• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Honest Question for Series S and PS5 Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lupin25

I like how you put a disclaimer of personal preference and no warring, but people still chose to be triggered over your opinion anyway.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Owner of the current 3 consoles:

XSX: My main console because of Gamepass, my existing 360 and XBO library, controller and better multi performance, also I prefer the XSX controller. It’s in my living room.

PS5: Only for PS exclusives, it’s in my basement.

Switch: Nintendo IPs and some exclusives, it’s in my gaming/office desktop
Same here except I have a 40 min bus commute so I play Diablo 2 on Switch.

I don’t get the hype about the DualSense, sure it’s a gigantic improvement compared to the DS4 but I still don’t see myself using it instead of the XSX controller. Novelty wears off, quality remains.

Neff

I have a PS5 and a Series X but I'll be sticking with PS5 for multiplats due to

1) Better controller
2) Better rumble
3) Quicker loading
4) Immeasurably better UI
5) About ten times more friends on PS5

It's easy. Keep the Series S for GP and games not availabls on PS5, and buy the rest on PS5. Doesn't need so much thinking and debating. Also if you're into VR keep an eye for PSVR.

And why would you buy a game on Xbox over PS5:

- Owning a PC so you can crossbuy.
- Crossplay with Xbox friends on PC.
- VRR (if it was Series X, and until PS5 has it, and if the game isn't stable on PS5).

For PS5:

- Higher res/fps.
- Bigger storage with smaller game sizes.
- Cheaper and better SSD expansions.
- DualSense.
- 3D audio.
- PSVR (soon PSVR2).
- And above all, much higher quality exclusives.

That's exactly what I do:

Series S for Gamepass/Backwards compatibility (X360, OG Xbox)/Emulation

PS5 for everything else

spons

Gold Member
I believe VRR should be a priority this generation and not an afterthought. I applaud Microsoft for implementing it.
My Switch gets the most love and I mainly play on Xbox Series S because of Game Pass and the large amount of backwards compatible games. So much good shit.
There's no technical reason I don't own a PS5 or actively looking to purchase one. It's mainly because I dislike most first party titles on it.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I love the haptic feedback and the adaptive triggers.

Saying not all games make great use of it is like saying not all games make great use of the rest of hardware. It’s a weird complaint, a no shit Sherlock moment.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I always buy multiple consoles. I agree that most games I play on the Series X are Game Pass games. Actually, all of them so far this gen.

The benefit of having multiple consoles is you always have something to play. There are periods of time where some of them collect dust but that is okay. Actually, right now all three are collecting dust while I play Lost Ark on PC. Probably will until my copy of Horizon Forbidden West arrives. My point is, it is nice to not lock yourself into one ecosystem if you don't have to because it provides options when you want them.
That is me too.
If I get bored from one system, i can go to the other system. This way, I have something to play all time.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I own a Series S and a PS5 DE.

The Series S is everything I expected. Good loading times, quick resume, native games look good on my 1080p monitor, great backwards compatibility. It cost £250 and the PS5 is 2.5 times as powerful, so of course it’s going to feel like a bigger step up.

The PS5 is an amazing console, as is the Series S if you keep your expectations in check.

dcmk7

Banned
No, it really is not. Previously I defended Xbox for its responsiveness, but lately it is clearly having issues. I get black screens when trying to access the list of Game Pass games. The act of simply holding the Xbox button to get to an OS menu takes a bit of time. Quick resume is nice, but I don't use it that much except for MS rewards hunting.

Xbox is far behind PlayStation in the OS/UI department. The simple act of changing my audio output from speakers to headset is so much easier on PlayStation.
Have noticed this a lot too since the 4k dashboard update. Has got a lot more sluggish in general.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I want to say that by starting this thread, I don’t want to start any kind of fights.
David Spade Good Luck GIF by CTV Comedy Channel

MikeM

I have all 3 (Ser S, X and PS5). Shit I also have GamePass via the 3 year hack thingy....

Among the 3, the winner is DUAL Sense. It is the best controller ever made.
This. I’m buying all my games on PS5 because of it. Series X is basically my GP and toddler’s game box now.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

If you’re a true gamer … you’ll buy all the consoles. All of them have various pros/cons when compared to the others.

Just enjoy them for what they are… there are no “winners” in a console race….

EdGalTBR

Banned
This thread is based on an old discussion that I’m just now privy to. I’m sure it’s discourse that’s tired and old but please humor me, I’m very curious.

To begin, I don’t have a 4K display.

I own a Series S because I figured a Series X would be overkill for my current setup.

I got a PS5 today.

Finally I’m starting a new generation, seeing it from both sides.

My question is, as an owner of both, why would I buy new games on Xbox? I have Gamepass and will use it to try out new games. Gamepass is a service I’ll always have, it’s incredible.

But in terms of “Next Generation” the Xbox Series feels like another half step. It’s the same shit, OS, basically the same controller, it doesn’t feel new to me.

The PS5 however has this crazy controller and a new, but clearly incremental OS.

I only want to purchase new games on PlayStation because I want to see how developers take advantage of the controller.

What’s funny is on both systems I’m like “holy shit this looks good and incredibly clear.”

Finally systems that can provide a true 1080P experience after more than a decade of bullshit stemming from the 360 and PS3 days.

But the PS5 feels different. It feels like a generational step to me.

Am I alone on this? I don’t care at all about console wars but I’m at a loss. Why wouldn’t I buy a PS5 game over an Xbox Series game with this controller?

I thought I’d go with Xbox this gen because I LOVED the 360, the achievements, the architecture, and I recently fell in love with the ONE, I was in!

But now, as I’m finding myself confused on how to work the PS5 interface and home screen, I’m realizing this is something actually new.

Owners of both, how do you feel? Are there games you prefer on one system than another? If so, what are your reasons?

Thanks!

EDIT:

I want to say that by starting this thread, I don’t want to start any kind of fights.

This thread comes out of my ignorance about both systems and wanting to hear other’s information, takes and thoughts.
If you like to play more on PS5, buy the games there.

The main Xbox advantages are BC and Play Anywhere. You know you will buy a game once and will play on future Xboxes and PCs.

BigLee74

Have noticed this a lot too since the 4k dashboard update. Has got a lot more sluggish in general.
👍 yep, but it’s not the whole dash.

For me it’s that the home menu takes forever to come up now if you’re in the middle of a game. It was always instant until the 4K dash update. It looks like it is now being popped out of memory when a game is running.

Ic3man

That's your opinion, mines different.

Xbox UI is good - excellent

Xbox controller is just perfect.

SSD is fast and in some cases faster than PS5.

Why do it need to be buy games on PS5? See op?

Last edited:

Skifi28

Sell them both for insane profit while you can and grab yourself of of them Stadias. They're the future and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Once it releases in Brazil, the war is over.

elliot5

👍 yep, but it’s not the whole dash.

For me it’s that the home menu takes forever to come up now if you’re in the middle of a game. It was always instant until the 4K dash update. It looks like it is now being popped out of memory when a game is running.
Thats been fixed with the feb update.

Topher

Gold Member
Well definitely anecdotal, I have been getting no black screens when accessing gamepass/store.

Maybe a hard reset will solve this.

Better response than "something on your end" nonsense at least. I've turned the console off entirely and unplugged it. Hopefully that will take care of the black screen. The UI sluggishness is well documented by others so that is certainly no anecdotal. I'm not sure what the cause is since it wasn't an issue previously. Perhaps having too many games in QR? Not sure.

ethomaz

Banned
Get a 4K TV dude
IMO not a good advice.
He will hates the Series S and 1080p games on PS5.

I have a PS5 and games that I though was fine when playing in a 1080p TV become really evident the messes resolution when I moved to 4k TV (Eg. Returnal).

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Better response than "something on your end" nonsense at least. I've turned the console off entirely and unplugged it. Hopefully that will take care of the black screen. The UI sluggishness is well documented by others so that is certainly no anecdotal. I'm not sure what the cause is since it wasn't an issue previously. Perhaps having too many games in QR? Not sure.
Think hard reset is different, u have to hold the power button for like 10seconds.

Gamepass and the store are like websites, the info is from cloud not something on the ssd.

What do you exactly mean by UI sluggishness? I agree the movement and animations are slower then playstation but this is a design thing, not a performance, I have timed tasks on ps5 and xsx everything is either faster or the same as the ps5.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I only buy digital games on Xbox that are more indie based or platform based. The rest is GamePass. Occasionally I'll buy a game like Diablo or FromSoft digitally as I like to be able to play them anywhere. Very rare though.

Lognor

Banned
If I had to choose between a Series S and a PS5 I might go with the PS5. Might. Not sure. Game Pass is that good. You should get rid of the Series S and get the Series X. It's one of the best consoles I've ever owned.

Topher

Gold Member
Think hard reset is different, u have to hold the power button for like 10seconds.

Gamepass and the store are like websites, the info is from cloud not something on the ssd.

What do you exactly mean by UI sluggishness? I agree the movement and animations are slower then playstation but this is a design thing, not a performance, I have timed tasks on ps5 and xsx everything is either faster or the same as the ps5.

At times the lower level tiles take a few seconds longer to load. At times pushing the Xbox button on the controller doesn't bring up the menu. Things like that. I've had no such issues on PS5.

This isn't a major issue though and I'm really not trying to complain. Just general observations brought up in the conversation. I've gotten used to the Xbox UI which I didn't like at first and I'm cool with it overall.

Sosokrates

At times the lower level tiles take a few seconds longer to load. At times pushing the Xbox button on the controller doesn't bring up the menu. Things like that. I've had no such issues on PS5.

This isn't a major issue though and I'm really not trying to complain. Just general observations brought up in the conversation. I've gotten used to the Xbox UI which I didn't like at first and I'm cool with it overall.
Loading games is a separate issue to OS performance. The xbox button not responding is actually a physical issue not an OS one, the xbox button requires a hard press, if you just quickly tap it, it wont regesiter. They need to make the button less deep and more resonsive.

Topher

Gold Member
Loading games is a separate issue to OS performance. The xbox button not responding is actually a physical issue not an OS one, the xbox button requires a hard press, if you just quickly tap it, it wont regesiter. They need to make the button less deep and more resonsive.

Hard press doesn't help. I've tried. I didn't say anything about loading games. I said the tiles.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
...but clearly incremental OS.
Not sure what you mean by this. I assume you mean a revamped OS which is true. As far as it's actual function, it's been panned for UI design, having things in odd places, etc... and not being overall intuitive.

It will take some getting used to, but you'll be flying around it in no time. Personally, I prefer the Xbox UI much better for ease of use, but the PS5 looks better.

TrebleShot

Have all three and recently invested in Geforce Now.

PS5 is the main platform.
- Better games.
- Dualsense, massive USP for me, its not a gimmick as others have claimed, which is pretty naive in my opinion. Play any racing, fighting or FPS with it then go to without and its a massively jarring experience.
- 3D Audio is better than Atmos
- Load times and quick access cards, quick resume is cool n all but you don't need it with these load times and the activity cards.
- Expansion to memory is far cheaper and games take up less room.
- There is little to no delta in performance (fps/res)
- Most of my friends play on PS5
- Third party and Indies prioritise PS platforms due to install base so you get nice 3D/DS Implementation on even smaller titles.
- Remasters of older games enriching the experience not just res/fps boosts example GOT, TLOU, Uncharted etc etc just a shame you have to pay for some.
- Audacious game prices
- Popularity of PS4 has hampered the PS5 games as the cross gen aspect is still an issue.

XBX
- Used only for GP never purchased a game on the system and don't think I ever will.
- Controller is cheap and hollow feeling and has no tangible difference to what we had on 360.
- Ui is probably the worst UI I have used or experienced on a computer type device, its a shambles and considering MS is a software company utterly baffling
- Some games have been fun to kill an hour or two (Ascent, FH5, Halo Infinite) but on the most part MS games are not very good.
- Pay for atmos is a joke.
- Several glitches and odd behaviour of the console, online handling of quick resume is shite and the functionality itself is much slower than people would have you believe.

XSS
- Beautiful and compact
- Runs most games well and you won't notice much difference

Geforce Now
- High end PC gaming spec for a much smaller price
- Uses streaming, High speeds needed but if you have it almost native experience

Just rambling

Sosokrates

Hard press doesn't help. I've tried. I didn't say anything about loading games. I said the tiles.

Yeah well, ive been pressing the xbox button just now, if I do it hard, it never failed i did it like 50x in a row but if u dont press hard enough it wont register. Never had an issue with game tiles loading.

kingfey

Banned
The gamepass store on xbox is little bit slow. It's another client system, that is added to xbox. It's why it's having issues.

It doesnt come close to the pc version though. That thing is nightmare there.

I don't have a PS5 but I have a series s and x. I think the series s is a great machine but I would see it more as a gamepass machine if I had a ps5

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah well, ive been pressing the xbox button just now, if I do it hard, it never failed i did it like 50x in a row but if u dont press hard enough it wont register. Never had an issue with game tiles loading.

Like you said, this is probably anecdotal. I'll try the hard reset thing. Thanks.

Can wait for MS to release their DualSense rip off so we can see some posters change their tune on haptics being a gimmick.

Has many xbox owners said this. Its one of those things I wish the Xbox had. I trigger thing might be seem as a gimmick to some (not me) but I think a lot of people do praise the better rumble feature.

SkylineRKR

At first glance Xbox OS doesn't seem to be anything new and the controller is nothing new either.

But then you play games. And you realize Xbox has Dolby Atmos, Vision, VRR. Furthermore, it has quick resume. It doesn't always work as intended but for most offline single player it does. Its just something I realize is very good once I play on PS5 again. I am right now busy with Exhumed on PS5 and then I try some other games and I'm like oh yeah, the game has to launch from scratch. Partially its on me as there are cards, but those cards are hit n miss though. They might take you to the boot screens anyway, or they don't work. You want to do the console to take you to the spot you stopped playing without having to browse through anything.

Its also only possible on Xbox to play certain PS3 era games, like Sonic Generations, Dead Space, Mirrors Edge etc at improved framerate and/or resolution.

PS5 DualSense is better. And its cheaper to expand your memory. I bought a WD black a few weeks ago for 150 ish, my PS5 is now rocking approx 1.7gb. I don't think I will ever buy Xbox expansion. Its by Seagate, its proprietary so it won't hit bottom pricing ever. On the flip side certain X|S games do run from external.

Last edited:

welshrat

Same here with Series X. I bought one and love it but am unlikely to buy anything for it unless exclusives don't go to gamepass. There is very little discernible difference between PS5 and Series X so I guess it really is pick your poison if you have to pick one. One feature that is very cool though is being able to pickup where I left on PC games that are on Game Pass.

I own both systems and I can say I agree with OP. The PS5 has felt like more of a next gen experience and new experience in general. The games have been great like Demon Souls, Rift Apart, etc.

But I still enjoy my Series X, my issue with Xbox has been that the game pass games haven’t been good. I am excited to play Starfield but other than that all of the new 3rd party games have unimpressive, from outriders, back 4 blood to Rainbow Six Extraction.

Tschumi

As someone who has owned both and ultimately gone with ps5, i say this:

Ps5 has incomparably better games to date.

If i was honest about how much I should care about games at this age I'd have gamepass and a series s.

Analogue placement and rumble triggers on xbox is my preference.

If Sony's pad is better for you with its set up (I know their triggers are more advanced on ps5) then it is likely xbox will be exclusives and gamepass machine.

You have the best of both worlds however you build your collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom