• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Honest Question for Series S and PS5 Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is based on an old discussion that I’m just now privy to. I’m sure it’s discourse that’s tired and old but please humor me, I’m very curious.

To begin, I don’t have a 4K display.

I own a Series S because I figured a Series X would be overkill for my current setup.

I got a PS5 today.

Finally I’m starting a new generation, seeing it from both sides.

My question is, as an owner of both, why would I buy new games on Xbox? I have Gamepass and will use it to try out new games. Gamepass is a service I’ll always have, it’s incredible.

But in terms of “Next Generation” the Xbox Series feels like another half step. It’s the same shit, OS, basically the same controller, it doesn’t feel new to me.

The PS5 however has this crazy controller and a new, but clearly incremental OS.

I only want to purchase new games on PlayStation because I want to see how developers take advantage of the controller.

What’s funny is on both systems I’m like “holy shit this looks good and incredibly clear.”

Finally systems that can provide a true 1080P experience after more than a decade of bullshit stemming from the 360 and PS3 days.

But the PS5 feels different. It feels like a generational step to me.

Am I alone on this? I don’t care at all about console wars but I’m at a loss. Why wouldn’t I buy a PS5 game over an Xbox Series game with this controller?

I thought I’d go with Xbox this gen because I LOVED the 360, the achievements, the architecture, and I recently fell in love with the ONE, I was in!

But now, as I’m finding myself confused on how to work the PS5 interface and home screen, I’m realizing this is something actually new.

Owners of both, how do you feel? Are there games you prefer on one system than another? If so, what are your reasons?

Thanks!

EDIT:

I want to say that by starting this thread, I don’t want to start any kind of fights.

This thread comes out of my ignorance about both systems and wanting to hear other’s information, takes and thoughts.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Vrr and atmos are worth more to me than dual sense which feels toy like and already caused me to feel RSI with spidey.

Quick resume, a solid controller, smart deliver (believe it or not), price of games, back compat honoring my library, gamepass, emulation, and a well optimized interface just make Series X my primary system to buy and play games.
Angry Batman Returns GIF by HBO Max

reinking

Gold Member
I always buy multiple consoles. I agree that most games I play on the Series X are Game Pass games. Actually, all of them so far this gen.

The benefit of having multiple consoles is you always have something to play. There are periods of time where some of them collect dust but that is okay. Actually, right now all three are collecting dust while I play Lost Ark on PC. Probably will until my copy of Horizon Forbidden West arrives. My point is, it is nice to not lock yourself into one ecosystem if you don't have to because it provides options when you want them.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I owned all the PS & Xbox consoles, so I’m not hating on one or the other. I have always preferred PlayStation just because I liked the variety more. I’ve also played a great variety on both systems. Last Gen I mainly played exclusives and Tomb Raider on my Xbox One. I didn’t need an XBO-X or anything else. I played through Halo Infinite on an Xbox One.

I don’t play my Xbox One that often to warrant purchasing a Series S or Series X. My daughter loves Sea of Thieves and Outer Wilds on GamePass. I’ve even purchased Ancient Coins for her. I also own quite a few awesome games on there myself. I don’t see myself changing my preference. I will play on any console because I own them, but I’ll always prefer PS due to importing, JRPGs, obscure games, and exclusives. I’ve also owned Sega, Nintendo, Sony, SNK, and Microsoft consoles. If a game comes out that I like then I’ll play it.

shoplifter

I have all three, PS5, and XSX/S. I tend tk buy multiplats on Xbox these days unless it’s a clear win for Ps5 if only because I trust Microsoft to respect my game library more than I trust Sony. If you’d asked me that 8 years ago my answer would be different but we are where we are.

Honestly, just have fun and buy what you like. It’s vidya, not something truly important in the grand scheme of things.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
PS5 was quicker out the gate with their next gen games and related implementations, but it looks like next gen content for Series consoles will be coming this year so exclusives such as the anticipated AAA Starfield that's coming in December should provide that next gen feel you currently have with PS5.

I think some of your question was alluding to dualsense features for multiplatform titles; based on my understanding, dualsense support is hit or miss, especially on 3rd party games.

You're comparing a PS5 to Series S? lol

They both fall under the category of "current gen console" so it's fair to compare on that basis.

elliot5

i mean, performance but seeing as you have a Series S then it's whatever. The PS5 will almost always outperform Series S outside of niche situations like .. Psychonauts 2. DualSense is a neat thing, but it depends on the implementation and the novelty may wear off eventually, but yeah if it's a game that ISN'T on game pass and you were planning on buying it at retail then obv PS5 is the way to go.

Only thing I can think of is buying digitally on Xbox can be worth it for future enhancements and BC next-next-gen idk

ReBurn

Gold Member
I have PS5, XSX and XSS. Ever since One X I tend to go with Xbox for general gaming and PS5 for the exclusives. Especially now with Game Pass. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I'm finding it hard to adjust to Dualsense. Like the haptics in Sifu when in the rain are really cool. But the triggers in R&C frustrate me when I have to pull through a resisting trigger to get the behavior I want. I know some people really like it and that's cool. But it will take me a while to get used to it.

Well, the PS5 is a top-of-the-line console. Series S is a budget console. Of course the Series S won't feel like a big generational leap.

And I prefer the xbox controller. Haptic feedback on the dual sense is a gimmick.

Deerock71

Well, they both run UE 5, which will power a great many games this gen. This difference is the not-so-insignificant price point and a slight (yes, slight) hit on graphics. These are things to consider when making a purchase.

Rykan

I used to own both a PS5 and a Series X before I sold them due to moving abroad. Reading your post, I can't help but feel that you're just engulfed in the "Shiny new toy" honeymoon phase.

I personally think that the Xbox Series X is a much larger leap than the PS5, it just doesn't "look" that way because its UI is simple and not as flashy, but therefore much easier to use. You're not struggling to navigate the PS5 UI because it's new, it's because it is a mess that values style over functionality.

The Playstation 5 controller is great. I always turn off rumble in every single console I own and the PS5 is the first console where I keep it on. However if you're expecting Astro's Playroom functionality in every game, you'll be disappointed. Most implementation of dual sense is pretty poor and sadly no Game I've played yet comes anywhere near what Astro's playroom does.

That...is pretty much where the positives end as far as PS5 is concerned. The Series X has the PS5 beat in every other area.

- The Series X is whisper quiet. It's an amazing feat of engineering. No matter which game I'm playing, the Series X is nearly completely silent. The PS5 has significant issues here. Coil whine is a large problem to the point where it's the first console I ever owned where I had to have phones to use it. I can deal with loud fans no problem, but the grating sound of coil while is atrocious.

- Quick Resume. It's super handy. It's not quite there yet as its pretty buggy, but when it does work, its great.

- Smart Delivery. This is something that is so easy to take for granted. You don't have to worry about getting the right version or to transfer your save file from one gen to the next. With PS5, you have to make sure you're downloading the right version and transfering your save file from one gen to the next is a joke. In many cases you have to download BOTH versions just to transfer. It's ridiculous.

- Backwards compatibility. To me, this is the best feature of the series X. Backwards compatibility up to 3 generations with enhancements. Playing Xbox 360 games at 4k is fantastic. Playing previous gen games and having the framerate improved at a system level is basically technical wizardry.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
While the daul sense is nice, the seriesX controller is more comfortable and therefore is better for gaming, which is kinda of a big deal considering thats its main purpose.

As for the OS, the animation and movements are faster in the PS5, BUT THE SERIESX OS is easy to navigate and loads slightly quicker.

As for games, multiplats will look and perform far better on PS5 then a S, but like no shit sherlock.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Well, they both run UE 5, which will power a great many games this gen. This difference is the not-so-insignificant price point and a slight (yes, slight) hit on graphics. These are things to consider when making a purchase.

If he planed on getting a PS5 for multiplats why even bother buying a series S?

I mean, if it just for exclusives then cool, he should do that. But comparing them like this is a bit odd.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I'm still holding off on a XSX until some more exclusives release. I'm waiting to see how Hellblade 2, Starfield, Indiana Jones, Perfect Dark and these other games turn out.

For now I have my 2013 launch Xbox One still lol though it's not at my current place, I let family keep it for a while. PS5 is keeping me happy

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I have both a series X and a PS5.

Love and only use the series X for Gamepass. Since I never owned a Xbox before, I already got quite some enjoyment out of it if I only count 'legacy' titles.

Love the PS5 for its exclusives and controller.

In general I look up comparisons to see which version of a game is running the best, but if it's about equal, I always buy for ps5. Others, it's more of an emotional connection. For example, Elden Ring I pre-ordered for PS5, since I have played and owned all is predecessors on the PlayStation exo-system.

I actually own a switch as well, but the has been gathering dust for a while now.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally don’t have much issue with PS5’s OS, it does Its job and I don’t really care about custom background or other unnecessary features, as long as I can put the disk and play my games I’m happy.

im sorry. but dualsense kinda sucks for the most part. Its cool in like 3 things. And i can't play shooters without 4 back paddles
Quick Resume is the best thing this gen. As someone thats had xbox/playstation both every gen. Theres a laundry list of little things that make xbox better than playstation. PS consoles make u want to drive ur head thru a wall with some of the dumb things they do that u dont have to deal with on xbox.

Playstation should mostly be for exclusives imo. Because i've bought tons of games on Playstation over the years and with the benefit of hindsight, I should've bought all of those multiplats on Xbox. Because so many of them would be backwards compatible and have FPS boosts.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
First: as others have mentioned, you really do need a 4K TV with HDR to truly appreciate this gen.

That out of the way: Sony certainly did more to differentiate this new console from the previous generation, yes. In addition to the DualSense, their 3D audio can create a fair facsimile of proper spatial sound from ordinary TV speakers or a non-surround soundbar - and it of course really shines through a pair of supported headphones.

Microsoft may have plans to update their controllers, though - on two different occasions I received emails from Microsoft directing me to a short survey asking me if I'd like the same kinds of features found with the PS5 (DualSense, 3D audio) with the Xbox. Months apart.

Hoppa

My Xbox is a GamePass machine exclusively and I’ve been enjoying it a lot. Maybe try the elite controller? I don’t know much about it personally but I hear it’s good

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's easy. Keep the Series S for GP and games not availabls on PS5, and buy the rest on PS5. Doesn't need so much thinking and debating. Also if you're into VR keep an eye for PSVR.

And why would you buy a game on Xbox over PS5:

- Owning a PC so you can crossbuy.
- Crossplay with Xbox friends on PC.
- VRR (if it was Series X, and until PS5 has it, and if the game isn't stable on PS5).

For PS5:

- Higher res/fps.
- Bigger storage with smaller game sizes.
- Cheaper and better SSD expansions.
- DualSense.
- 3D audio.
- PSVR (soon PSVR2).
- And above all, much higher quality exclusives.

Last edited:
If you’re sticking with the S, then it makes sense to buy multiplats on the PS5. They will look and run better. You’ll have more storage space and the controller. Personally I don’t find anything special about the DS, or my Series X controller for that matter. To each their own.

Stick with the S for GamePass titles and exclusives. Personally I find the X to be the superior hardware. For one it’s so much quieter, it’s really an engineering feat that goes mostly underrated. Smart Delivery went from a punchline to something actually very useful. And the BC… good lord the BC.

BigLee74

So you own an S because you figured the X would be overkill, yet you got a PS5?

You are disappointed that the Series OS is the same as the One, yet you get confused by the PS5 OS but that’s ok because it’s new yet ‘incremental’.

I recommend you just play your games and enjoy them without the drama. Both systems have their pluses.

My Xbox is a GamePass machine exclusively and I’ve been enjoying it a lot. Maybe try the elite controller? I don’t know much about it personally but I hear it’s good
I bought an elite when I bought my series X, and I never use it. I hate the trigger buttons. I still use my One X controller

cireza

Banned
Series X and PS5 are pretty much the exact same thing, only in a different form factor. I don't understand how you can like one and dislike the other.

Back then during the 16 bits or 32 bits era consoles were actually different.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah, we went through this at launch. Same controller, same UI, no exclusives. No idea what MS was thinking.

But since then, the xbox os has proved to have its own set of incredible features. 60 fps OS support for BC titles. Quick resume which the PS5 doesnt have. VRS is a huge deal that Sony has been MIA on for over a year now. And XSX versions (who told you to buy a series s???) are better than PS5 versions more often than not when it comes to resolution or framerate. Though most of the time, its pretty much a tie between the two consoles.

Soon the new OS novelty will wear off and you will realize you wont be using half of the features. i cant tell you the last time i used the hints feature. You will find yourself turning off the adaptive triggers because they dont really go in every game. You will find yourself turning off the haptics in multiplayer games because your hands will be sore after a long session, not to mention how aiming actually gets harder with the controller shaking like a vibrator.

Gamepass has made buying games pretty much needless. It's a big miscalculation imo. I havent bought an MS game in years thanks to gamepass, but I guess thats kind of pro-consumer in a way since its saved me a lot of money. TBH, why would I care if Halo made its money back or not. Just enjoy the games.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
At a 1080p level, yes PS5 has more advantages, imo.

While the daul sense is nice, the seriesX controller is more comfortable and therefore is better for gaming, which is kinda of a big deal considering thats its main purpose.

As for the OS, the animation and movements are faster in the PS5, BUT THE SERIESX OS is easy to navigate and loads slightly quicker.

Opinions. The normal Series X controller is no more/less comfortable to me than Dualsense. And no, for me, XSX, is definitely slower and more sluggish than PS5's OS. Not saying you are wrong, I simply have a different take.

Gamepass has made buying games pretty much needless.

Are you just talking about MS games?

Last edited:

SSfox

PS5 is a much better console imo, better hardware, better games (it's not perfect (yet?) but), better pad, the 3D Audio.

The only aspect where Xbox series beat PS5 all the way is the BC, not only it's there but it's very well made.

Another point where Xbox may(?) in in the long Run beat PS, will be having the most complete experience for multi games, if Sony will keep it with the censorship, this will give a huge plus and pro for the Xbox side, i mean this aspect is speculatif for now but for sure it's important to note that if Sony will continue the censorship this will become a huge con on ps side while also a huge plus on Xbox side.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Jesus christ some of the responses in this thread. The amount of defensiveness is off the charts.

Riky

$MSFT
Just because something is new it doesn't make it better, the UI experience on Xbox is really good, I have seven Xbox consoles connected in my house and I get a unified experience between them. I don't get that when I move from my PS4 Pro to PS5, I actually find the old PS UI easier to navigate.
As for the controller the battery drain is so bad I've turned the haptics off as I'm forever charging the pad, the difference seems to be very small when you have got them on and doesn't make sense in some games like Dirt 5 for example, resistance in your triggers is dumb and unrealistic, it just using a feature for the sake of it rather than it adding anything, in that game the rumble triggers are far better..
As for Series S just direct comparing it to something £200 more expensive is pointless, it has its advantages like power draw, being smaller and being quieter but is obviously not going to match resolution and settings on consoles more than twice as powerful.
It's a great bedroom console though, on a 1080p TV the gap narrows dramatically and you benefit from the next gen features like quick resume and smart delivery with a unified simple save system that makes it a perfect companion to your main Series X console.

Riky

$MSFT

As for games, multiplats will look and perform far better on PS5 then a S, but like no shit sherlock.

The Xbox UI on a 120hz screen is far slicker, it makes a massive difference being able to force 120hz output at all times on Xbox.

Topher

Gold Member
Just because something is new it doesn't make it better, the UI experience on Xbox is really good,

No, it really is not. Previously I defended Xbox for its responsiveness, but lately it is clearly having issues. I get black screens when trying to access the list of Game Pass games. The act of simply holding the Xbox button to get to an OS menu takes a bit of time. Quick resume is nice, but I don't use it that much except for MS rewards hunting.

Xbox is far behind PlayStation in the OS/UI department. The simple act of changing my audio output from speakers to headset is so much easier on PlayStation.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
No, it really is not. Previously I defended Xbox for its responsiveness, but lately it is clearly having issues. I get black screens when trying to access the list of Game Pass games. The act of simply holding the Xbox button to get to an OS menu takes a bit of time.

Xbox is far behind PlayStation in the OS/UI department. The simple act of changing my audio output from speakers to headset is so much easier on PlayStation.

Must be something your end, I don't get any black screens. Like I said forcing 120hz makes it the slickest UI by far.

Owner of the current 3 consoles:

XSX: My main console because of Gamepass, my existing 360 and XBO library, controller and better multi performance, also I prefer the XSX controller. It’s in my living room.

PS5: Only for PS exclusives, it’s in my basement.

Switch: Nintendo IPs and some exclusives, it’s in my gaming/office desktop

Fredrik

I used to think the haptics were awesome too but now I barely think about it, cool in some games, meh in most, drains the battery.
I mostly play Sony 1st party games on PS5, it has become a classic exclusives box just like Nintendo consoles for me. The exclusives are in a league of their own imo, there just aren’t enough of them, I usually play 3-4 games per year. Looking forward to play Horizon Forbidden West soon.

XSX is definitely samey if you’ve had XB1, feels like an evolution rather than a new generation. But it’s just because of the OS, which you spend like 5 seconds in before starting a game. Sooner or later you’ll learn to appreciate the extra power, quick resume, silence, BC and framerate boost, emulation, storage solution etc. It’s a nice box. In short it’s my living room Gamepass box. Main platform for this reason. Haven’t bought a single game in over a year now but played over 30.

cormack12

Gold Member

Yeah, this is daft OP. I've no idea what the premise of the thread is. You have a console that's been made for 1080 resolutions and has cut back on some hardware contrasted against the competitor (which only has premium in both its versions) and can use the surplus power to push other options in performance/quality. And then you say both systems look pretty much the same to your eyes.

I have an XSX and a PS5. Here are my thoughts on your questions though:

1. Third party games: A lot of third party stuff is on GamePass already (or there is enough to play until the price drops e.g. ME:Legendary Edition). But it's swings and roundabouts. For example, I bought D2:R on the Series X but KoA on PS5. Generally if I know there is going to be a multiplayer aspect (co-op predominantly), I plug for the Series X. The main reason is the LFG functionality is just superb for me and bridges that gap between casual matchmaking and wanting to go onto more competitive focused groups (for example Rainbow 6 Extraction or Aliens: Fireteam Elite). And obviously any single player exclusives I pick up on my PS5, so Returnal, Sifu, Sackboy, GT7 and Forbidden West. Ultimately I'm spending more time in the Xbox ecosystem so it just seems sensible to keep my games where I'm most spending my gaming time I guess. I would never buy a third party game on the PS5 just to see how they use the DualSense.

2. DualSense: I turn off most of the haptics and adaptive stuff. I don't like them and 90% of what they do is lame with them (footsteps and rain? C'mon). I've played all the big titles that everyone raves over them (e.g Control: UE, Demon's Souls, Last of Us Pt. II, Miles Morales, Returnal), and I've also played third parties that try to use them (e.g. Fifa 22 and Godfall). The only one that has used it in any sort of interesting, gameplay affecting way has been Returnal with the half aim/alternate fire. For multiplayer it's just a hindrance I find, and for single player I've no idea how it adds up to more 'immersion'. But to each their own. It's not something I would ever say make a purchasing decision on. But then I turn off vibration in most games as well (unless they have some stupid mechanic where the controller vibrates when trying to find something obscure to interact with).

3. The OS: I hadn't had an xbox in like a decade, and initially I thought the Xbox UI was cluttered, messy and difficult to find things. After some rearranging and customising I have it how I like. There are still some usability issues and default layout is still too garish/cluttered for me. I hate Xbox Assist being at the bottom of the list instead of 'close application'. The video editing tools and capture is not particularly good in terms of toolsets. They just had different strategies so I'm hoping a decent size overhaul comes soon. But it's the complete opposite of the PlayStation one, the Xbox one is about leveraging the options given to you and curating your screens through tiles and groups. So you get out what you're prepared to put in, though it's not perfect by any means.
On the flip side, I love minimal UIs so the PS5 one is fine for me. The latest beta is going to extend the tiles available and you will be able to pin favourites. It's quick, snappy and the share tool is best in class. However, what they did with game base was a travesty and they are still trying to fix it now. It's actually a good idea but implemented poorly, and I think they're now trying to retrofit a more traditional user experience, which was never the issue. They have gone backwards with some usability stuff as well. Having to use the control center instead of the ingrained long press has only just broken the muscle memory many of us had. I'm sure if they had kept most of the actual functional use in the same places, then it would still be a firm favourite due to familiarity.

4. Achievements: The trophy system still translates quite well and it's good to see Sony first party are dialling back stupid trophy requirements, but you can go too far and trivialise the purpose of the system (See TLOU II). On the flip side, Xbox really have catching up to do. Diamond achievements are a good idea but as they scale from the user count then GamePass has completely fucked this up. If every game suddenly has 10 million players try it, then most achievements will be 'special' or 'rare'. I also don't like the way they group DLC and base. They should be seperate and when you look at the tracker, it's not clear which is which. You have to use trueachievements which is 100% better but still a cluttered mess. So I can't really see how close I am to completing the base 1000 in FH4, just I have 1045/3610 gamer score (unless I use TA).
I do like how easy it is to track each individual achievement on the xbox app, down to how many x of y have you killed, this seems to be hidden in the PS5 menu's and only viewable when you track an achievement which seems odd. Would be a good addition to the Sony app imo.

5. Other: You also have to consider the back catalogue as well. For someone like me, who was PlayStation exclusive last generation I have played pretty much every 1st party single player flagship from Sony already, so the PS+ Collection was worthless to me. Generally, it's been a bit barren so being able to go into the Xbox and immediately get access to play all the Gears titles I never played onwards or the MCC as well as FH4 instantly ate up a lot of idle hours. But that swings both ways, if I'd only been Xbox, then I would have had about 400 hours of high end single player games to play through on PlayStation. That's why I've been spending more time on the Xbox, but if Sony had had H:FW ready to go that could have been different.

Ultimately OP, you bought the Series S as a GamePass machine so it's not a fair contest/even comparison. If you have a premium console and a scaled down version of the console then any new games you're going to buy on the premium console eve if its only for the different performance profiles. Otherwise you'd be insane.

WakeTheWolf

I mean at the moment I have a Series S and will be getting a PS5 because it's like a best of both worlds. Makes the most sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom