• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Honor has prepared a new phone for gamers. Honor 80GT, $520, 120Hz, FHD+ OLED, 16GB RAM, 256GB storage, Snapdragon8 Gen1+

https://serbia.postsen.com/news/105886/Honor-has-prepared-a-new-phone-for-gamers.html
The Chinese brand Honor has introduced a new phone aimed at the gaming population, and is part of the Honor 80 series.

The Honor 80 GT is presented, and it is adorned with a premium design. It has a rectangular camera module on the back, placed vertically and composed of two parts. The phone comes in Interstellar Black, Streamer Mirror and Light Rain Meteor colors.

When it comes to specifications, the device is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 1+ processor, coupled with 12/16GB of LPDDR5 RAM and 256GB of UFS 3.1 storage.

The phone’s display has a size of 6.67 inches, is flat and uses an OLED panel with a 120Hz refresh rate and 1400 nits of brightness. There is also a separate IP for the display, which increases the framerate in games by up to 100% and reduces consumption by up to 25 percent.

In terms of cameras, the Honor 80 GT has a 54MP main sensor (Sony IMX800), a 9MP ultra-wide sensor and a 2MP macro. There is a 16MP selfie camera on the front.

https://basic-tutorials.com/news/ho...-gen-1-and-1400-nits-bright-display-unveiled/
The Honor 80 GT focuses on an excellent price-performance ratio and is equipped with Qualcomm’s latest top SoC Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1. It also comes with 12 GB or 16 GB of working memory and 256 GB of system memory.

The smartphone measures 162.5 mm x 75.3 mm x 7.9 mm and weighs 187 grams or 195 grams depending on the color. Honor relies on a 6.67-inch OLED display in 20:9 format, which resolves in 2,400 x 1,080 pixels, is 120 Hz fast and gets up to 1,400 nits bright.

The battery has a capacity of 4,800 mAh and can be quickly charged with a maximum of 66 watts via USB-C cable. 5G is on board as well as two SIM card slots, WLAN 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, Bluetooth 5.2 including support for LDAC, aptX and aptX HD, and NFC.

Strong cameras​

The Honor 80 GT also has a lot to offer when it comes to the camera setup. The main camera relies on Sony’s IMX800 sensor and resolves at 54 megapixels with an f/1.9 aperture, plus an 8MP ultra-wide and 2MP macro camera. Videos are possible in 4K with EIS. However, none of the cameras offers optical image stabilization.

On the front is a 16-megapixel selfie camera that works with an aperture of f/2.4 and records videos with 2,520 x 1,080 pixels. MagicUI 7.0 based on Android 12 is used as the operating system of the Honor 80 GT.
A3YVQRYVA5EKXAZMVCOFBTXSKI.jpg

003v0AaFly1h9hhuxzpkdj63ut2kj7wj02.jpg

Honor-showed-Honor-80-GT-in-its-entirety.png

There's been a lot of gaming phones released this year, and it seems that there are still some coming out near the end of the year as well.

For the price of converted $520USD, I would say that this phone actually doesn't seem that bad considering it's features and not being anywhere near as expensive as the other, however the big issue is the RAM. What applications actually need 16GB of RAM on phones? Even the most competitive games played in tourneys can run on a 1+ Nord phone so I still feel that the RAM is just something these companies believe makes then "more" gamer appealing.

At least 16GB is reasonable compared to those other expensive gaming phones where they had 32GB and 64GB which make even less sense, for a phone, and one of those was LCD.

Sony also released a gaming phone this year and brought a mobile developer but we have yet to see anything come out of that yet. It makes me wonder how many of these gaming phones have games in the works to show off titles that prove the specs are needed.

I will give Honor credit here though, you're getting pretty decent specs for $520 otherwise and they managed to avoid hitting the $800 or higher price similar speced phones were priced at earlier.

I think the biggest annoyance I have with many of these phones is the refusal to upgrade the display higher than Full HD+ with a bunch of gimmicks, at least do ultra FHD+ or something around 1440 to 4K(which Sony is still the only phone maker going with 4K in 2022), all those other gimmicks don't add anything and just drain the battery the same as if you had a better display anyway.

Skifi28

I feel like so out of touch with the phone market. Do mobile games really need as much ram as my PC has?

Isn't the Redmagic 9 Pro the best flagship Android phone right now, specs wise? $650-$800 is not bad for a SD8 G3 + 16GB RAM + 256GB ROM + AMOLED 120Hz panel device tbh.

Famipan

TIL Android phones uses the double of RAM compared to iPhones. And iPhone still outperforms Snapdragons.
Most important for mobile gaming for me is cooling solutions. Overheating leads to throttling and then freezing.
I'm thinking of getting a gaming grip with built-in cooler such as this, or a DualShock 4 phone mount + smartphone cooler:
61P5y8Nm7ML._AC_UY545_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
TIL Android phones uses the double of RAM compared to iPhones. And iPhone still outperforms Snapdragons.
Most important for mobile gaming for me is cooling solutions. Overheating leads to throttling and then freezing.
I'm thinking of getting a gaming grip with built-in cooler such as this, or a DualShock 4 phone mount + smartphone cooler:
61P5y8Nm7ML._AC_UY545_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg
You're comparing the SoC performance and the RAM capacity, that makes no sense.
Android have more RAM because it's used as a selling point, android phones get virtually no benefit from having more than 8GB of RAM, same as iPhones.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Isn't the Redmagic 9 Pro the best flagship Android phone right now, specs wise? $650-$800 is not bad for a SD8 G3 + 16GB RAM + 256GB ROM + AMOLED 120Hz panel device tbh.

Wouldn't doubt it. This thread, however, is one year old.

StereoVsn

Yeah, it is very well specced and cooled. If one really wants a gaming device in that form factor it is the best one.

If one wants a Phone with good camera and gaming capabilities I am not certain I would recommend it since it’s ZTE and we are back to all data going to CCP.

For just gaming as long as you use a separate Google account it is pretty damn good.

Wouldn't doubt it. This thread, however, is one year old.

Dang, this forum needs a very clear necrobump icon that clearly is in your face about it when it happens.

Yeah, it is very well specced and cooled. If one really wants a gaming device in that form factor it is the best one.

If one wants a Phone with good camera and gaming capabilities I am not certain I would recommend it since it’s ZTE and we are back to all data going to CCP.

For just gaming as long as you use a separate Google account it is pretty damn good.

I'm guessing Motorola will jump on the SD8 G3 with w/e flagship device they come up with next year, but their software backend team is the most shit tier of all Android phone manufacturers. Some of their devices haven't even gotten Android 13 yet, when the whole Android ecosystem is moving towards Android 14, as we speak. Also, they have mediocre cameras, even in their flagships. But once you use a Moto device, it's hard to use any other Android device due to the absolute near stock Android experience, no other manufacturer offers. Absolutely no bloatware, cleanest experience, and best bang for buck price for hardware spec in the market. But I cannot recommend them to anyone due to the above reasons.

Guess Pixel and the Galaxy phones are the only worthy Android flagships worthy of spending money on still, and the downside is ads/bloatware. Not sure how Sony is doing with their Xperia line of phones these days.

yurinka

They should have announced it with For Honor as a launch game
ForHonor_og_meta.jpg

I can't even begin to imagine how much spyware from the CCP this thing will have.
The spyware from the many USA+allies agencies already drains the battery a lot, I don't think that adding the Chinese on top would change a lot the phone performance or battery life.

If I wanted to give the CPC all my information I'd just install a Hoyoverse game, thanks though.
Back in the days Amstrad CPC was my favorite microcomputer

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Dang, this forum needs a very clear necrobump icon that clearly is in your face about it when it happens.
Some threads should be fine to necro. If there's a thread about thing x, not as news but like an OT that isn't an OT, about a particular thing, a discussion thread, and I wanna discuss it then I should be able to without making a stupid thread just for a minor question regarding it.

But I've gotten warned for it before.

Of course this isn't one such thread.

Otherwise it's probably not hard to simply automatically lock threads after x time has passed and avoid any necros altogether. But that's not done so I guess folks understand that's not how every thread should work. So I guess warnings for doing it are arbitrary. Meh, whatever.

Last edited:

Hudo

They should have announced it with For Honor as a launch game
ForHonor_og_meta.jpg

The spyware from the many USA+allies agencies already drains the battery a lot, I don't think that adding the Chinese on top would change a lot the phone performance or battery life.

Back in the days Amstrad CPC was my favorite microcomputer
What about

fa26feaa-6ef0-417f-9a93-ae324a7d8499.jpg

Top Bottom