• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Burning Shores coming to PS5 on April 19

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
To achieve this grand vision technically and creatively, we’ve made the difficult decision to focus all our efforts on making an incredible experience exclusively for the PlayStation 5 console."

Is this legal? Selling the base game then not selling dlc for it? It feels like a scam for me. Cd project done the same thing(even after selling xbox one x cyberpunk edition). This is becoming the new normal.

I use Pc for gaming btw.

ProtoByte

Looks incredible.

I think we're officially past cross gen for PlayStation 1st party games. At least the single player ones.

digdug2

Source

Some months later ...

AylmVr1.jpg

So the game was limited in favor of the PS4 version after all?
There is no other reason not to release the DLC on the last-gen otherwise.
Right? If the PS4 is not limiting in any way and can go toe-to-toe with the PS5, why did they bother spending $$$$ in R&D costs and release a new console?

xrnzaaas

I think the Hollywood sign is cringe as fuck.
f73h2A9.jpg

Americans love this kind of stuff. ;)

The idea for the DLC sounds nice, but I don't know if I want to go back to Horizon for a smaller story. Forbidden West for me is only a decent game.

GymWolf

Is this legal? Selling the base game then not selling dlc for it? It feels like a scam for me. Cd project done the same thing(even after selling xbox one x cyberpunk edition). This is becoming the new normal.

I use Pc for gaming btw.
The scam was making the game for ps4 aswell to begin with, they are just correcting their mistake.

It is time to let go of people with a 2013 console.

(I know what you mean)

Really curious to see why this was made as a PS5 exclusive. It’s a DLC of a game that was available on the PS4.

My hunch would be some sort of technical limitations, for example that giant robot leviathan seem’s like a huge set piece battle at some point in the DLC, is it the data I/O bottleneck that’s stopping them from doing it on PS4? I would imagine such a giant robot would require a lot of geometry and texture data to be thrown around.

Rykan

I use Pc for gaming btw.
of course it's legal. Why wouldn't it be?

Really curious to see why this was made as a PS5 exclusive. It’s a DLC of a game that was available on the PS4.

My hunch would be some sort of technical limitations, for example that giant robot leviathan seem’s like a huge set piece battle at some point in the DLC, is it the data I/O bottleneck that’s stopping them from doing it on PS4? I would imagine such a giant robot would require a lot of geometry and texture data to be thrown around.

As mentioned earlier in the thread the % of launch window buyers that were actually playing on PS4 was very low. Probably saves dev time too.

mitchman

Gold Member

I use Pc for gaming btw.
Why wouldn't it be legal?

kyliethicc

This looks insane wtf. Is this cutscene or gameplay.
Its the image in the PS5 news feed for the trailer. Probably just a cinematic still.

Looks like a playing area on top of this thing?

For the love of god please tell me fighting this thing means you need to climb up around it (Shadow of the Colossus style) to kill it 😱

I want to see more giant enemies like this in games. There's no reason why they can't create a scenario where you have to use all kinds of movement traversal around the creature to kill it. Stepping up / down, hurdling, mantling, climbing, swinging, flying. Let me think and use all those methods to defeat a boss like this.
I assume fighting it will be built around flying around it on the Sunwing and maybe climbing/grappling hooking up it too. Sorta like the Tallnecks. Could def be like what you're saying and that would be pretty cool.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Guerilla pulling a CDPR. Sucks for PS4 owners but I'm all for it. Bring it on. Loved Forbidden West and this new trailer was hype all the way.

kyliethicc

Chances are its just as simple as "our cross gen game sold well, lets make a PS5 exclusive expansion now." They got their PS4 sales and can now point to Burning Shores as a big reason why Horizon FW is better on PS5. Tech wise I would hope they can just at a minimum make the sunwing fly a bit faster. Its overall just gonna be nice to see them make Horizon for PS5 and not need to worry about "X is tanking framerate on PS4 so cut it back."

Also seems like lava might be a new thing tech wise.

Last edited:

Gudji

Hopefully it will bring some good changes to the base game as well since its going to be PS5 exclusive only.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
of course it's legal. Why wouldn't it be?

Why wouldn't it be legal?
Shouldn't they say "you will not be able to play the dlc of this game" when selling the old generation version? They make this decision years after selling the game. If I had bought the game in the old generation, I would expect to play the dlc as any other game that has it. Especially if I had gotten the "cyberpunk custom xbox one x" version.

Humdinger

Why is the Hollywood sign still standing after all these years? Oh wait, never mind.

Great to hear it's PS5-exclusive. I liked Forbidden West and look forward to the DLC.

Rykan

Shouldn't they say "you will not be able to play the dlc of this game" when selling the old generation version? They make this decision years after selling the game. If I had bought the game in the old generation, I would expect to play the dlc as any other game that has it. Especially if I had gotten the "cyberpunk custom xbox one x" version.
From a legal perspective, Not really no. Legally speaking, purchasing a game doesn't give you any entitlement to future content.

Melfice7

"To achieve this grand vision technically and creatively, we’ve made the difficult decision to focus all our efforts on making an incredible experience exclusively for the PlayStation 5 console."

30 fps incoming

Vick

Probably because it's a berry-picking simulator with bad writing?
B..berry-picking simulator?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

And I love the general idea that gaming as a whole is composed of Dostoevskij standards.. news flash, 99.9% of gaming writing is pure diarrhea.
Forbidden West sure as fuck isn't below average in any way in this regard, and its lore managed to be interesting and fascinating like few others to me.

Top Bottom