• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Burning Shores: Will Guerrilla Games First PS5-Only Title Be the Best Current Gen Showcase To Date?

When Horizon Forbidden Shore Releases...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Says this about a critically acclaimed game where the story and combat is the best part. Hmmm.... Haven't played Forbidden West yet though so idk.
Considering how reviewers nowadays review games being critically acclaimed means nothing. I have never forced myself to finish a game like I did the 1st one. Once you get the story twist out of the way It's hard to continue playing it.

They just offered Forbidden West on playstation plus And I'm 2 hours in and it's not even worth playing for free. But that's just my opinion. The Killzone games for me suffered from the same thing. You get to a certain point in the game about midway through and you're just going through the motions. The game play loop isn't appealing enough to get me to finish.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
I expect it to look the same visually with maybe more going on on screen with big set pieces and things like that.

Maybe certain events that change the map permanently. All of it done in a way that they wouldn't be able to pull off on the PS4.

Unknown?

Considering how reviewers nowadays review games being critically acclaimed means nothing. I have never forced myself to finish a game like I did the 1st one. Once you get the story twist out of the way It's hard to continue playing it.

They just offered Forbidden West on playstation plus And I'm 2 hours in and it's not even worth playing for free. But that's just my opinion. The Killzone games for me suffered from the same thing. You get to a certain point in the game about midway through and you're just going through the motions. The game play loop isn't appealing enough to get me to finish.
So the truth comes out, it's just your opinion.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I expect it to look the same visually with maybe more going on on screen with big set pieces and things like that.

Maybe certain events that change the map permanently. All of it done in a way that they wouldn't be able to pull off on the PS4.

Soooooo not the same😉

ChiefDada

Gold Member
It’s using an established engine that already runs great, it would take more than a year to significantly retool the engine any further for ps5 optimizations.

I think it’ll look better but not meaningfully so

I mean, Spiderman MM was built on the same engine as Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart and they released within seven months of each other. Like Insomniac, GG had PS5 dev kits early on. Their engine was probably updated for PS5 relatively quickly. So it's not that the updated engine wasn't available during production of HFW, it's more likely the new features were there but couldn't be implemented due to PS4 consideration.

Schmendrick

they can`t just throw their old engine overboard for a dlc. at best we`ll get more render distance maybe a little bit higher object density etc.
Don`t expect UE5 level of differences.

Melfice7

Maybe better physics and destruction

ezgif-5-69d61ccc7e.gif

That's the most unrealistic thing about the game, theres no way that hollywood sign would have lasted 1000 years

CamHostage

I doubt there will be much difference at all to forbidden west. There’ll likely be some sort of mechanic they are doing which was a nightmare on ps4 hence dropping support.

And Burning Shores was likely planned initially for the platform slate of the main game; after launch, the stats were available as far as how many consumers bought the game on either platform, and PS4 sales were a smaller percentage (estimated at 1/3 of PS5 sales) of the total. (This was likely predicted long before the product launch even, but Forbidden West was scheduled initially to be out a year earlier and the sales could have been different, whereas now there's been enough math of PS5 game sales and over a year now since H:WF itself launched.) So they were able to pull the trigger and make things easier on themselves.

That's the most unrealistic thing about the game, theres no way that hollywood sign would have lasted 1000 years

It might be just for marketing? That's pretty unlikely to be how the Metal Devil is activated, plus of course, the Hollywoodland sign barely made it from the '20s to the '70s without falling over so another 950+ years would be tough...

(*Technically, the Hollywood sign has been replaced since the original with steel and reinforcement, but still, it's absurd that everything about society would be decimated and nearly unrecognizable in the future except for that one landmark.)

Fair enough. I'd have to read more of the doc's outcomes/solutions to know what these decisions really amount to, as a lot of this reads more like process efficiency compromises and directional decisions rather than outright saying, "Oh man, we could have made this so much awesomer if it wasn't for that pesky PS4...", but obviously PS5 is a better machine in every way and there's latitude to explore in future projects, if not this Burning Shores project.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
This series is garbage.

how-why.gif

It will look fantastic for sure but the series is boring to play and the story is forgettable. That's the thing with Guerrilla games, they make visually stunning games but they forget that people actually have to play them.
This doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Game plays a million times better than other open world games like Rockstar titles, The Witcher 3 or Assassin's Creed and the rest of Ubisoft output..
Controls are actually sublime, traversal in this sequel much improved and frankly hard to improve upon for what's supposed to be a semi-realistic setting, the biomes themselves are diverse and filled with incredibly designed and hard to deal with machines, each with entirely different attack patterns, weaknesses and strategies.. story is above average, every single quest in the game from the most insignificant got dedicated mo-cap, some downright magical moments like Vegas..

Fuck out of here man.

how-why.gif

This doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Game plays a million times better than other open world games like Rockstar titles, The Witcher 3 or Assassin's Creed and the rest of Ubisoft output..
Controls are actually sublime, traversal in this sequel much improved and frankly hard to improve upon for what's supposed to be a semi-realistic setting, the biomes themselves are diverse and filled with incredibly designed and hard to deal with machines, each with entirely different attack patterns, weaknesses and strategies.. story is above average, every single quest in the game from the most insignificant got dedicated mo-cap, some downright magical moments like Vegas..

Fuck out of here man.

I kinda agree. I’m only couple hours in as well, but I’m pleasantly surprised by the game so far. The character rendering and animation is one of the best of the business and that’s saying a lot for an open world game.

I did make some custom UI adjustments to make this playable for me, though.

- no waypoint indicators on screen
- no enemy healthbars or status effects
- aim assist off
- motion aiming on

This way I actually have to pay attention to the world and the enemy animations. Also not knowing when an enemy will fall is much more exciting imo.

im convinced that the majority of peoples problem with horizon on this board has to do with Aloy. Put someone like Kotallo in her place and the conversation is totally different.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
I did make some custom UI adjustments to make this playable for me, though.

- no waypoint indicators on screen
- no enemy healthbars or status effects
- aim assist off
- motion aiming on

This way I actually have to pay attention to the world and the enemy animations. Also not knowing when an enemy will fall is much more exciting imo.
What I did is to completely remove the reticle and turn off adaptive triggers. Ultra-Hard and no reticle is by far the best way to play imo. Becomes pure muscle memory and it's so fun and addicting I often purposely use the weakest standard arrow just to prolong fights..

Put someone like Kotallo in her place and the conversation is totally different.
What an awesome character. Loved him.

Last edited:
What I did is to completely removed the reticle and turn off adaptive triggers. Ultra-Hard and no reticle is by far the best way to play imo. Becomes pure muscle memory and it's so fun and addicting I often purposely use the weakest standard arrow just to prolong fights..

What an awesome character. Loved him.

I envy how good of shape Aloy must be in after having to rapid fire arrows in call of the mountain :messenger_loudly_crying:

RevolvingBitterEasternnewt-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Prepare yourself to be disappointed, you will be marveled only at the end of the gen as often.

Last edited:
HFW is already probably the best looking next gen game. This is just an expansion, so I’m not expecting some mind blowing difference. Though, I thought the Hivebusters expansion blew Gears 5 away but that might have been more about art than anything else.

Kazdi

Neo Member
From the trailer it looks like there will be horus fight, so perhaps that will be current gen showcase more than graphics.

hyperbertha

To those who say not to expect any major engine upgrades. Much can be accomplished on better hardware running the same engine, although I understand what constitutes as "significant improvement" will be subjective. Consider same TLOU2 engine on PS4 vs PS5 results:

nSsltUu.png
what am I supposed to see here? Two photos with entirely different lighting.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
what am I supposed to see here? Two photos with entirely different lighting.

Uh... yes. Both games were built on the TLOU2 engine. So same engine used for TLOU2 on PS4 but PS5 only allowed them to vastly upgrade and apply their new lighting tech, which allows for a generational difference in appearance (to my eyes at least).

Is this completely stand-alone? Otherwise how can it be significantly more advanced than the base game?

Because PS5 is significantly more advanced than the base PS4.

Lysandros

Also, GG developers discussed a while back how there was tech in the PS5 that they would have liked to use for HFW but couldn't because it would have excluded PS4.
As far as i know that is PS4 PRO's hardware ID buffer which is also present on PS5 (possibility a faster version of it due to running at higher frequency at least).

Xtib81

Well, sorry OP but watch the trailer again, there is quite visible pop in on the vegetation around the buildings when she flies at low altitude, similar to the base game I'd say.
The dlc will look very good but I don't expect it to lool vastly superior to the base game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No, frozen wilds was a huge improvement over the original though

Uh... yes. Both games were built on the TLOU2 engine. So same engine used for TLOU2 on PS4 but PS5 only allowed them to vastly upgrade and apply their new lighting tech, which allows for a generational difference in appearance (to my eyes at least).

Yeah, but I mean if it's just a new part of the same world it would be weird if the visual quality etc suddenly gets much better. But if it's a completely separate thing that's not weird.

Yeah, but I mean if it's just a new part of the same world it would be weird if the visual quality etc suddenly gets much better. But if it's a completely separate thing that's not weird.

It will probably be like Tsushima where you can only fast travel to that part of the map

mdkirby

im convinced that the majority of peoples problem with horizon on this board has to do with Aloy. Put someone like Kotallo in her place and the conversation is totally different.
Probably true…to some extent. The first game was a slow burn for me, and took a couple of goes to get stuck in, but I ended up loving the story by the end. I never quite put my finger on why, and thought it was the lacklustre side quests.

But playing the second game, I think most the issues come down to aloy herself for me. Her character and the writing for her character are some of the weakest parts of the game. I wish I could have played as Zo instead. 🤷‍♂️

KiteGr

I'm wondering why I've got a PS5 regardless. The Jump doesn't look big enough for me and we are seeing many anticonsumer practices to justify the cost.

At least now I can buy a complete edition of Forbidden West and finally play it!

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Yeah I understand you and tbh my focus isn't on the typically discussed fidelity items such as changes in geometry, textures, or even art design; I think all of those are more than good enough in HFW PS5; they are (early) current gen worthy. I am talking about utilizing tech that will make the game look and feel more alive and immersive to the point where when you play, you quickly realize it's not the same game as HFW even though they look the same on surface level. For example take my first point in OP about new LOD system. If GG allows us to travel faster on mounts in Burning Shores and LOD management becomes imperceptible (which it would need to be), we are talking about a DLC that looks, plays, and feels a gen apart. Again, playing this hypothetical DLC as I've described side by side with HFW PS5, most would immediately recognize the difference even if they shared the same geometry, lighting, and assets (although I do hope lighting tech will have advancements).

hyperbertha

that's not what i meant. How can I compare the graphical leaps when both photos are entirely different? Graphically, I don't think TLOU remake is any better than TLOU2.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I am sure it will look, graphically, very impressive.

The better question is, will it give us gameplay that is actually fun? Will it make the world feel less like a generic Ubisoft clone? Will the characters actually have likeable, interesting personalities?

No. No. And No. They won't.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
that's not what i meant. How can I compare the graphical leaps when both photos are entirely different? Graphically, I don't think TLOU remake is any better than TLOU2.

Lol, what? They are "entirely different" because PS5 is rendering at a higher fidelity with better lighting tech. Both pictures are from the same scene, same exact moment. The one on the left is TLOU Part I rendered on PS5, the one on the right is TLOU Part 2 rendered on PS4 or PS5 (doesn't matter which one, they'll both look the same). You dismantled your own argument.

I am sure it will look, graphically, very impressive.

The better question is, will it give us gameplay that is actually fun? Will it make the world feel less like a generic Ubisoft clone? Will the characters actually have likeable, interesting personalities?

No. No. And No. They won't.

Ok but that's not what this thread is about. Maybe you should make your own to discuss?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Lol, what? They are "entirely different" because PS5 is rendering at a higher fidelity with better lighting tech. Both pictures are from the same scene, same exact moment. The one on the left is TLOU Part I rendered on PS5, the one on the right is TLOU Part 2 rendered on PS4 or PS5 (doesn't matter which one, they'll both look the same). You dismantled your own argument.

Ok but that's not what this thread is about. Maybe you should make your own to discuss?

Nah, I can discuss it here just fine. The most important thing about any game, after all, is the gameplay. Not the graphics.

sachos

I don't know OP, i wouldnt expect that much improvement in terms of graphics with only 1 year of work for a game already based on PS4 but maybe we can get some gameplay sections impossible on PS4 like a boss fight at super high speed travelling around the map or something like that. Better physics too maybe.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

You really think tlou 2 wasn't capable of direct lighting in a cutscene? A scene being lit differently is new lighting tech?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
You really think tlou 2 wasn't capable of direct lighting in a cutscene? A scene being lit differently is new lighting tech?

The TLOU2 engine was capable of the advanced lighting and shading seen in Part I, the PS4 wasn't capable of rendering. Literally the entire point of this conversation.

rolandss

It’s dlc, which I’m guesting means it won’t look much better if at all than the PS5 version of forbidden west. That’s a good looking game but not the generational leap we were hoping for.

Varteras

Gold Member
They may do things in the map for Burning Shores like improved destruction effects and new machines that appear nowhere else that are even more detailed than Forbidden West. I suppose it IS possible that those who buy Burning Shores get improved visuals in the base game on PS5, as they may have had time to improve the PS5 version even further. But that may cause backlash.

They may do things in the map for Burning Shores like improved destruction effects and new machines that appear nowhere else that are even more detailed than Forbidden West. I suppose it IS possible that those who buy Burning Shores get improved visuals in the base game on PS5, as they may have had time to improve the PS5 version even further. But that may cause backlash.

They have have faster flight and air combat as well

HFW-TBS_Key_Art_Website_Crops_HERO.jpg

We’ve already seen a lot of what their engine is capable of with current gen tech on Forbidden West PS5 and it’s absolutely stunning looking. I expect some improvements on top of that but I wouldn’t expect a generational leap as that’s just unfair.

Spider-Man 2 will be the same but again Miles is already a stunning looking game which offers a ray tracing mode at 1440p/60fps. There’s only so much more possible on the same hardware especially if they’re targeting 60fps.

This is the reality of having mid gen consoles which had 2-4x the GPU power (PS4 Pro / XBO X) then Remasters / Remakes of games on next gen consoles which had 3-4x those consoles GPU power and also PC’s with $1500 30teraflop GPU’s then cross gen games and then after all that people expect a generational leap in visuals over cross gen games which leverage a lot of the power already by running games at twice the resolution with improved foliage and textures and then running the games at twice the framerate.

This is why it has become an almost impossible task to impress people with visuals nowadays. Compare the above to going from Horizon on PS4 at 1080p/30fps to Forbidden West on PS5 at 1440p/30fps or 4k/30fps. That leap is a generational leap if we hadn’t already seen all the smaller improvements in between.
Its actually the old engines holding graphics back. Corporate greed, cross gen and old engines…

Last edited:
Top Bottom