• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West - BIG technical graphics issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Thought I would make this into its own thread.

Hey all, really need some help here. I started playing horizon forbidden west, but I'm having a hard time enjoying it right now due to this one issue.

For some reason, when I move the camera around, while in motion the grass looks green as it should. But when I stop the camera from moving and leave it still, everything gets a lot lighter, like a white undertone. If I shake the camera fast, it's seizure inducing almost. Like..... I don't want to go through that on a game.

I tried messing with in game settings, ps5 settings, and my TV settings and nada. However, the one thing I found is that for some odd reason, switching to performance mode either does not do it, or it's much lesser that my eyes can't catch it.

On video 1 below you see me switching to performance mode, and in person I didn't see it happening, even if the phone had catch something

Anyhow, why is this happening? Any possible fix?

Why would changing graphics mode have something to do with this potentially? I was kinda hoping to play this in resolution mode.

But overall, it's really disheartening, I want to be able to enjoy this game. I went back to things like miles morales and cold war, and I don't see anything quite like this. Never seen anything like it until this game

Ps: my TV is the TCL 55R646, I've played all sorts of games here including 120hz games with no issue

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think the game has launched a little hot with the reports of pop in etc and I would expect there to be another patch shortly as the day one patch was released days ago and did wonders according to reports.

Maybe shelf it for a bit if it's really bothering you?

Kuranghi

Does it still do it if you disable HDR? If no then try disabling deep colour and re-enable it and then turn HDR back on as well.

Guy in other thread mentioned "washed out colour" was an issue on some sets and the above supposedly fixed it.

ethomaz

Banned
Seems like a bug.
But it doesn’t happen in all sets… try do disable and reenable HDR in both TV and PS5.

Last edited:
Sounds like i'll just wait 2 weeks, chill and play Tales of Arise in the meantime. Seems like the game was released with some minor bugs that are unusual for Sony 1st party games.

Tbh i already do this with 99% of all game releases anyway

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
does this happen to all users or just particular ones?

I may be receiving my deluxe copy tommorow...

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Does it still do it if you disable HDR? If no then try disabling deep colour and re-enable it and then turn HDR back on as well.

Guy in other thread mentioned "washed out colour" was an issue on some sets and the above supposedly fixed it.
When I disable hdr in game it still does it, I might try it on the PS5 settings. Going to performance mode right now seems to be the workaround

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Some possible things, that I've found:

Maybe over sharpening at 4k/30

Maybe a specific issue with 120hz sets

Not a hdr thing

Not a TV thing

Short term fix: use performance mode

FrankWza

To give them some time for these first few firmware updates to come out.

I'll never forget how Insomniac released that 40fps patch for Ratchet the day i got the platinum, lmao. I was so mad...
I feel like a similar patch is going to be released for this as well.

Fbh

Stupid question but do you have motion blur enabled (don't know if it's something the game lets you toggle). I've had similar issues in other games when motion blur is enabled in 60fps mode.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Stupid question but do you have motion blur enabled (don't know if it's something the game lets you toggle). I've had similar issues in other games when motion blur is enabled in 60fps mode.
I tested it with it off, still there

Three

Not a TV thing

Short term fix: use performance mode
It is very likely a TV thing. It's because of high contrast high frequency detail. Performance mode only helps because it lowers the high frequency detail. Just upload a vid straight from your PS5 to youtube instead of using your phone to record off your screen then uploading. You can check this easily.

Trunim

Cool, then I'll continue my playthrough of Cyberpunk instead and wait for this to get patched. / VA panel owner.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
I will try some of the suggestions here, like find a way to turn off and on deep color or hdr. We will see. Just not a thing that has happened to me ever with this TV on any other game

Imtjnotu

Sounds like i'll just wait 2 weeks, chill and play Tales of Arise in the meantime. Seems like the game was released with some minor bugs that are unusual for Sony 1st party games.

Tbh i already do this with 99% of all game releases anyway
Still going to wait those two weeks?

Three

Amazing how defenders blame the TV.

GG just fixed it as per the tweet.

I wasn't gonna post, but yeah it's crazy how fast people become so defensive over something that in fact was a bug.

Save it for later, Captain Toad Captain Toad might want some receipts in a month or 2.

Oh come off it you two. This is somebody who uploaded a video to try and show the issue. Watch it and you won't actually see the issue:

On particular TVs you will. Doesn't mean GG can't alleviate the issue for those having problems by making changes to the game. In any case I hope the patch makes it better for the OP.

Corndog

Banned
Thought I would make this into its own thread.

Hey all, really need some help here. I started playing horizon forbidden west, but I'm having a hard time enjoying it right now due to this one issue.

For some reason, when I move the camera around, while in motion the grass looks green as it should. But when I stop the camera from moving and leave it still, everything gets a lot lighter, like a white undertone. If I shake the camera fast, it's seizure inducing almost. Like..... I don't want to go through that on a game.

I tried messing with in game settings, ps5 settings, and my TV settings and nada. However, the one thing I found is that for some odd reason, switching to performance mode either does not do it, or it's much lesser that my eyes can't catch it.

On video 1 below you see me switching to performance mode, and in person I didn't see it happening, even if the phone had catch something

Anyhow, why is this happening? Any possible fix?

Why would changing graphics mode have something to do with this potentially? I was kinda hoping to play this in resolution mode.

But overall, it's really disheartening, I want to be able to enjoy this game. I went back to things like miles morales and cold war, and I don't see anything quite like this. Never seen anything like it until this game

Ps: my TV is the TCL 55R646, I've played all sorts of games here including 120hz games with no issue

Weird.

Markio128

I’ll be trying the game for the first time in a couple of hours (still at work😩). Hopefully the issue has now been resolved - which was really quick, but must have sucked a bit for those affected.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
I’ll be trying the game for the first time in a couple of hours (still at work😩). Hopefully the issue has now been resolved - which was really quick, but must have sucked a bit for those affected.
im glad i didnt get deep into it, i started it, and spent 5 minutes in the tutorial, noticed it, and made those videos. I am still in the tutorial, and probably spent only 5-10 in game minutes.

Glad I did that and did not push through

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Good that they fixed it fast. I thought it was my TV sharpness settings.

Game still looks fucking nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom