• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West - Digital Foundry Tech Review - A PS5 Graphics Masterclass

TrebleShot

Not sure if my eyes have become more accustomed as to what to expect but flipping between 30 and 60 doesn’t seem that huge a difference anymore in terms of smoothness , I mean yea the 60 is noticeable but the 30 is very smooth and with increased fidelity it’s amazing.

Camera sensitivity lowest.
Motion blur default.

HDR is broken in the game by the way, you need to apply extreme values to get correct nits and gamma but it will also come down to preference.

LG C9 65” in game settings HGIG

Brightness -2
Shadow detail 0
Highlights -8

Provides a very natural lighting effect that makes the vibrant areas pop however I understand it’s meant to have quite a saturated look. Very frustrating as it should use the PS5 native HDR settings but it doesn’t.

Forbidden West is a big upgrade for me since the SoP last year! I can't seem to stop playing it
nH0ulZC.jpg
pyb1J34.jpg
OUZFTwg.jpg
sJxlL2f.jpg

TheShocker

Cutscenes look brilliant in resolution mode.

Outside of that, there is some bizarre sharpening filter. I have a hard time with 30fps content on my LG CX, so I tend to play most games in performance modes. This game is incredibly blurry at times at 60fps. Other 1440p games or 1800p checker board games tend to be sharper. Hopefully Guerrilla fixes this.

Man, i am really digging this game. This is a surprise to me because i stopped playing the first one about half way through (later finished on PS5) and have become to dislike the open world gameplay/quest structure.

The side content feels perfect in this game, it all has value and meaning and actually enhances the overall main content. Its hard to explain really but you can play this as a liner story but if the world captures you, as it did me, all the side content makes it a fuller experience.

As far as graphics, im really not sure why some people are up in arms. Both settings look great to me (65 inch x900h about 7 feet from screen). Im 24 hrs in at this point and other that the minor glitches here and there (every game has these) the visuals are insane. Im super impressed by all the tiny details. FFS thorw a rock into the water... chefs kiss.

Gameplay is tight, my only real grip is that sometimes when platforming the camera can be a hurdle but as far as an overall package its pretty good.

Right now i would say the game is in the 87 - 92 range. The 87 end of the spectrum if the minor things bother you the 92 side if you can brush those aside and just enjoy the experience. Oh one more thing, its a slow burn. I didnt become completely engulfed in the experience until after the embassy, then the story really picks up!

Gamerguy84

It took a while for the PC version of the original to get sorted out, so hopefully after a month or two the game will be in better shape for those with issues.
I'm excited to see it tbh. I say that because it's one of the most impressive games I've ever seen in its current state at 60, but especially 30. I have seen the shimmering though but the game is far from being in a bad state. B

Schrade

HDTVTest

That shifting brightness is distracting af.

"But like tantric sex, things take a turn for the worse once you start moving too vigorously..."

Hahahah!

I am not playing the game but I can see what he's trying to point out. It's a little distracting but perhaps there will be a fix for it in the future? Who knows. The game looks balls out gorgeous still.

Yeah I raised that concern here a week back, that GG didn't promote the 60fps mode at all prior to launch. Now we know why :)
When are gamers going to wise up to this tactic by devs? I knew something would be wrong with Dying Light 2 because they weren't showing the next gen consoles before launch. Horizon 2 not getting perf mode footage, cyberpunk not showing ps4 footage, and elden ring not showing PC footage (either the PC version will be bad or the PC version is going to make the next gen consoles look bad, so they've been hiding it).

Despite horizon 2 hiding the 60 fps mode, half of Gaf just assumed the preview footage was 60, lol! The other half knew it was 30 but was saying "don't worry it's guerilla l, I'm sure the 60 will be great"

Gamers. Gamers never learn

vpance

"But like tantric sex, things take a turn for the worse once you start moving too vigorously..."

Hahahah!

I am not playing the game but I can see what he's trying to point out. It's a little distracting but perhaps there will be a fix for it in the future? Who knows. The game looks balls out gorgeous still.

I think they'll fix it. Someone in the comments noted something similar happening in FC6 because of the sharpening filter.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Man, i am really digging this game. This is a surprise to me because i stopped playing the first one about half way through (later finished on PS5) and have become to dislike the open world gameplay/quest structure.

The side content feels perfect in this game, it all has value and meaning and actually enhances the overall main content. Its hard to explain really but you can play this as a liner story but if the world captures you, as it did me, all the side content makes it a fuller experience.

As far as graphics, im really not sure why some people are up in arms. Both settings look great to me (65 inch x900h about 7 feet from screen). Im 24 hrs in at this point and other that the minor glitches here and there (every game has these) the visuals are insane. Im super impressed by all the tiny details. FFS thorw a rock into the water... chefs kiss.

Gameplay is tight, my only real grip is that sometimes when platforming the camera can be a hurdle but as far as an overall package its pretty good.

Right now i would say the game is in the 87 - 92 range. The 87 end of the spectrum if the minor things bother you the 92 side if you can brush those aside and just enjoy the experience. Oh one more thing, its a slow burn. I didnt become completely engulfed in the experience until after the embassy, then the story really picks up!
The embassy is also where it became amazing for me as well. And all things surrounding GAIA, the subordinates and Hephaestus is so interesting. I love it

decisions

HDTVTest

That shifting brightness is distracting af.

Wow, they actually discussed the issue I was showing in a gif comparing it to FFVII. Glad to see them bringing some attention to this. I was able to reduce the severity by turning down the sharpness on my TV from 25 to 0 and lowering the HDR brightness in-game by two clicks.

Thank you HDTVTest for bringing more attention to this.

Last edited:

Urban

Im having really fun but the AA on performance mode is pretty bad. So many rough edges . Picture is not very clear but the game still looks incredible

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Uhh, the visuals in this game are fucked up on PS5, particularly in performance mode. Plain and simple. It looks oddly blurry and oversaturated. I keep thinking something is wrong my eyes or my TV, but all my other games look fine. Very surprised to see this (just go around to playing the game today for the first time). Also, there’s too much distracting fog. Extremely strange - coming into this thread and seeing almost everyone mention the same issues is relieving - is Guerilla working on this?

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Oh fuck off Vincent. I can't see shit in that video. Go get your eyes checked you green rat.
I'm not clicking on his garbage video but the HDR brightness on that photo is turned all the way up and it looks awful. How can you play like that? I left mine at default values and it's incredible.

I'm also switching resolution to performance and I don't see a difference besides the 60 fps. Seems like people have an agenda for this game since it came out. Still looks better than 99% of the games on the market.

Inviusx

I'm not clicking on his garbage video but the HDR brightness on that photo is turned all the way up and it looks awful. How can you play like that? I left mine at default values and it's incredible.

I'm also switching resolution to performance and I don't see a difference besides the 60 fps. Seems like people have an agenda for this game since it came out. Still looks better than 99% of the games on the market.

He's a professional TV calibrator and he's playing HFW on a reference quality monitor. He's more legit than anyone in this thread.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.

Ok console warrior I understand you’re upset that people people are pointing out flaws in the game

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Uhh, the visuals in this game are fucked up on PS5, particularly in performance mode. Plain and simple. It looks oddly blurry and oversaturated. I keep thinking something is wrong my eyes or my TV, but all my other games look fine. Very surprised to see this (just go around to playing the game today for the first time). Also, there’s too much distracting fog. Extremely strange - coming into this thread and seeing almost everyone mention the same issues is relieving - is Guerilla working on this?
Yes, they said they are looking into the issues.

I dont think they can resolve the performance mode issues. They are using 1800 checkerboard which is way below native 1440p in pixel count. The game cannot run at a locked 60 fps at 1440p. its somewhere between 1080p and 1440p which is why you are seeing so much shimmering. Doubt they can get it to run at 1440p in a patch or two.

Id recommend you switch to 30 fps and change both Camera Sensitivity settings to minimum. Then completely turn off Motion blur. It is unplayable without these settings due to the brightness bug Vincent mentioned in his video, but if you turn down camera sensitivity to minimum, it becomes far more manageable. Doesnt seem to affect the combat either.

After four days of suffering through the 30 fps mode and then the awful blurry mess that is the 60 fps mode, I finally had a great time playing the game tonight at 30 fps with those settings disabled. It looks stunning in some areas at native 4k.

Top Bottom