• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West - Digital Foundry Tech Review - A PS5 Graphics Masterclass

It's not just DF. NX Gamer phoned it in too. These critics are too busy sucking up to their favorite publishers to do their job. It's absolutely shocking that a random youtuber has done almost 8 videos on the game comparing the results after everyone of its 8 or so patches since launch while DF and NX Gamer havent done a single video talking about this. DF mentioned this in passing in one of their podcasts. It's rotten. We shit on games journalists for letting performance issues pass but they have moved away from discussing technical aspects of games in the last 5-10 years while DF has taken over as THE source of discussing technical issues. And now, they have dropped the ball.

I've seen this from them time and time again. One day they will heavily criticize Halo for its bad performance and then turn around and jizz all over Forza's so called next gen upgrades which literally amounted to low vs extreme settings on PC. They love to trash third party games with bad performance but first party games where they are friendly with developers get a pass. GOW's PC port is atrocious. 580, a 6 tflops Polaris card, struggles to run a game designed to run on a 1.8 tlfops GCN1.1 GPU at 60 fps. Every other game runs easily at 1080p 60 fps on that card especially when paired up with PC CPUs way more powerful than the jaguar cores and yet, DF ignored all of that and claimed its an excellent port!

We've seen this in other industries. Reporters get too chummy with politicians, athletes and game designers and end up pulling their punches. That;s exactly whats happening here. They have been friendly with GG for a long time and they cant bring themselves to be overly critical on their disastrous 60 fps version. Even the 30 fps version had a lot of issues and they have continued to reduce the sharpness in that game little by little by every patch and it looks nothing like the version they reviewed in terms of sharpness. It's just a sad sorry state of affairs.
I agree.

SSfox

I've seen this from them time and time again. One day they will heavily criticize Halo for its bad performance and then turn around and jizz all over Forza's so called next gen upgrades which literally amounted to low vs extreme settings on PC. They love to trash third party games with bad performance but first party games where they are friendly with developers get a pass. GOW's PC port is atrocious. 580, a 6 tflops Polaris card, struggles to run a game designed to run on a 1.8 tlfops GCN1.1 GPU at 60 fps. Every other game runs easily at 1080p 60 fps on that card especially when paired up with PC CPUs way more powerful than the jaguar cores and yet, DF ignored all of that and claimed its an excellent port!

I don't disagree overall, but don't underestimate devs Talents, Santa Monica are some of the most talented dev right there, and when it comes to tech and graphics they're the best imo only top by Rockstar and Naughty Dog, remember when DMC3 was released on PS2 it looked awesome, but GOW was just on another level that surpassed DMC3, and GOW2 was even beyond, it doesn't matter what hardware you're in, but devs talent is always the most important.

I don't like those PC ports at all, but at least i'm glad that it's not Santa Monica that are doing it, and i hope it will stay that way and they will only and exclusively keep their focus on Playsation consoles.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don't disagree overall, but don't underestimate devs Talents, Santa Monica are of the most talented dev right there, remember when DMC3 was released on PS2 it looked awesome, but GOW was just on another level that surpassed DMC3, and GOW2 was even beyond, it doesn't matter what hardware you're in, but devs talent is always the most important.

I don't like those PC ports at all, but at least i'm glad that it's not Santa Monica that are doing it, and i hope it will stay that way and they will only and exclusively keep their focus on Playsation consoles.
I mean I dont even want to trash the 4 man team that ported GOW to PC. It is what it is. They even admitted that they didnt want to make too many changes to the single threaded engine, and that is whats limiting GPU performance on PC. They were honest and up front about lacking resources to do a good PC port.

My issue is with DF fawning all over that port. Their video title was something like how excellent it is. it's not. A 580 or 1060 should not have issues running that game at 1080p 60 fps at console presets (medium quality).

GG has all the talent in the world. They have all the resources. Almost 400 employees. Not 4. It's been over 2 months since launch and GG still hasnt fixed the issues with performance mode. They have however downgraded both the 60 fps and 30 fps versions. Yes, its not as broken as Cyberpunk, but had DF covered it like they covered cybperunk, GG wouldve felt the heat far more and done a better job than what they have done so far. Right now, the only guy covering this is is a small youtuber who gets maybe 5k views and reddit comments. Neither of which GG clearly gives a shit about seeing as how we still dont have a 40 fps patch or any improvement to the 60 fps version. They are coasting and pretending nothing is wrong because they know DF and NX gamer are too in love with them to call them out on this.

Last edited:
I don't disagree overall, but don't underestimate devs Talents, Santa Monica are some of the most talented dev right there, and when it comes to tech and graphics they're the best imo only top by Rockstar and Naughty Dog, remember when DMC3 was released on PS2 it looked awesome, but GOW was just on another level that surpassed DMC3, and GOW2 was even beyond, it doesn't matter what hardware you're in, but devs talent is always the most important.

GG is ahead of SM IMO…the decima engine and Horizon Forbidden West is one of the best looking games EVER made…GOW wasn’t that impressive to me in 2018 and isn’t today…

Top Bottom