• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West: Evolving Aloy (new character model and visual updates)

EDMIX

You are right. She looks well.
So the weird face is just some issue with the artists team.

I see nothing weird about the face. She wasn't suppose to be a clone of the reference. I also see nothing weird about the character aging over time. Why would they look the same forever? If GG wants to have her age over the course of the games, its their game to choose to do so.

EDMIX

I don’t understand the point you’re trying to make. Lance Reddick voice and likeness was used for the character with extreme body modification. Alloy is a fictional person with a real person used as a base to create her likeness but voiced by Ashly Burch. Vanasha looks like the voice actor while Olin looks nothing like the voice actor. Each character has a certain look they are going for and if the voice actor matches then they go with their look and make some adjustments to fit.

Nah, doesn't fit their narrative, they don't want to talk about that. From what I saw from HZD, the characters used as reference are not to be clones as much as they are used as a base to create, as to why people think its some weird clone thing like the goal is to just copy a face and voice is beyond me. They don't understand the purpose of reference.

Some games can go for a movie thing like Until Dawn or Beyond Two Souls or Heavy Rain where they use the exact model as the reference as that is what the studio might be going for, like its a movie or film, but not all games are created equal. A studio might choose to loosely use reference to create a completely fictional character or a studio might use an exact reference if they really want that likeness like its a film like we saw with LA Noire or something, but its not this exact, 100%, MUST BE A CLONE BS that people keep trying to now argue must be in the game.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I see nothing weird about the face. She wasn't suppose to be a clone of the reference. I also see nothing weird about the character aging over time. Why would they look the same forever? If GG wants to have her age over the course of the games, its their game to choose to do so.
It has been six months of in game time (looking at the article quoted in the OP) though… not years…

Last edited:
1BgY2aJ.png

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You are right. She looks well.
So the weird face is just some issue with the artists team.

The devs outright stated that they made her uglier than the model because "progressive" I guess?

Personally I don't give two shits about Aloy. She was the worst part of Horizon and a beyond forgettable character. What I want more of is beautiful locales to explore and big robo dinos to fight.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Sorta explained this in my post above. It isn't easy to transition from real person to 3d model. Scanning a real person usually ends up with an ugly character (uncanny valley) and an artist has to come in and really mess with the model to make it look right. Its honestly kind of counter intuitive but sometimes you have to idealize a real person's scan to make it actually look like the real person. Or a better way to put it is that sometimes you have to stylize a real person's face to make the human mind accept the 3d model (aka. get it out of the uncanny valley). Doing this is often times frowned upon in companies who follow a certain political mindset as you are technically trying to make the actress or actor more attractive.

Its an odd phenomenon. Also, some people scan better than others, and some companies intentionally make characters more ugly than their "actors or actresses".

I take it you're an animator, or worked with them in some technical role? Shouldn't they have tech by now that can fill in the discrepancies? I mean I can literally put my face on Leonardo DiCaprio's character from Django if I want or transform myself into a women with a free app on my phone. Surely there must be sure fire, solid tech out there now to make a scanned woman look like a woman for something as major as a $100m budget game?

DrAspirino

Banned
“We actually developed and tested the game simultaneously on both PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5, because it’s very important to us as a studio to ensure PlayStation 4 players get an equally immersive experience.’

Source: Playstation Blog
ARE YOU F*CKING KIDDING ME?????

E25wzKGVEAYT8CF.jpg

THIS GUY KNEW. KNEW THE WHOLE TIME. FROM DAY 0.

And this same guy had the gall - THE GALL - to LIE in front of everyone and vilify the competition for doing something HE HIMSELF was doing?? The hypocrisy....

This guy seriously has no shame at all. AT ALL.

Now, regarding the game, of course I'm hyped about it, since it'll look awesome and I'm sure it will be really fun to play as well. I'll play it on PC as soon as it's available.

Last edited:

EDMIX

E25wzKGVEAYT8CF.jpg

And this same guy had the gall - THE GALL - to LIE in front of everyone and vilify the competition for doing something HE HIMSELF was doing?? The hypocrisy....

Now, regarding the game, of course I'm hyped about it, since it'll look awesome and I'm sure it will be really fun to play as well. I'll play it on PC as soon as it's available.

.....but Demon Souls, Ratchet, Returnal etc are all exclusive though.

Corndog

Banned
Why do you say she wasn’t supposed to be a clone? Why is sylens a clone and not her?

EDMIX

Why do you say she wasn’t supposed to be a clone? Why is sylens a clone and not her?

Because not all reference is done to be carbon copy.

Because he likely fit exactly what the artist already created for that character. As an artist myself, its not a fucking 100% absolute, ironclad thing. Sometimes something is referenced exactly as is if it IS INDEED what I'm seeking, sometimes I might like expression of one person, the figure of another, the hair of another and mash that into something. I don't really get why people don't actually understand this and think that, they did it once, thus the WHOLE GAME MUST BE CLONES lol

Nah, thats not how any of this works.

That is on a case by case basis and on discretion of the artist.

Corndog

Banned
Because not all reference is done to be carbon copy.

Because he likely fit exactly what the artist already created for that character. As an artist myself, its not a fucking 100% absolute, ironclad thing. Sometimes something is referenced exactly as is if it IS INDEED what I'm seeking, sometimes I might like expression of one person, the figure of another, the hair of another and mash that into something. I don't really get why people don't actually understand this and think that, they did it once, thus the WHOLE GAME MUST BE CLONES lol

Nah, thats not how any of this works.

That is on a case by case basis and on discretion of the artist.
What I am asking is how do YOU know? You’re stating it like fact not opinion.

EDMIX

What I am asking is how do YOU know? You’re stating it like fact not opinion.

Because it is a FACT that not ALL references are done to be carbon copies.....

So understand, what I'm telling you is not an opinion, it is literally a fact that all reference is not used for 1 reason. Many reasons exist. Thus it can't be simply ME saying so as a personal thing or something, factually reference is not used for a single fucking purpose.

Many exist, because of this, its not unsual to have an artist use reference for something as is to make it a exact copy, its also not unsual for that very same artist to us another reference and alter it, as in they like the perons hips, eyes, hated the noes, wanted them to be taller etc.

They pick and chose what they want, its not an exact thing bud. As to why even in HZD, some are modeled very close to the reference, some are loosely modeled from the reference as even objects can be done this one. Some times a trash bin can be modeled as is, some times they'll alter it like adding rust, a different color, texture.

So sir.....its a fact.

NOT ALL REFERENCE IS USED FOR 1 PURPOSE. It is for many purposes as its not a 1 size fits all type thing.

Fake Fake lol I'm happy someone got that reference

Last edited:

Woggleman

With a PS5 still hard to get there is no way they didn't want a high profile title as this to not have the largest install base possible.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

E25wzKGVEAYT8CF.jpg

Ok? Get over it, mate. This is a common thing for any console. For the first few years of its life, there will be a lot of ports and dual releases until the new platform gains a sizeable population which neither the PS5 or Xbox Series X/S have yet. Comes with the territory of *every* new console launch.

More common this generation given the lack of easily noticeable graphical fidelity/power between platforms.

Corndog

Banned
Because it is a FACT that not ALL references are done to be carbon copies.....

So understand, what I'm telling you is not an opinion, it is literally a fact that all reference is not used for 1 reason. Many reasons exist. Thus it can't be simply ME saying so as a personal thing or something, factually reference is not used for a single fucking purpose.

Many exist, because of this, its not unsual to have an artist use reference for something as is to make it a exact copy, its also not unsual for that very same artist to us another reference and alter it, as in they like the perons hips, eyes, hated the noes, wanted them to be taller etc.

They pick and chose what they want, its not an exact thing bud. As to why even in HZD, some are modeled very close to the reference, some are loosely modeled from the reference as even objects can be done this one. Some times a trash bin can be modeled as is, some times they'll alter it like adding rust, a different color, texture.

So sir.....its a fact.

NOT ALL REFERENCE IS USED FOR 1 PURPOSE. It is for many purposes as its not a 1 size fits all type thing.

Fake Fake lol I'm happy someone got that reference
That they altered the original is a fact. Why they did is your opinion. Understand?

EDMIX

That they altered the original is a fact. Why they did is your opinion. Understand?

They are allowed to "alter" what ever they want. Its their game. It is you that is assuming that it MUST ONLY be used 100% as the original reference when that isn't your choice to make ,that is not some ironclad rule and its not some law or anything odd like that. So sir, they "altered" grass, trees, animals and many reference used, because NOT ALL FUCKING REFERNCE IS TO BE USED AS IS! It can be, but that is not some hard rule bud.

You need to get over that man.

Ignored.

have a good one =)

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
Now I get it, they made her fatter for cosplayers so they could more easily identify with her. Duh! It all makes sense now.

1280x720.jpg

Hey fatties in the west: put the twinkies down so we can get fit and friendly made-up characters in video games again. We don't all want to have to become weeabos. Thanks! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

If our food sucked like your food does, we wouldn't be fatties! :)

Nickolaidas

Banned
She's the biggest Mary Sue I've ever seen. Who cares about her bodyweight lol, she could look like Thor in GoW for all I care. There's absolutely nothing interesting about her character, which makes Horizon more dependent on fancy graphics and gameplay.
Alloy is not a Mary Sue. She has to work for validation, train to become better at what she is, and is shunned and ignored by the majority of society. It's only near the end that everyone and their mother want to suck her dick and she's been through hell by that point so it doesn't feel forced.

The only thing that is handed to her is her focus.

But there *are* strong feminism vibes in the story, though. The majority of important heroes are women, the majority of male characters are either trouble or incompetent, the apocalypse was brought by a man, the salvation was seeded by a woman and her plan worked because of her 'daughter', and her daughter herself doesn't get created through male sperm, but through a duplication of her 'mother's' genetic code.

Aside from her male mentor, the other men Alloy meets are either cucks (the king) or bad guys (Hades' thralls). Heck, even the machines are guilty of feminism. Hades, the 'evil' annihilating machine, is male voiced, while the 'good' creation machines, Gaia and the DLC AI, are female voiced.

EDMIX

Alloy is not a Mary Sue. She has to work for validation, train to become better at what she is, and is shunned and ignored by the majority of society. It's only near the end that everyone and their mother want to suck her dick and she's been through hell by that point so it doesn't feel forced.

The only thing that is handed to her is her focus.

But there *are* strong feminism vibes in the story, though. The majority of important heroes are women, the majority of male characters are either trouble or incompetent, the apocalypse was brought by a man, the salvation was seeded by a woman and her plan worked because of her 'daughter', and her daughter herself doesn't get created through male sperm, but through a duplication of her 'mother's' genetic code.

Aside from her male mentor, the other men Alloy meets are either cucks (the king) or bad guys (Hades' thralls). Heck, even the machines are guilty of feminism. Hades, the 'evil' annihilating machine, is male voiced, while the 'good' creation machines, Gaia and the DLC AI, are female voiced.

How the fuck you get all this from a game man? lol

I'm not sure how you got feminism from a game about fighting some fucking robots lol Don't watch the Aliens series, if they made that into a series today or a game today, you'd just say the same shit about that. A massive theme in that series is motherhood.

Nickolaidas

Banned
How the fuck you get all this from a game man? lol

I'm not sure how you got feminism from a game about fighting some fucking robots lol Don't watch the Aliens series, if they made that into a series today or a game today, you'd just say the same shit about that. A massive theme in that series is motherhood.
The big bad in the aliens film is female.

There are tons of competent men marines.

Ripley is an emotional wreck.

Please don't compare a masterpiece to Sony's attempts of being woke.

EDMIX

The big bad in the aliens film is female.

There are tons of competent men marines.

Ripley is an emotional wreck.

Please don't compare a masterpiece to Sony's attempts of being woke.

yet anyone can form some argument to scream that Aliens is "woke" that it took a female to save everyone.

" the salvation was seeded by a woman" ie Ripley
"the majority of male characters are either trouble or incompetent" most of the um "male" crew dies in Alien 1, same with Aliens soooooo one could just argue the same fucking shit man, I'm starting to believe if Alien was NEVER a thing and was released as a Sony game as is, you'd just fucking cry about the same fucking shit.

"OH WOW a WOMAN saved the whole crew" WOKE
"OH SHOCK, all the MEN incompetent and or cucks and DIE"....WOKE
" herself doesn't get created through male sperm, but through a duplication " oh wow, so Aliens Resurrection? aka WOKE

Soooooo Ripley saves they day in many films, not woke, Aloy saves the day...must be woke.
Men die in Aliens, not woke, men die in Horizon...a agenda perpetrated by the feminist elite TO WIPE OUT MAN...kind lol
Clone in Horizon, see to wipe out man....kind, clone in Alien (not woke at all)

lol

ok pal. Good luck with that. I don't know if Aliens is a Sony game, made today as a brand new IP, that you'd be out here even liking it, you'd just fucking attack it like you are doing with Horizon bud.

Alien-Resurrection-Quotes-Featured.jpg

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
yet anyone can form some argument to scream that Aliens is "woke" that it took a female to save everyone.

" the salvation was seeded by a woman" ie Ripley
"the majority of male characters are either trouble or incompetent" most of the um "male" crew dies in Alien 1, same with Aliens soooooo one could just argue the same fucking shit man, I'm starting to believe if Alien was NEVER a thing and was released as a Sony game as is, you'd just fucking cry about the same fucking shit.

"OH WOW a WOMAN saved the whole crew" WOKE
"OH SHOCK, all the MEN incompetent and or cucks and DIE"....WOKE
" herself doesn't get created through male sperm, but through a duplication " oh wow, so Aliens Resurrection? aka WOKE

Soooooo Ripley saves they day in many films, not woke, Aloy saves the day...must be woke.
Men die in Aliens, not woke, men die in Horizon...a agenda perpetrated by the feminist elite TO WIPE OUT MAN...kind lol
Clone in Horizon, see to wipe out man....kind, clone in Alien (not woke at all)

lol

ok pal. Good luck with that. I don't know if Aliens is a Sony game, made today as a brand new IP, that you'd be out here even liking it, you'd just fucking attack it like you are doing with Horizon bud.

Alien-Resurrection-Quotes-Featured.jpg
The fact that you claimed I 'attacked' Horizon was all I needed to hear. When criticism is considered an attack, it's a huge neon sign for me of who I'm dealing with.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Looks like a women or look like a man, this game will still sells better than most of the games out there.
:messenger_beaming:

Top Bottom