• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West gets a free major update - out now

kyliethicc

New update out now for Horizon 2

New game plus, ultra hard, visual & performance mode changes, and more.

They’re also gonna add a 40 Hz mode for PS5 & VRR support later.

• New Game+
  • Ultra Hard difficulty mode when selecting the difficulty for New Game or New Game Plus
  • Reset Skills functionality within the menu
  • New functionality to apply a different look to Aloy’s armor.
  • New Rewards available in New Game+ (Weapons, Dyes and Face Paints)
  • A New Trophy Set

Last edited:
I haven't played this game in months, downloaded the patch just because I was curious to see the improvements, and the game is making my eyes melt ! I actually forgot how good this game looks.

Now at a crispy clean 60 FPS. Kudos to GG, it might have taken them time but I'm glad they resolved the issue.

Ezekiel_

Banned
The Office Pam GIF

kyliethicc

My hunch is they managed to push a native resolution, maybe 1440 to 4K DRS, I'm not seeing any of the weird checkerboard artifacting.

These are just my first impressions, but I'm curious to see what everyone thinks.
Yeah I’m on a PS4 Pro and they might have tweaked it to native vs CB but I doubt it.

Not sure if it’s just in my head but I don’t see the same CB motion artifacts when spinning the camera fast.

Must be just changes to the TAA.

GymWolf

i bought the game 2 weeks ago, played 40+ hours. In both modes things were not right. They made significant improvements in both modes. Looks outstanding now. Night and Day difference
What did they improved in resolution mode? it is sharp again like it was at day one?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I dont know what they did but i tried out the Fidelity mode before installing the patch and the difference was stark before and after the patch. 30 fps looked much more smoother. I think they might have finally fixed the brightness flickering issue.

Performance mode looks fine too. I dont see any shimmering, but the downgrade from fidelity is still noticeable. will wait for the 40 fps vrr patch.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
i bought the game 2 weeks ago, played 40+ hours. In both modes things were not right. They made significant improvements in both modes. Looks outstanding now. Night and Day difference

I thought a patch bringing a night and day difference would be an exaggeration, but the performance mode actually looks much better now. The game seems to be running in a much higher res. I never noticed the shimmering people were complaining about, but it was clearly much lower res than the quality mode. Now the performance mode is tack sharp too.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Omg performance mode looks so much better and the characters faces don’t look like a blurry mess

I thought a patch bringing a night and day difference would be an exaggeration, but the performance mode actually looks much better now. The game seems to be running in a much higher res. I never noticed the shimmering people were complaining about, but it was clearly much lower res than the quality mode. Now the performance mode is tack sharp too.
Yes, I'm struggling to notice the difference between performance and resolution modes in terms of resolution and sharpness. Keep in mind I'm playing on a 42 inch 4K TV and it's relatively big.

omegasc

Wow at the differences. There's some trailing now but it's waaaaay sharper. Might give it a go with NG+.
Plus a 40fps mode probably means 120hz is going to be supported for perf mode as well, maybe with an unlocked framerate option like Spider-Man.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

Yes, I'm struggling to notice the difference between performance and resolution modes in terms of resolution and sharpness. Keep in mind I'm playing on a 42 inch 4K TV and it's relatively big.
I'm using Performance mode and the update has fixed the shimmering issues which is awesome and it looks great but on my 75" it's quite clear that Fidelity mode is still much sharper, when you aren't moving.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
In outfits, you can now use 1 for the cosmetic (hit triangle) and equip another 1 for the stats.

So you now can just pick your best stats, then pick a look. Each is separate now.
Oh I thought you could mix the outfits and create a new one 🙄

Top Bottom