• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West gets a free major update - out now

assurdum

Banned
Because Alex said all they did was increase the sharpening. That’s how the discussion started.
To be fair IQ is improved on perfomance not just for the sharpening. The plantes are rendered better and sharpening doesn't fix their noisy rendering.

Last edited:

Outlier

Performance mode looks much better now. Thank you GG.

However, it seems they removed the individual difficulty selections. Now it's streamlined and you have less choice... How was that a good design choice? Were people complaining that they couldn't decide how to experience the game or something?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
firefly.gif

Difference is that those EE and DNR masters look ghastly/vomit inducing while Forbidden West Performance Mode looks stunning. Let alone for being a console game with that outrageous graphic fidelity while rendering 60 frames every second.

Every second of playtime now i'm afraid they would tone down sharpness, destroying therefore the perfect balance achieved between their native resolution, their TAA solution and their sharpening.

Every single transfer does, "Reference BD Discs" pre and post DI use forms of sharpening.
You don’t get it do you. Of course every media for displays gets sharpened one way or the other. The problem is when you use too much of it.

I think you’re just trolling now lol.

Guerilla, i will play your game now.

I bet they swapped out far vegitation with new models. I didnt see a way around the visual mess they started with.

Last edited:

Mindman

Performance mode looks much better now. Thank you GG.

However, it seems they removed the individual difficulty selections. Now it's streamlined and you have less choice... How was that a good design choice? Were people complaining that they couldn't decide how to experience the game or something?

That explains why I couldnt find those difficulty settings anymore... Are they buried somewhere now?

jlethal27

Neo Member
Silly question but I have to ask! Would my old KS8000 be capable of 40hz? It says that it's 120hz. I figured that the only way to activate it is with motion flow. I just figured I'd ask.

Rea

Silly question but I have to ask! Would my old KS8000 be capable of 40hz? It says that it's 120hz. I figured that the only way to activate it is with motion flow. I just figured I'd ask.
If your tv'120hz only can be activated with the motion flow (which is Motion interpolation) then you can't play 40hz mode.

Complistic

Updated it and i can see that the picture is better but im just not getting warm with this game.

Its just not fun for me and i dont see myself investing 20-40 hrs in it.

Before giving up on it, I'd recommend experimenting with the different weapons and respecting your character to try a few different play styles if you haven't already and the gameplay is what's got you down.

Urban

Before giving up on it, I'd recommend experimenting with the different weapons and respecting your character to try a few different play styles if you haven't already and the gameplay is what's got you down.
I dont know bro. It feels like a Ubisoft game with a Sony logo to me..and i dont like Ubisoft games

kyliethicc

I usually leave the HDR calibrations at its standard values and it looks fine to me. HDR needing calibration sucks really. It should be automatic.
Problem is TVs vary in dynamic range (min/max brightness.)

If you limit the possible range, then its simpler to setup but the game looks worse.

Sony has an automatic HDR settings feature for their TVs with PS5 that should improve over time.

Sony & Microsoft created HGiG to try to solve this. They implemented a console system level calibration tool.

Its just that only some games use it. Maybe they can/should force all games to support it, idk.

Overall it’s not that hard to setup once you know the basics, and your TV’s range.

Complistic

I dont know bro. It feels like a Ubisoft game with a Sony logo to me..and i dont like Ubisoft games
Me neither but I put about 60 hours into this one. The games does have that Ubibloat that not everyone's into, but if you just ignore the icons and focus on the quests that interest you and experiment with the large combat sandbox, you might have a better time with it.

Or not, I mean whatever lol.

Crayon

The fighting the enemies and the graphics, I hate to admit, elevates it barely out of the pack. Some people like the story, too. If that's not doing it then I don't think it'll get any better.

I've played a bunch and I really like it but as far as aim concerned, nothing that interesting has happened. I'm in for the dinosaur killing/questing loop.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Great analysis by NXGamer NXGamer :

Guerrilla really knocked it out of the park, can't stop playing since this update.

So glad I stopped playing when I got to the first open world part because the image quality was so poor been loving the new update

Shmunter

Big question that needs to be asked here is how did a Sony studio release a product in such obvious inadequate shape. A sign of things to come, or a blip on the radar?

kyliethicc

Big question that needs to be asked here is how did a Sony studio release a product in such obvious inadequate shape. A sign of things to come, or a blip on the radar?
I do think Sony kinda said “that’s enough ship it” after 5 years of development.

I’m sure trying to do QA remotely was a shit show. Of course the pandemic hurt their productivity.

And Guerrilla say they didn’t crunch. Maybe they should have lol

Shmunter

I do think Sony kinda said “that’s enough ship it” after 5 years of development.

I’m sure trying to do QA remotely was a shit show. Of course the pandemic hurt their productivity.

And Guerrilla say they didn’t crunch. Maybe they should have lol
Should have crunched or delayed further, better yet cut ps4 version leaving more time for ps5.

There’s an inherent danger to releasing games in a bad state. People no longer buying day one, brand confidence, etc.

All the early adopters of this got totally gypped. Let’s hope this is a one off because if a pattern forms shit won’t be pretty.

Last edited:
Not a Sony studio. There is a quality benchmark one expects.

But thats what I mean, why is there such a higher standard for a sony game that most people deemed doesn’t even hold a candle to the undisputed GOTY who’s launch quality was in far was shape and still is?

I played Horizon in quality mode cause yeah, performance was trash, but no one seems to bring up the fact that Elden Ring was and sitll is far worse on damn near every platform. The best version is sitll the PS4 version being played via BC.

Its the video game equivalent of rabbit ears. The whole “sony is in big trouble if they don’t get their act together” is funny when even their worse performing games are still better than the 3rd parties everyone celebrates

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Should have crunched or delayed further, better yet cut ps4 version leaving more time for ps5.

There’s an inherent danger to releasing games in a bad state. People no longer buying day one, brand confidence, etc.

All the early adopters of this got totally gypped. Let’s hope this is a one off because if a pattern forms shit won’t be pretty.
I had basically no issues on my PS4 Pro. Would make no sense to cut it since it was always a PS4 game.

How was I ripped off as a day 1 buyer? Got a great game, and now its been made better for free. Replay on PS5 will be great.

Everyone knows waiting to buy games later often has benefits. Is what it is. Up to each person.

Shmunter

I had basically no issues on my PS4 Pro. Would make no sense to cut it since it was always a PS4 game.

How was I ripped off as a day 1 buyer? Got a great game, and now its been made better for free. Replay on PS5 will be great.

Everyone knows waiting to buy games later often has benefits. Is what it is. Up to each person.
Don’t get me started on the cross gen stuff, lol.

Yeah, ps4/pro versions are fine. Early ps5 players wanting 60fps got screwed..

skit_data

Watched NX Gamers IGN review of the patch and all I can say is ”Wow!”.
The difference is huge!

I could’ve just booted up the game myself but I wanted to see a side to side comprison. Probably the biggest graphical difference I’ve ever seen between before/after a patch has been applied in a long time.

Edit: Crazy how much sharper the vegetation looks. Smart solution by Guerilla.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Toning her down and being able to turn off the pickup animation should have bumped up the review scores 1 whole point by itself. That's how annoying it was.
How do you turn off the animation? Was that option there from launch?
So glad I stopped playing when I got to the first open world part because the image quality was so poor been loving the new update
I held on continuing also about 2 hours into the open world. But now I'll hold off until the 40fps VRR patch. Too good to turn down.
And no one will ever ask why Elden Ring is still in such bad shape, especially on PC
PC players are weird. Elden ring is a shit show but gets a pass. Some other games have minor port issues and they start a mass boycott.

Last edited:
How do you turn off the animation? Was that option there from launch?

I held on continuing also about 2 hours into the open world. But now I'll hold off until the 40fps VRR patch. Too good to turn down.

PC players are weird. Elden ring is a shit show but gets a pass. Some other games have minor port issues and they start a mass boycott.
I forget what they call it in the options, but it's toggle you have to turn off yourself. Turning off the pick up animation was added about a month ago or so. It's much better having it turned off, makes the game feel more like ghost of tsushima instead of a chore picking up herbs.

DukeNukem00

Banned
To boil this down, Horizon Forbidden West still uses a checkerboard rendering solution to produce a 3200x1800 image. The anti-aliasing pass relies on input frame data to build the final image, and in early versions, only the current and previous raw rendered frames (prior to reconstruction) were used as this input to produce the final frame. With the new patch, the AA step now combines the current raw frame with the previous complete anti-aliased frame. The final output is still stabilised in just two frames, but it can now utilise image data ('history') from prior frames for longer, which helps reduce shimmering and retain more sub-pixel detail. As stated, this isn't a new technique and it does come with a trade-off: the more data that is used from previous frames, the greater the chance that ghost frames are introduced, requiring further tooling from the developer.

The written article is great in that the senior principal tech programmer actually told them what and how they did with this new patch to resolve the atrocious image quality in the original release. It took a while, but at least we now have 100% accurate information about this, instead of the bullshit nonsense spouted from other "tech" channels

The written article is great in that the senior principal tech programmer actually told them what and how they did with this new patch to resolve the atrocious image quality in the original release. It took a while, but at least we now have 100% accurate information about this, instead of the bullshit nonsense spouted from other "tech" channels

So it was correct that it wasn’t just sharpening.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

The next time people tell me multiplatform development doesn't hurt video game quality, I will point them to this post and towards HFW. GG devs and QA staff had to take over the PC version of HZD after it shipped in a broken state and spent 6 months fixing it from September 2020 to January 2021 at the end of which they said they would no longer support it due to other priorities. Who is to say that this 6 month period didnt cause the HFW delay and indirectly affected the game's quality at launch.

DukeNukem00

Banned
The next time people tell me multiplatform development doesn't hurt video game quality, I will point them to this post and towards HFW. GG devs and QA staff had to take over the PC version of HZD after it shipped in a broken state and spent 6 months fixing it from September 2020 to January 2021 at the end of which they said they would no longer support it due to other priorities. Who is to say that this 6 month period didnt cause the HFW delay and indirectly affected the game's quality at launch.

God of War was ported by an outside team of 4 people and supported since launch. Do you think it was very different for Horizon ? Even after Guerilla took the port in house ? Its not like they shifted considerable resources in order to make a handfull of patches for PC and the entire sequel suffered because 3 people were doing Zero Dawn for PC. This is how they released the game, because making games is just that difficult these days

Ammogeddon

Patch looks great but I’m still going to hold out progressing the game until the 40fps update. Anyone got an inkling as to when it might drop?

Top Bottom