• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West Graphics Comparison: PS4 vs. PS5

i remember when this was revealed and people said that the forest was due to the superior geometry engine.
Can someone do a comparison with the reveal trailer? I was told that even the small crabs will look like that in game!

Elog

i remember when this was revealed and people said that the forest was due to the superior geometry engine.
Can someone do a comparison with the reveal trailer? I was told that even the small crabs will look like that in game!

One of the reviewers stated that this entire reveal is in game/ in engine - including the crabs - and it looks like that in PS5 resolution mode. We will see - have not played the game myself yet so.

Mr Moose

Wait 4 days, buy it, then let us know if it is.

After months of hearing on this forum how PS5 version isn't held back by last gen it's funny to see PS5 and PS4 versions being near identical bar minor upgrades and resolution/framerate differences as is the case with all cross gen games. This is obviously a PS4 game being up-ported and not a PS5 game being down-ported, so much for the developers' claim that they're taking advantage of PS5.
The game is beautiful and probably with very fun gameplay based on the videos we all saw today but you want to bush the developer for some reason. What would change if this game had better graphics? In fact you must be happy and praising the good job the Dev done that this kind of awesome game was possible on a 9 years old hardware. In the end you play the game and not watch a movie.

One of the reviewers stated that this entire reveal is in game/ in engine - including the crabs - and it looks like that in PS5 resolution mode. We will see - have not played the game myself yet so.
Reviewers say alot of things that turn out to be false once its in-depedent-ly looked at.
If that was so, he should have no problem showing it.

Last edited:

Edder1

The game is beautiful and probably with very fun gameplay based on the videos we all saw today but you want to bush the developer for some reason. What would change if this game had better graphics? In fact you must be happy and praising the good job the Dev done that this kind of awesome game was possible on a 9 years old hardware. In the end you play the game and not watch a movie.
This is a graphics comparison thread, please go to other threads if you're gonna get offended about visual comparison and just wanna discuss gameplay, etc.

Last edited:

Elog

Reviewers say alot of things that turn out to be false once its in-depedent-ly looked at.
If that was so, he should have no problem showing it.
Absolutely - let us come back to this when we can actually check it out ourselves. So no point in making snarky internet comments in the mean time either - right?

Razvedka

Banned
Well. I mean the game looks amazing and it's pretty incredible on the PS4. So hats off to Guerrilla for giving that old box impressive legs.

But man, that's it for PS5? I know it's been echoed in this thread and everywhere else, but crossgen truly sucks. How might this or the new God of War really looked if they were PS5 only?

Just buy the PS4 version of this for cheap and upgrade to PS4 for free. Zero reason to pay a next gen tax.

TonyK

Almost identical. Like the pro version but at 60fps. I thought it would be a proper next gen game with a downgraded last gen version, not a last gen version with a "patch" for next gen. This is closer to the recent Uncharted remasters than a proper next gen release. Disappointing. But I will buy it anyway.

Hunnybun

Seems nobody has picked up that PS4 is running at half of native 1080p. That's a pretty big clue why the PS5 version isn't a generation ahead: the base game only looks so good because it's basically half the res of all other big PS4 games!

Obviously that's going to reduce the scope for the PS5 version!

Aaron Olive

My two cents...
XzGvbHP.png

Swift_Star

Banned
It's fundamentally graphically the same, it's a last generation game which is what everyone with a modicum of common sense was saying all along. You obviously had the PS fanboys claiming it looked as good as the Hellblade 2 footage, as laughable as that sounds now it was many posters on here saying just that. I'm getting this probably unless it turns out average (unlikely IMO).
It itsn't. I don't know what you're getting at, it's shown geometry and everything else is better and more refined in the ps5 version. lol, what a reach.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
NGL.

PS4 Pro version looks extremely competent and I think I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of it.

May replay in the future if/when I ever get a PS5 but for now it doesn't feel like this is a Shadow of Mordor PS3 situation.

Called it lol

At least hero lighting is good.

XmAG8dj.png

IoHZvW6.jpg
s2kGgZp.png

PS4 Pro still pulling its weight.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It is interesting how much power goes into making what can seem like very minor differences.

I recently played Halo Inifinite at 120hz performance mode and flicking between that and the quality mode, I couldn't really tell much of a difference. I'm playing again at 60hz and find myself thinking "wow, this looks really good" and basically never thought that on the previous playthrough, despite not being able to tell the difference when flicking back and forth. I can imagine this will be the same, it'll probably look just fine for everyone, whatever their platform, but if you get used to how one version looks and then go to another you'll find that the difference is more obvious.

after watching this, can you imagine what guerilla can do with PS5 only? forbidden west is a PS4 game with a PS5 port. comparing them on your phone screen is stupid though. 60fps is worth it alone.

Last edited:
Instead of criticizing the PS5 graphics, which were never going to be amazeballs being a cross-gen game, we should praise how good the PS4 version looks. That's a testament on how good Guerrilla are at graphics.
Can't wait to see they are able to do when they ditch PS4
Actually it's been pointed out that if you praise the PS4 version you are stealth trolling and should be banned.

Shmunter

Seems nobody has picked up that PS4 is running at half of native 1080p. That's a pretty big clue why the PS5 version isn't a generation ahead: the base game only looks so good because it's basically half the res of all other big PS4 games!

That’s gfx resolution, the most basic tool of scalability. What on earth is the PS5 cpu doing on a game that is perfectly fine executing on a netbook like Jaguar. What about the extreme difference in I/o bandwidth, what’s it doing?

Nothing here is built around a PS5 except the basic knobs and levers of fundamental GPU scaling.

Mozza

Actually it's been pointed out that if you praise the PS4 version you are stealth trolling and should be banned.
Yes you have to say the regular PS4 version is utter garbage, when in fact it looks pretty good, not surprising considering it's a cross generation game, and the difference in graphics between generations is getting less and less.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

That’s gfx resolution, the most basic tool of scalability. What on earth is the PS5 cpu doing on a game that is perfectly fine executing on a netbook like Jaguar. What about the extreme difference in I/o bandwidth, what’s it doing?

Nothing here is built around a PS5 except the basic knobs and levers of fundamental GPU scaling.

Yeah but I'm not claiming that it's fully using the PS5, just that the base PS4 version is going to look much better than a typical PS4 game because of the 50% resolution, and therefore that comparisons between it and the PS5 version are distorted right from the off.

I'm not saying that half resolution plus ultra settings plus more geometry and other stuff IS a next gen leap, but it's a lot closer to that than a lot of the catastrophists in this thread are making out.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Which review was it? They might be talking about the gameplay reveal last year and not this trailer from a couple of years ago.

SlimySnake

Funny how we went from "you're blind if you don't see this is next-gen" to drawing circles to highlight the tiny differences from PS4 to PS5.

I don't care about Horizon and I think the art is bad, like a pastiche of Avatar, but more concerned about GT7, which could be locked to PS4 tech for the whole generation.
GT7 looks extremely underwhelming. At least GG put in some effort to make this game look way better than the original. yes, they had to reduce the resolution by half, but the graphics upgrades are major. Aside from the new dynamic lighting system in GT7, I really dont see any major improvements over Sports.

SlimySnake

Yeah but I'm not claiming that it's fully using the PS5, just that the base PS4 version is going to look much better than a typical PS4 game because of the 50% resolution, and therefore that comparisons between it and the PS5 version are distorted right from the off.

I'm not saying that half resolution plus ultra settings plus more geometry and other stuff IS a next gen leap, but it's a lot closer to that than a lot of the catastrophists in this thread are making out.
Pretty sure all the latest CoDs have been using checkerboard 1080p on the base PS4. This is not a new thing.

PS4 has had plenty of sub 1080p games including games like BF4 which were 900p at launch. only 40% more pixels than what GG is doing here. Several Xbox One games which was the lowest common denominator for this gen were 720p as well.

Im more impressed by what they achieved on PS4 Pro than PS5.

The first was good imo as was the DLC , looking forward to playing it this weekend.

Classic case of bad to good being easier to spot than good to great. The added details are nice, but nothing that is going to stand out that much in gameplay. Good for screenshots I guess.

Current-gen power is better used to increase world size and density vs. these kind of detail upgrades IMO.
Agreed and that level of detail is easy to bring in and out based off of camera proximity. I'm super excited to play this and I'm glad I can do that on my PS4 Pro. (Not going to pay over MSRP for a PS5 when everything I want to play will come out on PS4 this year.

If the peach fuzz was persistent, responded to physics, and got realistically wet.....then I would feel like it's next gen. /s

All I can see is that I will be glad to play this on my PS5 in Performance mode just like how it is meant to be played. The PS4 version is obsolete

arvfab

Banned

Pssssh don't destroy the narrative with truth and logic

Season 1 Lol GIF by Friends

Hunnybun

Pretty sure all the latest CoDs have been using checkerboard 1080p on the base PS4. This is not a new thing.

PS4 has had plenty of sub 1080p games including games like BF4 which were 900p at launch. only 40% more pixels than what GG is doing here. Several Xbox One games which was the lowest common denominator for this gen were 720p as well.

I think they're all 60fps games though?

The fairer comparison points are other big Sony 30fps single player games. I'm pretty sure they're all native 1080p - although Spider-Man might be 900p, I can't remember but I've a feeling there was some concession there. But generally even the best stuff like TLOU2 was 1080p.

Mr Moose

Which is weird for John considering his tag here was 60fps60fps60fps60fps
However, curiously, similar to Forza Horizon 5, the choice between gaming at 30fps and 60fps may not be as straightforward as it sounds. While 60fps may seem like the obvious choice bearing in mind the 2160p vs 1800p checkerboard difference, it's actually the case that the graphical quality is far richer in the 30fps mode as a result of this clarity. Both myself and Rich Leadbetter (who also played the game) opted to play at 30fps. Double the frame-rate is nice, but you're missing out on a decently-sized chunk of the next-gen (current-gen?) experience. Whichever way you choose to play, however, we highly recommend that you buy this game.

Mr Moose Mr Moose since 60fps is not available on PS4 I would also consider that a decent chunk of next gen experience. This seems like another example of John preferring something but struggling with the why. He's allowed to just prefer it without forcing a why.

Stuart360

Even if the graphics were identicle, 60fps on PS5 makes that version the way better version.
Instead of looking at slight differences, just look at the game itself and does it look good?, yes it looks great.

I dont really understand the meltdowns over this, or the silly meltdowns over a MC score of 89. Some of you take this way too serious and make this place frustrating at a time when people should be excited over a big new game.

Top Bottom