• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West Graphics Comparison: PS4 vs. PS5

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Horizon Forbidden West is almost here, and as we all know, it'll be launching on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5. That technically gives us four graphics options to look at: the base model PS4, PS4 Pro, and PS5's performance mode and resolution mode. In this video, you'll get several side-by-side comparisons of all four version to show you exactly what you'll see no matter which platform you're playing on.

6NEBcVB.png

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Cross gen bbe. PS4 version still offering great experience but I need 60fps.

looking forward to picking this up down the road once it’s patched a bit.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Deffo some foliage increase on the geometry on ps5, overall it looks great on all systems but the ps5 ain’t some insane jump. You can see the difference, but it isn’t generational.
it’s obvious when it’s cross gen, all cross gen games are affected. I think there’s only so much you can do.

as long as it looks great and runs a solid 60fps then I’m happy.

Called it lol

At least hero lighting is good.

XmAG8dj.png

IoHZvW6.jpg
s2kGgZp.png
It's fundamentally graphically the same, it's a last generation game which is what everyone with a modicum of common sense was saying all along. You obviously had the PS fanboys claiming it looked as good as the Hellblade 2 footage, as laughable as that sounds now it was many posters on here saying just that. I'm getting this probably unless it turns out average (unlikely IMO).

ToTTenTranz

Banned
If the differences aren't sufficiently self-explanatory in side-by-side comparisons and people need to draw small circles to point out the subtle differences between the versions, then it's obvious to me that this is a last-gen game made with last-gen hardware limitations in mind.

I'm pretty sure this is still a spectacular game nonetheless, but this and GoW Ragnarok aren't the next-gen show-offs we were expecting.

skit_data

Yeah, I saw that post and it bodes well but I wanna know about other differences like draw distance, if there differences in geometry etc.

I wonder when it will be available? Today? Later in the week?

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Yeah, I saw that post and it bodes well but I wanna know about other differences like draw distance, if there differences in geometry etc.

I wonder when it will be available? Today? Later in the week?
I haven't spotted any difference outside of resolution in the banned source video, and the video covered every single graphical element. Probably due to compression, but i hope that's really the case.

Not that it will matter anyway, according to what i saw already it's Performance Mode for me without a single doubt.

sncvsrtoip

disappointing loading times for a first party game, 1080p cb on ps4 must be first time we seen, nice they added folliage interactivity, hero lightning shows big improvement in some scenes but have feeling quality generaly is not on level of first gameplay trailer that looks awsome

Last edited:

Business

When we have to go comparing side by side, zooming, circling and pointing... we need to pause and add labels to show what is what because you couldn't quickly guess by yourself looking at the screenshots if it's PS4 base, Pro or PS5 performance...

A shame it didn't make sense for them to build a PS5 game from the ground up, but it seems like that's the norm these days.

Last edited:

Edder1

After months of hearing on this forum how PS5 version isn't held back by last gen it's funny to see PS5 and PS4 versions being near identical bar minor upgrades and resolution/framerate differences as is the case with all cross gen games. This is obviously a PS4 game being up-ported and not a PS5 game being down-ported, so much for the developers' claim that they're taking advantage of PS5.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

dat stealth trolling
I think he's saying because it looks/plays so good on the OG PS4 it's the most impressive, which I can understand with how old the console is, it's one of the best looking PS4 games.
The character lighting though looks a lot better on the PS5.
What's with some gaming videos quality lately? They've been low quality/bitrate, falls to shit as soon as there's fast movement.

Top Bottom