• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West Graphics Comparison: PS4 vs. PS5

mnkl13

i'm curious to see how the ps4 version is underwater, did they show already? i'm not finding anything. i thought underwater sections were the biggest difference between versions

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I know. On PC people are spending 2000 USD on GPUs to get these differences but here they are expecting completely different games between consoles. Makes me roll my eyes. Most of it is trolling anyway.
A 7850 was ~$150 in 2013. The upgrade to a RX 480/GTX 1060 was ~$250 in 2016. The upgrade to a 3060 12GB is ~$400 in 2021. With DLSS that's about what it should take to match the jump from PS4 Pro to PS5.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Typical cross gen rez, frame and slider bump. Wasted potential for next gen hardware.

Yes, its why my eyes rolled back when people were insinuating this is representative of the PS5s caperbilities.

People need to understand the impact of the base platform everything is designed around its limitations.

This is not saying its bad though its not.
FW on PS5 is being treated like a PS4 pro 2, not a new generation game.

It has me hopeful for full current gen games, where they are designing the game with SSD, zen2 cores, mesh shaders etc at there foundation.

UE5 is amazing tech, but it is rather general purpose.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The question to ask is, is PS4 hard still really that capable, or is Guerilla's talent in finding a way to get that much out of it?

The tech has matured, I remember John Carmack talking about the X1 + PS4 can never be fully "tapped out" because they can keep on finding new and different ways of doing things. Also the move to 1080p checkerboard will also help.

rofif

Banned
Decima is my fav engine now. Seeing what it does in Death Stranding and this.
The cinematics and landscapes... I would love "Fuel 2" game with that. I used to spend hours roaming around looking at the views. I like doing the same in Death Stranding but I wish there was "no bts" mod

Azurro

Banned
Yup. People looked at me like I was crazy when I said the PC version of HZD would look similar or better than the PS5 version. I knew the graphics engine was going to be the same for HFW therefore not much new features (i.e. RT) was going to be implemented. The results prove there is no generational jump between the two games like many assumed - just small differences (i.e. hero light rig) that can easily be implemented without an entirely new graphics pipeline. The games look great on all the platforms!

I love how sneaky you are. Maybe you'd be more impressed if it was rendering more things outside of the frustum. 😉

PaintTinJr

It is probably going to be a great game on all platforms, but the 13secs of loading on the PS5 is an insult to the intelligence of the gaming audience with the £70 next-gen price tag - or have buy the ps4 version and then install both PS4 and PS5 version in the sparse SSD space, because like Sack boy the PS4 version auto installs on every cold boot.

We know there is only 16GBs of unified RAM in the PS5, so even ignoring the IO complex, and just going by the PS5 SSD raw transfer rate working at 50%, the PS5 should still have at least 8secs of doing absolutely nothing at all in those 13secs if this was actually a next-gen developed game.

I can only assume the loading system is the old one from the HZD PS5 update and Death Stranding Director's cut using decompression on the CPU and gaining slightly from having access to more memory and faster storage for the disk transfers.

The cynic in me thinks this is about ensuring the game isn't finished on the released disc, and also because they need to retain the old loading system for when they release the game on PC - which would certainly support the GAF argument against PC ports of first party games, because it hampers a game at the design level, and just has everyone that bought the console hardware feeling like a mug, because exclusive hardware features end up not getting used.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

So 4k30 is the best way to play the game? It’s a shame really I was hoping it would be a bit like Demons Souls where 1440p would be at 60fps and we’d get the best of both worlds but seems not.

Still looking forward to playing it and if it’a a stable 30 and good motion blur I’m good.

DaGwaphics

Not exactly. It is running at Nintendo switch type resolution checkerboarded up to 1080p. It looks really good though.

On another note, the game looks stunning.

image-horizon-forbidden-west-44153-4519-0020.jpg

image-horizon-forbidden-west-44153-4519-0012.jpg

image-horizon-forbidden-west-44153-4519-0006.jpg

Amazing shots. The world they created is so vibrant.

DeepSpace5D

It’s going to feel like a very long 4 days waiting for this one to drop. The PS5 resolution mode looks gorgeous, but I’m not sure I want to sacrifice the 60fps after playing Zero Dawn at 60fps.

I’ll probably play the same way I’ve been doing during the Legacy of Thieves collection, Fidelity mode during exploration/puzzle solving moments and switch to Performance for all combat scenarios.

tommib

It’s going to feel like a very long 4 days waiting for this one to drop. The PS5 resolution mode looks gorgeous, but I’m not sure I want to sacrifice the 60fps after playing Zero Dawn at 60fps.

I’ll probably play the same way I’ve been doing during the Legacy of Thieves collection, Fidelity mode during exploration/puzzle solving moments and switch to Performance for all combat scenarios.
I would like at least an option to have cutscenes at 30 fps 4K quality mode on more games. GOT DC does this for aesthetic reasons. I’m currently playing Uncharted Legacy and Rift Apart in 60 fps mode and I’m constantly switching cutscenes to fidelity 30 fps. I do the same with the final fantasy VII remake. There’s no point in having lower fidelity cutscenes at 60 fps.

Also, the 30 fps helps with (gasp!) making non-interactive scenes more cinematic.

Last edited:
It is probably going to be a great game on all platforms, but the 13secs of loading on the PS5 is an insult to the intelligence of the gaming audience with the £70 next-gen price tag - or have buy the ps4 version and then install both PS4 and PS5 version in the sparse SSD space, because like Sack boy the PS4 version auto installs on every cold boot.

We know there is only 16GBs of unified RAM in the PS5, so even ignoring the IO complex, and just going by the PS5 SSD raw transfer rate working at 50%, the PS5 should still have at least 8secs of doing absolutely nothing at all in those 13secs if this was actually a next-gen developed game.

I can only assume the loading system is the old one from the HZD PS5 update and Death Stranding Director's cut using decompression on the CPU and gaining slightly from having access to more memory and faster storage for the disk transfers.

The cynic in me thinks this is about ensuring the game isn't finished on the released disc, and also because they need to retain the old loading system for when they release the game on PC - which would certainly support the GAF argument against PC ports of first party games, because it hampers a game at the design level, and just has everyone that bought the console hardware feeling like a mug, because exclusive hardware features end up not getting used.
Sony has been treating its ps5 playerbase like absolute shit since the ps5 came out so it wouldn't surprise me at all if your right about that. I wouldn't have a problem with Sony bringing games to PC if they made sure that they updated the ps5 versions of games with the same amount of effort as the PC. Obviously, the PC version will have higher settings but like with God of War, if Sony had respect for us they would've updated the ps5 version the exact same day GOW PC released. Optimize the game for ps5 and release a patch so we don't feel like chop suei. Instead all we get is a 2x framerate boost. Same goes for GoT, Days Gone, Last of Us 2, Horizon 1, and Uncharted 4 "demastered". They're all basically just 2x fps boosts with the couple of them getting the super fast loading time since Sony was kind enough to make a ps5 native version for a few of them (but of course they charged us).

Sony has treated us like shit. Look at the most recent bullshit they're pulling with Horizon:FW where there's no option to buy the ps4 version digitally because it's $10 cheaper.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
1. PS4 version looks remarkably good

2. PS5 version looks gorgeous and could have been even more impressive were it next-gen only

3. As always, Performance mode >>>> any other mode (unless the other mode can still do 60). I'm starting to think those who - for some darkly bizarre reason - choose Res/Quality over Performance need to seriously consider booking appointments with both an optometrist and neurologist ASAP.

Last edited:

TonyK

1. PS4 version looks remarkably good

2. PS5 version looks gorgeous and could have been even more impressive were it next-gen only

3. As always, Performance mode >>>> any other mode (unless the other mode can still do 60). I'm starting to think those who - for some darkly bizarre reason - choose Res/Quality over Performance need to seriously consider booking appointments with both an optometrist and neurologist ASAP.
I have three friends that will buy the game day one. All of them, including me, will play the game at 4k 30fps. Same as Ratchet & Clank. Not ashamed for that, only we want next gen graphics feeling, not Ps4pro feelings.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I have three friends that will buy the game day one. All of them, including me, will play the game at 4k 30fps. Same as Ratchet & Clank. Not ashamed for that, only we want next gen graphics feeling, not Ps4pro feelings.

Quite ironic then that you chose the word "feeling" because at that 30 fps it will *feel* like shit and more akin to vanilla PS4, nvm Pro lol. Anyway, everyone should play however they want to play, I'm mostly just teasing 👍.

Can you at least give me a release date for Hellblade 2 before I make a statement on the comparison between the two?
I never made the comparison but I contested some who did and claimed HFW was on a similar level graphically. Anyway, great reviews so I've been forced to get this even though I didn't like the first one that much.

ethomaz

Banned
And just like that we're back to 30 fps for the eye candy.
Well the game really shines in 30fps.
60fps mode looks like last gen game just like pics posted in that thread.

I'm on the side that the 60fps trade off is not worth in any game this generation... of course there are games already 60fps and these should continue being 60fps but I really wonder how much better a GT7 could be in 30fps :messenger_fire:

Last edited:
Yup. People looked at me like I was crazy when I said the PC version of HZD would look similar or better than the PS5 version. I knew the graphics engine was going to be the same for HFW therefore not much new features (i.e. RT) was going to be implemented. The results prove there is no generational jump between the two games like many assumed - just small differences (i.e. hero light rig) that can easily be implemented without an entirely new graphics pipeline. The games look great on all the platforms!

What a complete load of shite

Lolol. The difference is huge

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I would like at least an option to have cutscenes at 30 fps 4K quality mode on more games. GOT DC does this for aesthetic reasons. I’m currently playing Uncharted Legacy and Rift Apart in 60 fps mode and I’m constantly switching cutscenes to fidelity 30 fps. I do the same with the final fantasy VII remake. There’s no point in having lower fidelity cutscenes at 60 fps.

Also, the 30 fps helps with (gasp!) making non-interactive scenes more cinematic.

I wished so much for exactly this while playing Rift Apart. For gameplay I'm all about that 60, but for cutscenes I just want the highest visual quality possible. The cutscenes in that game look SO AMAZING in fidelity mode, and while they still look nice in performance mode they do lose some of that Pixar quality. And 30 also feels more cinematic, as you say.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You’re the one that needs to be shown the door

I can use my own two eyes to see an enormous difference
The funny thing is that VFX had said the PC version of Horizon 1 would look BETTER than Horizon 2 on PS5 knowing that it would be a next gen only title. Not even cross gen like it ended up being.

Now a cross gen sequel held back by the base PS4 looks better but instead of being gracious and admitting he got it wrong, hes doubling down.

If anything this leap proves that when a real next gen Horizon 3 comes out next gen, it will blow away the PC version of Horizon 1.

Fbh

I mean...it looks really nice on Ps5 but the most impressive part here is how nice it looks on last gen.

And to me comparisons like these continue to show how the whole $10 next gen tax is BS (I know this one is a free update, but only because they were forced to backtrack on their $10 upgrade path). The biggest differences between the Ps4 and Ps5 version comes down to basic settings like resolution, framerate and draw distance running at a higher preset due to the stronger hardware. What element made the Ps5 significantly more expensive to make than the Ps4 one?.

SlimySnake

I mean...it looks really nice on Ps5 but the most impressive part here is how nice it looks on last gen.

And to me comparisons like these continue to show how the whole $10 next gen tax is BS (I know this one is a free update, but only because they were forced to backtrack on their $10 upgrade path). The biggest differences between the Ps4 and Ps5 version comes down to basic settings like resolution, framerate and draw distance running at a higher preset due to the stronger hardware. What element made the Ps5 significantly more expensive to make than the Ps4 one?.
At least, GG added some enhanced graphics features for HFW. MLB The Show devs just updated the resolution to native 4k and called it a day. Zero other graphics improvements.

So basically, opening up an ini file and changing resolution from 2560*1440 to 3840*2160 cost them $10 per copy.

lachesis

Well, Other than that dude has no nipples, on base PS4, the game looks amazing.
To be honest, depending on the screen size and how far I'm sitting... I may not be able to tell the difference other than frame rate.
..and that's one of the reason that I find fps is so important in this generation.

I think this is a proof that the talented artists (like some of the Sony 1st party devs, whom are indeed industry leading artists) can bring out the most out of almost anything, in given time and budget...and more talented they are - closer to the "point of diminishing return" in visual fidelity.... and IMHO, that's where the raw power of increased resolution and fps come into play and really shines.

SlimySnake

Whats weird is that the PC version HZD definitely loads faster than 13 seconds, especially when during fast travel which IIRC is only 3-4 seconds. I will check and update the numbers if I still have the game installed on my PC.

Now granted, I have a CPU that can hit 5.1 Ghz and the 7GBps 980 Pro so both faster than the PS5 CPU and SSD speeds but I dont have the IO block, and this is basically a PC port of a 5 year old game.

I think the fact that this game is shipping with so many bugs, lack of 40 fps mode, RT features, and slow loading means they probably ran out of time. They also have another game in development so it's possible that the studio had resources split between two games. They had also spent around six months fixing the PC version of HZD so its possible that they simply lacked the resources to add those features to the PS5 version. I expect them to be patched in the next few months.

SSfox

PS5 is awesome, but man can't help but think how this game will looks even more insane on a PS5 Pro with quality mode at 60 fps. The game looks already phenomenal, with a PS5 pro it will just be too ridiculous!!!

I've skipped PS4 Pro cause it was kinda useless imo, but i think i may jump on the wagon of PS5 Pro tho.

Last edited:

Edder1

Yup. People looked at me like I was crazy when I said the PC version of HZD would look similar or better than the PS5 version.
You can't be serious, this is a cross gen game bullt around PS4 hardware. When PS5 only Horizon arrives then we can talk, else you're coming across as very disingenuous. Your statement is wrong anyway, the first game on PC in no way shape or form looks better than the second game.

Last edited:

Certinty

Can’t believe what I’m reading here. The PS5 version looks so much better than the PS4.

Honestly one of the biggest differences I’ve seen in a cross-gen game and some people are downplaying the differences. Wow.

SlimySnake

PS5 is awesome, but man can't help but think how this game will looks even more insane on a PS5 Pro with quality mode at 60 fps. The game looks already phenomenal, with a PS5 pro it will just be too ridiculous!!!

I've skipped PS4 Pro cause it was kinda useless imo, but i think i may jump on the wagon of PS5 Pro tho.
PS4 Pro was incredible from Day One. Games like BF1 which were around 40 fps on PS4, maintained a 60 fps framerate on the Pro. The Pro also got 60 fps nodes for SOTC and GOW, and it enhanced older PS4 games like Infamous Second Son and KZSF by improving their framerate from an uncapped 35 fps to a locked 60 fps.

It's downsampling option made games like ratchet look CGish on 1080p screens.

Top Bottom