• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West has sold over 8.4 million copies since launch

Thirty7ven

Banned

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/05/09/20-years-of-guerrilla-the-story-of-a-playstation-studio/

As of April 16, 2023, the Horizon franchise has sold through more than 32.7 million units worldwide, of which Horizon Forbidden West has sold through over 8.4 million units. Millions more around the world have discovered Horizon thanks to PlayStation’s subscription services and initiatives, including PlayStation Plus, and Play at Home. All told, it’s a milestone we never imagined possible twenty years ago when we first started making games.

Not too shabby.

Aenima

That seems like… not a lot for a late gen sequel to a game that sold over 20 million.

Don’t get me wrong I’m sure it made money and that’s good performance for a game overall, but, yeah. It’d be like if Pokémon came out and said a new main game sold under 10 millions
Dude, are u seriously comparing pokemon to Horizon in terms of popularity?

Most games are a huge sucess if they sell 1 million.

Pelta88

R.fd908bb57e3f06d94c6bbb9dda617b97

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
That seems like… not a lot for a late gen sequel to a game that sold over 20 million.

Don’t get me wrong I’m sure it made money and that’s good performance for a game overall, but, yeah. It’d be like if Pokémon came out and said a new main game sold under 10 millions
tbf, most game sales would look pale if compared to pokemon.

A trashy pokemon game would still sell millions.

Eotheod

Dude, are u seriously comparing pokemon to Horizon in terms of popularity?

Most games are a huge sucess if they sell 1 million.
Not for Sony's AAA tentpole titles. They even said they want to release games that are too big to fail, and have a clear goal of over a good few million to measure success. A million is great for smaller games, but we are talking stupid budgets with these ones.

Dr_Ifto

Figured it would be more, since the first hit 20, but that first one was 20 bucks for a long time, and sometimes on sale for 10 bucks.

It's selling faster than the first game (which was at 7M after 1 year).

Right, but barely. And that was a new IP, on just one platform, with a much smaller install-base. If I was Sony I’d probably be expecting growth.

Maybe Pokémon was a bad comparison, God of War Ragnarok is better. That game is already over 11 M copies (in less time) and pacing ahead of God of War 2018 by like 35%. That’s the performance you’d expect.

Fake

In par with Days Gone and GoT, but not in the same god status as God od War.

GoW still an unmatch franchise for Sony.

The PC version of this game will come close enough.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Right, but barely. And that was a new IP, on just one platform, with a much smaller install-base. If I was Sony I’d probably be expecting growth.

Maybe Pokémon was a bad comparison, God of War Ragnarok is better. That game is already over 11 M copies (in less time) and pacing ahead of God of War 2018 by like 35%. That’s the performance you’d expect.

So what are you saying? It's a disappointment in relation to expectations (which were?)? Every sequel should sell 35% better than the last?

God of War being a storied franchise with 2018 being GOTY not really worth mentioning?

Ozriel

M$FT

Why would you expect Horizon to outsell GoW? Or even match it in performance?

8+ million copies is really impressive in one year.

Fake

Sony was pretty confident telling the cost dev of God of War: Ragnarok, so they could say what was the cost of HFW for we compare with this sales.

In fact, even telling the cost of both HFW and TLOUS2 would be better for comparison, but I guess this is a no go.

Last edited:

kyussman

I enjoyed the first game a good amount and I think the premise with the post,post apocalypse,the robo animals and tribes of peoples is all just fantastic.....but after the first game I think I've had enough.I haven't played the second game and don't think I will,it looked very much more of the same in a way that turned me off.I also found Aloy kinda meh as a protagonist.They will keep on with the IP now as it's been very successful but I miss Killzone(said no one ever,lol).Guerrilla are so talented though,fantastic studio!

Last edited:

ProtoByte

7.6, but yeah.

It's doubly impressive considering the point of release during the life cycles of the PS4 and PS5 respectively. Yes, I know Forbidden West is on PS4, but all data indicates that the supermajority of sales are on the PS5, and that the number of active PS4 users is quickly dwindling.

Continuing PS5 sales and a complete edition will boost sales even further.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
someone from resetera said HFW pricing is still higher than HZD in a year, if this is true HFW seems quite a success for a sequel and it was sold at a higher price./

graywolf323

Gold Member
glad to see it’s doing well, I’m still a little concerned for how they’re going to finish this trilogy with Lance Reddick having passed away tragically 😢 he was so good as Sylens

don’t bring facts into concern trolling

Top Bottom