• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West has sold over 8.4 million copies since launch

Drizzlehell

Banned
Celebrating mediocrity.

Ever feel like you're starting to slip away and become the very geezer you swore you'll never turn into when you were arguing with your parents back in the day...?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
someone from resetera said HFW pricing is still higher than HZD in a year, if this is true HFW seems quite a success for a sequel and it was sold at a higher price./

I picked it up at £15 brand new at Xmas. Both ps4 and ps5 versions of the game were bomba price in the UK.

Gudji

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

jm89

Does anyone know if sony keep their 1st party games in the ps plus library permanently? or is it a timed period?
IIRC Spiderman recently got removed, and i'm pretty sure in the past 2019 maybe, god of war 2018 was on psnow(ps plus extra/premium now) for something like 3 months and removed.

But mostly they keep them permanentley.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
IIRC spiderman recently got removed, and i'm pretty sure in the past 2019 maybe, god of war 2018 was on psnow for something like 3 months and removed.

Yeah, I sold my copy of this when it came on ps plus but I still can't bring myself to play it. Too many good games out now.

If its there when I fancy it. So be it.

It's funny how the title makes all the difference. The other thread which (jokingly) said BOMBA has people acting as if the game was a commercial failure.

I don't think most know what is good and bad for sales and overreact based on someone telling them if they should be impressed or not.

Topher

Gold Member
"Boost" Shit was barely a 10% up, and it delayed FW because Guerrilla put efforts in the pc port.

Hopefully they learned and FW will stay a true PS exclusive with no PC port this time.

2.4 million sales as of March of last year. That's a nice chunk of revenue they wouldn't have had otherwise. I don't think the lesson they learned is what you think it is.

It's pretty clear Sony is happy with the sales of HFW because they have already greenlit another sequel. HFW reportedly only cost 100 million, probably 150 with marketing. Sony's big AAA releases are pretty much guaranteed to cross 10 million in sales. Their brand is that solidified with the public. Game Budgets could double, and they'd still be printing money

reksveks

It's selling faster than the first game (which was at 7M after 1 year).
Was doing that maths as well, per unit it's a bit slower if we are assuming an average rate but by revenue it's probably faster.

7.6m after 353 days = 21530 per day
8.4m after 422 days = 19,900 per day but obviously at a higher price point.

I do think H:ZD wouldnt have sold 800k over 70 days at that point so it may actually be ahead if we had the full data set.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Was doing that maths as well, per unit it's a bit slower if we are assuming an average rate but by revenue it's probably faster.

7.6m after 353 days = 21530 per day
8.4m after 422 days = 19,900 per day but obviously at a higher price point.

I do think H:ZD wouldnt have sold 800k over 70 days at that point so it may actually be ahead if we had the full data set.
Yeah but not every copy sold at full price so it makes it difficult.

Same for the first I imagine.

Wasn't this on Playstation Plus too? I played it for 2 hours and was bored to death. Honestly 8.5 million is pretty low for a sequel to one of Sony's biggest new IPs.

Eotheod

Awesome, now hopefully they learned and FW will stay a true PS exclusive with no PC port this time
Why do some people hate options for others? How does a PC version affect you if you were going to buy it on PS5 anyway? I just don't understand this console warrior hatred to the PC platform. Makes literally zero sense and ignores perfectly claimable profit for the company you zealot so heavy for.

Portugeezer

Apparently it had a €110 million budget, which is not large for a AAA game these days.

Even if we lowball and say every copy was sold for just 50 euros that's over €400 million revenue.

This had how many extra ps4s and ps5s to sell to?

Still, 8.4 million is a lot.
Console install base doesn't work like that. Every franchise has it's own sales trajectory and isn't always tied to the number o consoles sold.
A console sold doesn't mean that is sold to a target customer for every franchise a company has. Also the number of consoles sold don't translate in interested buyers or active consumers at all. That's obvious since you can see games selling better on PS5 despite having way less consoles sold than PS4.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
That seems like… not a lot for a late gen sequel to a game that sold over 20 million.

Don’t get me wrong I’m sure it made money and that’s good performance for a game overall, but, yeah. It’d be like if Pokémon came out and said a new main game sold under 10 millions
It sold 20 million across PC and PS4

It took 5 years to get there.

It's not going to get there overnight.

yurinka

In par with Days Gone and GoT, but not in the same god status as God od War.

GoW still an unmatch franchise for Sony.

The PC version of this game will come close enough.
How many PlayStation exclusives sold 8.4M in only a year and a couple of months? Is there any other Sony IP game that achieved that other than GoWR?

Because as I remember all the GoW games other than GoW 2018 and GoWR sold in their entire life less than these 8.4M than this game achieved in barely a year.

Since the franchise sold 32.7M games, means that the first Horizon sold 24.3M units until now. Isn't that the best selling Sony game ever? If not it should be really close.

Excluding GoW 2018 and GoWR, isn't 24.3M or 32.7M more than all the previous GoW games combined or not?

That seems like… not a lot for a late gen sequel to a game that sold over 20 million.
Horizon Zero Dawn = 24.3M in PS+PC during 6 years and a couple months
Horizon Forbidden West = 8.4M in PS only during 1 year and a couple months

In the earlier months they said Forbidden West was the fastest selling game in Guerrilla's history. I'd say it seems that it contues being the case.

Last edited:

Aenima

Does anyone know if sony keep their 1st party games in the ps plus library permanently? or is it a timed period?
They are removing Spider-Man (PS4) this month, maybe to boost the franchise sales with SM 2 coming soon, anyway a sign that they just stay in the service for a certain amount of time, probably depends from title to title.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

The game is great and well done to those who made it on the sales.

Wtf is with the weird hate boner people have on this forum for the game. It's not even founded in anything. Is it really the peach fuzz thing 🤣 Jesus christ grow up people.

You are allowed to not enjoy the game but some of the shit in this thread is embarrassing. Whether it's your type of game or not it's still of high quality. Runs properly and offers a fully engaging lengthy campaign. That's 70% more than what your average game offers in general

Mr.Phoenix

The game is great and well done to those who made it on the sales.

Wtf is with the weird hate boner people have on this forum for the game. It's not even founded in anything. Is it really the peach fuzz thing 🤣 Jesus christ grow up people.

You are allowed to not enjoy the game but some of the shit in this thread is embarrassing. Whether it's your type of game or not it's still of high quality. Runs properly and offers a fully engaging lengthy campaign. That's 70% more than what your average game offers in general
I have been wondering the exact same thing.

Then again, exclusives of any platform tend to bring out certain types... its just more obvious when its happening to most Sony games that are actually really really good.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned

Don’t get me wrong I’m sure it made money and that’s good performance for a game overall, but, yeah. It’d be like if Pokémon came out and said a new main game sold under 10 millions
yeah, that's my impression as well. It did really well, but for a franchise whose first game did around 24 million units, 8.4 million units in 15 months seems... modest.

You also have to consider that this game probably needs 4 or 5 million units sold at full price to just break even. So yeah, did well, but nothing to write home about.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Game never looked appealing to me but I appreciate that its a new IP. Great graphics too.

Top Bottom