• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West has sold over 8.4 million copies since launch

Good game mostly elevated by the outstanding graphics (except for that eternal fog) and some epic fights against the machines. but overall it's less good than the first game where at least the combat (vs machines) was new and interesting.

The game is just too big for its own sake. The first game already had uninteresting exploration and here the world is just bigger and even more boring. 'RPG' systems are way too complex and pointless. There are no rewards whatsover for any exploration, crafting stuff or learning anything about the world or the people.

The problem with the story and its characters is that the whole game is hopelessly woke in every way imaginable. At some point you just can't ignore the propaganda that is pushed by the whole thing reminding me of (very good) chinese movies I have watched that were nonethess 100% propaganda material.

Last edited:

yurinka

Is it just me or these are very low numbers for a title this caliber on two of the most popular consoles of all time??
It's just you.

I may be wrong, but I think all the other PS and Xbox exclusives and first party games ever published sold less than that in this period, with only GoW 2018, GoWR and Spider-Man (maybe also 1 or 2 Sony games more) as exceptions.

On top of that, the first one selling 24.3M seems it's the best selling Sony game (or PS console exclusive) ever.

Last edited:
Lol, at these replies. It's clear people thought the title was serious and were here to make fun of the sales, not realizing they are very good.

Yup.

Glad to hear it sold so well, it's been my favorite game since the PS5 launched.

Hopefully now a lot of the stupid narratives and takes surrounding the game's sales and success will die down

Fake

How many PlayStation exclusives sold 8.4M in only a year and a couple of months? Is there any other Sony IP game that achieved that other than GoWR?

Because as I remember all the GoW games other than GoW 2018 and GoWR sold in their entire life less than these 8.4M than this game achieved in barely a year.

Since the franchise sold 32.7M games, means that the first Horizon sold 24.3M units until now. Isn't that the best selling Sony game ever? If not it should be really close.

Excluding GoW 2018 and GoWR, isn't 24.3M or 32.7M more than all the previous GoW games combined or not?

Horizon Zero Dawn = 24.3M in PS+PC during 6 years and a couple months
Horizon Forbidden West = 8.4M in PS only during 1 year and a couple months

In the earlier months they said Forbidden West was the fastest selling game in Guerrilla's history. I'd say it seems that it contues being the case.

You are putting a lot of information without context. God of War was and always will be the best IP from Sony not matter how fanboys try to spin.
Previous GoW don't have the chance HFW had to sell digitally as every game those days gain from digital store.
Previous GoW games have one single plataform as well (PS2), while HFW have like 3 consoles (PS4, PRO and PS5), and I quite sure Sony will put this game on PC.

I guess GoT and Days Gone did 'OKish', while TLOUS franchise did their numbers as well.

Again, as much we like to see numbers like those, God of War:Ragnarok cost 200m to production. Sony was pretty confident about the sucess of GoW:Ragnarok for saying the total cost. IDK why you guys keep forgeting this. Those games cost tons of money to make, so when I saw companies (ND) afraid of telling what was the total cost of their game show they don't have much confidence yet to compare sales vs cost.

And I not even pointing out discounts, bundles, etc... because those do indeed help to inflate numbers.

IMO Guerrila should move on with maybe a new IP or Killzone revival.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

On par with Last of Us 2 but not remit comparable to Ragnarok which came later and is likely close to 15 mill now
You're looking at this from the wrong angle.

For an IP that was newly established less than 8 years ago and is often rife with controversy (for one reason or another) that's actually pretty damn good that it can even come close to an Established long-time beloved IP like GOW

Kokoloko85

That post was from a duplicate thread (they merged three threads btw), but I sure you notice that.
Also is funny you mention the word 'upset'.
I didnt notice that. Apologises.
Did you get upset though lol :p

Last edited:

[Sigma]

That's great numbers, I figured it had to be at least 8 million. It was at least outpacing the original up til this point. It will not surpass the original in the long run now that it's already on plus though.

Last edited:
yeah, that's my impression as well. It did really well, but for a franchise whose first game did around 24 million units, 8.4 million units in 15 months seems... modest.

You also have to consider that this game probably needs 4 or 5 million units sold at full price to just break even. So yeah, did well, but nothing to write home about.

Right? I'm not trying to start something here, obviously it's a very solid performance when compared to games overall, but you can't tell me it's a result Sony would be super excited about.

Like if next summer we heard Tears of the Kingdom sold 8M copies (same pace as BOTW) that would be very underwhelming performance too. And don't go on and on about oh Zelda is a huge legacy franchise of course it will do mega numbers, Horizon 1 outsold every Zelda game other than BOTW by a huge margin.

Foilz

Banned
Gorgeously boring game. Being this game was bundled with the PS5 I use assume those are included in this figure also??

Vroadstar

Dj Khaled Ox GIF

Nautilus

Banned
Right? I'm not trying to start something here, obviously it's a very solid performance when compared to games overall, but you can't tell me it's a result Sony would be super excited about.

Like if next summer we heard Tears of the Kingdom sold 8M copies (same pace as BOTW) that would be very underwhelming performance too. And don't go on and on about oh Zelda is a huge legacy franchise of course it will do mega numbers, Horizon 1 outsold every Zelda game other than BOTW by a huge margin.
Exactly. People forget that companies don't want to only break even or have an ok profit, they want to laugh all the way to the bank.

And that's especially tru for Sony titles, whose budgets now hover around the 200 million mark (!!!!!). They want to make 5x times that number, at least, to justify the risk. Not just double it.

You are putting a lot of information without context. God of War was and always will be the best IP from Sony not matter how fanboys try to spin.
Previous GoW don't have the chance HFW had to sell digitally as every game those days gain from digital store.
Previous GoW games have one single plataform as well (PS2), while HFW have like 3 consoles (PS4, PRO and PS5), and I quite sure Sony will put this game on PC.

I guess GoT and Days Gone did 'OKish', while TLOUS franchise did their numbers as well.

Again, as much we like to see numbers like those, God of War:Ragnarok cost 200m to production. Sony was pretty confident about the sucess of GoW:Ragnarok for saying the total cost. IDK why you guys keep forgeting this. Those games cost tons of money to make, so when I saw companies (ND) afraid of telling what was the total cost of their game show they don't have much confidence yet to compare sales vs cost.

And I not even pointing out discounts, bundles, etc... because those do indeed help to inflate numbers.

That's some serious selective history. God of war became the biggest ip with 2018. Uncharted, last of us and gran turismo were bigger before that.

These numbers from Horizon are crazy for a new IP. Only the last of us may have got to these numbers quicker and that's up for debate.

A new IP might be worth doing but going back to killzone after this would be madness.

That seems like… not a lot for a late gen sequel to a game that sold over 20 million.

Don’t get me wrong I’m sure it made money and that’s good performance for a game overall, but, yeah. It’d be like if Pokémon came out and said a new main game sold under 10 millions

Yeah but how many of those 20+ million were bundles and cheap copies long after the game came out? I myself bought four copies. Two in bundles as gifts, one day one on release, and another like two years later because I lost my disc and the complete edition was readily available for $13 at Walmart. Remember when people were comparing its early sales to Zelda? A year or so later the complete version of HZD is less than $15 and base Zelda is still selling better at $60 😆

Oh I forgot another reason to sequel might end up lower, it’s on the higher tier of PS+. That’s how I played it. I wanted the HFW bundle since I couldn’t find a non-bundle PS5 and I have no interest in Ragnorok, but GoW bundle is all I could find. I was super close to ordering a physical copy of FW but then I saw it was on the service.

Anyway I hope it exceeds whatever their sales projections are, I got the plat and the story needs to be concluded.

gow3isben

You're looking at this from the wrong angle.

For an IP that was newly established less than 8 years ago and is often rife with controversy (for one reason or another) that's actually pretty damn good that it can even come close to an Established long-time beloved IP like GOW

Overall good sales not incredible but good

DrFigs

Yeah but how many of those 20+ million were bundles and cheap copies long after the game came out? I myself bought four copies. Two in bundles as gifts, one day one on release, and another like two years later because I lost my disc and the complete edition was readily available for $13 at Walmart. Remember when people were comparing its early sales to Zelda? A year or so later the complete version of HZD is less than $15 and base Zelda is still selling better at $60 😆

Oh I forgot another reason to sequel might end up lower, it’s on the higher tier of PS+. That’s how I played it. I wanted the HFW bundle since I couldn’t find a non-bundle PS5 and I have no interest in Ragnorok, but GoW bundle is all I could find. I was super close to ordering a physical copy of FW but then I saw it was on the service.

Anyway I hope it exceeds whatever their sales projections are, I got the plat and the story needs to be concluded.
The fact of the matter is that Horizon is a bad series. The fact that it is selling so well, is noteworthy. Even if a lot of those are at a discount.

yurinka

No, it's the context of the best selling Sony games. I'd like to know if there is a GoW previous to GoW 2018 that sold something remotely close to the 24.3M units sold by Horizon Zero Dawn because as far as I know it isn't the case.

And Horizon Forbidden West seems to be selling at a similar if not faster speed than Horizon Zero Dawn.

As far as I remember GoW, GoW2, Ghost of Sparta and Chain of Olympus had remasters and collections.

A year and a month after release TLOU had sold 7M + an extra million from its remaster, a total of 8M. Forbidden West sold 8.4M in a year and two months. GoT sold 9.73M two years after release.

According to a codirector and a website that made pretty good estimates according to what he saw when he was at Sony, Days Gone sold 8M a year and a half after release. According to the annoncement of the Days Gone movie (3 years and 4 months after release) the game had sold 9M.

Again, as much we like to see numbers like those, God of War:Ragnarok cost 200m to production.
We don't know how much did it cost. This was what apparently what a journalist estimated and wrote in an article about an interview with Shuhei Yoshida.

Sony was pretty confident about the sucess of GoW:Ragnarok for saying the total cost.
Ragnarok is the fastest selling Sony exclusive ever with 11M units sold in 3 months. Not sure if Spider-Man or Horizon Zero Dawn is the best selling Sony game ever, but Ragnarok seems on track to outsell both.

As of now HZD is Sony's best selling game ever or the second. HFW is selling at aprox. the same speed or faster. Guerrilla won't move on, it would be a stupid move on Sony's side. It's like to ask Nintendo to stop making Mario games or to ask MS to stop making Forza games.

To make something else in addition to more Horizon games, like a new IP or a new Killzone? Yes, it would be nice.

Fake

That's some serious selective history. God of war became the biggest ip with 2018. Uncharted, last of us and gran turismo were bigger before that.

These numbers from Horizon are crazy for a new IP. Only the last of us may have got to these numbers quicker and that's up for debate.

A new IP might be worth doing but going back to killzone after this would be madness.

God of War was always their greater IP dude. Comparing PS2 vs PS2 games, not PS2 era sales vs GoW 2018 sales.

And back in day HZD was a new IP. And is not like they can't do others projects. They did VR.

Last edited:
God of War was always their greater IP dude. Comparing PS2 vs PS2 games, not PS2 era sales vs GoW 2018 sales.

And back in day HZD was a new IP. And is not like they can't do others projects. They did VR.
No it wasn't gran turismo was. Why are we pretending the ps3 era doesn't exist?

Uncharted and The Last of Us were bigger in the ps3 era at the end.

So zero dawn is at 24m? So much for being over shadowed by zelda. Sold almost the same amount and it was a new ip. How many new ip can sell almost 25m copies?

Last edited:

SeraphJan

So does the game perform better or worse than the first game (given same amount of time)?

Last edited:
Top Bottom