• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West has the worst intro/tutorial since Zelda Twilight Princess

SpokkX

Anyone remember that intro to Twilight Princess? You know hours of herding and finding stuff in the village?

Well Horizon Forbidden West is even worse and has 6-8 HOURS of crap to wade thrrough before the actual game begins (and you arrive in the actual "Forbidden West")

6 hours of linear, boring, chatty (omfg the chatter) doing chores/tutorials. Oh and SOCIALIZING with Aloys hip and cool friends - easily the worst part.

After 6 hours the game actually opens up and "begins" - the story even has a nice starting point here. It feels like the other 6 hours were tacked on afterwards to "onboard" new players

I was about to give up - it was a real pain to play until it starts "for real"

Now - I really hope the intro is not an indication for the rest of the game

ZehDon

Reigning champ for me is still DOOM: Eternal, which felt the need to literally pause the game to tell the player - after they're teleported to a special tutorial room - how to punch. H:FW looks seems about on par for modern cinematic games for what I've seen and heard.

Robb

Gold Member
I haven’t played Forbidden West but I didn’t think the intro to TP was bad. The most tiresome thing early on in TP was gathering the tears of light/killing those annoying little light bugs imo.

Doom85

I never played Skyward Sword but isn’t that one supposed to be the one with the unbearable tutorial early game stuff? I don’t remember finding the early parts of Twilight Princess that much of an issue.

Bragr

Banned
The first hour with Varl was bad, but The Gaunt part I thought was good. There is enough freedom there to explore.

Markio128

Seth Meyers It Is Fine GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Vick

Gold Member
Yeah, heard on GAF this game is absolute trash. Awful controls, no agency in combat, no freedom in what to do and little interaction with the environments. It also has trash characters, all hundreds of them.

Recently bought an homonym game and found it to be close to a colossal masterpiece, 10/10 kind of game, and enjoyed every single minute of the 200 hours playthrough.. but this one, avoid like plague.

trust-me-declan-donnelly.gif

Last edited:
Personally, I loved the opening hours of Horizon: Forbidden West and 75 hours on, I am still very much enjoying this excellent game, having spent many hours doing the majority of the side-quests and extra missions, while avoiding moving through the main story too quickly.

Is it perfect? No but then no game is. However, it has been hugely entertaining and one of the gaming highlights of 2022 so far for me.

Ceadeus

I havn't played Horizon yet but Twilight princess first town was memorable and charming. Every house and character have a purpose and is really well designed.

It's been a long time but I remember enjoying twilight princess. It eases you into the world. I don't mind a slow start. What's the rush?

Last edited:

Belthazar

I only counted the first hour or so with Varl as tutorial, the Gaunt was a pretty engaging part of the world that was also used to get the player up to speed in what was happening in the world.

ClosBSAS

Oh god, flashback of twilight princess tutorial. So fucking bad. My god, I never even played the game until Wii version cause of that stupid ass tutorial

Xeaker

I checked some random TP walktrough and it took the guy 2 hours until he got cured from his wolf form.

ahtlas7

The problem is the forgettable uncharismatic characters and abysmal line delivery. Allow me one suggestion, change the language to French with English (native language) sub.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Twilight princess's problem was not the intro, was the wolf shit finding the bugs. The intro actually was nice to set the mood of the game and meet the characters.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
don't care about HFW but i don't see the issue with TP's intro. it's been so long since i've played it though

Rockman33

Anyone remember that intro to Twilight Princess? You know hours of herding and finding stuff in the village?

Well Horizon Forbidden West is even worse and has 6-8 HOURS of crap to wade thrrough before the actual game begins (and you arrive in the actual "Forbidden West")

6 hours of linear, boring, chatty (omfg the chatter) doing chores/tutorials. Oh and SOCIALIZING with Aloys hip and cool friends - easily the worst part.

After 6 hours the game actually opens up and "begins" - the story even has a nice starting point here. It feels like the other 6 hours were tacked on afterwards to "onboard" new players

Actually good to hear. I haven’t been able to play more than 30-60 minutes at a time because I find it so boring. Sounds like I’m still in “that part though”.

kyliethicc

Took me about an hour to get to the opening credits and arrive in the guant.

Idk wtf you're talking about.

Roxkis_ii

Man, is it shit on Horizon day or something?? Seems like everyone who has a problem with the game has posted recently.

Tutorial section seems fine to me. Not even notable really except for Varl.

If the games not grabbing you, it's okay to drop it. Just because people enjoy something you don't, doesn't say anything about you, or the people who like the game. It's just not your taste, and that is fine.

Life is too short to force yourself to play a video game. Especially to keep up with the Jones.

Last edited:

RCU005

Oh, I see you haven’t played Dragon Quest XI. That game takes like 15 hours to really begin.

Forbidden West has no issue making you feel like the game hasn’t started. It’s fine.

The biggest issue with the game is that they focused more on elemental combat as if you were catching Pokémon, instead of having these rudimentary but advanced technology to hunt them.

This time, beating a robot it’s just a matter of spamming its elemental weakness and it will get destroyed very easily. That’s what’s terrible I’m the game, not the intro!

fart town usa

Gold Member
Man, is it shit on Horizon day or something?? Seems like everyone who has a problem with the game has posted recently.

Tutorial section seems fine to me. Not even notable really except for Varl.

If the games not grabbing you, it's okay to drop it. Just because people enjoy something you don't doesn't say a nothing about you, or the people who like the game. It's just not your taste, and that is fine.

Life is too short to force yourself to play a video game. Especially to keep up with the Jones.
100% this. I haven't played either Horizon game cause they don't really appeal to me. I certainly don't think they're shit though.

OT, I love the intro to Twilight Princess. Really sets up the vibe of Ordon Village and it's not that long. It's just a narrative heavy section of the game. TP is like 60+ hours long, having a bit of time in the beginning for narrative is fine with me.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

6-8 hours?

It's obvious that some posters on here have an agenda. You have to resort to lying just to make a rant post for attention. This is ridiculous. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ZoukGalaxy

Well, to begin, Zelda TP intro was not bad, so even if you are right (you're not) for HFW, this is basically:
Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN
season 13 GIF

If it's a chore, don't play it and move on, it's part of game style ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

SegaShack

Twilight Princesses intro was unbearable.

Haven't played Horizon but I tried Pokemon Arceus and after an hour and a half of tutorials sold the game and got no further.

What a waste of time.

SegaShack

Well, to begin, Zelda TP intro was not bad, so even if you are right (you're not) for HFW, this is basically:
Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN
season 13 GIF

If it's a chore, don't play it and move on ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
How is the intro great, you have to aimlessly wander around a town figuring out what to do next and talk to every character.

Then you fetch honey, and get a baby cradle from monkeys, then you have to heard goats. It's the most drawn out intro in a Zelda game.

What? I haven’t played the game but a 6-8 intro seems excruciating

It's not 8 hours. The linear intro he's talking about is less than 2h and the other area before the west opens is open and you are basically free to approach and play it as you like with the exception of course that the west is being locked for story reasons. It's exactly like that first area in Witcher 3. Don't listen to his insane ramblings.

NinjaBoiX

What a stupid thing to complain about.
What, having to play a really boring tutorial for 6 hours? That is a long time for an open world game to properly open up to be fair.

(I have no idea if it’s actually that long or actually that dull, I’ve never played it.)

It's not 8 hours. The linear intro he's talking about is less than 2h and the other area before the west opens is open and you are basically free to approach and play it as you like with the exception of course that the west is being locked for story reasons. It's exactly like that first area in Witcher 3. Don't listen to his insane ramblings.
Oh…

Last edited:
Top Bottom