• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West has won a grand total of ZERO GOTY awards. What happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Since the GOTY tracker website owner decided not to upgrade the tallies this year, era has been tracking GOTY awards. Elden Ring currently leads with 145 awards followed by GOW at 26. Some indie games have won 3-4 awards, but HFW is a curious absence. You can find the tally by following the link from this article.

Not a single GOTY award was given to this game. Even Plague's Tale and TLOU Part 1 won 1 GOTY award each. It's predecessor launched the same year Zelda BOTW won 264 awards, but HZD was second with 69. Note that half of these awards were User GOTYs so It was a much loved series by gamers. In the end, it might end up winning an award or two, but it begs the question what the fuck happened?

The game looks marvelous. Has an 89 metacritic. People raved about the side quests. I personally thought they were mediocre. The only improvement was that they added more context to each quest but in the end you were doing the same thing. Some had complained about the story not being as memorable, but I thought the story was actually really interesting and had several great twists. But the biggest complaints I've seen are combat related. They nerfed Aloy while making enemies much more aggressive ruining the very delicate balance between challenging and fun.

Still, Im surprised that it won no awards. From anyone. It's almost impressive how forgettable you have to be to win a grand total of zero GOTYs. Even Days Gone won two GOTYs and it scored a 70 on metacritic. Halo Infinite gets a lot of shit on this board but even that game won 26 awards.

What were your issues with the game? Why do you think it didnt win any GOTYs? I think the needless tinkering with the combat and sameyness held the game back. Visual upgrade alone didnt save the game so maybe some next gen physics and AI upgrades might have kept it from feeling so mediocre. The ending battle between hundreds of alien robots and dinobots being a cutscene was really disappointing.

Markio128

It got Elden Ring’d and Ragnacock’d.
Check This Out GIF

Rockman33

It’s overall just not that fun to play.

The thing that bothered me the most was how poor the visual language of the game was. In screenshots the game looked absolutely wonderful. But once you actually play everything is so crowded and it’s rarely clear where you need to go.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It’s an underwhelming sequel. It isn’t bad, but it doesn’t move the game forward, and takes steps back in some ways like Aloy as a main character. The only thing that is really outstanding about it is the graphics.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
If the story was anything like as dull, stilted and cliched as the first game... then i guess there's your reason, right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom