• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West - New patch introducing Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), High Refresh Rate (HFR) and our new "Balanced" Graphics Mode supporting 40

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Brand new Sony a80k that works fine on spiderman and ratchet and clank at 120hz/40hz, this patch keeps blanking out and booting me out to the home screen. Thanks gorilla for the months late beta test. At least I could play it before......
Maybe I'll try a full reinstall tommorow.....

Last edited:

mxbison

Damn, didn't expect this so soon after the last patch so I started Miles Morales.

Looking forward to this.

Filben

And the devs wonder why people hold off on buying these games at launch. It's because they're half baked, missing tons of features and buggy.

Everyone praises Guerrilla for working so hard on the game and giving us plenty of updates, but this game was JUST FINALLY made to look good at 60fps and new game + was just added as well, and now VRR (yes I know PS5 didn't have VRR when HFW launched, but still).

Why does Guerrilla get a free pass when other devs are ridiculed for fixing their game after the fact? Everything should be well fleshed out before the game comes out, including how it looks and runs. Even Guardians of the Galaxy launched without a Ray Tracing mode, so the people who played it early got a sub-par experience and they're not likely to want to go back and re-play it again so soon just because there are some reflections now.

I'm tired of this crap and I'm tired of letting them do it to us.

I'm not buying any game brand new anymore. I'll wait and get it used after some other moron plays it early with all the missing features and graphical effects.
You're right to good extent and yet some people still need more reasons not to buy day one or stop pre-ordering? Maybe those complaining and those pre-ordering aren't the same because it would be just hilarious.

As someone playing Forbidden West right now I often asked myself how it must have been at release and how people who already done with this game would feel about these improvements. Then I thought how I would feel and it just confirms my habit to not buy day one because you're missing out on features, fixes, sometimes even content and you're paying the highest price (and some things can't be retroactively improve my experience... when I'm done with the game I don't reboot it just for 120Hz... I would have wanted that at the start... this one's on Sony though for their ridiculously late implementation of VRR).

It can't be stressed enough that you will always buy an inferior product in this media genre (which is kind of unique, if you think about it).

Chaplain

How do you enable the 40fps mode? I went to the graphics settings and only two motions are available (balance is missing).

Mr Moose

How do you enable the 40fps mode? I went to the graphics settings and only two motions are available (balance is missing).
Do you have a 120Hz screen? Not sure if it also needs VRR for the 40fps mode.
Make sure the game is up to date and go to Settings / Visual then Graphics Mode should have a Balanced option (and Favor Resolution / Performance).

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So people saying this is best looking next gen game, better than ratchet?

It’s cross gen even.
ratchet does some things better but overall when compared using the open world levels in ratchet, horizon is clearly better looking.

Unfortunately, Insomniac wasted a lot of GPU chasing native 4k and ended up with a game that runs at native 4k 50 fps on average. Had they targeted 1440p 30 fps like the UE5 demo, they wouldve easily topped HFW and every other game out there. Maybe even the UE5 demo.

HFW being the best looking game on next gen consoles despite being a last gen game is not something to be celebrated. It's actually a knock against Sony's first party efforts this gen as well as all the other next gen only games Sony bought as next gen exclusives. Ghostwire tokyo, deathloop, godfall, ratchet, returnal and demon souls simply should not look worse or even on par with HFW which is being held back by a 1.84 tflops GPU and a 1.6 GHz Jaguar CPU.

Let's hope HFW shames some of these devs into upgrading the visuals in their next games.

Nah. 40fps>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>performance mode in all games I played until now. 60fps is not worth the graphical trade-offs at all.

I agree with you for this game because the 60 fps(+) Performance mode definitely has a lot more noticeable pop in than the Resolution or new Balanced modes. This was always obvious while running around but it especially obvious when riding or flying at speed. 40 fps strikes a perfect balance, in my opinion, between graphical fidelity and a smooth framerate.

Mr Moose

340HorizonForbiddenWest.jpg

d8HorizonForbiddenWest.jpg

b9aHorizonForbiddenWest.jpg

You're right to good extent and yet some people still need more reasons not to buy day one or stop pre-ordering? Maybe those complaining and those pre-ordering aren't the same because it would be just hilarious.

As someone playing Forbidden West right now I often asked myself how it must have been at release and how people who already done with this game would feel about these improvements. Then I thought how I would feel and it just confirms my habit to not buy day one because you're missing out on features, fixes, sometimes even content and you're paying the highest price (and some things can't be retroactively improve my experience... when I'm done with the game I don't reboot it just for 120Hz... I would have wanted that at the start... this one's on Sony though for their ridiculously late implementation of VRR).

It can't be stressed enough that you will always buy an inferior product in this media genre (which is kind of unique, if you think about it).
RE:Village did it right. Day one update and then DONE.

Chaplain

Do you have a 120Hz screen? Not sure if it also needs VRR for the 40fps mode.
Make sure the game is up to date and go to Settings / Visual then Graphics Mode should have a Balanced option (and Favor Resolution / Performance).

No 120Hz screen, but I do have VRR. I have VRR disabled due to the amount of lag it causes. Is this why the Balanced option wasn't available?

edited

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
ratchet does some things better but overall when compared using the open world levels in ratchet, horizon is clearly better looking.

The lighting, LOD system, and materials in rift apart are all a league ahead of horizon. I feel like you ding ratchet's artistic choice of not being a photorealistic game when it's not supposed to be.

So if I am not mistaken, we now have 5 different modes:

- 30 fps (same as before)
- 40 fps (balanced option - NEW - Requires 120hz output)
- 60 fps capped (same as patch 1.16)
- 60 fps capped + VRR (NEW)
- Uncapped (NEW - 120hz output AND VRR required)

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Favor resolution, balanced (40fps/120Hz) and favor performance (60+ with VRR).

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.

There’s no 60fps capped and vrr

NeonGhost

Are we sure about this? I read about a 60 fps capped + VRR mode somewhere....

I will try disabling 120hz output and keeping VRR on
Ok yeah didnt think about that. I don’t see a reason why you would need to do that though

Ok yeah didnt think about that. I don’t see a reason why you would need to do that though

Just tried: I disabled both the 120hz output and "VRR on unsupported games" toggles on the system setting...

The game outputs VRR automatically with 60hz CAP... :)

So yeah, we have 5 different modes

Last edited:

NeonGhost

Just tried: I disabled both the 120hz output and "VRR on unsupported games" toggles on the system setting...

The game outputs VRR automatically with 60hz CAP... :)

So yeah, we have 5 different modes
Is there any visual benefits to doing this

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
looks like the rest of sonys first party will be integrating 40fps modes into their lineup
More options is better for everyone, not sure about this 40fps thing though or if it's a decent compromise
50fps is my bare minimum

I guess the dynamic resolution range gets higher with 60hz+VRR mode compared to standard 60hz or 120 fps performance modes

But it's difficult to see for sure...

From the patch notes:

NEW FEATURES (PlayStation 5)

• Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) and High Refresh Rate (HFR) support
    • VRR improves dynamic resolution scaling on 60Hz
    • VRR & HFR targets a refresh rate between 60Hz and 120Hz

Fantastic 40 hz unlocked with vrr should be a normal option going forward with games, can frequently get above 40 fps and a hell of a lot better picture than most 60 fps modes

Rea

It seems all modes has VRR, when I set VRR automatic in system settings. When 120hz mode also set to automatic then performance mode is uncapped.

Rayderism

So basically, you have a total of 5 modes (technically only 4), but it depends on whether you have a VRR TV or not:

Non VRR TV's: 2 modes- resolution(30fps) and performance(60fps).

VRR TV's: 3 modes - resolution(30fps), balanced(40fps), performance(up to 120fps, though rarely goes above ~80fps).

That's my understanding anyway.

I already played through this game on a non-VRR TV on resolution, because, at the time, performance mode looked terrible, but if I were to play it again, I'd go with performance (VRR) now that they basically fixed it and the differences are negligible....and because I now have a VRR TV.

It seems all modes has VRR, when I set VRR automatic in system settings. When 120hz mode also set to automatic then performance mode is uncapped.

Exactly, the only mode missing is the 40 fps "uncapped"...

But probably they thought it would have been redundant: If you want more than 40 fps, you have the performance mode that is uncapped anyway

So basically, you have a total of 5 modes (technically only 4), but it depends on whether you have a VRR TV or not:

Non VRR TV's: 2 modes- resolution(30fps) and performance(60fps).

VRR TV's: 3 modes - resolution(30fps), balanced(40fps), performance(up to 120fps, though rarely goes above ~80fps).

That's my understanding anyway.

I already played through this game on a non-VRR TV on resolution, because, at the time, performance mode looked terrible, but if I were to play it again, I'd go with performance (VRR) now that they basically fixed it and the differences are negligible....and because I now have a VRR TV.

There is also a 60 fps + VRR mode like I explained above

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Started a new game, the auto boot after 16 seconds disappeared, must have been some weird glitch. Game looks amazing.

Kerotan

Yes, of course. If your TV doesn't support 4K at 120 Hz but it does support 1440p/1080p at 120 Hz you can play at 1080p@120fps. No problem. I don't think it's worth the hit, but the option is there.

Sorry, that's not true. 60 fps was and still is the standard for 2D games, but ever since the 3D arrived 60 fps has never been the standard. In fact most games ran terribly and well bellow 30 fps. On PSX there are 110 games out of 4.105 that targeted 60 fps (and even fewer hit that target). On N64 it was even worse and only 9 titles that I know of (out of almost 400) targeted 60 fps, but most games ran very poorly, things like 10 or 15 fps were quite common. . On the next gen things were better but still far from 60 fps as standar. A few great looking games were 60 fps (Devil May Cry, Metroid, MGS2) but most targeted 30 fps: Metal Gear Solid 3, GTA series, Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda (both) , Halo 1 and 2, Final Fantasy X, XI and XII, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Resident Evil (all of them), Silent Hill (all of them again), Okami, Dragon Quest, Persona saga, Princesa of Persia, both Pikmin, ... you name it. Contrary to popular belief things looked up in the next couple of generations, we just started caring about 60 fps. This is the first gen where most games are 60 fps. Almost every game, in fact. Something we hadn't ever seen in any previous generation.
So on the past every game will be 69fps and a lot more games will be 120fps or at least unlocked Frame rates with VRR .

SkylineRKR

I tried 40fps for the first time in the Horizon 5 hour trial and it feels good. Closer to 60 than 30, in fact. If you want all bells and whistles in tact this is a mode you shouldn't sleep on. Ofcourse 60 is always better but you will lose some.

Top Bottom