• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West - New Playstation Blog - (Re)building the awe-inspiring machines of

Yeah, at the time Horizon had the best third person shooter combat in an open world game.

But since then Days Gone, TLOU2, Mass Effect Andromeda and Anthem have all had equally great third person shooter combat. GoT is not a shooter but its another Sony open world game that took the tight and polished combat systems of linear games and applied them in an open world game. We had gone almost a decade of serviceable to straight up bad combat until Horizon launched in 2017. Year after year of AC, Bethesda, GTA, and Far Cry games with just mind numbingly boring combat.

A lot of people dismiss sony open world games as samey walking simulators but i mostly play them for the combat. Saw this gif today in my feed just today. Absolutely incredible.

I can't comment on anthem or Andromeda( haven't played them)but honestly it's games like Days gone and the Last of us that I stuggle to get excited for after the Horizon.

I will say this for the last of us 2 it's about as good as this type of game can get. It's got really good level design, great weapon feedback, really fluid intutive controls,good enemy ai etc, etc.

BUT I ve seen this shit way too many times before. I still pulling off head shots, still sneaking behind guards for one hit kills, still waiting for guards to peak behind cover, still using the same old guns. I just can't get excited for this anymore not matter how polished.

They did very little with the infected as well which is really disappointing considering how iconic the clickers have become. They could have gone nuts but chose not to.

As for days gone I bounced off that hard( I didn't get far) it just felt like a less polished last of us. The horde was interesting although I only fought one with my time with the game.They should have pushed that mechanic far harder early on. Maybe it got better later

Compare this to Horizons crazy enemy and weapon variety and the unique ways you can interact and engage with them and its no contest.

I can't comment on anthem or Andromeda( haven't played them)but honestly it's games like Days gone and the Last of us that I stuggle to get excited for after the Horizon.

I will say this for the last of us 2 it's about as good as this type of game can get. It's got really good level design, great weapon feedback, really fluid intutive controls,good enemy ai etc, etc.

BUT I ve seen this shit way too many times before. I still pulling off head shots, still sneaking behind guards for one hit kills, still waiting for guards to peak behind cover, still using the same old guns. I just can't get excited for this anymore not matter how polished.

They did very little with the infected as well which is really disappointing considering how iconic the clickers have become. They could have gone nuts but chose not to.

As for days gone I bounced off that hard( I didn't get far) it just felt like a less polished last of us. The horde was interesting although I only fought one with my time with the game.They should have pushed that mechanic far harder early on. Maybe it got better later

Compare this to Horizons crazy enemy and weapon variety and the unique ways you can interact and engage with them and its no contest.

I think the only reason I’m excited for Factions 2 is because I think the mechanics and shooting of TLOU2 was so good but felt underutilized. I can’t wait to see how the gameplay shines with human players and better infected.

Last edited:
Top Bottom