• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West - New Playstation Blog - (Re)building the awe-inspiring machines of

sncvsrtoip

the original trailer showed a lot of different locations. I would like to see more of those biomes. That last shot of her going through the dense foliage. I need to see if thats real or not. I want to see if those seagulls would actually dive into the water to catch fish and other dynamic elements the trailer hinted at. The desert biome looked stunning and so did the weather effects.

I would also like to see what their new cities and settlements look like. Lets face it, Meridian was a disappointment. I want living breathing cities like those found in AC Origins.

It was a joke :d

Topher

Gold Member
looks boring and kind of ugly, especially if you compare it to RDR 2

PQ8lTUI.gif

We have different definitions of boring, but to each their own.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

looks boring and kind of ugly, especially if you compare it to RDR 2

PQ8lTUI.gif
I have been playing RDR2 these days for the first time, and while I agree the game looks gorgeous and the world is absolutely phenomenal, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Horizon is not suppose to look too realistic, that's why their art direction uses way more vibrant colors for example.

Also, this segment in the gif is from a tall hill showing a really large area of the game, and the gameplay segments from Horizon, until now, are mostly in this beach area. I'm sure it will feature some nice landscapes too, since the first game had some beautiful environment!

sendit

Just like the PC release of the 1st game. Aiming is going to be sweet with a keyboard and mouse.

kevm3

The lighting in this game is kinda off looking,idk why. Just seems very unnatural for some reason which is weird because I've never seen them mess up the lighting.

I think it's because the game has an almost bloom-lighting type of look where the sand looks like it's glowing and the fact that the characters are 'realistic', but the colors are ultra saturated and more suitable for a cartoonish character like ratchet and clank.

I mean thats literally their only job lmao. What do you want them to do? Hype Forza?
🙏 Phil 🙏 himself praised Dad of War I believe!

Jim has to come out and praise Forza Horizon 5, Flight Simulator and even Halo Infinite's graphics and "fun"!

Back to the topic, I need to finish the first one already... playing this on PS5 has been pretty interesting (compared to 30fps on PS4 and studder on PC)... I'm too tired with the kids and all lately.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I have no doubt the game is going to be gorgeous, but there are two main things I still haven’t gotten an answer to by the devs:
1.) Will Aloy have an actual personality this time? Or will she continue to be a bland, forgettable character?
2.) Will the world have more interactivity, or will it continue to be like a terrarium. Beautiful to look at, but not much to do?

ParaSeoul

I think it's because the game has an almost bloom-lighting type of look where the sand looks like it's glowing and the fact that the characters are 'realistic', but the colors are ultra saturated and more suitable for a cartoonish character like ratchet and clank.
Think this sums it up well.

ParaSeoul

I have no doubt the game is going to be gorgeous, but there are two main things I still haven’t gotten an answer to by the devs:
1.) Will Aloy have an actual personality this time? Or will she continue to be a bland, forgettable character?
2.) Will the world have more interactivity, or will it continue to be like a terrarium. Beautiful to look at, but not much to do?
1.) Most likely.
2.) Hopefully,but since this started as a PS4 game I'm not sure. Guerilla aren't known for this.

It’s computationally taxing to place non-static items in worlds. I dont think GG is going for a sandbox feel.

Rather something more guided with a splash of “open world” choice

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It’s computationally taxing to place non-static items in worlds. I dont think GG is going for a sandbox feel.

Rather something more guided with a splash of “open world” choice

Yep, which I am fine with. I mean more that if you move through grass, it will disturb some animals nearby. If you see a seagull, can you shit it down? If you walk through thick foliage, can sticks break? That sort of thing.

Yep, which I am fine with. I mean more that if you move through grass, it will disturb some animals nearby. If you see a seagull, can you shit it down? If you walk through thick foliage, can sticks break? That sort of thing.
Oh I see what you mean, kind of have more elements that lend themselves to immersion. Yes I agree , it would be awesome to have more of that.

At the end of the day it just comes down to what their priorities are , budget, time ect. It costs man hours to build and try to implement those sorts of things especially if an engine doesn't already support features like those.
That said, thats why they tend to focus more on things like presentation because they understand how consumers think, if a game looks good its more immediately impactful than physics interactions.

I hope this drabble makes some kind of sense.

scalman

this game means first part allways looked rly best of all games there is on PS4, even better then god of war i would say as that one is not true open world. even on ps4 pro with supersampling on 1080p its just looks superb crisp with superb AA from supersampling.

I want to be excited for this game...but in the same way I have MCU fatigue I have open world third party fatigue...looks like the first game which got boring around 20 hours...I wish this was a full on rpg or monster hunter type game where each encounter is a puzzle.

sircaw

Banned
RDR2 capped at 30fps always made it feel slightly sluggish. Horizon Forbidden West at 60fps will look and feel so much better to control than RDR2. I'm hoping they stop with the blog posts and gives us another trailer or breakdown, something better than gifs
You and me two, there must be dozens of fantastic locations in the game, it would be nice to see something a little bit different in terms of zones and gameplay but like all good things, we seemingly will have to wait.

but rest assured it will be worth it :messenger_grinning:

GymWolf

Remember that this game has to run on a jaguar so i don't expect more destruction compared to the first game (rocks, plants and trees in the open world, bigger stuff in the more linear story missions like wood houses and metal structures).

Don't expect much more than this during normal open world gameplay.

5pX95Gr.gif

dhhxTbg.gif

lflc6tA.gif

loDBbHu.gif

st4UVJR.gif

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Willing to pay day 1 price for this one. I only hope they can improve melee combat which wasn’t really viable in the first game.

It looks super stylized to me. It seems deliberate.

It’s supposed to be that way along with the bright colors. HZD never aimed for photorealism.

It’s more hyperrealism. I like the way the game looks. Something different from the usual games that try to make everything match the real world.

Took the words out of my mouth. The directors of this game were never aiming for photorealism, I also don't think it's something developers should not chase but this depends on the nature of the game it self. Photorealism can easily look boring and normal but this is just my opinion. Games are often seen as an escape from the real world which is why directors and producers of most games go for such styles...we see enough photorealism with our eyes...but I'm getting too philosophical here so I'll stop.

I would add that instead of "hyperrealism" I would say the game has a more "exaggerated art style and direction" and animation, which I find really beautiful and I'm sure many others do, however it not always going to be everyones cup of tea. Just a matter of different tastes I guess.

EDIT: Apologies made some typing errors because I was really tired, fixed now.

Last edited:

Elios83

No doubt it's going to be amazing, a new trailer in December is a strong possibility given the release date is fast approaching.

Last edited:

skit_data

It looks so good. It’s gonna be hard to play Elden Ring instead of Horizon FW that month. Fuck it’s too much. Elden Ring, Horizon FW and GT7. One has gotta wait for later and I’m afraid it will have to be Horizon FW.

Also, to all people complaining about them not showing more of the map; there was a fucking 5 hour stream of the different parts of the map showing all kinds of biomes during different times of the day. Here you go, enjoy:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Oh I see what you mean, kind of have more elements that lend themselves to immersion. Yes I agree , it would be awesome to have more of that.

At the end of the day it just comes down to what their priorities are , budget, time ect. It costs man hours to build and try to implement those sorts of things especially if an engine doesn't already support features like those.
That said, thats why they tend to focus more on things like presentation because they understand how consumers think, if a game looks good its more immediately impactful than physics interactions.

I hope this drabble makes some kind of sense.

Understandable, but it puts me out of hte experience a bit. The only time you really got to see the environment get messed up was when you were fighting some of the larger enemies. But you yourself could barely interact or move anything in the world. I am sure the game will be a great time, but those were my two biggest problems with the original title.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Remember that this game has to run on a jaguar so i don't expect more destruction compared to the first game (rocks, plants and trees in the open world, bigger stuff in the more linear story missions like wood houses and metal structures).

Don't expect much more than this during normal open world gameplay.

5pX95Gr.gif

dhhxTbg.gif

lflc6tA.gif

loDBbHu.gif

st4UVJR.gif

Yea, the enemies were really the only way you could feasibly interact with the world outside of the general “grass moves as you move through it:”. Which is kinda disappointing as I would love to see more interactivity. The game‘s world just felt a bit too distant for my liking to really immerse myself into it.

But anyways as I said before, i am sure the game will still be great fun. Just two minor nitpicks from the initial release.

GymWolf

Yea, the enemies were really the only way you could feasibly interact with the world outside of the general “grass moves as you move through it:”. Which is kinda disappointing as I would love to see more interactivity. The game‘s world just felt a bit too distant for my liking to really immerse myself into it.

But anyways as I said before, i am sure the game will still be great fun. Just two minor nitpicks from the initial release.
Just for the record you can also destroy rocks, trees and plants with the granade slingshot.

I think that other than the game being made with jaguar in mind, horizon is not excactly the type of game where you are gonna see zelda botw type of physics.

In zelda you have a very simple core melee combat so adding physics to the mix to defeat enemies is a way to add variety, but games like horizon or elden ring already have a robust and varied combat system so i personally would never choose to use a giant magnet or some other strange gadget to defeat enemies instead of using the normal combat system that for me is just more fun, i don't know if you get what i mean, it's like putting advanced physics in doom, do you think anyone would kill enemies with physics instead of shooting them?!

Sure, more interactivity with the locations would be great to make the world more alive, but you don't see an rdr2 every year unfortunately, to get that level of realism and interaction you need the usual rockstar 10 years\1000 people\unlimited budget treatment.

And even rdr2 doens't have that much destruction (you can't even destroy rocks or trees), but it has a lot more of micro-interactions\details around the world, and nobody is gonna beat that game before gta6 or rdr3.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

My hype over this fell off a cliff when it became clear it was a PS4 game. Was hoping for some real innovation and true next gen goodness. Hopefully they’ll release more stuff that’ll counteract that feeling, but for now this is a ‘maybe buy after a few months when it’s on sale’ job.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Just for the record you can also can destroy rocks, trees and plants with the granade slingshot.

I think that other than the game being made with jaguar in mind, horizon is not excactly the type of game where you are gonna see zelda botw type of physics.

In zelda you have a very simple combat so adding physics to the mix to defeat enemies is a way to add variety, but games like horizon or elden ring already have a robust and varied combat system so i personally would never choose to use a giant magnet or some other strange gadget to defeat enemies instead of using the normal combat system that for me is just more fun, i don't know if you get what i mean.

Sure, more interactivity with the locations would be great to make the world more alive, but you don't see an rdr2 every year unfortunately, to get that level of realism and interaction you need the usual rockstar 10 years\1000 people\unlimited budget treatment.

And even rdr2 doens't have that much destruction (you can't even destroy rocks or trees), but it has a lot more of micro-interactions\details around the world, and nobody is gonna beat that game before gta6 or rdr3.

Yea, it is those micro-interactions that I feel are missing. If they don't exist in the sequel, it won't ruin the game. However I do think it would add *tremendously* if they did exist. Even if they aren't on the same level of RDR2.

Top Bottom