• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West - New Playstation Blog - (Re)building the awe-inspiring machines of

GymWolf

Yea, it is those micro-interactions that I feel are missing. If they don't exist in the sequel, it won't ruin the game. However I do think it would add *tremendously* if they did exist. Even if they aren't on the same level of RDR2.
I'm a realistic guy so i kinda know what to expect.

I think guerrilla has just different priorities in horizon, the world is never gonna be as immersive as rdr2 or even fucking far cry\AC, the world is just a static beatiful scenario to tell a good scifi story with a good combat system and interesting enemies, you have no idea of how much time you lose to create a new dinobot from zero, even the smallest one in the first game was super detailed, super well animated, with a precise role in the fictional ecosystem of the story and with 4 different attacks, you have final bosses in some games with less than 4 different attacks...

I know people love to shit on horizon with those zelda comparisons, but in some aspect the guerrilla game literally pulverize botw and those aspects are were guerrilla put much of his dev time, you can literally follow the dinobots to see how they interact with the world and they said that they are gonna improve this aspect (that i love since i'm a fictional ecosystem lover)

I hate and love this since i love physics\interactions in videogames but i loved the first game so i can accept the compromises if combat and story are on the same level or better.

Althought they have no excuse for horizon 3 on ps5 only with a ryzen under their asses and more years to develop the game since we are probably gonna see it at the end of ps5 life cycle.

P.s. of course i'm happy to be disproved by guerrilla if this time they manage to create a more interactive world this time.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You just called the gifs in the OP boring...and proceeded to post a gif with a character walking?
The funny thing about that is that Horizon is one of the least boring open world games ever. Most open worlds are empty nowadays with enemies relegated to outposts. Large stretches of nothing in between story missions.

Horizon was like souls game in that the entire map is full of enemies trying to kill you. The journey in rdr2 and other ubisoft games is basically you riding your horse to the next mission. Here, the journey IS the game.

I love rdr2. It's my GOTG. And its boredom is the reason why i love the game, but horizon is by no means boring.

They showed most of them during the gameplay stream countdown.

Man that looks rough lol. Maybe they arent showing the rest of the game because they dont look as good as the beach vertical slice. The draw distance, foliage density and LODs in those scenes are last gen as fuck. the vertical slice looked almost next gen.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The funny thing about that is that Horizon is one of the least boring open world games ever. Most open worlds are empty nowadays with enemies relegated to outposts. Large stretches of nothing in between story missions.

Horizon was like souls game in that the entire map is full of enemies trying to kill you. The journey in rdr2 and other ubisoft games is basically you riding your horse to the next mission. Here, the journey IS the game.

I love rdr2. It's my GOTG. And its boredom is the reason why i love the game, but horizon is by no means boring.
Pretty much this.

Although rdr2 had a whole mini-events systems and sometimes the natural interactions between npc and animals can be hilarious during normal open world gameplay, so you always have the chance of a surprise in that game, half the times when i used the auto-walk with the panoramic camera i had to stop because something called for my attention.

horizon had nothing of that except the rare times when you see a small group of hunter getting blasted by a large dinobot, or just dinobot getting aggro on you.

The sequel desperately needs some mini-events during open world traversal to spice things up, almost all the modern open world have this stuff, from days gone to fc to ac.

Last edited:

Man that looks rough lol. Maybe they arent showing the rest of the game because they dont look as good as the beach vertical slice. The draw distance, foliage density and LODs in those scenes are last gen as fuck. the vertical slice looked almost next gen.

Like always, I’ll reserve my judgement once they release another trailer.

I think the world from Aloy’s POV will look entirely different than a postcard shot of each location. For example, the shot of the beach doesn’t look great from that angle, but it looks great in actual gameplay.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

I think guerrilla has just different priorities in horizon, the world is never gonna be as immersive as rdr2 or even fucking far cry\AC, the world is just a static beatiful scenario to tell a good scifi story with a good combat system and interesting enemies, you have no idea of how much time you lose to create a new dinobot from zero, even the smallest one in the first game was super detailed, super well animated, with a precise role in the fictional ecosystem of the story and with 4 different attacks, you have final bosses in some games with less than 4 different attacks...

I know people love to shit on horizon with those zelda comparisons, but in some aspect the guerrilla game literally pulverize botw and those aspects are were guerrilla put much of his dev time, you can literally follow the dinobots to see how they interact with the world and they said that they are gonna improve this aspect (that i love since i'm a fictional ecosystem lover)

I hate and love this since i love physics\interactions in videogames but i loved the first game so i can accept the compromises if combat and story are on the same level or better.

Althought they have no excuse for horizon 3 on ps5 only with a ryzen under their asses and more years to develop the game since we are probably gonna see it at the end of ps5 life cycle.

P.s. of course i'm happy to be disproved by guerrilla if this time they manage to create a more interactive world this time.
Melee and the open world were my only real gripes with Horizon, if they've fixed both of those then they have a 10/10 game on their hands

XXL

You just called the gifs in the OP boring...and proceeded to post a gif with a character walking?
Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

What do you mean with open world?

For me, open world was pretty dull. It looked pretty but you couldn’t really do much in it, weren’t even a lot of sidequest or events.

This game talking about how you don’t have to walk around mountains and the fact that you can just climb up them if you want, and glide off them, hook shot to bring down chest and walls. It sounds like they’ve improved it a lot more

SlimySnake

Pretty much this.

Although rdr2 had a whole mini-events systems and sometimes the natural interactions between npc and animals can be hilarious during normal open world gameplay, so you always have the chance of a surprise in that game, half the times when i used the auto-walk with the panoramic camera i had to stop because something called for my attention.

horizon had nothing of that except the rare times when you see a small group of hunter getting blasted by a large dinobot, or just dinobot getting aggro on you.

The sequel desperately needs some mini-events during open world traversal to spice things up, almost all the modern open world have this stuff, from days gone to fc to ac.
Agreed. I want next gen games to simulate all kinds of NPC interactions now that they finally have CPU power to spare. RDR2's encounters were mostly scripted but most studios cant have 3000 devs across 7 different internal studios meticulously design random encounters like that so they have to program in the simulation.

I want the world to feel lived in. You mentioned small group of hunters. I noticed them a couple of times when i was mopping up trophies the other day but it didnt feel as epic as this leaked concept art.

60ade0f3jw1eke6j0zwa5j21kw149h8v.jpg

I want to see different tribes hunt with their own different tactics. I want to see tribes warring with each other. For once in my fucking life, id like to go to an enemy outpost and see it already under seige by another tribe. In any game.

How does this world work? How do they commute? How do they trade? Or hunt? Why are there no caravans or convoys going from settlement to settlement?

Too many open world games this gen skipped urban environments and settled for vast open and empty worlds. I want to see cities. Lively cities that react to getting attacked by dinosaurs. thats why we watch jurassic park movies. Its why GTA3 was so revolutionary. No one played it for the story. We all just went around destroying everything in tanks to see how the pedestrians would react to the carnage and just who the game would send to take us down. In so many open world games, no one chases you after you leave their base. GoT, Far Cry, Ass Creed, Days Gone, even RDR2 are behind GTA games that have cops then FBI then the military chase you all around town. I would like pit humans against dinobots in order to escape or vice versa.

Games need to be far more dynamic than they are today and its sad that none of those things will be in this game thats releasing two years into the gen. we wont get a next gen horizon sequel until 2027, the last year of the ps5.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Nope Rockstar is def alone. No one makes games anywhere close to theirs.

That's your opinion and that is fine, but personally I don't have a very high opinion of gameplay in Rockstar's games. They create interesting open worlds with lots to do but nothing I find appealing enough to actually do. Give me the option for GTA or an Assassin's Creed game and I'll take AC every time. But like I said......opinions.

Last edited:
That's your opinion and that is fine, but personally I don't have a very high opinion of gameplay in Rockstar's games. They create interesting open worlds with lots to do but nothing I find appealing enough to actually do. Give me the option for GTA or an Assassin's Creed game and I'll take AC every time. But like I said......opinions.
Sure opinions, Lol but the proof is in the #s nuff said. The GTA franchise alone has over 355 Mil copies in sales.

GymWolf

Agreed. I want next gen games to simulate all kinds of NPC interactions now that they finally have CPU power to spare. RDR2's encounters were mostly scripted but most studios cant have 3000 devs across 7 different internal studios meticulously design random encounters like that so they have to program in the simulation.

I want the world to feel lived in. You mentioned small group of hunters. I noticed them a couple of times when i was mopping up trophies the other day but it didnt feel as epic as this leaked concept art.

I want to see different tribes hunt with their own different tactics. I want to see tribes warring with each other. For once in my fucking life, id like to go to an enemy outpost and see it already under seige by another tribe. In any game.

How does this world work? How do they commute? How do they trade? Or hunt? Why are there no caravans or convoys going from settlement to settlement?

Too many open world games this gen skipped urban environments and settled for vast open and empty worlds. I want to see cities. Lively cities that react to getting attacked by dinosaurs. thats why we watch jurassic park movies. Its why GTA3 was so revolutionary. No one played it for the story. We all just went around destroying everything in tanks to see how the pedestrians would react to the carnage and just who the game would send to take us down. In so many open world games, no one chases you after you leave their base. GoT, Far Cry, Ass Creed, Days Gone, even RDR2 are behind GTA games that have cops then FBI then the military chase you all around town. I would like pit humans against dinobots in order to escape or vice versa.

Games need to be far more dynamic than they are today and its sad that none of those things will be in this game thats releasing two years into the gen. we wont get a next gen horizon sequel until 2027, the last year of the ps5.
I have nothing to add really.

Yea, the enemies were really the only way you could feasibly interact with the world outside of the general “grass moves as you move through it:”. Which is kinda disappointing as I would love to see more interactivity. The game‘s world just felt a bit too distant for my liking to really immerse myself into it.

But anyways as I said before, i am sure the game will still be great fun. Just two minor nitpicks from the initial release.
I think this was a good use of resources on Gureilla part. It resulted in the best 3rd person combat of a generation maybe ever and the most interesting and interactive enemies in a long time.

Seriously it's curbstops every other 3rd person shooter last gen lol. I can't go back to shooting dudes with guns or zombies after this lol.

Banjo64

cumsessed
As someone who loved Vice City and San, liked GTA 4 but less so GTA 5; I agree with you.

4 and 5 have pretty bland world design in my opinion; fake buildings which you can’t enter, everything in terms of game play feels wooden with the exception of car driving. Walking, shooting, any of the mini games; all feels dreadful.

I played RDR, which I enjoyed more than GTA V, but I’ve not even touched RDR2 and think I’m done with their formula. It’s just not evolved past the PS2 games IMO.

On topic: Horizon looks great and plays great. Guerrilla were wasted on Killzone but found their groove with Horizon. Aloy is a tiny bit bland but she’s nice eye candy and the gameplay is the main focus, which they nail.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
As someone who loved Vice City and San, liked GTA 4 but less so GTA 5; I agree with you.

4 and 5 have pretty bland world design in my opinion; fake buildings which you can’t enter, everything in terms of game play feels wooden with the exception of car driving. Walking, shooting, any of the mini games; all feels dreadful.

I played RDR, which I enjoyed more than GTA V, but I’ve not even touched RDR2 and think I’m done with their formula. It’s just not evolved past the PS2 games IMO.

Same. GTA 4 and 5, although immensely popular, never resonated with me. Same for RDR 2. Part of me hopes something different will come from these games now that Houser has left Rockstar. They could use some new blood, I think.

On topic: Horizon looks great and plays great. Guerrilla were wasted on Killzone but found their groove with Horizon. Aloy is a tiny bit bland but she’s nice eye candy and the gameplay is the main focus, which they nail.

Killzone was a decent shooter, but other than being graphically impressive, it felt shallow. Horizon has a bit more depth and mystery behind the story. Aloy is a bit too clean. Kind of has an Opie vibe going on, red hair freckles and all. Could use some grit. But yeah, I loved the first game. Fighting those robots was amazing.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

thats why my summer car is the best open world game of the generation

SlimySnake

I think this was a good use of resources on Gureilla part. It resulted in the best 3rd person combat of a generation maybe ever and the most interesting and interactive enemies in a long time.

Seriously it's curbstops every other 3rd person shooter last gen lol. I can't go back to shooting dudes with guns or zombies after this lol.
Yeah, at the time Horizon had the best third person shooter combat in an open world game.

But since then Days Gone, TLOU2, Mass Effect Andromeda and Anthem have all had equally great third person shooter combat. GoT is not a shooter but its another Sony open world game that took the tight and polished combat systems of linear games and applied them in an open world game. We had gone almost a decade of serviceable to straight up bad combat until Horizon launched in 2017. Year after year of AC, Bethesda, GTA, and Far Cry games with just mind numbingly boring combat.

A lot of people dismiss sony open world games as samey walking simulators but i mostly play them for the combat. Saw this gif today in my feed just today. Absolutely incredible.

Filldo

All these videos of Aloy riding the dinobots.... I myself never once rode the machines in Zero Dawn past the original tutorial sequence. I just didn't like it, and never found it necessary at all. It was much more fun running around exploring on foot and finding secrets and stuff. Did a lot of other people ride the machines around all the time?
Some of the mounts made cleaning up the collection stuff a lot easier. Just faster way to get around but I didn't use mounts for most of the game either.

I still gotta go play the DLC!

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Game is a looker. Will sell gangbusters. I felt the bow and arrow gameplay a bit clunky in the first so hopefully it's smoothed out in the sequel.

yurinka

For me VC :>> SA > GTA5 >> GTA4. I played all the GTAs since GTAIII including the PSP ones. I get distracted with random stuff (like riding the BMX in San Andreas) and secondary stuff and get bored before completing the games, after around maximum 10 hours or so. I never completed any GTA game. Same happened to me with Horizon, was cool and beatutiful but didn't complete it (back then I did prefer to play Zelda and some day I may come back but never completed Horizon, played 5-10 hors maybe.

Last edited:

noise36

Mixed feelings about this one as finished the first game , tried to replay it to do the DLC on ps5 and it was a bit of a zzz,

Last edited:
Some of the mounts made cleaning up the collection stuff a lot easier. Just faster way to get around but I didn't use mounts for most of the game either.

The DLC was really good! There is a pretty big fight with a new mega-machine that was really hard, and in the end I wound up cheesing it to beat it. Not my proudest moment, but damn that was tough!!!

I played the dlc just as part of the main campaign since I played it on pc long after the original came out, and the dlc does introduce new weapons that kinda break the "regular" gameplay because they're so powerful, but I still enjoyed every minute of it! Such a wonderful game.

Only game where mounts matter is witcher 3, RDR2, and Tsushima.

In botw i think i maybe used a mount 2 times? I think the same thing is gonna happen with this game now that it has free climbing. Im gonna get on a mount see a little cliff side and jump right off and scale the mountain for secrets.

I did this a lot in Tsushima also because there was so much terrain to scale by hand.

I think the hero lighting gives it a nice unique “next gen” look.

I’ll take overly-lit, saturated, and vibrant aesthetics over the ps3 gen of everything being brown and gloomy looking. I’m interested in seeing how the PS4 version without the extra lighting compares

Last edited:

Keihart

I think the hero lighting gives it a nice unique “next gen” look.

I’ll take overly-lit, saturated, and vibrant aesthetics over the ps3 gen of everything being brown and gloomy looking. I’m interested in seeing how the PS4 version without the extra lighting compares
Im gonna make a wild guess and say that the PS4 version is gonna look almost the same effects wise but with lower LOD and resolution.

Im gonna make a wild guess and say that the PS4 version is gonna look almost the same effects wise but with lower LOD and resolution.

Yeah, but I mean how it will look without the “hero lighting” that they said will only be on the ps5 during gameplay

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

I can definitely see where you are coming from, but since the story in the first game and its characters were so utterly forgettable for me, the only thing that kept me going was the beautiful world and design of the enemies. So unless they improve the story, which I am not sure Guerilla can do as they have yet to produce a single story I actually enjoyed, I can only hold out that they do these minor environmental improvements to keep me immersed int he world.

I can‘t agree with that. Monster Hunter poops all over the combat system and its enemies, while not as great in terms of animation, have far more going on.

Hezekiah

Banned
Looks amazing, Guerilla are always unreal when it comes to graphical fidelity and artwork.

What I love about Playstation Studios is the way they push each other. God of War and Factions will give credit where it's due, but will be competing against this.

I'm willing to try the first one again. I found it boring but this one looks a bit better.

GG technical prowess is outstanding.

GymWolf

I can definitely see where you are coming from, but since the story in the first game and its characters were so utterly forgettable for me, the only thing that kept me going was the beautiful world and design of the enemies. So unless they improve the story, which I am not sure Guerilla can do as they have yet to produce a single story I actually enjoyed, I can only hold out that they do these minor environmental improvements to keep me immersed int he world.

I can‘t agree with that. Monster Hunter poops all over the combat system and its enemies, while not as great in terms of animation, have far more going on.
The story was the second biggest highlight for me in the entire game so on my part i hope they can come up with something on the same level, i'm not worried since the guy who wrote the plot for the first one, also wrote the plot for the second one.

GymWolf

Yeah, at the time Horizon had the best third person shooter combat in an open world game.

But since then Days Gone, TLOU2, Mass Effect Andromeda and Anthem have all had equally great third person shooter combat. GoT is not a shooter but its another Sony open world game that took the tight and polished combat systems of linear games and applied them in an open world game. We had gone almost a decade of serviceable to straight up bad combat until Horizon launched in 2017. Year after year of AC, Bethesda, GTA, and Far Cry games with just mind numbingly boring combat.

A lot of people dismiss sony open world games as samey walking simulators but i mostly play them for the combat. Saw this gif today in my feed just today. Absolutely incredible.

It hurts seeing horizon combat close to stuff like anthem or andromeda or even days gone tbh. (And i relatively liked these games, emphasys on relatively for the first 2)

On ultra hard i think it's much better than all these games.

And if we talk fighting interesting enemies, not even tlou2 is that close tbh (and tlou2 is not even open world)

SlimySnake

It hurts seeing horizon combat close to stuff like anthem or andromeda or even days gone tbh. (And i relatively liked these games, emphasys on relatively for the first 2)

On ultra hard i think it's much better than all these games.

And if we talk fighting interesting enemies, not even tlou2 is that close tbh (and tlou2 is not even open world)
Oh definitely Horizon has the most interesting enemies for sure.

But imo that's only part of what makes a combat system great. There is also weapons, abilities, depth and just how responsive everything feels and comes together. I recently went back to Horizon, and it felt a bit dated. it was still fun mind you but after having recently played Andromeda, Horizon didnt seem as tight and revolutionary as it originally did. Some of the weapons didnt feel as responsive which makes sense considering its a bow and arrow game, but the mobility of Aloy felt limited too. Though, thats by design and a probably unfair comparison to Andromeda which lets you hover and blink dodge everywhere and Anthem which literally lets you fly everywhere.

I think the new additions shown in the gameplay trailer will help with the mobility for sure. Grapple should compliment the dodge, enhanced melee should help with close quarters combat, and combos should add some more depth to the game. I think Horizon needs an AoE weapon. The slingshot is supposed to be that but those grenades are not powerful enough and doesnt clear an area to buy you some time. That's where Days Gone's various different bombs come in. I could always rely on them to not just take out dozens of zombies at once, but also buy me some time. I had to fight two Trex at once the other day while collecting a metal flower, and it was kind of a mess. Exhilarating yes, but it didnt feel clean and felt super rushed. If I had the grapple in this game, or that goey stuff she used on the elephant that locks them down without having to rely on the ropecaster, and maybe some biotic abilities from Mass Effect (Singularity/force push etc) it wouldve given me some more options to fight them a bit differently than just brute force the encounter once it started.

P.S Yeah, i dont know why i mentioned TLOU2. maybe it was because we were talking about third person shooters, but the mobility in that game is fantastic. You can dodge every which way, go prone from sprinting, land on your back and shoot from the ground like John Wick, and use all kinds of AoE and ranged attacks.

GymWolf

Oh definitely Horizon has the most interesting enemies for sure.

But imo that's only part of what makes a combat system great. There is also weapons, abilities, depth and just how responsive everything feels and comes together. I recently went back to Horizon, and it felt a bit dated. it was still fun mind you but after having recently played Andromeda, Horizon didnt seem as tight and revolutionary as it originally did. Some of the weapons didnt feel as responsive which makes sense considering its a bow and arrow game, but the mobility of Aloy felt limited too. Though, thats by design and a probably unfair comparison to Andromeda which lets you hover and blink dodge everywhere and Anthem which literally lets you fly everywhere.

I think the new additions shown in the gameplay trailer will help with the mobility for sure. Grapple should compliment the dodge, enhanced melee should help with close quarters combat, and combos should add some more depth to the game. I think Horizon needs an AoE weapon. The slingshot is supposed to be that but those grenades are not powerful enough and doesnt clear an area to buy you some time. That's where Days Gone's various different bombs come in. I could always rely on them to not just take out dozens of zombies at once, but also buy me some time. I had to fight two Trex at once the other day while collecting a metal flower, and it was kind of a mess. Exhilarating yes, but it didnt feel clean and felt super rushed. If I had the grapple in this game, or that goey stuff she used on the elephant that locks them down without having to rely on the ropecaster, and maybe some biotic abilities from Mass Effect (Singularity/force push etc) it wouldve given me some more options to fight them a bit differently than just brute force the encounter once it started.

P.S Yeah, i dont know why i mentioned TLOU2. maybe it was because we were talking about third person shooters, but the mobility in that game is fantastic. You can dodge every which way, go prone from sprinting, land on your back and shoot from the ground like John Wick, and use all kinds of AoE and ranged attacks.
I use wire traps as aoe attacks, you put a couple of them on the ground and you can cover kinda of a big area.

A proper aoe attack would make the game too easy and i already fear for the next game being a complete cakewalk with all the addons to aloy mobility and weaponery.

I always saw days gone as bootleg tlou gameplay but with far worse shooting and melee even compared to tlou1 (that arguably still has better melee and hit reactions than most modern games).

Hordes are the only thing that really is unique.

Anthem and andromeda had better mobility yeah, but enemies were fucking retarded and uninteresting, flying\jetpacking around does cancel that.

I think there will be a lot more hype again for this when they start showing the platforming/open world.

Tsushima shrines had really fun platforming, I’m hoping we get stuff like that in horizon. I think thats why they’re holding off on showing more stuff, the next trailer is gonna show a lot more of the game kinda like ratchet and clanks debut gameplay which was just a small segment in the beginning and the next big debut which had rivet, and showed all the levels and mechanics

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Every time this dismount/arrow shot is shown it looks more janky to me.

By the time she gets the crossbow out, she's too close to the ground..and she shoots the arrow at the same time she hits the ground which would make for a horrible shot.
You are aware it's a videogame? Not an accurate representation of real world physics and archery

Top Bottom