• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West on PS5 Loads So Fast the Devs Had To Make It Slower so You Can Read the Gameplay Tips

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
In a conversation with Engadget, Forbidden West's game director Mathijs de Jonge spoke of the incredibly fast load times the PlayStation 5 is capable of, and how that compared to the Horizon Zero Dawn experience on PS4.

“In Horizon Zero Dawn, we called it fast travel, but it could take maybe a minute to actually load,” de Jonge said.

“With the PS5, it’s maybe four or five seconds, it loads so quickly that players can’t even read the hints.

“We had to add a very simple feature where it hangs on the loading screen for enough time so you can actually read at least one hint while it loads.”

If you're playing Horizon Forbidden West on PS5, you'll notice that you have to tap X to move on past the loading screen, so you definitely have as much time as you need to read those gameplay tips. (Update: you can actually turn this off in the settings menu so the game loads right away without the need to press X. Just look for the option 'Stand By Screen Mode'.)

Last edited:

emivita

Who cares about hints beside the ego of the dev who wrote them? Patch it so you can bypass that.

How about removing the silly tips and loading faster instead?

(Update: you can actually turn this off in the settings menu so the game loads right away without the need to press X. Just look for the option for 'Stand By Screen Mode'.)

O only played an hour last night after the midnight unlock. Got up this morning from a completely shut down PS5 and was really surprised at how fast it loaded where it saved off. I'm still not sure exactly where it's auto saving. I've yet to save manually at a campfire, not that far into the game yet.

Corndog

Banned
Lol hyperbole? Did u see how fast doom eternal loads? On a normal SSD? On an HDD? I mean, this SSD hyperbole needs to stop. It's nothing new and nothing mindblowing.

Also, yeah...tips and hints ..who reads those?
My computer loaded the original game fairly fast. Never timed it though.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
(Update: you can actually turn this off in the settings menu so the game loads right away without the need to press X. Just look for the option for 'Stand By Screen Mode'.)
Yep, confirmed. Concern crisis averted.

Stand By Screen Mode will alter the loading screens and how they work. By default, it will be set so that you have to press to continue on every loading screen - this gives you time to read the displayed tips or to ready yourself. However, switching it to Immediate means it will load as soon as it is ready, often in only a few seconds.
Horizon-Forbidden-West_20220214122459.jpg

Filben

The same was said on Ghost of Tsushima.

And the title (of the article) is misleading. They said, "We had to add a very simple feature where it hangs on the loading screen for enough time so you can actually read at least one hint while it loads.”

This feature could be the press X prompt. It doesn't specifically says they artificially made the loading times longer. Also, it doesn't make sense. Why make them longer if you have a button prompt in the first place? There's no need for longer loading times then.

This is stagily and nothing but playing to the gallery by IGN.

Aenima

If its not in the thread tittle, it dosent exist. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Its good that thers an option to disable the hints to load as fast as possible, and is also good to have slower loadings with hints for the ppl that find them usefull.

Kinda reminds me Ghost of Tsushima had loadings with hints, but loaded so fast i could only read a few of them.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The same was said on Ghost of Tsushima.

And the title (of the article) is misleading. They said, "We had to add a very simple feature where it hangs on the loading screen for enough time so you can actually read at least one hint while it loads.”

This feature could be the press X prompt. It doesn't specifically says they artificially made the loading times longer. Also, it doesn't make sense. Why make them longer if you have a button prompt in the first place? There's no need for longer loading times then.

This is stagily and nothing but playing to the gallery by IGN.
They're just downplaying it to drown out the last gen holding everyone back people by saying the hint screens are a feature. But if it weren't for last gen they probably wouldn't have made the "hint" screens.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
This thread is fantastic. Just waiting for a post to declare the statement not true and then it will be complete.

Edit: Banjo64 Banjo64 you poor soul. Why did it have to be you?
Fade me fam :messenger_tears_of_joy:

To be honest the headline in isolation did sound ridiculous.

If I was Guerrilla I would have just scrapped the hints and flexed the short loading times, they should be proud of them.

GHG

Gold Member
Fade me fam :messenger_tears_of_joy:

To be honest the headline in isolation did sound ridiculous.

If I was Guerrilla I would have just scrapped the hints and flexed the short loading times, they should be proud of them.

Yep, agree, to be honest it should be the default option.

But I guess they are assuming most people need an extra shove in the right direction for whatever reason.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
(Update: you can actually turn this off in the settings menu so the game loads right away without the need to press X. Just look for the option 'Stand By Screen Mode'.)
That should be the default. Load screens exist because of technical limitations. If the limitations are gone, so too should load screens.

Gamerguy84

I'll be honest the hints screen helped me last game. It was way more than just pres O to roll. It was usually combat tactics or weapons strategy, something useful. The PS4 had no choice though to take over a minute to load.

I'm turning it off tonigh. If people want hints google is close by.

Anyone try it yet? I'll find out in a few hours.

Remember the loading screen tips on NES and SNES games?? Yeah me neither. Stupid guerilla.
I think the first Dragon Quest was around 50kb in size, the first Castlevania was a little more than that and going from memory I think Super Mario Bros. was only around the 30kb mark, I imagine when the newer consoles reduce their game sizes to something like that we'll all be happy with the complete absence of hint screens then.
Not many did but some of the larger SNES games did actually have loading screens, no tips though as they weren't there for that long. Also, it's probably worth remembering that Nintendo introduced the Famicom Disk System as a solution to the ever expanding size of games while trying to keep the costs of those games down and there was certainly more than enough time for hints there. In reality though, instead you got Mario and Luigi arguing about what colour the loading screen should be.
I suppose you could also say the same about the Satellaview because once you actually had the game there was still loading to be done.
JC0p-Kd7r-4x.jpg

At least here there's an option to disable hints screens in some games now.
As somebody who grew up with the old 8bit computers in the 80s I can remember what it was like to spend 30 minutes trying to load a game with fiends and even when you got to the end of the tape the game was on, there was no guarantee that it had loaded successful. It would have been a hell of a bonus back then to have new things on the screen to read. 😊

G-Bus

Banned
Even with it not toggled off I find you can press x pretty well as soon as you seen the screen.

Non issue either way.

DavidGzz

I was like, why not just put a prompt to press X as default that way you can read if you want or skip it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom