• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West: Review Thread |

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Fextralife wasn't so hot on the story and characters (which is a shame because he's well seasoned in RPG storytelling) but was fond of everything else.

Unfortunately Fextralife are massive Souls' game stans, and a lot of their business as an outlet is geared towards servicing that fanbase. Something that makes the repeated references to Elden Ring strike me as conveniently self-serving.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Watched the EUROGAMER review and my complaints about the first game (which are fresh as I'm finishing the game now) look to be addressed (at least a few). The animation work in particular is leagues beyond what was in the first game. Hopefully this applies to Aloy and her normal traversal in the world (which is fucking abysmal in Zero Dawn).

It’s normal, in the first game you are discovering the world through the main character, in the second you are discovering the world through other characters.

It’s how it goes. Like Witcher 3. Sequels must become much more character driven, about their struggles, and in an rpg that means side quests.

Fair enough. I've not found ALL the mysteries of HZD, but once you get to "Zero Dawn" the mystery in the world does kind of lessen and you're left with the world building itself (which, while good, isn't as good as I think it could be).

. . .though I will say I enjoyed the main story of THE WITCHER much more than any of the sidequests (and those were good). One of the few "epic and long" RPG's I've actually finished.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Halo got criticised for having no coop multiplayer mode, no split-screen coop in particular. For some reason Sony games are never criticised for having no coop multiplayer mode.
...thats because those game modes were in the original halo from the beginning and then so on for the sequels and it got dinged because what was common for the franchise wasnt there, did the first horizon have coop? No? NO SHIT!

John Wick

What? Are we awarding review scores based on how much we respect the developers or how much work they put into it?

Edit: Also, what the fuck is up with the petty "omg, this random guy scored HALO better than HFW??!?? SHILL" comments? Be happy that you're getting an amazing game and accept that some reviewers might have different tastes than yours.
Yes his tastes seem to align with MS/Xbox games.

kingfey

Banned
Yes his tastes seem to align with MS/Xbox games.
Now you are understanding we people dont like reviewers.

Every reviewer has a taste of gamers. Certain games would get lower score, because it doesnt meet their taste. Hence the Metacritic score is shit.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Every reviewer has a taste of gamers. Certain games would get lower score, because it doesnt meet their taste. Hence the Metacritic score is shit.
This is why you need focus less on the score and more to actual review, because you have your own taste, maybe the positive points for reviewer might not be postive for you.

Swift_Star

Banned
iiHKav0.png
Dat you?

kingfey

Banned
This is why you need focus less on the score and more to actual review, because you have your own taste, maybe the positive points for reviewer might not be postive for you.
i like the blind mode. Much better experience, than using the reviewer opinion. There are certain experiences, which are hard to understand, unless you experience it.

Swift_Star

Banned
Chasing money can only work for so long. They were lucky past gen thanks to the failures of Nintendo and Xbox.

This gen they really should have diversified their games, not sacrificed one thing for the other.
I’m amazed how you’re incapable of reasoning and logic. The game will sell 20 million and what are you going to say then?

kingfey

Banned
Chasing money can only work for so long. They were lucky past gen thanks to the failures of Nintendo and Xbox.

This gen they really should have diversified their games, not sacrificed one thing for the other.
Diversifying your genre, without any backup is a suicide option. They need more studios for that option.

Not every new project is a hit.

Danjin44

i like the blind mode. Much better experience, than using the reviewer opinion. There are certain experiences, which are hard to understand, unless you experience it.
If you played games long enough you know what you like and dont like, I never needed review tell me if SMTV was worth playing and I dont need one for Elden Ring and doesn't matter how high score Horizon 2 gets it never going get me buy the game because I know I wont like it same way I didn't liked the first game.

Last edited:

pratyush

HZD to HFW comparison.

"Horizon Forbidden West expands, improves and deepens all aspects of Horizon Zero Dawn."

"Horizon Forbidden West is superior to its predecessor in almost every way"

"Horizon 2 : Forbidden West outperforms its predecessor at all levels"

"Horizon Forbidden West is everything you could hope for in a sequel"

"Better and more refined, Horizon Forbidden West keeps the best parts of its predecessor, improves upon them and adds new gameplay elements."

"Bigger and better than its predecessor in every single way, Horizon Forbidden West is a game that’s ever so easy to get lost in"

"It’s not just that Horizon Forbidden West is bigger, it’s better"

"Horizon Forbidden West improves on Zero Dawn in so many different ways."

zkorejo

Apparently the story goes into some weird sci fi territory which might not be for everybody but is right up my alley.
Hmm. I wonder what's that supposed to mean by "weird" territory. I'm more interested in sci Fi story aspects than tribe wars.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
ha-gay-ken-jeong.gif

Good luck fighting for survival vs mecha dinos in those leaf dresses instead of an actual armor. How could GG a.k.a. the masters of design came up with something ridiculous as this, like c'mon...

To be honest, fighting those machines means one hit, one kill whether you're in a juggernaut armor or naked.

Reactions: GHG

Zeroing

Banned
From my subs on YouTube I choose randomly 2 reviews and both gave it a 10 so if I had any doubts ( I didn’t ) it’s all clear… combat and the open world are engaging and that is more than enough for me
:D

John Wick

What a weak and shite argument. My mate came round and played Forza Horizon 5 at my house for a good amount of hours. Now he's not a racing fan so it wasn't a game he'd really be interested in. But after playing it he still managed to give me a fair opinion of the game. Saying that even though he personally didn't like this type of game but he still rated FH5 for it's quality. He said it had great graphics and presentation. It was fun to play and the music was really good. Just because we might personally have different tastes doesn't stop a game from being good. Stevivor clearly seemed to align his tastes with a certain brand.

John Wick

Hilarious that the outlet are already seemingly blacklisted but yet they still moved heaven and earth to get a copy. Wonder why.

That so called "freelancer" is about to find himself blacklisted as well.
A reviewer should have the ability to review a game fairly. Even though it might not be his cup of tea. This guy clearly has no morals.

sncvsrtoip

I don’t see why you guys care so about the score. Based on the reviews I watched/read so far, if you liked the first game then chances are you gonna enjoy the 2nd game as well.
Even better as watched review of person that didnt like first (I also wasnt a fan) and 2 is improved in so many aspects (especialy npc dialog/narration and side missions) that he loves forbidden west.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Even better as watched review of person that didnt like first (I also wasnt a fan) and 2 is improved in so many aspects (especialy npc dialog/narration and side missions) that he loves forbidden west.
Based all the reviews I watched, Horizon 2 is definitely not for me and Elden Ring is coming out soon, which is a game I much rather play instead of Horizon 2.

John Wick

I watched Skillup's review and it was very indepth. When he first started I hated him. But over time he has become a very good reviewer.

pratyush

I don’t see why you guys care so about the score. Based on the reviews I watched/read so far, if you liked the first game then chances are you gonna enjoy the 2nd game as well.
I posted that just to mention the breakdown of 100 critic have scored it.

Personally I dont care about reviews. I played Days Gone which was scrutinized heavily and I absolutely loved it. On the hand, I didnt like Deathloop even though it was highly rated.

I loved the first one and it seems like they have improved it, so i will most probably love this one as well.

Danjin44

I posted that just to mention the breakdown of 100 critic have scored it.

Personally I dont care about reviews. I played Days Gone which was scrutinized heavily and I absolutely loved it. On the hand, I didnt like Deathloop even though it was highly rated.

I loved the first one and it seems like they have improved it, so i will most probably love this one as well.
To me it’s feels like people in general put too much weight in scores, which to me doesn’t tell you much about the actual game. Both God Hand and NieR got pretty poor “scores” but they were my favourite games, but because those score people were not willing to give those a chance.

Thankfully NieR got second chance with Replicant 1.22, but God Hand is forever lost.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
For all those that said there would be no flying mounts and the ps4 would hold it back.

4:28 minutes in.

LoUZoId.jpg

Those look to me like they are scripted "platforms" that move around in a set pattern over a specific area, rather than an actual mount that you can freely pilot wherever you want. That makes a huge difference.

(Would be cool if I'm wrong though.)

Thirty7ven

Banned
To me it’s feels like people in general put too much weight in scores, which to me doesn’t tell you much about the actual game. Both God Hand and NieR got pretty poor “scores” but they were my favourite games, but because those score people were not willing to give those a chance.

Thankfully NieR got second chance with Replicant 1.22, but God Hand is forever lost.

I agree that scores are worthless, and these critics act like professors in class grading their students, which begs the question…. What exactly are they teaching?

Ah yeah poor Sony they are only lucky their games sell over 20M copies because the others fail and not because their games are good lmao.

Also "this gen" has barely started and we will see probably way more new iPs than the last one

GymWolf

Apparently the story goes into some weird sci fi territory which might not be for everybody but is right up my alley.
The first title was massively scifi in his plot, so reviews saying "too much scifi" sound completely moronic.

Same for the rpg part with min\max builds, equips etc...

The game is a fucking action RPG in a scifi world you cunts, next time we are gonna hear that tomb raider has too much tombs and raiding ffs.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Those look to me like they are scripted "platforms" that move around in a set pattern over a specific area, rather than an actual mount that you can freely pilot wherever you want. That makes a huge difference.

(Would be cool if I'm wrong though.)
I think they've said in interviews that the climbing is not scripted, just that the game detects what surfaces can be horizontal enough to be used while climbing and that the neon highlight is just to help you see where thoses edges are.So we'll see once it is out but I don't understand why they would lie about that.

Top Bottom