• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West State of Play announced for May 27th

Dr Bass

Yes, I did. It didn't play like a cookie cutter open world game. The size served the gameplay. The gameplay wasn't just there to use the open world.
But it was a completely open world to explore …

Any way, no need to argue the point I think. I get your perspective.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The cut-scene of today are on par with de reveal trailer, that trailer was made of cut-scenes, so...obvious the gameplay is a little toned down compared to cut-scenes, but that always happens in games, cut-scenes can utilize more power.
Everything shown last year is just cleaner; more detail, no artifacting.. and that includes comparing it to the cinematic portions shown. I can't be the only one seeing all the shimmering around Aloy's head from time to time, or glitchiness on armor pieces and things like that.

I'm happy with it.. but I have a feeling the DF analysis isn't going to go down well lol

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Rea

killatopak

Gold Member
Wow that's really weird to see. If anyone has some info on Xbox it's definitely Jez Corden.

I wonder why he thinks that?
I’m definitely expecting some good announcements for Xbox at E3 but it could just mean there’s no gameplay shown. Might be more title card announcements or cgi stuff.

noise36

Man, this looks fantastic. I'd never thought it would look this good. With the light on her face it almost looks real.
P.s: Her hand is not touching the spear but the fact that there's a mistake it shows it's in game.

Its a cut scene though not game play, dont think the actual game play looks as good as the CGI / bull shots we had seen up to this point.

A prettier version of the last game is good enough though, I am in.

Last edited:

NahaNago

So horizon forbidden west looks good. The world looks more vibrant and more dense with foliage. It seems like a far more polished horizon zero dawn game. I will say that i'm now looking forward more to see how much better horizon 3 will look.

CamHostage

Wow that's really weird to see. If anyone has some info on Xbox it's definitely Jez Corden.

I wonder why he thinks that?

Well, a few things to consider. One is, MS doesn't seem to have any of its games ready (besides Halo Infinite, which better be ready this time...) in any state of show still since so many were barely off the drawing board when they announced them last year,) so he's being a realist as far as MS actually having a showcase game like this ready to play. They can have a really good trailer of Fable, but it still won't be gameplay, and they could have some really great sequences of Forza, but it won't be as vivacious as this. Maybe there are more secret projects, but of the titles we know, few if any could compete with last year's Horizon trailer (which we now know was really the game) and none of them would be on schedule to have a showing that's as "graphically impressive" as this.

(*I did sort of forget about Hellblade, but rumors are that Hellblade is still a ways back too. It'll have nice clouds when it's done...)

The games Microsoft will probably does have ready for this year's show are supposed to be the Bethesda games, and although TES6 and StarField will be massive productions on powerful new engines, it would be surprising (pleasantly so) if an open-world Bethesda game had this level of dramatic visual expression and high-speed multidirectional character maneuvering. TES6 might end up being as "graphically impressive" as this if you look at the technical demonstration of it, we'll see, but will a trailer for it really show it looking as colorful and dynamic as this? That's may not be in TES's nature.

And then, there's just the money. This is what Sony does. These big single-player gobstoppers are their business. They did it with TLOU2, they're doing it here. They spare no expense. MS isn't against sparing an expense or two. They have an incredibly powerful box and a rabid fanbase wanting them to deliver next-gen games (and I trust that there will be Xbox games that put up a fight against Sony's best,) but like a lot of publishers, MS is thinking about other ways of convincing gamers to come to them than the old AAA/AAAA/99xA approach to game production.

...This is a shitty & unfair way of breaking down Microsoft's chances of having a good Xbox E3 showing in a thread that's not going to be too friendly to Xbox anyway :messenger_poop:, but looking at what we know of Xbox's lineup (and going off their current X/S output, which has not yet been aggressive,) I think there are reasons to understand where Jez is coming from and yet not think bleak thoughts about Xbox. The console war is still on...

Also, although Halo Infinite had a disastrous showing last year, if there was anything real to the Slipspace Engine video (hope and pray if you're a fan) that Microsoft first used to give a glimpse of Halo, there might be a lot more to exciting things to see in Halo Infinite than we've seen so far.

Last edited:

Rea

Everything shown last year is just cleaner; more detail, no artifacting.. and that includes comparing it to the cinematic portions shown. I can't be the only one seeing all the shimmering around Aloy's head from time to time, or glitchiness on armor pieces and things like that.

I'm happy with it.. but I have a feeling the DF analysis isn't going to go down well lol
Probably because of facial hair? At 1st i thought its aliasing, but after zoomed in, its probably facial hair.
RuDZwjQ.jpg

Azurro

Banned
This is the best looking game around, full stop. I haven't seen a game that looks this amazing in so many different aspects. The water effects, the foliage, the polygon counts, the textures, just, wow. I just saw the trailer 5 minutes ago, it looks so damn good.

EDIT: I can't wait until some PCMR guy shows up and says I'm wrong because they turned their sliders up in Control or something silly like that. Watch it happen.

Last edited:
This is the best looking game around, full stop. I haven't seen a game that looks this amazing in so many different aspects. The water effects, the foliage, the polygon counts, the textures, just, wow. I just saw the trailer 5 minutes ago, it looks so damn good.

EDIT: I can't wait until some PCMR guy shows up and says I'm wrong because they turned their sliders up in Control or something silly like that. Watch it happen.
Agreed, IMHO better than most games I’ve seen right now but I guess it’s rather subjective.

noise36

That’s an attack she does in the middle of a fight, it is gameplay, no two ways about it.

It zooms in so it doesn't have to render anything else on screen and you have no control, that's a cutscene. It's clever though as it's looks pretty seamless between the actual controllable game play.

Dude, that was special melee attack animation during the fight with the humans, it's not cutscene.

So it does that entire sequence every time you do that attack? Maybe I am wrong but that doesn't look like a regular attack animation you can repeat any time during game play.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Probably because of facial hair? At 1st i thought its aliasing, but after zoomed in, its probably facial hair.
RuDZwjQ.jpg
Nah that's not it. Her hair, the shadows cast by the straw armor around her shoulders... random pieces of armor in places, sometimes the plants. It's a shimmering sort of effect super common in upscaling, and why I don't use DLSS on PC.

It looks great most of the time, but the random shimmers always catch my eye.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Rea

Ozzie666

The game looks very good. There is no doubt it's a stunner and impressive artistically, game play also looks promising.

However, it's definitely lacking in technical prowess and small things that you'd expect from next generation games. This could be due to it being unfinished, sacrifices made, or that its cross generation (most likely). There are small things like the foliage not responding when run through it or debris vanishing. Small things, but I don't think it detracts from the final product, because it does look gorgeous. It just makes you want to see their next effort, totally focused on next generation hard ware.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really pleased with what was shown. It's next generation worthy, especially if it releases this year. That is really impressive.

Rea

It zooms in so it doesn't have to render anything else on screen and you have no control, that's a cutscene. It's clever though as it's looks pretty seamless between the actual controllable game play.

So it does that entire sequence every time you do that attack? Maybe I am wrong but that doesn't look like a regular attack animation you can repeat any time during game play.
Yea man, someone found that there's a meter for that attack, it depleted after using that attack. I think there will be several special attack animation like this in game. It's so awesome. It's like using ultimate moves in fighting games.

noise36

Yea man, someone found that there's a meter for that attack, it depleted after using that attack. I think there will be several special attack animation like this in game. It's so awesome. It's like using ultimate moves in fighting games.
That would make more sense if it was a special attack you can't just do any time.

Rea

Nah that's not it. Her hair, the shadows cast by the straw armor around her shoulders... random pieces of armor in places, sometimes the plants. It's a shimmering sort of effect super common in upscaling, and why I don't use DLSS on PC.

Yea, come to think of it, after watching it again, i also noticed them. Lol.
Hopefully they will touch up and polish those imperfections. Anyway, it still looks mind blowing. I can't imagine how GG gonna downgrade this to run on ps4.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ok, just watched the uploaded video of this, and yeah, it does look pretty damn good. But it's very obviously not native 4K (tons of shimmering everywhere, and a rather noisy image overall), which is fine, but given that it's also 30fps it's a bit disappointing.

Will be interesting to see how the PS4 version compares.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Gold Member
the stream is so people dont pull a Road to PS5 and leak all the details by skipping ahead like they did with the tflops count.

this way everyone gets to have a shared experience like a live e3 press conference.

as for why this isnt in 4k. i believe its a youtube limitation. you will have to bring it up with Google because even MS has to abide by the same rules. the 4k version went live immediately after the stream ended. this is on youtube.
Not worth the trade off.... especially when they announced absolutely nothing at the end. I just watched the 4K version... and it was SO MUCH better than the max stream quality.. and they (as usual) didn't even bother with the HDR on that version either (another dumb move). You only get ONE chance at a first impression. 1080p stream on YouTube is blowing that chance.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Yea, come to think of it, after watching it again, i also noticed them. Lol.
Hopefully they will touch up and polish those imperfections. Anyway, it still looks mind blowing. I can't imagine how GG gonna downgrade this to run on ps4.
It's one of those "once you see it you can't unsee" things.. or maybe some people just legit can't see it.. because I know a lot of people I trust who love DLSS and I don't think they are some nVidia fanboy, and they just don't know WTF I'm talking about.

The action looks amazing though and honestly I don't notice shit during the gameplay sections.. it's in the cinematic portions where I see the shimmering effect. (although the part where she's sneaking up on the dinosaur she disables there is some noticeable shimmering on it's "scales" as they self-shadow.)

Last edited:

HAL-01

I guess the game is just constantly playing cutscenes mid-fight every time you get grabbed, or do stealth kills, or capture a creature. They also zoom in and play a 2 second animation. It surely makes more sense to act as if they’re cutscenes than to just call it gameplay.

/s

Last edited:

Rea

It's one of those "once you see it you can't unsee" things.. or maybe some people just legit can't see it.. because I know a lot of people I trust who love DLSS and I don't think they are some nVidia fanboy, and they just don't know WTF I'm talking about.

The action looks amazing though and honestly I don't notice shit during the gameplay sections.. it's in the cinematic portions where I see the shimmering effect. (although the part where she's sneaking up on the dinosaur she disables there is some noticeable shimmering on it's "scales" as they self-shadow.)
God Damn it! You spoiled my eyes, there you go. LoL.
I honestly didn't notice them until you said it then i watch again, definitely notice them.
You're right, there's looks like low quality self shadows shimmering. It can be fixed with RT shadows but I think its too costly for an open world game.

noise36

I guess the game is just constantly playing cutscenes mid-fight every time you get grabbed, or do stealth kills, or capture a creature. They also zoom in and play a 2 second animation. It surely makes more sense to act as if they’re cutscenes than to just call it gameplay.
That is literally the definition of a cut scene, a non interactive event or scene that breaks up actual game play. Yes it's in the game engine and looks great, anyway nothing more to say from me on this.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
That is literally the definition of a cut scene, a non interactive event or scene that breaks up actual game play. Yes it's in the game engine and looks great, anyway nothing more to say from me on this.
No it isn't because it isn't in a set position. Cut scenes also usually swap models for higher res ones which this did not. It's a kill cam type action like they do in assassin's creed and 1000 other games it just looks way way better.

Last edited:

Stooky

thats facialhair/peach fuzz. uprez artifacts don't catch light like that.

Last edited:

Zadom

Yeah it's why I generally don't use DLSS on PC.. I'm super sensitive to them.. my eyes just go right to them and then my brain can't help but be looking out for artifacts while I'm playing.

Hopefully a native lower-res option is available.
IntentionalPun, you should be really jealous of me. When I hear you guys complain about artifacts and resolution, I’m in the back nodding and saying you’re right. In reality I can’t tell the difference. All I’m thinking is “Man, these games look better than my Sega Genesis games”, and I’m happy. I hope it’s from being a little older and not being a technical moron.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member

Needs a few tweaks and tickles here and there to tighten things up, but its definitely a golden goose egg.

Top Bottom