• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West State of Play announced for May 27th

kyliethicc

No confirmation yet, but I can guarantee that there will be a 60 FPS mode. Sony hasn't released a single PS5 game with only a 30 FPS mode so far. Besides, this is a cross-generation game. PS4 will be at 30 FPS. PS5 will surely have a 60 FPS mode, minus 4K and ray tracing.
I hope its like this:

PS4 version (same as HZD):
PS4 - native 1080p @ 30 Hz
PS4 Pro - checkerboard 4K @ 30

PS5 version:
PS5 resolution - native 4K @ 30
PS5 performance - checkerboard 4K @ 60

I0CXffz.gif

You are showing exactly the moment which has slightly disappointed me, destruction effect is nice, but all the pieces after destruction disappeared. And a new time, the impact from Aloy on folliage is very limitation. It's beautiful, but that's thing showing that remain in the heart a cross gen game.
Also, I'm affraid for my ps4 pro, she will suicide with the game... Already so noisy with old games... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Imtjnotu

Looks good but still needs lot of improvement:

* Many places Aloy and environment don't mix organically. Feels as if Aloy is separate from the environment and is not fitting well with the objects around.
* Way too colorful in some scenes. Felt like Immortal Fenyx Rising in some places.
* Melee combat still feels bad and clunky.
* Hitboxes are horrible. In the mammoth fight Aloy just went through several objects without showing any impact or knock back.
* Taking control of machines still feels like simple. The device connect and hacking system should feel more attached rather than how it is now. The animation needs to show proper physical contact and wires/tentacles plugging in the machine system to hack.
* Still the climbing system seems based on contact points rather than free climb like in BotW and Genshin Impact. Grapple hook system should give some freedom but need to see more of it. Glider seems nice.
* Bow as main weapon was a given but they should put some other better melee weapon along with the spear. We should be able to craft different weapons (melee/ranged) from machine parts rather than just use them temporarily during fights.
Gotta admit there are some solid points in here

MastaKiiLA

And we have a map. Nice variety.

W4VGDAh.jpg

Will be interesting to see why they seem to have added a very large lake (or sea) in central California to almost split the land mass.

Also seems to be teasing that she's headed south to the Los Angeles area, eventually.

zKGowdN.jpg
jGAzXUH.jpg
I assume the lake is along the San Andreas fault. Thanks for the map pic. Once someone pointed out that the numbers were coordinates, I googled a few of them during the preshow.

HAL-01

No confirmation yet, but I can guarantee that there will be a 60 FPS mode. Sony hasn't released a single PS5 game with only a 30 FPS mode so far. Besides, this is a cross-generation game. PS4 will be at 30 FPS. PS5 will surely have a 60 FPS mode, minus 4K and ray tracing.
It’s even more likely considering HZD already has performance and resolution modes. They’re both locked at 30 because PS4, but that’s a precedent

Watched the video. Graphics looks amazing but those cutscenes everywhere...
I hope there will be more gameplay and much less cutscenes that interrupt gameplay.

GymWolf

I don't wanna be a debbie downer but why people is talking about major destruction improvement?! Did i miss something or just people never played the original game??

Because in the first one you can destroy various sized rocks, various plants (with leaves physics), some trees, small wood houses and many other things, when you encounter the goliath for the first time he literally destroy the gigantic metal structures where aloy stands...

Where the fuck people saw this improved distruction? For that wall that the mammouth destroy with debris that disappear immediately?! How is different from the dinobots destroying big rocks in the first one?!

Sometimes i have the impression that a lot of people never played the original one when they say zero physics or destruction...

I watched the trailer 3 times and the only distruction was the wall and when she throw a granade to the wood barrier in the mammouth.

Did i miss any other major destruction in the trailer? Honest question guys.

GymWolf

People think ratchet looks better than this?

I mean, I love ratchet and I guess the target of looking like a cg cartoon is met but aloud model looks insane on this.
Ratchet has that pixar cg looking but imo this looks better overall.

P.s. and people in here thought that returnal looked nextgen, lmao.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Ratchet has that pixar cg looking but imo this looks better overall.

P.s. and people in here thought that returnal looked nextgen, lmao.
Next gen visuals will cover a spectrum, just like current gen and last gen and so on. Returnal very much looks next gen. There's nothing else on previous systems that looks that good at 60fps. That's pretty much the definition of next generation; looking better than what came before.

Last edited:

Ultra Donny

Looks so good. Really impressed with the graphics. Looks fun as well. But why is she commentating on everything she does, “- I have to do that. -Go there, -I have to get to the high ground” Besides that it looks awesome.

GymWolf

Next gen visuals will cover a spectrum, just like current gen and last gen and so on. Returnal very much looks next gen. There's nothing else on previous systems that looks that good at 60fps. That's pretty much the definition of next generation; looking better than what came before.
You really need to play more games if you think that returnal looks better than a lot of old gen games...and the game doesn't keep up 60 frames for shit with hell on screen, same for the fake dynamic 4k.

In a different topic i posted the close up of some enemy models and they were noticeably inferior to current gen stuff, same for the environment textures.

The only "impressive" thing are the cartoony laser bubbles who fill an area with a lot of enemies on screen and some of the alien planet art style.

Days gone, gow, tsushima and all the other ps4 games at 60 frames on ps5 looks all better than returnal and they are mostly full fledged open world games.

You really don't buy returnal for the graphics dude.

Yoboman

Looks so good. Really impressed with the graphics. Looks fun as well. But why is she commentating on everything she does, “- I have to do that. -Go there, -I have to get to the high ground” Besides that it looks awesome.
That’s how Guerrillas gameplay demos have been for awhile, even if that doesn’t happen in game. And seeing as Horizon sold like a house on fire I’d say they are on to something

dr guildo

You really need to play more games if you think that returnal looks better than a lot of old gen games...and the game doesn't keep up 60 frames for shit with hell on screen, same for the fake dynamic 4k.

In a different topic i posted the close up of some enemy models and they were noticeably inferior to current gen stuff, same for the environment textures.

The only "impressive" thing are the cartoony laser bubbles who fill an area with a lot of enemies on screen and some of the alien planet art style.

Days gone, gow, tsushima and all the other ps4 games at 60 frames on ps5 looks all better than returnal and they are mostly full fledged open world games.

I still don't get why people are still seeking for native 4K when even DF couldn't guess the native resolution of the UE5 demo. What a waste of ressources. I hope games will be native 1080p feat reconstruction tech ala DLSS 2.0. Sometimes we have to get a smart approach of things, I mean, why to waste ressources for just wasting, if the result is the same by using tricks ?

Last edited:

Ultra Donny

That’s how Guerrillas gameplay demos have been for awhile, even if that doesn’t happen in game. And seeing as Horizon sold like a house on fire I’d say they are on to something
Good, can’t remember that being the case in the first game. Yeah, especially now when they release outside the PlayStation ecosystem and to clarify, I think it looks good and the comment thing on her actions was nitpicking on a otherwise stellar gameplay reveal.

GymWolf

I still don't get why people are still seeking for native 4K when even DF couldn't guess the native resolution of the UE5 demo. What a waste of ressources. I hope games will be native 1080p feat reconstruction tech ala DLSS 2.0. Sometimes we have to get a smart approach of things, I mean, why to waste ressources for just wasting, if the result is the same by using tricks ?
Yeah, on console i'm perfectly okay with native 1440p.

The fact is, you need a very good upscaling system to upscale from 1080p to 4k and sony checkboard is still not there yet, the difference in clarity between DG pc and DG 4k check is pretty noticeable.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

The fact is, you need a very good upscaling system to upscale from 1080p to 4k and sony checkboard is still not there yet, the difference in clarity between DG pc and DG 4k check is pretty noticeable.
But Days Gone is the only Sony 1st party game that uses Unreal Engine. That could be a factor.

The checkerboarding used by Guerrilla, Santa Monica, Sucker Punch, and Polyphony on their respective engines all look very good.

I think the new footage we have of HFW is native 4K, but if its 4K CB, well then its very sharp and good looking.

dr guildo

The DFgate with UE demo tells us that the future belongs to reconstruction techniques. And remember, reality@720p will be always superior than CGI@16k.

MastaKiiLA

Well, I'm sure you won't need a next-gen console, with the exhaustive list of X1X and PS4P games that look better than Returnal, while also running at 60fps.

Maybe you miss my point, as you refer to 30fps current gen games running at 60fps on next-gen consoles. They didn't run at 60fps on current gen machines right? So that means you can't find anything on the current gen at 60fps, that looks better than Returnal. I'm not a master linguist, but by definition, that should make Returnal's visuals next-gen, as they exceed what was possible on the current gen. Unless there exists some imaginary intermediate state between current gen and next gen, where a game like Returnal resides visually. Schrodinger's gen, I guess.

This silly semantic trick is some bizarre dance that gamers have seemingly invented to cope with the ever-shrinking bumps in graphical fidelity with each new generation of consoles. But the simple definition used in the past should still apply today. If it wasn't possible on the existing consoles, then it resides in the realm of the new consoles.; ergo, next gen.

GymWolf

Well, I'm sure you won't need a next-gen console, with the exhaustive list of X1X and PS4P games that look better than Returnal, while also running at 60fps.

Maybe you miss my point, as you refer to 30fps current gen games running at 60fps on next-gen consoles. They didn't run at 60fps on current gen machines right? So that means you can't find anything on the current gen at 60fps, that looks better than Returnal. I'm not a master linguist, but by definition, that should make Returnal's visuals next-gen, as they exceed what was possible on the current gen. Unless there exists some imaginary intermediate state between current gen and next gen, where a game like Returnal resides visually. Schrodinger's gen, I guess.

This silly semantic trick is some bizarre dance that gamers have seemingly invented to cope with the ever-shrinking bumps in graphical fidelity with each new generation of consoles. But the simple definition used in the past should still apply today. If it wasn't possible on the existing consoles, then it resides in the realm of the new consoles.; ergo, next gen.
I already possess a ps5 to play games with far better graphic than returnal like demons remake or morales, like i said, you don't buy that game for the graphic.

And like i said, returnal doesn't have stable 60 frames or locked 4k, so isn't doing anything more than a more stable performance mode for gow on ps4 or doom returnal who absolutely doesn't look worse than returnal, prolly the opposite.

We can argue about semantics, but a ps4 title with zero graphic upgrades looking better than a full fledged ps5 game is enough proof for me to say that returnal doesn't look that impressive or next gen, 60 frames or not.

I don't get the last part but if you are talking about diminishing returns, yes i think that narrative is utter bullshit when we are nowhere near movies cg tier and even more far away from photorealism during pure unscripted gameplay.
People says this shit over and over just to be impressed by the usual ND, SM etc. over and over, it's almost poetic.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
And remember, reality@720p will be always superior than CGI@16k.

But still, watching the same movie from DVD, BD and UHD shows staggering difference, with all the tiny tiny details like skin wrinkles, pores, clothes fabrics, sand grains and so on being visible in the latter. If you put a lot of details into a game and want to expose them on the screen, high resolution is the the only way to do it. As seen with the 1080p stream vs uploaded 4K footage - same game, MUCH better end result.

tbh guerrilla are genius , the cartoon esq colours , make the game sparkle, yet it is so organic , guerrilla , if you read this , thank you people , sending love , now leak us a ps5 killzone ;P x

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yeah, sure...

Thank you.

See, this is what happens when you only wanna focus on the faults.

Life comes at you fast.

Be critical, have opinions. Thats never a bad thing. But at least actually look for the faults first before throwing out criticisms.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Finally got a chance to see this, with so much foliage it looks buns with YT compression but should look really nice natively. Models look really nice and the postfx are gorge

harmny

Banned
WAY off.

6vrAh1V.gif

YNHalKY.gif

L5YUjwu.gif

5reHBAE.gif

6c5f500017f315061113b5b7cc823407f67bbdee.gifv

Remember, WAY off.

sid-phillips-personnage-toy-story-08-1556632257.jpg

MV5BZTMzN2Q0MGMtNWYwOS00Y2U3LTljZmUtN2ViNTFhNGExZWVkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_.jpg

1443_5_1080p.jpg

1443_9_1080p.jpg

Might want to check that user post history. Then take a shot for every "Sony fanboys" and let me know if you're still alive after a few minutes.

I own a ps5 and 0 xboxes. I also own HZD on both ps4 and pc

If you mean to say it looks better than 15 year old cgi then yes. It does. But it's 2021.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Are people seriously concerned about it suddenly turning into a linear game? There’s no way
There were locations marked on the map (SF, Florida and Caribbean?). I'm sure you select the area, it loads and there is a smaller open world there. I doubt you walk from SF to Florida.

dr guildo

But still, watching the same movie from DVD, BD and UHD shows staggering difference, with all the tiny tiny details like skin wrinkles, pores, clothes fabrics, sand grains and so on being visible in the latter. If you put a lot of details into a game and want to expose them on the screen, high resolution is the the only way to do it. As seen with the 1080p stream vs uploaded 4K footage - same game, MUCH better end result.
Because you changed the rules, I was comparing two differents thing@ different resolutions, not the same thing@different resolutions. :messenger_winking:

People think ratchet looks better than this?

I mean, I love ratchet and I guess the target of looking like a cg cartoon is met but aloud model looks insane on this.

In some ways it does. Like the RT that's used in Ratchet for example. Then there's all next gen I/O stuff that while doesn't exactly make the visuals better it does change the games design.

But either way PS5 owners have access to both so it really doesn't matter if one looks better than the other.

SSfox

So people say Horizon FW looks current gen, and then when i reply to those i got warning from mods??!!! DUH!!!

I see people shit and write misinformation all day about PlayStation but i never use the report function, while i disagree with those obviously but i think people have the right to say whatever they feel, even if it will always hurts other people feeling but freedom of expression is necessary, imo at least.

Top Bottom