• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn becoming a movie

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/games/exclusive-horizon-zero-dawn-movie.html

Think this was rumoured a year ago originally but they seem to have a source confirming now. Jennifer Lawrence was originally tipped to be Aloy but dunno if that was just speculation.

According to one of our trusted and proven inside sources, Sony is developing a movie based on Horizon Zero Dawn. This would line up with other plans we have exclusively revealed regarding Sony developing a Demon’s Souls movie as well. It would appear that Sony is taking a hard look at their inventory of intellectual properties and realizing that a big untapped well of potential is in the video games that they own the rights to. With their shared deal with Marvel regarding Spider-Man, they are somewhat left without a lot of other franchise properties that they wholly control. Looking to their popular video game franchises for inspiration makes a lot of sense.

more at link...

Guilty_AI

IyaPan-01_01.28_2018.09.03_13.27.26.jpg

seriously, stop with the game movies. Even demon souls? What the heck

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
95% of video game movies "in the works" never materialize. A lot of ideas and scripts are pitched around in Hollywood all the time, but most are never picked up by producers to begin with, and even if they are production is often delayed again and again, because these are considered high-cost and high-risk projects.

It doesn't help that the overwhelming majority of video game movies bombed hard, and that for some reason most movie critics make a point to bash every single one of them way harder than they objectively deserve (even when they are mediocre to begin with).

Thief1987

Seems like this is Sony strategy for growing their franchises visibility.
You think PlayStation is the only part of Sony that makes money? Doesn't sound accurate to me.

And isn't it the case that most movies are financed through investors.
No, all divisions make money, maybe except mobile, not sure. But Playstation and Semiconductors make more than a half of Sony's profit.

What's with the desire to make movie adaptations of video games anyway?

Is it really just the case that a new movie can make a few million bucks extra if its based on an already established brand name? So it's easier to script and plan a cookie cutter movie and then dress it up with references to a pre-existing brand?

I don't see how a Horizon movie would be able to condense the lore and basic story etc into just a 2 hour movie. So it would basically be a kind of different story but with plenty of references for fans of the game to clap at.

Demons Souls would be the same. Hey everyone seems to like this 30 hour experience where you build your stats and choose your weapons and armour and explore the world so lets condense that down into a 2 hour action movie. I wonder how many bosses they would be able to squeeze into the running time and if any of those would be like the ones in the game. I guess not because the egos in Hollywood would still be determined to do their own thing with it.

Maybe Dark Souls could be like Groundhog Day but without the comedy and a fantasy coat of paint?

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
All that Playstation money being used to buy anime, produce movies, tv shows, music. It's amazing.
Sony Pictures is part of Sony. Playstation is part of Sony.

Why make films of other IPs when they can use their own and use it as free advertisement for Horizon PC and Horizon 2?

The film will probably be shit, but when aren't video game films shit?

🤷‍♂️

turtlepowa

Banned
What's with the desire to make movie adaptations of video games anyway?

Is it really just the case that a new movie can make a few million bucks extra if its based on an already established brand name? So it's easier to script and plan a cookie cutter movie and then dress it up with references to a pre-existing brand?
Sony spends absolutely insane amounts of money on marketing their games. So even if you are not a gamer, chances are high you already saw a Horizon or Uncharted billboard in your town or a tv spot and know the brand. Now make a movie + marketing with let's say half of the game's marketing budget. It doesn't even have to be good, some popcorn braindead IMDB 5/10 will be enough to make profit.

supernova8

Banned
Source: https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/games/exclusive-horizon-zero-dawn-movie.html

Think this was rumoured a year ago originally but they seem to have a source confirming now. Jennifer Lawrence was originally tipped to be Aloy but dunno if that was just speculation.

According to one of our trusted and proven inside sources, Sony is developing a movie based on Horizon Zero Dawn. This would line up with other plans we have exclusively revealed regarding Sony developing a Demon’s Souls movie as well. It would appear that Sony is taking a hard look at their inventory of intellectual properties and realizing that a big untapped well of potential is in the video games that they own the rights to. With their shared deal with Marvel regarding Spider-Man, they are somewhat left without a lot of other franchise properties that they wholly control. Looking to their popular video game franchises for inspiration makes a lot of sense.

more at link...
I somehow imagine it'll be as stupid as the recent Monster Hunter movie though

Life

Meh - the world was never really believable nor made much sense. You can overlook it in a videogame but a movie? Not so much.

People abandoning science, technology, and turning into devout (ignorant) pagans - in just a few generations? It's laughable.....

Interfectum

Can't wait for Sony to do their own connected PlayStation Movie Universe with all this shit.

I'm not sure what these movies have to offer that the games didn't already do and none of these stories are particularly good enough to warrant a movie, tv show or book.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Valonquar

XGkfaUJ.jpg

At least it's more recent than Uncharted. Honestly if Hollywood can't get it together before a game loses total relevance I hardly see the point. Especially when they are always shit tier movies.

Kagey K

Banned
Can't wait for Sony to do their own connected PlayStation Movie Universe with all this shit.

I'm not sure what these movies have to offer that the games didn't already do and none of these stories are particularly good enough to warrant a movie, tv show or book.
They can get all that pesky gameplay out of the way and do what they really want to do.

/s

Last edited:
Top Bottom