• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn - free to download and keep from April 19 to May 14 + 9 other free games

wd40

Yes It's loved because it's a fantastic puzzle game as good as The Talos Principle. The "story" can be ignored.
oh right, the talos principles story is really cool, I loved how it's themes tied directly into the gameplay. I could hardly believe croteam were behind it lol, being able to make serious sam, and then THAT shows some major skill.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
of all these games, some of which are really good, you chose Horizon Zero Fun as the thread title game?

guys, ignore that mediocre wannabe Ubisoft game and play The Witness, which is a sublime puzzle game

Rez and Subnautica are also great
Even if you're hard to indies it's hard to argue that Horizon is the biggest game they're giving away. Plus The Witness isn't that big of a deal since it was offered to PS+ subscribers not that long ago.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

THEAP99 THEAP99
Judge Judy Reaction GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Niiiice. Never played Witness despite it being part of the PS4 hype cycle, I'll be playing on PS5 lmao.
Haha. Nothing wrong with playing old games.

Our fam never had a PC in the 80s (IBM based). We had an Apple. But I remember seeing as a kid my older brothers playing Rogue at our family friend's house on their computer. This must had been the mid 80s. Didnt interest me, but they loved it even though the game looked like shit.

Fast forward, and I never played the game until I eventually downloaded off the net in probably 2002. lol

reezoo

Man I can’t believe the value I am getting after purchasing PS5 + PS+. I skipped the PS4 due to switch and planned to buy PS5 + all the exclusives / good games instead just bought PS5/PS+ and I have a library I can spend years playing. Crazy times!

As someone who missed out during the PS4 era (had an XB1), these are some damn nice giveaways to help build up the library if it ever becomes possible to buy a PS5.

While probably unlikely I'd love to see Nintendo join in and start throwing out free games or at least some nice deals.

Last edited:

Aenima

I am sorry but I am not impressed by what Sony is doing. Especially when things are opening up and people want to go outside. Too little too late, Spring is coming
This is a campaign for ppl to PLAY AT HOME. Not go outside and bring corona home.
Even when they give stuff for free, thers always someone crying for more. Its sad and show the level of maturity some ppl have.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
That's a great list man. Always been interested in Astrobot in particular, is PSVR required for that or can I just play it without?

Just to clarify, we keep these forever right or is it just between March - April & then they get locked on our consoles until we buy them again?

Rayderism

I just generally add any games I don't already own to my library, even if I never intend to actually install them. I mean, why not? Free is good. Right?

ToadMan

Sure, but also imagine a customer getting a PS5 and say a month or so of PS+ (redeem all now, start playing the PS+ games you need PS+ active for first if you want to minimise the money you spend on the subscription).

This is what they get for free and can keep without PS+:
  • Astro’s Play Room
  • Abzu
  • Enter the Gungeon
  • The Witness
  • Subnautica
  • Moss
  • Rez Infinite
  • Astro Bot: Rescue Mission
  • Thumper
  • Paper Beast
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn
  • Ratchet and Clank
That is 12 free games ( one from the PS+ collection and one pre-installed).

Then you have the following from your PS+ Collection exclusive to PS5 owners:
  • Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Battlefield 1
  • Bloodborne
  • Call of Duty Black Ops III Zombies Chronicles
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
  • Days Gone
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • Fallout 4
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • God of War
  • inFAMOUS: Second Son
  • The Last Guardian
  • The Last of Us Remastered
  • Monster Hunter: World
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Persona 5
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • Until Dawn

Then you have your PS+ games for March:
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Marquette
  • Remnant: From the Ashes
  • Farpoint
  • Destruction: All Stars

Not a bad list at all.

Yeah this is a good deal. If I’ve understood this correctly, the non-ps plus stuff isn’t hidden behind a subscription and won’t disappear from your account in future.

You’ll be able to play all these on PS6 and beyond without giving Sony another penny.

So there is a lot of value there. I wonder how long can Sony support these giveaways....?

Free stuff is always good but surely Sony need to be thinking about competing with gamepass now

You mean MS improving Gamepass to compete with Sony right?

Sony are giving you these games - you don’t have to pay another penny, it’s not a rental and they won’t be taken away.

MS get you to pay, they remove games from the service and when you stop paying you own exactly nothing.

If you add up the value of the games Sony has given away for free since the PS5 launch, it’s much more value than Gamepass and you keep them for good. You can play them on PS6 if you want without giving Sony one more cent for them.

Gamepass is looking expensive by comparison.

Last edited:

FranXico

Gamepass is looking expensive by comparison
ALL subscription services ARE expensive. It's all about giving the consumer the impression that they're getting more for less, while they actually get very little out of the money they've spent long term.

It's the same logic behind PSNow, Netflix, Disney+, what have you.

Last edited:

Doczu

Wow, that's a nice pack of games. Can't wait to try Horizon for the first dtime, Subnautica and Enter the Gungeon for some co-op madness.

And maybe the psvr games once i get my helm...

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Meh, I have GamePass and it's overrated. Most of the games there I played long before they came to the service. The vast majority you can buy outright forever for less than the price of renting a month of GP.

Also, sometimes I'll remember a game I saw on GP and I'll decide to finally give it a play, only to find it's been taken off the service. Most games just show up for a short time, then go away. At least with PS+ the games are there for whenever you are currently subscribed.
I felt like I was tricked into subbing to Gamepass because all the posts I was reading made it sound irresistible Lol but everything I was interested in on there I had already played or owned besides FH4 and the older Metal Gears

GymWolf

I don't care about puzzle games but in the past i had a friend who loved the genre and he basically said that the witness is the best puzzle game of all time, take that as you want.

ToadMan

ALL subscription services ARE expensive. It's all about giving the consumer the impression that they're getting more for less, while they actually get very little out of the money they've spent long term.

It's the same logic behind PSNow, Netflix, Disney+, what have you.

Yep totally agree.

RGB'D

Sweet. The only disc game that I didn't have access to from PS4 because of the PS+ collection was horizon and my wife wanted to play it. I only recently reactivated PS+ when I got PS5 Digital (couldn't find disc). I was hoping it would be available again.

Top Bottom