• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn remake for PS5 is not being developed by Guerrilla Games – Rumour

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

Is this really necessary?

If Sony deems it necessary then yes, it's necessary. The end.
Any takes we have on this are completely irrelevant. It's their money and staff going into doing this remaster.

On top of that, the existence of this project isn't having any appreciable impact on the studio and their capacity to release content. We dunno who might be doing the remaster, but Guerrilla themselves have just released Horizon FW this year, are collaborating on Horizon CotM releasing in February on VR, are releasing Horizon FW Burning Shores in April, are working on an online Horizon game, and would be collaborating with Netflix on the upcoming Horizon Netflix series. They very well could be working on more, like Horizon 3, or other IP content, but they've got a lot going on.

The existence of this project has no ill effect on anyone whining about why this thing exists, but will have a positive effect on anyone who chooses to either replay Horizon ZD remaster, or gets to experience this as their first foray into the franchise.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
b41PCvR.gif

Lions Gate

Horizon-Zero-Dawn-1140x815.jpg

source

Horizon Zero Dawn may have a PS5 remake in the works, but it would not be developed by Guerrilla, according to an insider.

Well-known journalist and insider Colin Moriarty , host of the Sacred Symbols podcast, in the new episode of the program revealed one small but interesting detail regarding the Horizon: Zero Dawn remake for PlayStation 5, rumors about which first appeared in early October.

Moriarty cannot confirm the details of the project with complete certainty, but claims that the development of the updated game is being carried out without the direct involvement of Guerrilla Games.

According to him, he heard that some other team is working on a remake of Horizon: Zero Dawn, but did not disclose who exactly, so as not to substitute his source.

At the same time, Guerrilla itself is currently also immersed in work on the franchise.
ryan reynolds hd GIF

I just can't believe this rumor at all, it's so absurd. A 2017 PS4 game that no one is asking to replay... we just played the sequel 10 month ago, and HZD just came out on PC.
What's probably happening is that some studio is helping Guerrilla with the Horizon online game using assets from the first game, and somehow this got to "insider's" ears as being a full remake.

If by any chance the remake rumor is true, I truly hope it sells really badly. I just can't support this level of greediness.

Last edited:

vivftp

I just can't believe this rumor at all, it's so absurd. A 2017 PS4 game that no one is asking to replay... we just played the sequel 10 month ago, and HZD just came out on PC.
What's probably happening is that some studio is helping Guerrilla with the Horizon online game using assets from the first game, and somehow this got to "insider's" ears as being a full remake.

If by any chance the remake rumor is true, I truly hope it sells really badly. I just can't support this level of greediness.
Remaster, going by the original leaked document

The best guess to why they're doing it is to prepare for a whole new wave of people who will want to play the first game after the Horizon Netflix series drops.

Also, lol, I can't take anyone who's calling this "greed" seriously. Is Sony making the original release of Horizon Zero Dawn disappear from the console/PC stores? Are they forcefully removing copies from peoples machines and breaking their discs? Are they holding people at gunpoint to force them to buy this remaster (assuming there's even any extra cost)? Or are they going to put out an update to a popular game with a tiny fraction of their output capacity that harms no one but benefits fans and newcomers to the franchise?

I hate to be harsh, but calling this "greed" is moronic and shortsighted.

Remaster, going by the original leaked document

The best guess to why they're doing it is to prepare for a whole new wave of people who will want to play the first game after the Horizon Netflix series drops.

Also, lol, I can't take anyone who's calling this "greed" seriously. Is Sony making the original release of Horizon Zero Dawn disappear from the console/PC stores? Are they forcefully removing copies from peoples machines and breaking their discs? Are they holding people at gunpoint to force them to buy this remaster (assuming there's even any extra cost)? Or are they going to put out an update to a popular game with a tiny fraction of their output capacity that harms no one but benefits fans and newcomers to the franchise?

I hate to be harsh, but calling this "greed" is moronic and shortsighted.
Will they sell the game for the same price a new player can pay on HZD for ps4 right now? A game that by the way runs perfectly well on ps5. There is absolutely no excuse to remake or even remaster this game, they are just 'renewing' it's 70 USD price point. If you can't see this as greed, I think you are being moronic and shortsighted.

vivftp

Will they sell the game for the same price a new player can pay on HZD for ps4 right now? A game that by the way runs perfectly well on ps5. There is absolutely no excuse to remake or even remaster this game, they are just 'renewing' it's 70 USD price point. If you can't see this as greed, I think you are being moronic and shortsighted.

And you're pulling a random figure out of your arse. Again, the leaked document that mentioned this project called it a remaster, not a remake (ala TLOU Part 1). We can only speculate how much (if at all) this will cost as we have absolutely zero actual info on it. Wasting energy to play the "what if" game by assigning a random price to it is indeed moronic and shortsighted.

This has always been the problem with forums like this. People don't know how to properly assimilate shards of data and half truths that we call rumors and leaks. Folks don't know how to take this data in stride and for what it is. Then speculation and ass-pulled nonsense starts getting flung about and we wind up with a bunch of people whining and crying over crap that they mostly made up.

Garibaldi

The only thing Zero Dawn needs is the mocap on the character interactions redoing. They look terribly wooden compared to Forbidden West. Everything else is completely fine for at least another two generations imo.

Woggleman

I just don't get it. The PS5 has almost complete backward compatibility with PS4 games and they are able to patch in enhancements that are exclusive to PS5 so why are they doing this. I sort of understood during the PS4 era when there was no backward compatibility with PS3 games but there is no reason now.

And you're pulling a random figure out of your arse. Again, the leaked document that mentioned this project called it a remaster, not a remake (ala TLOU Part 1). We can only speculate how much (if at all) this will cost as we have absolutely zero actual info on it. Wasting energy to play the "what if" game by assigning a random price to it is indeed moronic and shortsighted.

This has always been the problem with forums like this. People don't know how to properly assimilate shards of data and half truths that we call rumors and leaks. Folks don't know how to take this data in stride and for what it is. Then speculation and ass-pulled nonsense starts getting flung about and we wind up with a bunch of people whining and crying over crap that they mostly made up.
It's not unreasonable to speculate on a new price, since they've done this before... for that reason is also not unreasonable to say it's greed as well.

There is nothing wrong with speculating on a internet forum. I am here to voice my opinion as a consumer, and I am saying that IF this is just an excuse to charge 70 USD for a 2017 game, I see it as greed. I can also say that: IF they charge the same price we can pay right now for HZD, I will be very happy for those who haven't played it yet. Does that sound more acceptable to you?

I get the feeling you are too personally invested in this. Seems like you took my personal opinion (that I don't believe this is true, and if it is I can't support it) as a personal attack, since you absolutely had to add that I am a moron, shortsighted, AND I can't assimilate what I read on the internet. Get over yourself and stop thinking everyone is an idiot.

Anyway I'm done derailing this.

A remake? Allow me to doubt...A remaster would be far more likely.
Having said that, the ways of Sony are inscrutable.

Last edited:

vivftp

It's not unreasonable to speculate on a new price, since they've done this before... for that reason is also not unreasonable to say it's greed as well.

There is nothing wrong with speculating on a internet forum. I am here to voice my opinion as a consumer, and I am saying that IF this is just an excuse to charge 70 USD for a 2017 game, I see it as greed. I can also say that: IF they charge the same price we can pay right now for HZD, I will be very happy for those who haven't played it yet. Does that sound more acceptable to you?

I get the feeling you are too personally invested in this. Seems like you took my personal opinion (that I don't believe this is true, and if it is I can't support it) as a personal attack, since you absolutely had to add that I am a moron, shortsighted, AND I can't assimilate what I read on the internet. Get over yourself and stop thinking everyone is an idiot.

Anyway I'm done derailing this.

My comments on "greed" may have been made in the post quoting you, but they were directed at anyone who chooses to use the term for something like this.

No, it's not unreasonable to speculate on a price. Speculate away. Getting angry over your speculation based off the tiniest shred of information and berating Sony for your speculation, yes that's silly and a waste of energy.

To make my position more clear, I played TLOU on PS3 at launch. I bought and played TLOU Remastered on PS4 at launch. And I bought and played TLOU Part 1 on PS5 at launch. Each time I was perfectly happy to weigh the cost/benefit ratio to me and to part ways with my money to experience this game I love so much and to get a better appreciation of the developers talents.

The market gets to decide what it wants. If Sony does wind up offering this remaster at an additional cost, or even as a full price launch, then the market will decide how worth it this project is. The market still gets to decide if they want to play the original version that's already out, and the market gets to decide if the cost/benefit ratio is worth parting ways with more money. That does NOT make this a cash grab on Sonys part, it makes it a project that they've further sunk time and money into to offer a better version and put it out there for the market to decide if it's worth it. Additionally, not a single person here has any clue what's being done to Horizon Zero Dawn as part of this remaster. Are they upgrading the graphics, character models, enemy AI, combat, audio, accessibility options, instant loading, dualsense haptics to bring it on par with Forbidden West? We have no idea. All we "know" based on this leak is that a remaster of some sort is being worked on by another studio. So again, with us not having a single clue what's being done, and us not having a single clue who's doing it and how much effort is involved (not like it's our business) and us not having a single clue how this will be offered to console and PC owners of the game, why is anyone getting upset over this other than for the sake of wanting to get upset over something?

EDMIX

There is nothing wrong with speculating on a internet forum. I am here to voice my opinion as a consumer, and I am saying that IF this is just an excuse to charge 70 USD for a 2017 game, I see it as greed.

Sure but, I don't see any history of Sony ever selling a remaster at full price unless its with some DLC extra or MP extra or FW along with it or something, even then the fact that the PS5 is BC destorys many people's theory on this.

Just play your PS4 version thru BC....

No one is forcing anyone to buy this to even argue about "greed".

Wouldn't it be greed if they stopped a download for Horizon on PS4 and PS5 AND THEN put this out?

So I think people have a better argument about Overwatch 2 or something, too many ways to play Horizon to make this argument make sense as one of the arguments is literally "PS5 is BC" or "oh but it plays great on PS5 with the update" etc. You mean it has lots of options to play?

There so greedy they gave people even more options? Why not just never put out BC all together if they are sooooo greedy then? All I see with this is its merely another option to play Horizon for those new to the IP.

Most of us wouldn't be out here looking to play the worst version of a game series we are trying to get into. I played Witcher 1 for the first time by getting the "enhanced" version, what would I have to gain playing the worst version? lol Its greedy that CDPR fixed issues and wants to put out a better version with enhancements? but if I have the ability to play that older version, whats the big deal then?

I just don't get it. The PS5 has almost complete backward compatibility with PS4 games

lol I've said this years ago and I find it really funny that people still cite this. So you "don't get it" cause BC has NOTHING to do with remasters. I even recall people making theses comments years ago like "If PS5 is BC, we'll likely not see as much remasters" ignoring that they have little to nothing to do with each other. Its as if you've just assumed no one else exist in the market and this exist to sell it to YOU personally twice or it exist cause you can't play it or something weird like that.

Publishers care about selling a game. If they can make more modes, bring more new consumers in, have fan's double dip etc, they will do it if a market exist. YOU being able to play it already is irrelevant to all of that. I've seen zero evidence of this and its why I wasn't shocked at Ghost Of Tsushima having some remaster or Death Stranding or DMC5 or Judgement or Persona 5.

Oh you can play it already on PS5 thru BC? Annnnnnnd fuck does Sega care about that? Capcom? They don't care YOU can play it, many who didn't play it before and want new features, modes etc will pay that to play it for the first time, thus the market exist, thus BC has no relevance to that happening or not. We've seen remasters, "enhanced" GOTY editions etc on PC, a platform literally BC by default. So I think people have this idea that the sole reason for a remaster is BC, but that has existed longer then even BC has existed.....if you look back at many, many title "cough" SUPER street fighter, you find this has existed for a very long time. Why any of you thought that was tied to BC is beyond me.

PS3 is BC to PS1...you still saw PS1 titles ported to PSN. Having the ability to play Parasite Eve doesn't mean 100% of PS3 owners own Parasite Eve... I really hope this puts to rest this idea about BC cause I called this shit years ago.

nial

Gold Member
Unless Guerilla goes their way to add another significant expansion to Horizon Zero Dawn, this remaster can't cost more than $30 since the complete edition is already $20. It's probably just a way for Sony to re-release the game for PS5 and throw it around the same time as the TV series to generate more hyyyyype.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Unless Guerilla goes their way to add another significant expansion to Horizon Zero Dawn, this remaster can't cost more than $30 since the complete edition is already $20. It's probably just a way for Sony to re-release the game for PS5 and throw it around the same time as the TV series to generate more hyyyyype.

Maybe, maybe not.

What if they throw in that MP game as some combo?

So...it could be full price if they feel that MP thing is worth it on top of a remaster or something. Though Ghost Of Tsushima didn't have a paid MP thing, its directors cup with the MP and that dlc island thing I recall was full price.

So maybe they see it as Horizon Zero Dawn complete Directors Cut MP edition or something. Hard to say. They might also have some path way like Ghost did to just upgrade to those features, modes etc. If they don't have a pathway to upgrade, ima skip it lol I like HZD, but I don't see me running thru it in a long time to care, I do want to try out that MP mode though.

nial

Gold Member
Maybe, maybe not.

What if they throw in that MP game as some combo?

So...it could be full price if they feel that MP thing is worth it on top of a remaster or something. Though Ghost Of Tsushima didn't have a paid MP thing, its directors cup with the MP and that dlc island thing I recall was full price.

So maybe they see it as Horizon Zero Dawn complete Directors Cut MP edition or something. Hard to say. They might also have some path way like Ghost did to just upgrade to those features, modes etc. If they don't have a pathway to upgrade, ima skip it lol I like HZD, but I don't see me running thru it in a long time to care, I do want to try out that MP mode though.
I feel like the multiplayer thing is going to be a full price standalone game. It would be quite bizarre if they decide to include it in a remaster of the first Horizon.

Last edited:

scydrex

Why? A 2017 game dosen't need a remake. They are other games that need it more. Bloodborne for example i would buy the remake without thinking it even for $70. No thanks Sony...you can keep your remake.

Last edited:

Fake

Hermen is out of touch when it comes to games. Crashing all great stuffs that yosp build with his stupidest ideas. I though it couldn't get worse than tlou remake but oh boy how i was wrong.

I'm all aboard for new IPs and even sequel, but Sony is really out of touch remaking early games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom