• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror fan community.

Has anyone seen Servant? It's produced by M Night Shyamalan and has ron weasley in it. Just finished the 1st season. It's more thriller than horror but I'm shocked it's actually good. This is a Shyamalan dream, getting to have twists at the end of every episode. I felt it actually held up after its big reveals, whereas I thought The Haunting of Hill House was stronger at the start.

While horror is a wide genre, there are a lot of mediums that are excellent at it. Of course, the audio-visual aspects of film and series are probably the best way to experience the scary stuff. However, jump scares are becoming more and more saturated which hurts its value. Comics, books and manga are a great way to experience the scary stuff. Especially with the manga because they provide distrubing imagery with fleshed out stories most of the time. It is scary what went ot the minds of those writers to think of such disturbing imagery lol

Peggies

Gold Member
The Woman horror GIF by Shudder

Anyone seen "The Woman"?
Adaption by Lucky McKee of the Jack Ketchum novel.
Great movie! 9/10

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Not much can scare me like the recent batch of A24 horror films. Hereditary, The Witch, Saint Maud. These are the types of experiences that chill me to the bone. I love some of the classics as well, such as The Exorcist, and I appreciate other types of horror movies, for different reasons, like Halloween for it's visuals and soundtrack.

Always looking for recommendations for truly scary horror films though. I found Under the Skin and Suspiria to both be quite good, but not up to the level I'm personally looking for.

SafeOrAlone SafeOrAlone Man, thanks for the reminder I need to watch Saint Maud. I love Hereditary and The Witch.

Personally, the 'scariest' horror movie I've seen is It Follows. But the one that chilled me and filled me with dread the most was Annihilation. But that's more of an existential horror movie, so I'm not sure it'll hit the same way as Hereditary. What was it you found most frightening about Hereditary?

I really liked these other A24 films: Green Room (claustrophobic, a little gory), The Hole in the Ground (it has one very chilling scene just from dialog between two characters), Midsommar (not exactly scary, kind of like The Witch in that way that it's more about relationships, the reactions of characters, and the meaning of it), and The Lighthouse (not really scary but this movies is just eminently quotable and really well written).

Last edited:
I have not been truly scared by a horror movie since I was young. The original Halloween was easily the scarriest movie for me as I was only 9 and it was played on TV Halloween night in 1981. Parents were out and my older sister thought it would be a hoot for me and my younger sister to watch it. Every closet was checked and left open with the lights on. Then the fear just faded away with each horror movie I watched.

There will always be this once scene from the Exorcist III.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Not much can scare me like the recent batch of A24 horror films. Hereditary, The Witch, Saint Maud. These are the types of experiences that chill me to the bone. I love some of the classics as well, such as The Exorcist, and I appreciate other types of horror movies, for different reasons, like Halloween for it's visuals and soundtrack.

Always looking for recommendations for truly scary horror films though. I found Under the Skin and Suspiria to both be quite good, but not up to the level I'm personally looking for.
The thing with Hereditary for me is it wasn't necessarily scary, just extremely unnerving, tense and disturbing throughout. That honestly seems to scare me more. The fact that there was basically no jump scares and it still managed to evoke such a reaction out of me. Always appreciate that. I don't mind jump scares but a lot of movies just throw them in cheaply and don't build up any tension. Just feels lazy, I guess.

Peggies

Gold Member
The thing with Hereditary for me is it wasn't necessarily scary, just extremely unnerving, tense and disturbing throughout. That honestly seems to scare me more. The fact that there was basically no jump scares and it still managed to evoke such a reaction out of me. Always appreciate that. I don't mind jump scares but a lot of movies just throw them in cheaply and don't build up any tension. Just feels lazy, I guess.
That was a bummer. I was so excited about that movie but then it was weird and pretentious and the only scary thing was the little girl's weird face.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
That was a bummer. I was so excited about that movie but then it was weird and pretentious and the only scary thing was the little girl's weird face.

If you've ever looked into the occult it was kind of interesting from that standpoint. But yea it was more of a drama or thriller than a proper horror film until the final ten minutes.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly didn't feel that way at all, but can see why others may feel that way. Seen plenty of pretentious movies, but never felt that way about Hereditary. Perhaps I went in with better expectations as I had heard beforehand it was more of a thriller than a horror movie, and so I went in better.

I honestly thought the young guy actor was the best. His name escapes me. That scene in the classroom caught me off guard.

drotahorror

I thought this year was gonna be good but Saint Maud was not for me, and neither was Wrong Turn (2021). Very disappointed. Wrong Turn is definitely a reboot in the fullest extent. I don't want to spoil it but it was interesting. Just way too damn long. Some of the writing in the first 3rd was absolutely stupid and sort of funny.

I dunno.
Saint Maude - 4/10
Wrong turn (2021) - 5/10
Psycho Goreman - 5/10

Willy's Wonderland is on my list next.

Last edited:

belmarduk

Happy 30th birthday to Silence of the Lambs....
The whole series was good.. Hannibal Rising included.
The Hannibal show was great. Mads Mikkelson was a very different but equally effective Lector. Haven't watched Clarice yet. Have you, GAF?

Last edited:

Peggies

Gold Member
The Hannibal show was great. Mads Mikkelson was a very different but equally effective Lector. Haven't watched Clarice yet. Have you, GAF?
I really enjoyed the books! Red Dragon was one of my first serial killer stories I read and it hooked me up for good.
I didn't like the series particularly though.

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Seen people that say Silence of the Lambs is overrated online, and to those people:

Sabrina The Teenage Witch Slap GIF

Anthony Hopkins is masterful in that film. I still struggle to see him as just an actor playing a character.

OnionSnake

Banned
Watched "The Love Witch" and "Tammy and the T-Rex" gore cut this weekend. Found Tammy to be hilarious, Love Witch was a little dull but to be fair was pretty drunk at that point.

I really want to watch this but 20 bucks to rent for 2 days,might just wait for the bluray in April.
Willys_wonderland.jpg
Watching this next weekend for a Nic Cage Triple Threat Cage Match event. Mixing it with "Left Behind" and "Bad Lieutenant". going to be fun!

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Did you guys like Hush by Mike Flanagan? I gave it another watch, and I honestly liked it more the second time. I appreciated it more, and how well the characters are portrayed. It's a solid horror film. Just a tad overhyped perhaps.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't know there was any hype for it, I watched it on netflix when it came out thinking it was that other movie Dont Breath lol. Thought it was pretty good, same with Dont Breath when I watched it eventually
Don't Breathe was great! Very intense.

There was hype when it released, a lot of buzz and people saying you need to see it. The first time around I thought it was average (I was expecting something more). With more tempered expectations, I appreciated it more.

Fortunate_Son

Neo Member
Can anyone recommend any solid horror movies? I wanted to watch the new Wrong Turn but it's not out yet. I enjoyed movies like Don't Breathe, A Quiet Place, Hush, some A24 movies like The Wretched/Hereditary. Some of the movies I listed above might not be strictly horror movies.

A lot of A24 movies are really slow and NOT really horror I feel with a few exceptions. I also enjoyed The Grudge and The Ring movies (not the recent remakes).

Any good ones?

EdBennett

Neo Member
Can anyone recommend any solid horror movies? I wanted to watch the new Wrong Turn but it's not out yet. I enjoyed movies like Don't Breathe, A Quiet Place, Hush, some A24 movies like The Wretched/Hereditary. Some of the movies I listed above might not be strictly horror movies.

A lot of A24 movies are really slow and NOT really horror I feel with a few exceptions. I also enjoyed The Grudge and The Ring movies (not the recent remakes).

Any good ones?
Poltergeist (1982).
After priperov, this film came to mind. Intense, good horror movie. The 2015 version is different, but even that might be fine for viewing.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member

Any good ones?
Try The Blackcoat's Daughter. You'll probably like it.

I would say Blackcoat's Daughter is also very slow with not much happening. The end was interesting but overall I wouldn't say it was good.

Fortunate_Son

Neo Member
I would say Blackcoat's Daughter is also very slow with not much happening. The end was interesting but overall I wouldn't say it was good.

That's exactly the issue I have with A24 movies. I feel like their trailers keep me interested but when I actually dive into their movies - it's such a slow-burn. There isn't usually much happening. The build-up to the ending either pays off or falls flat.

I am kind of tired of their movies and the same old formulaic process.

I do have a few exceptions such as Hereditary and The Wretched. I maybe even liked The Witch but that's it.

Anyone else tired of A24 movies?

MeteorVII

bk45PFJ.jpg

Greatest horror anime of all time.

It also happens to be the greatest psychological thriller, crime and drama narrative ever written.

That's exactly the issue I have with A24 movies. I feel like their trailers keep me interested but when I actually dive into their movies - it's such a slow-burn. There isn't usually much happening. The build-up to the ending either pays off or falls flat.

I am kind of tired of their movies and the same old formulaic process.

I do have a few exceptions such as Hereditary and The Wretched. I maybe even liked The Witch but that's it.

Anyone else tired of A24 movies?

It's hard to recommend movies because I'm not sure which subscriptions you have and there's just... so many. I can tell you which to probably avoid though. Although I loved them, Midsommar and The Lighthouse are quite slow, though I am kind of surprised you enjoyed The Witch. It makes me wonder if you'd enjoy The Hole in the Ground. I would say A24's fastest paced tense horror movie is Green Room, which I really enjoyed. It's a bit weird hearing Captain Picard say the n-word though. That's probably the one to watch if you want to try another A24 movie.

I'd also strongly discourage you from watching The Wailing, which is great but incredibly slow. You also shouldn't watch Netflix's Marianne tv series, which is both terrible and exceedingly slow. Also avoid Netflix's Apostle.

Have you seen It Follows? That movie might be uniquely positioned to get under your skin because it's about a monster that only moves at a walking pace. But, it never stops following you... it's very scary.

There's tons of good horror movies and you can make up a list of them just based on what subs you have and their imdb scores (generally above 6 is good). A24 films typically the slowest I've seen so you're probably safe. You can ask about specific titles if you like though.

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I personally don't mind slow-burn horror as long as there is good atmosphere throughout. I prefer that to cheap scares.

OnionSnake

Banned
Watched Candyman and Urban Legend this week, Urban Legend is actually the first movie I can remember seeing in theaters but man it was not good lol. Candyman is a classic though

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Watched Candyman and Urban Legend this week, Urban Legend is actually the first movie I can remember seeing in theaters but man it was not good lol. Candyman is a classic though
Yeah, Urban Legend is probably one of my least favourite slashers. I watched it on a whim a long time ago, and I didn't like it.

Have you ever seen Cry Wolf? It's a tad underrated, great film with some nice twists.

OnionSnake

Banned
Yeah, Urban Legend is probably one of my least favourite slashers. I watched it on a whim a long time ago, and I didn't like it.

Have you ever seen Cry Wolf? It's a tad underrated, great film with some nice twists.

Will add it to the list, have not seen it ! Thanks. Wanted to watch willys wonderland but $20 for a rental... steep !

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I'll likely wait for blu-ray on Willy's Wonderland. Looks like a fun, whacky movie but I would not spend so much on a rental. I'd prefer owning it for that price.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Watching the original Scream on Blu-Ray for the 1000th time. Well, actually, Blu-Ray is a first. It looks SO good compared to DVD! I used to genuinely think Skeet Ulrich and Johnny Depp were related, they looked so similar.

bc64324c07c5bacc8afb3ed0d5388180.jpg

Karma Jawa

I'll likely wait for blu-ray on Willy's Wonderland. Looks like a fun, whacky movie but I would not spend so much on a rental. I'd prefer owning it for that price.
Watched it yesterday.

Doesn't take itself too seriously and is entertaining, over the top fun. Bit of a spiritual ancestor to Evil Dead 2.

I suspect they're in for one hell of a lawsuit from the makers of Five Nights at Freddy's.

NickFire

There's a Spanish film on Netflix called Veronica about a girl who gets possessed. For non-Spanish speakers (like me) you need to read the subtitles. If you are cool with reading subtitles, I recommend giving it a go. It was really well made in my opinion.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
There's a Spanish film on Netflix called Veronica about a girl who gets possessed. For non-Spanish speakers (like me) you need to read the subtitles. If you are cool with reading subtitles, I recommend giving it a go. It was really well made in my opinion.
I saw that a long time ago, I would second the recommendation.

I always tend to find foreign films even scarier, and this was no exception. Shook me to my core so much I'm not sure I can stomach it a second time.

Top Bottom