• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror fan community.

WoodyStare

Saw a great film called Caveat. Genuinely creepy in places.
Thanks for recommending this. I gave it a shot and I was pleasantly surprised. It’s telling that the rabbit toy isn’t even the creepiest thing about the film. Lots of chilling moments, although the ending felt a bit rushed. I’d have told the guy to fuck off the moment he brought out the harness.

Saw this was recently added to shudder so I gave it a go:

MV5BMjE0YjJjNGQtNjQwMy00Zjc4LWE0ZjEtNzFiY2VkM2YyZjA5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTMzOTMzMTg@._V1_.jpg

A cruel, brutal, violent film. Well executed, I would recommend it if you dig that sorta stuff. I enjoyed it.

Speaking of found footage, anyone know of any recent found footage films I may have missed? I think I've seen pretty much every found footage horror film but it's possible some might have slipped through the cracks over the past 2 years as I haven't really been keeping up with new releases since the pandemic started.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Nosferatu in Venice - anyone seen it? Considering burning my seven day trial to Shudder to watch it.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Speaking of found footage, anyone know of any recent found footage films I may have missed? I think I've seen pretty much every found footage horror film but it's possible some might have slipped through the cracks over the past 2 years as I haven't really been keeping up with new releases since the pandemic started.

It wasnt 2 years but I assume you have seen The Borderlands?

Labolas

Been on a binge lately of watching horror movies.

iu

Cursed (2021) was pretty good for a werewolf movie. Unusal way of how the werewolf is formed. (8/10)

Another werewolf movie I was Werewolf Island. Fucking terrible and godawful. Has that laughable indie movie cringe but was painful to through if you expecting a werewolf in this. Easily the worst movie I've seen this year.(1/10)

iu

Violation was another horror flick I saw. It's a revenge movie like I Spit On Your Grave. But way way worse. It tries to be artsy and deep but completely fails. The story is super basic but splice with different times before and after the rape, making it unnecessary and hard to watch. Do not watch this, it's terrible. (3/10)

The_Sadness_%282021%29_poster.jpg

The last movie I watched was The Sadness. And omg this was brutal and I love it. It's like the Crazies but the zombies get off on murdering and raping. Fucking visceral and gory. Doesn't really pull any punches. I think that this is inspired by a comic series call the Crossed. I heavily recommend. (9/10)

Last edited:
VHS 94 was really good if you haven't seen it. I liked it a lot more than Viral, might be my favourite since the first VHS movie.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

I bought the McPherson Tape on Blu Ray at the weekend, it was ok... i suppose, but it was filmed on a fucking 240p video camera and I bought it on Blu Ray like a chump !

913VIQIdvML._AC_SX342_.jpg

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Arise, horror thread!

This looks interesting, and I feel like we haven't had much in the way of occult or satanic movies in a few years

D-ray

Anyone have any idea how to get scared again lol?

I used to love getting spooked and freaked out, but I've consumed so much horror that I don't hardly feel it anymore.

D:
Save up some money and buy yourself Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
I know it became mainstream back then due to funneeh Youtubers, but trust me it's a GREAT horror game.

About horror movies... I don't know, maybe the Alien movies are kind of creepy. But mainly because of the gore and because I'm astrophobic.

Karma Jawa

As a fan of the Hellraiser franchise (well..the first 2 and a half) I actually love the new one.

Not without flaws but I was surprisingly impressed.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Willem Dafoe And Robert Eggers Eye Reunion On The Director’s ‘Nosferatu’

Described as a gothic tale set in 19th century Germany, focused on a young woman being haunted by the ancient vampire. Round two for DaFoe in this role.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Probably scarier than what it should have been, but the audience in the theatre were treating this like a non-stop comedy. Made it a really fun time. Doesn't take itself too seriously

Cool. I really should have gone and seen this opening night. I had a feeling it was going to be an entertaining banger.

Labolas

iu

Goddamn, what a terrible movie. Editing was terrible and camera was shaky and shoddy at best. It was like looking into a gloryhole through half of the movie.

Sequel to the original movie. Thoughts?

Don't know if I care about a reboot about Exorcist. Exorcism movies have been done to death. I don't know if the interest is going to be super high for this.

Mr Blobby

did anyone see Sissy? Australian comedy horror movie with a limited release. I wouldn't call it scary, but it's fun slapstick and at times bloody. You know when you have one of those days where nothing goes right? It's a bit like that.

and not sure if mentioned, but this movie took me by surprise: Bodies Bodies Bodies. Another horror comedy satirising young adults/Gen Z. Premise: House party, someone dies. You may see the ending coming or not, but this was another good movie with some clever writing that might've flown under the radar for some

Last edited:
Anybody else really like 1408 with John Cusack?

I just rewatched it today and man that movie is superb. The atmosphere alone I think is really awesome. They do such a great job keeping you engrossed and it's pretty damn terrifying at times.

It pretty much ruined the song 'We've Only Just Begun' by The Carpenters. :messenger_smiling:

Anybody else really like 1408 with John Cusack?

I just rewatched it today and man that movie is superb. The atmosphere alone I think is really awesome. They do such a great job keeping you engrossed and it's pretty damn terrifying at times.

It pretty much ruined the song 'We've Only Just Begun' by The Carpenters. :messenger_smiling:

One of my favorites Stephen King adaptations

1922 is another one that I recommend

Just came across this on Bloody Disgusting's website. Seems like it'll be a fun watch, I love Robert Englund and Freddy Krueger.

I watch the Never Sleep Again documentary like every year which covers all the Nightmare films, such a fantastic watch.

poodaddy

Gold Member

Short film for fans of Lovecraft and cosmic horror. Zero gore, but it is wonderful study of madness.

That was genuinely well done, should have been more subtle with the sound effects, but the acting, scenario writing, and directing was very impressive. Older video, I hope the old timer's still with us.

Artoris

Gold Member
The Vigil

this is probably the scariest film I have seen since poltergeist It was on at 2AM, and I was not willing to turn the lights off

WoodyStare

jrleGxq.jpg

Anyone else excited for this? Already got my tickets reserved for an early screening next week. Excellent reviews so far.

Adeptus

Few days ago I watched Carpenter's "Prince of the Darkness". It is considered third part "Apocalypse Trilogy", altough there are no obvious connections between films. I watched "The Thing", and "In the Mouth of Madness" and like it very much, but was not eager to watch "Prince of Darkness". Altoucgh I usually like mixing of the religion, occult and science-fiction, the premise sounded too silly for me - Satan as green goo in canister standing in the basement of small church etc. But I gave it a try and it was OK (altough probably still the weakest of "Trilogy"). There were some silly cliches (like "we can't get any help, we must survive by oursselves" which was reasonable in Arctic base locatrion, but is strange when protagonist are in the church in the middle of the city), but there were moments when athmosphere was great.

Phobos Base

Watched Halloween 3, which I've always felt was rather underrated because of the name. No it's not perfect, the story makes no sense and the romance subplot is the wrong type of creepy, but it's still enjoyable, has a suitably unsettling atmosphere and a fantastic John Carpenter soundtrack.

drotahorror

Was bored and went through pretty much all the years of horror that I've watched. These are all super rewatchable 9/10-10/10 movies to me.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (74)
Halloween (78)
Alien (79)
The Thing (82)
The Terminator (84)
The Return of the Living Dead (86)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (86)
Bram Stoker's Dracula (92)
Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (95)
From Dusk Till Dawn (96)
Scream (96)
American Psycho (00)
28 Days Later (02)
House of 1000 Corpses (03)
Drag Me to Hell (06)
Inside (07)
Planet Terror (07)
I Saw the Devil (10)
The Crazies (10)
Tucker and Dale vs Evil (10)
Evil Dead (13)
Krampus (15)
Train to Busan (16)
Get Out (17)

Adeptus

Some my recommendations:
Hereditary (2018) - for the fans of "classic" satanic themes.
Empty Man (2020) - after the prologoue (which could shorto horror film on its own), it starts looking like cliched "psycho ghost is killing stupid teens" movie, but it develops into something much more eldritch.
Absentia (2011) - nearly zero gore, except one of the last scenes which can be shocking (especially for women).
Colour out of space (2019) - my favourite movie amongs horrors which are not just Lovecraft-inspired, but direct adaptations of his work (well, there are some changes, but still it is cool).

Last edited:
Top Bottom