• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror Game Recommendations for Wife and I

Hello, everyone. I'm looking for some horror recommendations for my wife and I. When we met, we bonded over watching horror movies all hours of the night. Shortly after we started dating, I got her into horror games and gaming. We started off with Silent Hill 2 and Resident Evil 7. It's been quite some time since we've played horror games together, with starting a family and all, but the release of Resident Evil 8 has reinvigorated our interest in the genre.

So what are some great games worthy of recommendation? There is no limit to the console/platform you make recommendations for. If you would like to posts GIFs, Youtube videos, or anything else to really "sell it", that would be great too!

Banned
and *me

well if you liked Silent Hill 2, I would suggest SH3 and 4
also Resident Evil Remake and REmake 2

there sadly aren't that many good horror games these days. most horror games nowadays are either basically interactive movies or built like themepark rides as in you go down a corridor and get jumpscared

Until Dawn is the ultimate horror game. IMO

case in point lol, QTEs and walking predetermined paths to trigger the next cutscene, barely even a videogame and as a certified pussy who gets easily scared, not even that scary. If I can easily play a game at night, alone.... it's not scary
but I guess it can be fun to try and keep everyone alive?

Last edited:

alife

mf3JMB1.jpg

bitbydeath

case in point lol, QTEs and walking predetermined paths to trigger the next cutscene, barely even a videogame and as a certified pussy who gets easily scared, not even that scary. If I can easily play a game at night, alone.... it's not scary
but I guess it can be fun to try and keep everyone alive?
You could say that about any single player game. Eg. Call of Duty campaign. You just walk a predetermined path until you trigger the next cutscene.

Silent Hill, you just walk a predetermined path until you trigger the next cutscene.

At least with Until Dawn your actions have consequences which can change up the cutscenes.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

True horror games are rare, IMHO only Silent hill and Dead Space I consider it horror games. If you want something with jump scares and some suspense you can't go wrong with Resident Evil series, the Resident Evil 2 Remake is a great entry point.

Answering the question:

Resident Evil 2 Remake
Dead Space 1 & 2
Fatal Frame
Until Dawn
Silent Hill 3 & 4 (since you already played the 2)
The Evil Within 1 & 2
Alien Isolation
Little Nightmares 1 & 2
Alan Wake

laynelane

Both of these, although older, have some tense, spooky atmosphere going on:

rMiUC3S.jpg

zVRbGnk.jpg

There's also more titles in Silent Hill and Resident Evil that might be worth checking out (and some of the RE games have coop).

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Opposite of our relationship... my wife hates horror of any kind, even mild psychological. Early in our marriage, she enjoyed watching story-based game so I fired up Silent Hill (*Shattered Memories, the least frightening one, narratively focused) and within an hour she was already plugging her ears and just about shouting that I had to turn it off immediately :- ) Since then, I only play horror games on headphones every now and then when she's asleep.

The closest we came to horror together after that was playing through the 1st Walking Dead season, but that's barely horror... and even though she loved the story it was almost too much for her to handle by the end.

JLB

Banned
The Medium is quite good and has some Silent Hill vibes.
RE VII and VIII are masterpieces.
Hellblade is incredible, though is a more single player xp in the sense that you need to use Headsets to play it right.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
BTW If your rocking an Xbox Series X, you can play Alien Isolation on Game Pass in 60FPS via FPS Boost. Plus it has Auto HDR with it too.

To really get the most out of it you really need to play with Headphones, as using surround sound to help pin point the Alien really turns things up a notch. But I'm sure it'll be fine without them too.

It's brilliant A.I for the Alien, it actually learns how you play and how and where you like to hide, so your always forced to think on your feet. I'm actually on my second run now, and I fucking hate every time I have to use a vent to get somewhere, it's tense as hell.

Absolutely brilliant.

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Soma is fantastic if you're into sci-fi horror. I'd also recommend Until Dawn - I really loved it and it's probably the closest a game has ever come to feeling like a horror movie.

Not horror per se, but I'd say Sunless Skies is a very different type of game with some great cosmic horror vibes.
It's very narrative heavy, like Disco Elysium, but if you enjoy those types of games this is one of the best in its class.
Popped into my head cause I saw it dropped on psn today, but you can probably get a discounted pc version somewhere. I double dipped cause the dev deserves it.

Last edited:

Mistake

Dead Space 1 on Steam has full controller support. I just looked it up.
I already tried and they’re lying. There’s a bug where y axis is always going up as long as a controller is detected. In any case, there are several more glitches on pc, so that’s probably why the ps3 one goes for more money
I looked again just now on amazon and I see two for $60, but the rest are higher. I only saw it before because it was recommended, I’m glad I got my copy at $20

Last edited:

amigastar

I'm playing Control by Remedy currently, not a horror game per se but still creepy so far.
With that said maybe Alan Wake would be something.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Resident Evil 2(original), Gone Home, Alien: Isolation, The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan, Inside, Limbo, Evil Within 1&2, Outlast, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, The Walking Dead/Wolf Among Us.

I've played these with the wife and we had a pretty good time. Of that list I'd say my wife enjoyed Inside, Wolf Among Us, Gone Home and RE2(original) the most though if I had to guess.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

This is currently on sale real cheap on ps store at the moment.. Someone tell me, is it really worth purchasing and playing? Not for the horror aspect but more if it is a good game production wise as I have always been interested to play it.

Last edited:
PC will do wonders for you cause this genre is limited and I recommend to get what's not available for purchase to pirate most of them if you really admit to buy them if they are available and there's nothing wrong with that ; you mentioned silent hill and resident evil so by default you should acclaim the whole series for both of them cause this genre is limited and you should look at it from a point of scarcity and not what's the best of them , steam on windows is a great platform for horror genre and you should take your time surfing "not sure but around 8000 games ", steam is big and great for horror genre, I found fear , doom , daylight, amnesia, telltale series, the medium, Alan wake , state of decay and others that I don't remember at the moment , and there's a catch to this genre which is some of horror elements exist in other games with different genres like the last of us, left 4 dead , bioshock and so on and so forth.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I really wanted to like Control, played 5 hours of Ultimate Edition on PS5 and I seriously think this game is so boring. I don't know what it is but it feels so bland.
Control has a weird balance where the combat is really really fun and can be a blast with the enemy encounters(especially when you've leveled up a few powers), but it's atmosphere needs to be embraced in order to really immerse yourself in the game and in order to do that you have to stop and READ a lot of the lore and papers you find throughout The Oldest House. So it has this balance issue where playing it and enjoying the atmosphere conflict in a major way. If you can slow down and just embrace the strange and don't mind reading a lot, it's a VERY immersive game with some genuinely AWEsome lore. But it requires a little more work than similar games in it's genre.

Last edited:

alife

This is currently on sale real cheap on ps store at the moment.. Someone tell me, is it really worth purchasing and playing? Not for the horror aspect but more if it is a good game production wise as I have always been interested to play it.
Yes, it is 100% worth purchasing and playing, especially if it is on sale. Both the aesthetics and sound design in Alien: Isolation alone are worth experiencing at least once in your life.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I really wanted to like Control, played 5 hours of Ultimate Edition on PS5 and I seriously think this game is so boring. I don't know what it is but it feels so bland.

Same here... I realized I hadn't genuinely even enjoyed one moment after the first couple of hours, so I gave up. It felt like a cheap sci-fi TV show with her voice-over, quite irritating writing and characterization.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

While we may be familiar with the likes of Silent Hill, Resident Evil and more, there are a number of other lesser known titles that are worth indulging in for your horror fix. Let's take a look at 15 of them here.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Hello, everyone. I'm looking for some horror recommendations for my wife and I. When we met, we bonded over watching horror movies all hours of the night. Shortly after we started dating, I got her into horror games and gaming. We started off with Silent Hill 2 and Resident Evil 7. It's been quite some time since we've played horror games together, with starting a family and all, but the release of Resident Evil 8 has reinvigorated our interest in the genre.

So what are some great games worthy of recommendation? There is no limit to the console/platform you make recommendations for. If you would like to posts GIFs, Youtube videos, or anything else to really "sell it", that would be great too!
Im sure both will like Haunting ground.

2022 will be banger because of the Dead Space remake. Do not play the original Dead Space because the remake is on the way.

I would also recommend maybe both Evil Within 1 and 2. 1 is more atmospheric and scary but 2 has better gameplay, I still would play both.

Last edited:
Top Bottom