• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot take: MS/Xbox wont be able to gain alot of market share, without a big global brand exposure. Main reason, why xbox still has small market share.

kingfey

Banned
One of the main obstacle for MS isnt providing alot of content. Its cementing itself as a global power house. Something Xbox was almost close to achieving it with Xbox 360, before Xbox one set them back, and destroyed all of their momentum.
The lack of presence in Japan, also affects xbox not getting some japanese games, with likes of persona series.

Europe is another market, which Xbox struggled through out its history.
For example, the ps4 sold around 48m in Europe alone. That is almost close to entire Xbox one life cycle.

The Asian market has little support from xbox, which makes it easier for Playstation to sell in that region without any competition.

Only strongest market, which Xbox has currently is the NA market, UK, and SA regions.

Xbox would need to expand globally to gain more users, which helps them gain more support from developers around the world.

No matter how much Money they spend acquiring studios, without gaining that global market, Xbox wont be able to gain alot of market share. They have to extend their service to other regions, and open more support to these regions.

MadPanda

Banned
I agree. I think they also realize the hence their partnership with England FA and France FF. I don't know why they don't throw money on uefa champions league sponsorship, no matter the cost. It's the biggest sporting competition in Europe and it's watched globally. But hey, I'm just a regular guy so who knows what's behind all those decisions.

kingfey

Banned
I agree. I think they also realize the hence their partnership with England FA and France FF. I don't know why they don't throw money on uefa champions league sponsorship, no matter the cost. It's the biggest sporting competition in Europe and it's watched globally. But hey, I'm just a regular guy so who knows what's behind all those decisions.
Those type of promotion attracts casuals to your console. It just shows, xbox is out of touch on those things.
Every time I watch football related video, they mention its being partnered by PlayStation. Those type of promotion helps keep PlayStation on the talk.

TBiddy

There's three things in play;

1. Brand - Playstation is a better/bigger brand than Xbox in most countries
2. Reach - Playstation has a bigger reach, and people buy the console where their friends are playing
3. Games - Playstation has historically produced both more games and higher quality games than Xbox

All these things are interconnected and I suspect it starts from the bottom. Until Microsoft continually produces blockbuster hits, they won't stand a chance. But then again, they don't need to be number 1 to be successful.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Who argues otherwise. For MS I guess Xbox is not a priority in the Europe, since there is a lot of people gaming on PC, which probably in 99% have windows with ads for GamePass.

kingfey

Banned
There's three things in play;

1. Brand - Playstation is a better/bigger brand than Xbox in most countries
2. Reach - Playstation has a bigger reach, and people buy the console where their friends are playing
3. Games - Playstation has historically produced both more games and higher quality games than Xbox

All these things are interconnected and I suspect it starts from the bottom. Until Microsoft continually produces blockbuster hits, they won't stand a chance. But then again, they don't need to be number 1 to be successful.
Unlike Xbox, PlayStation had the most Iconic 3rd party games (Silent hill, metal gear solid, final fantasy, resident evil). These type of games helped PlayStation be the console to buy.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Who argues otherwise. For MS I guess Xbox is not a priority in the Europe, since there is a lot of people gaming on PC, which probably in 99% have windows with ads for GamePass.
I've said this a ton of times here but if they improve gamepass on pc because it sucks it could be big.

cireza

Banned
The lack of presence in Japan, also affects xbox not getting some japanese games, with likes of persona series.
This has been largely dealt with this gen. We are getting a ton of Japanese/anime IPs now, and Sony have to resort to the usual "pay to prevent Xbox players to have the game" for the bigger games from Third Parties.

So this is a good sign that Microsoft have been doing a lot of work on that front. We are getting a ton of games that we did not have before, and this was built throughout the years.

Namco Bandai anime series like One Piece, One Punch Man and Jojo recently are coming to Xbox.
Square : FF joined Xbox with 360 and we are getting all main entries now. Nier Automata as well. Even Dragon Quest finally came to Xbox.
SEGA : Valkyria came to Xbox, all Yakuza games, and yes, Atlus is finally coming back with Soul Hackers 2. And of course there is PSO2 and PSO2NG, really fun games.
BC is also a great way to play a lot of Japanese games, like Catherine for example. And we pretty much have a complete remastered FF XIII trilogy in 4K through BC (60fps for XIII-2 and LR). Can't state how awesome this is.

I play a lot of Japanese games and I play on Xbox, I can definitely tell that they have made huge progress this recent years. Third Parties really need to support PC/Xbox all the time, really. This is how things are shaping more and more anyway. You want to release in the West a big game (that does not have a Switch version) ? Skipping Xbox and PC means skipping ~50% of your sales. Not a great move, especially when porting does not require tremendous efforts.

Last edited:
If you’re gonna go with Vgchartz as a source then MS is outselling Sony this week in the US, in Europe, and about tied globally. Since both are limited by supply I don’t see a reason to think that Sony is doing better atm. Keep in mind Sony is only expecting to sell 11.5M PS5 next fiscal year (actually THIS fiscal year, got that wrong). Once the supply issues are solved we can take another look at their standing and exclusives. Right now it’s just hyphotetical.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
They just need Starfield to be the cultural phenomenon Skyrim was, if not starfield then The Elder Scrolls VI. Skyrim did what breath of the wild did 5 years ago and what elden ring is doing right now, move the masses.

reksveks

Keep in mind Sony is only expecting to sell 11.5M PS5 next fiscal year.
Source on this one?

The latest I knew was that they planned to have the same target for "reasons"

Q1: [G&NS segment] While you downwardly revised your FY21 unit sales forecast for PS5 hardware,
what is your outlook for the PS5 hardware sales in FY2022? At your IR Day in May 2021, you said
that you intended to aim for the highest unit sales for PS5 ever for one of your game consoles, so I
believe that you were targeting unit sales of 22 to 23 million units. Based on the demand you are
currently seeing and your ability to supply, what sort of volumes do you think you will be able to
achieve?

A1: As regards the PS5 in FY2022, we continue to believe that the strong demand we see justifies our targeting the highest unit sales ever for one of our game consoles. We definitely want to make that a reality, and to that end, we remain engaged in talks and negotiations with the partners that supply our components. At the same time, the world has been challenged by logistics disruptions and struggles to procure components, especially semiconductors. My objective view as CFO is that it is fair to assume that these issues are likely to persist in FY2022. Providing a highly accurate forecast for the second half (“2H”) of FY2022 would be especially difficult at present as we can say nothing definitive about how things may look then. I believe, however, that lowering the goal we have set for ourselves at this stage would be taking the easy way out and therefore think that maintaining that goal and working hard to achieve it is the correct path at present. We hope to be able to present a more accurate unit sales forecast along with our FY2022 earnings forecast at the time of earnings
announcement for FY2021

Last edited:

silent head

If you’re gonna go with Vgchartz as a source then MS is outselling Sony this week in the US, in Europe, and about tied globally. Since both are limited by supply I don’t see a reason to think that Sony is doing better atm. Keep in mind Sony is only expecting to sell 11.5M PS5 next fiscal year. Once the supply issues are solved we can take another look at their standing and exclusives. Right now it’s just hyphotetical.

Last edited:

reksveks

Three

MS as a whole has a bad consumer brand in the EU. They don't have the luxury goods branding here.
If you’re gonna go with Vgchartz as a source then MS is outselling Sony this week in the US, in Europe, and about tied globally. Since both are limited by supply I don’t see a reason to think that Sony is doing better atm. Keep in mind Sony is only expecting to sell 11.5M PS5 next fiscal year. Once the supply issues are solved we can take another look at their standing and exclusives. Right now it’s just hyphotetical.
You're mixing up their targets. Sony targets to have sold 11.5M by the end of March this year for the past year March 2021 to March 2022. Not the next fiscal year. The targets remain the same for the year. In fact they think they will make up the supply issue this year in the months ahead.

Last edited:

mejin

I play a lot of Japanese games and I play on Xbox, I can definitely tell that they have made huge progress this recent years. Third Parties really need to support PC/XboSkipping Xbox and PC means skipping ~50% of your sales. Not a great move, especially when porting does not require tremendous efforts.

Why do you still put Xbox besides PC? We all know they aren't in the same league. We have more japanese announcements to PS, PC and Switch than PS, PC and Xbox.

ManaByte

This has been largely dealt with this gen. We are getting a ton of Japanese/anime IPs now, and Sony have to resort to the usual "pay to prevent Xbox players to have the game" for the bigger games from Third Parties.

So this is a good sign that Microsoft have been doing a lot of work on that front. We are getting a ton of games that we did not have before, and this was built throughout the years.

Namco Bandai anime series like One Piece, One Punch Man and Jojo recently are coming to Xbox.
Square : FF joined Xbox with 360 and we are getting all main entries now. Nier Automata as well. Even Dragon Quest finally came to Xbox.
SEGA : Valkyria came to Xbox, all Yakuza games, and yes, Atlus is finally coming back with Soul Hackers 2. And of course there is PSO2 and PSO2NG, really fun games.
BC is also a great way to play a lot of Japanese games, like Catherine for example. And we pretty much have a complete remastered FF XIII trilogy in 4K through BC (60fps for XIII-2 and LR). Can't state how awesome this is.

I play a lot of Japanese games and I play on Xbox, I can definitely tell that they have made huge progress this recent years. Third Parties really need to support PC/Xbox all the time, really. This is how things are shaping more and more anyway. You want to release in the West a big game (that does not have a Switch version) ? Skipping Xbox and PC means skipping ~50% of your sales. Not a great move, especially when porting does not require tremendous efforts.
yea but what about the loli hentai visual novels

PeteBull

As an European i can tell u if MS wants to get big here he needs quality exclusives, so same like back in x360 times, no game pass, no pc ports, coz otherwise we will just play it on pc since its very normal for every person to have a pc here(coz of last 1,5 years gpu situation many of those pc rigs have weak/outdated gpus tho, way below what is sitting in xsx/ps5 but it can change hopefully in next few months).

Look at switch- it has terrible outdated specs, bad online and overall by most hardcore players is looked down, but it had quite a few top notch quality exclusives so its selling well everywhere despite its obvious flaws.

OP, why do you think xbox needs to sell as many consoles as PS?

They have already said they aren't competing with them. Xbox is satisfied with sales it's getting.

And it's games are just as good. You simply don't have taste for diverse stuff like Sea of Thieves, Flight Sim etc.

Swift_Star

Banned

Japanese games are barely sold/played on Xbox. There’s nothing “dealt with” about this.
God, y’all seem to live in a bizarro world.

Chronicle

One of the main obstacle for MS isnt providing alot of content. Its cementing itself as a global power house. Something Xbox was almost close to achieving it with Xbox 360, before Xbox one set them back, and destroyed all of their momentum.

Europe is another market, which Xbox struggled through out its history.
For example, the ps4 sold around 48m in Europe alone. That is almost close to entire Xbox one life cycle.

The Asian market has little support from xbox, which makes it easier for Playstation to sell in that region without any competition.

Only strongest market, which Xbox has currently is the NA market, UK, and SA regions.

Xbox would need to expand globally to gain more users, which helps them gain more support from developers around the world.

No matter how much Money they spend acquiring studios, without gaining that global market, Xbox wont be able to gain alot of market share. They have to extend their service to other regions, and open more support to these regions.
You start by saying, "One of the main obstacle for MS isnt providing alot of content. Its cementing itself as a global power house."

1. They're not the same the same thing. Becoming a global powerhouse is not an obstacle its a goal. Content will help them reach that.

2. Then you go on to say that you need to become a global powerhouse to get market share.

Youre trying to support your claim with the premise that restated itself. Its called 'begging the question' and is a fallacy.

It's just saying Microsoft will gain marketshare by gaining marketshare.

Duchess

Since both are limited by supply I don’t see a reason to think that Sony is doing better atm.
Both Series X and S are now widely available in the UK*, so it's going to be interesting to see what happens.

(* - X has been in stock on Amazon, Argos, and others for well over a week now. PS5 is still selling out within 30 minutes of going on sale)

Xbox Series S combined with exclusive Bethesda games, combined with COD on Game Pass (and potentially some other exclusive non-COD Activision games), plus all the other new studios like Obsidian, InXile, Ninja Theory, etc. all making exclusive games. They're going to gain substantial market share because they'll have better exclusives than they have now, better value, and a great service like Game Pass. Will they gain enough to beat out Playstation and Nintendo exclusively with Xbox consoles? Almost certainly not, but it will be much more competitive, and once you factor in PC players that are buying Xbox games and/or Game Pass, as well as people playing xcloud on their TV or phone (or maybe eventually PS5/Switch), it wouldn't be impossible for them to have a greater "market share" in that sense within the next decade.

The way you build brand is by having a good product and good marketing, for a sustained amount of time long term. Xbox's product is the best it's ever been, and their marketing is almost certainly improving relative to late 360/Xbox One generation, there will be a sizable shift of people on the fence choosing Xbox instead of Playstation (as well as Playstation primary gamers feeling a need to invest in a Series S for it's exclusives). Japan's a lost cause for console sales in general but especially Xbox, but there's 0 reason they can't make serious headway in Europe and potentially gain a lead over Playstation in the US. It's not going to change overnight, and PS5 (and probably PS6) will beat out their respective Xbox's in sales, but Bethesda + Activision are massive things that will drastically increase the desirability of owning an Xbox and subscribing to Game Pass, and Xbox Series S + xCloud make it way easier to get into the Xbox ecosystem than the Playstation ecosystem

Both Series X and S are now widely available in the UK*, so it's going to be interesting to see what happens.

(* - X has been in stock on Amazon, Argos, and others for well over a week now. PS5 is still selling out within 30 minutes of going on sale)
Interesting. Anyway, just wanted to be clear that my point wasn't that Xbox would outsell PS5 at this moment if they were both available. But rather that the supply constraints might last long enough to where big Xbox exclusives start being released at regular intervals which will change the equation.

DaGwaphics

When you look at the gaming market nationally: https://newzoo.com/insights/rankings/top-10-countries-by-game-revenues/

If MS can get Xbox back to being more than competitive in the US and UK alone, that would equate to a significant portion of the gaming space. If you erased mobile and PC from these figures the console market would skew even further in the US and UK directions. Add in the peripheral numbers from secondary markets and they can do quite well. The 360 showed that you could do well overall even if the market penetration was a bit more focused. They'll be fine.

Last edited:

yurinka

Xbox only got close to PS with 360 mostly because PS3 had a ton of huge mistakes: it was released way later than 360 specially in Europe, the main PS market. It was too expensive specially compared to Xbox. It was too complex and expensive to develop for. It took too much time to see several great exclusives being released and so on. At launch itts only system was worse than XBL, its voice chat sucked and didn't have trophies.

In addition to this some early 3rd party games of that gen became 360 (temporal) exclusives because PS3 still wasn't there. Other former big 3rd party exclusives because every gen budgets for AAA games rise and at that point they needed to go multi because it wasn't profitable and safe enough to keep them exclusive so had to make them multi to be more safe.

So thanks to all this 360 started with advantage and even if PS3 made a comeback in the later part of its life cycle the generation ended pretty tied with a small advantage for PS3.

In the current generation PS5 didn't have these -or similar- big mistakes. A few 3rd party (not moneyhatted) exclusives will go multi for the same reason mentioned before, but if PS5 doesn't continue breaking gaming history records as it did when started or as PS4 did is because of the lack of chips.

The only option I see for MS to win this generation would be to solve the chips issue way faster than Sony and to buy several top publishers more, not only what I think will happen (I expect MS to buy a couple of top publishers or devs more during this generation plus a few smaller ones) or to innovate in an area not covered by Sony as could be with the portables by buying Valve, which would give them the PC market with Steam, the portables with Steamdeck and a VR headset plus a few well known IPs more.

So summary mainly for me
Previous FY21 prediction : 14.8m
Current FY21 prediction: 11.5m
Current FY22 prediction: 22.6m
External FY22 prediction: 15m
Yes, there is a global chips shortage that is becoming a bigger issue than everyone predicted and it's going to take longer to be fixed than everyone predicted. Demand for PS5 is on gaming history record levels but sales won't be able to match demand until at least late 2023 or 2024.

Last edited:

Belthazar

Skipping Xbox and PC means skipping ~50% of your sales. Not a great move, especially when porting does not require tremendous efforts.

Not of those supposedly 50% are on PC tho, skipping Xbox would've been a pretty benefitial decision for games like Stranger of Paradise and Tales of Arise lately... The Xbox sales were meager. Especially if they could've gotten a bigger marketing push from PlayStation in exchange of the exclusivity.

yurinka

Regarding Sega, one of their company goals is to move to a more multiplatform approach and to put more games in subscriptions. So we'll see more former/current PS or Nintendo exclusives being also released on Xbox, and also included (sooner or later) on Gamepass or Spartacus.

So unless they get a good enough moneyhat I think future Persona, Shin Megami Tensei or Bayonetta games to name a few could go multiplatform.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Let me guess : UK retail first week charts ?

Let me guess 2 : you don't play on Xbox ? So how can you tell if the situation is satisfactory for Xbox gamers ?
Nah, just facts. You can see sales/players split with Japanese games when it’s released and they’re barely played on Xbox. It is what it is.

nush

Gold Member
Xbox only got close to PS with 360 mostly because

They read the room better at launch and before.

Microsoft: August 2005, we are launching "Xbox 2" this year.

Everybody: "No fucking chance".

Microsoft: November 2005, Here you go gamers buy now!

Swift_Star

Banned
Regarding Sega, one of their company goals is to move to a more multiplatform approach and to put more games in subscriptions. So we'll see more former/current PS or Nintendo exclusives being also released on Xbox, and also included (sooner or later) on Gamepass or Spartacus.

So unless they get a good enough moneyhat I think future Persona, Shin Megami Tensei or Bayonetta games to name a few could go multiplatform.
Bayonetta 2 and 3 are funded by Nintendo. They’re never going to be multiplat.

yurinka

Bayonetta 2 and 3 are funded by Nintendo. They’re never going to be multiplat.
Notice I said "future Bayonetta".

Plus in the past have been tons of moneyhatted (a.k.a. funded by platform holder) 3rd party exclusives that ended going multiplatform even if in a later generation. It could be the same case.

Last edited:

ManaByte

if PS5 doesn't continue breaking gaming history records as it did when started or as PS4 did is because of the lack of chips.

A lot of armchair analysts here don't seem to understand how big Call of Duty is in the US and how huge it's going to be for Call of Duty on console when the people who play Call of Duty every year don't have to drop $70-100 for the game every single November. It's going to change things, in ways some people aren't going to like.

Javthusiast

Banned
yea but what about the loli hentai visual novels
new game bear GIF by Funimation

Fatmanp

For EU mindshare they should consider some/mixture of the following;

-Sponsoring the Champions League
-Sponsoring a major EU Football league (Germany/France/Spain)
-Having a shirt sponsorship for one of the biggest EU teams
-Having the stadium naming rights for a major EU football team
-Marketing rights for as many sporting titles as possible (Fifa/Epes/2k)
-Having major EU personalities/sportsman as brand ambassadors

yazenov

Check Europe split for Elden Rings and Final Fantasy Stranger of Paradise.

Japanese games can absolutely skip the Xbox without any financial consequences. On the other hand, PC is a different story.

Playstation and PC are the essential platforms. Xbox is not in the same league when it comes to software sales.

If anything, publishers can port their games to Gamepass for an extra buck a few years later with financial incentives from Microsoft.

Last edited:

yazenov

Why do you still put Xbox besides PC? We all know they aren't in the same league. We have more japanese announcements to PS, PC and Switch than PS, PC and Xbox.

Yeah its strange. Their differences in sales are leagues apart.

Sure windows belongs to Microsoft but it's a different platform and Steam is where those game sell well, not Windows.

kingfey

Banned
Check Europe split for Elden Rings and Final Fantasy Stranger of Paradise.

Japanese games can absolutely skip the Xbox without any financial consequences. On the other hand, PC is a different story.

Playstation and PC are the essential platforms. Xbox is not in the same league when it comes to software sales.

If anything, publishers can port their games to Gamepass for an extra buck a few years later with financial incentives from Microsoft.
Europe isnt the only market. Plus skipping xbox means alot of money lost.

Developers wants to maximum the potental sales. Not all sales can cover the cost of the production, without other platforms. Unless you have a deal with that platform.

yurinka

A lot of armchair analysts here don't seem to understand how big Call of Duty is in the US and how huge it's going to be for Call of Duty on console when the people who play Call of Duty every year don't have to drop $70-100 for the game every single November. It's going to change things, in ways some people aren't going to like.

A lot of armchair analysts also don't seem to understand that CoD Warzone is playable on PS for free, not requiring to pay Game Pass or PS Plus/Gold for it, like many other super successful F2P shooters like Fortnite (higher than CoD Warzone in the top PSN 2021 F2P games ranking for both NA and Europe), Apex Legends, Destiny 2, Splitgate or Rogue Company to name a few.

A lot of armchair analysts also don't seem to understand that the top games of sales rankings only represent a small portion of the total sales, and that USA only represents slighly above a third of the PS global market.

Assuming -being probably generous- that worldwide around half of the 20-30M that annual CoD games sell are sold on PS (they are also relased in Xbox and PC), it means each one sells around 10-15M on PS. Since there are 111 PSN MAU (and growing), only around 10% of PS users buy them. Meaning around 90% of the worldwide PS users don't buy the yearly CoD games.

There are thousands of games for these consoles and the ones in the top of the sales rankings only represent a small fraction of the total. As reference over 1700M games were sold for PS4 before the PS5 release.

On top of that, we'll also have to see if the anti-Game Pass clause Sony had for the Resident Evil Village marketing deal was also applied to their multi CoD marketing deal, and if they already had signed there Vanguard or future CoDs of this gen.

We also will have to see how successful are the upcoming Sony new IPs from Bungie, Deviation (former CoD BO devs) or Firewalk (former Destiny, Halo, Apex Legends devs) if they are shooters and how they affect CoD on PS, and if CoD Vanguard underperforming was an isolated case of if it started a declining sales pattern for the series.

We also will have to see how the Activision Blizzard shitstorms end in the court and how it affects future developments and its staff (I bet won't mean important damage/changes for future CoDs development) and how integration under “disturbed and deeply troubled by the horrific events and actions" MS management that is supposed to "evaluate all aspects of their relationship with Activision Blizzard and making ongoing proactive adjustments" would affect future CoD developments and its staff (I bet won't mean important damage/changes for future CoDs development).

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Vanguard, which is a bad call of duty, managed to sell 1m in Europe. US will be way higher than that.

kingfey

Banned
Assuming that worldwide around half of the 20-30M that annual CoD games sell are sold on PS (even if they are also relased in Xbox and PC), it means each one sells around 10-15M. Since there are 111 PSN MAU (and growing), only around 10% of PS users buy them. Meaning around 90% of the worldwide PS users don't buy the yearly CoD games.

There are thousands of games for these consoles and the ones in the top of the sales rankings only represent a small fraction of the total. As reference over 1700M games were sold for PS4 before the PS5 release.
You need to look this at exposure level.
A game like call of duty can give your platform alot of exposure. Not to mention, alot of 3rd party publisher will want to partner with you.
Everyone follows the big players. If activision goes somewhere, Most developers will go to that platform.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Global exposure isn't the key. Never was. Content and focus on the countries where your content can make money is key.

Microsoft's problem since Xbox One has been lack content and lack of focus. Xbox went toe to toe with PlayStation during the PS360 days and if they would have kept that momentum going with something different than Xbox One the market would probably be different now. But they took their focus off of gaming and dumped their internal studios to try to make Xbox One the center of all entertainment in the living room. As a result the Xbox One had nothing compelling to get people to buy it.

They may never be able to get back to where they were, but to do it these dozens of studios they've purchased need to start pushing out content. Then they can worry about global.

Last edited:
Top Bottom