• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot take: The Boys is better than anything Marvel and DC ever created

• Agree

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • Disagree

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters

OOGABOOGA

Banned
just finished watching the show. never really was truly a huge fan of the super-hero genre despite watching tons of them, I enjoy them, but not a huge fan. I have watched litterally everything under the sun. Spider man, Venom, Wanda, Hulk, Thor, Loki, black panther, Iron man, black widow, batman, super man, shazam, aqua man, wonder woman, you name it, i watched it...
I was never impressed by a super hero show or a movie as much as the boys. What I like the most about it, less cheesiness, more plot. This is not based of the super powers, i know it's an obvious rip off. Queen Maeve is wonder woman, Black noir is batman, homelander is super man, the deep is a dollar store aqua man, A-Train the flash, etc... it's based of how entertaining the content is. I never watched a Marvel/DC movie or a show that was as entertaining as the boys.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

Daredevil is better. The boys dropped towel in season finale like they usually do by letting Maeve live. Also the whole Becca and Homelander thing is disasterously unexplained which puts Butcher's motivation in question. Did Homelander raped her? So far no light has been shed on what happened. All the story that has unfolded with Becca and Homelander suggested he didn't rape her. She went to the Homelander's place/Vought's place on her own accord. Its fun but average shallow shit. Doesn't hold candle against daredevil season 1. Honestly, I am watching this show for Anthony Starr. He makes a better evil superman then most normal superheros.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
It's not a hot take. It's a fact if you compare it to Marvel stuff.

Marvel stuff not only got too much cliché along the way, but also started targeting a much more kiddy and younger audience now more than ever.

The Boys feels way more fresh because it twists the way people think about super heroes. And it works so damn well.

Last edited:

OOGABOOGA

Banned
Daredevil is better. The boys dropped towel in season finale like they usually do by letting Maeve live. Also the whole Becca and Homelander thing is disasterously unexplained which puts Butcher's motivation in question. Did Homelander raped her? So far no light has been shed on what happened. All the story that has unfolded with Becca and Homelander suggested he didn't rape her. She went to the Homelander's place/Vought's place on her own accord. Its fun but average shallow shit. Doesn't hold candle against daredevil season 1. Honestly, I am watching this show for Anthony Starr. He makes a better evil superman then most normal superheros.
Yes, he did rape her. In the Christmas party homelander told Becca to manage his social media. That's probably why she went to his room at Vought. At that time he wasn't as crazy, she didn't expect him to rape her.

Naked Lunch

Well sure - its a direct rejection of everything Marvel and DC have ever said about superheroes - and how they would actually fit into the real world. Of course - you wouldnt have the Boys without the big 2.

Somewhat related - but I find it funny how all these shows and franchises are just catching on now - but almost all comic based material in these shows is all from 2000-2008ish era comics. Almost everything youre seeing today is from that era. Most regular folks dont even realize the stuff theyre watching was a comic first - and came out 20 years ago. Comic geeks were in the know back then - that era was unreal. Older and even newer comics dont really hold up to the creative explosion of that time.

This is not based of the super powers, i know it's an obvious rip off. Queen Maeve is wonder woman, Black noir is batman, homelander is super man, the deep is a dollar store aqua man, A-Train the flash, etc... it's based of how entertaining the content is. I never watched a Marvel/DC movie or a show that was as entertaining as the boys.
You've answered the question without even realising it. Because these characters are the complete antithesis of whom they are based upon, it's going to make for some entertaining scenarios and action scenes when they let loose. We've become accustomed to Superman being the homegrown hero flying all over the place and using his laser powers for good, same goes for Soldier Boy and his iconic shield. The problem with The Boys in my humble opinion is that the premise is boring with evil superheroes, the show is lacking something in that sense and I'm not sure what. I will concede that it's enjoyable and the main reason being is Antony Starr, who's brilliant as Homelander and Jensen Ackles as Soldier Boy.

the-boys-homelander-vs-superman-video-impazzire-web-v6-476727-1280x960.jpg
https%3A%2F%2Fwinteriscoming.net%2Ffiles%2F2022%2F06%2Fcombine_images.jpg

Somewhat related - but I find it funny how all these shows and franchises are just catching on now - but almost all comic based material in these shows is all from 2000-2008ish era comics. Almost everything youre seeing today is from that era. Most regular folks dont even realize the stuff theyre watching was a comic first - and came out 20 years ago. Comic geeks were in the know back then - that era was unreal. Older and even newer comics dont really hold up to the creative explosion of that time.
You're absolutely right. Remember the movie 'Hancock' with Will Smith?

hancock-1.jpg

Last edited:

Yoboman

I dont think it was ever supposed to be a question whether he raped her

Labolas

Mmm.. nah, The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Daredevil season 1 and 2, some of the Avengers movies I found way more enjoyable.

Edit: Oh if you're talking about every adaptations of DC and Marvel. Then you're totally wrong because Batman TAS, Justice League, X-Men TAS, Batman: Under the Red Hood, and Superman TAS easily blows The Boys out of the water. Hell, I think Invincible is better than The Boys.

Last edited:

Vaelka

The series probably,the comic was edgy for edgys sake.
So is the show imo, the gore is just used for the lolz at this point and so is a lot of the nudity ( especially with the gore attached to it ).
The comic was edgier but the show is definitely just '' look at how craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy we are '' too.

Actual gore doesn't look like in the show either so the whole realism argument is a bit weird and even then '' realism '' doesn't mean they need to depict all they do it's clearly again just to be edgy and for the lolz.
The gore is extremely overexaggerated for shock value.

FunkMiller

The Boys is great… but Garth Ennis would be the first person to say it couldn’t and wouldn’t exist without the (primarily) DC based deconstructionist works that inspired it.

The TV adaptation is also great, but again leans heavily on stuff that’s come before it to work. It’s extremely derivative. That’s one of its main strengths, but also one of its main flaws.

Sum up: The Boys is a show that succeeds because it riffs off the (better) stuff that inspired it.

Last edited:

Himuro

Basing this off tv or movies is bad and poor logic. How can you say it's better than anything Marvel or DC ever done if you haven't read the comic books? The best comic stories DC ever made haven't been adapted to movies. Frankly, the best Superman stories haven't been adapted to the screen, whether tv or film. You have a biased perspective. Moreover, you conclude that DC and Marvel only makes cape shit when DC particularly has a legion of non superhero related books like V for Vendetta. In fact, DC has an entire label of comics called Vertigo which has put out things like Sandman, Lucifer, We3,And that's without mentioning things like Swamp Thing, Animal Man.

Yet you conclude (foolishly and ignorantly I may add) that DC only makes superhero stories and that The Boys is better than anything they've ever done? If you're basing this off tv and movies then you don't even know what DC has done.

The Boys was actually published by DC, proving the point. Don't ever base DC off of their movies.

If you really mean better than any tv or movie Marvel or DC have done please say that instead.

FunkMiller

Basing this off tv or movies is bad and poor logic. How can you say it's better than anything Marvel or DC ever done if you haven't read the comic books? The best comic stories DC ever made haven't been adapted to movies. Frankly, the best Superman stories haven't been adapted to the screen, whether tv or film. You have a biased perspective. Moreover, you conclude that DC and Marvel only makes cape shit when DC particularly has a legion of non superhero related books like V for Vendetta. In fact, DC has an entire label of comics called Vertigo which has put out things like Sandman, Lucifer, We3,And that's without mentioning things like Swamp Thing, Animal Man.

Yet you conclude (foolishly and ignorantly I may add) that DC only makes superhero stories and that The Boys is better than anything they've ever done? If you're basing this off tv and movies then you don't even know what DC has done.

The Boys was actually published by DC, proving the point. Don't ever base DC off of their movies.

If you really mean better than any tv or movie Marvel or DC have done please say that instead.

I definitely get the impression OP isn't a comic book reader, and is only basing his judgement off TV shows and movies.

sol_bad

For me, dark, violent and sexual doesn't automatically mean it's better. It is a great show with some great characters but they'll never be as good as Marvels characters.

The final battle in season 3 left a sour taste in my mouth, no where near as much spectacle as what we should have got since it's basically Superman and Wonder Woman fighting. It felt so tame and mundane. Amazon need to give The Boys some LOTRs budgeting for some truly epic battles.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I loved Iron Man and the Avengers (and the Infinity War movies), Guardians of the Galaxy movies and the Captain America movies but the rest are meh. Most of the Disney+ shows are middling. All of DC movies suck.

The Boys is really an exciting, gritty, fun, violent, satirical, super hero romp. It's not sanitized like the Disney and DC stuff.

Just finished season 3 and was really great!

Top Bottom