• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot take. The worst part about XBC2 are…

killatopak

Gold Member
The accents.

It’s taking me out of the story.

Gonna reinstall the Japanese VO. I find that it works better on lip sync too.

Sorry British English speakers. It’s just not for me. Which is weird, since on other games, I like British, Welsh, etc accents.

I’m not even a native English speaker but I find American English a lot easier to understand by ear.

Topher

Gold Member

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I think
Christian Bale Idk GIF

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
It didn't bother me at all, especially considering the first XBC also had British English VO.

I was coming in here expecting the worst thing to be when it drops to like 360p in handheld mode.

Fantastic game, either way though

That’s that thing though. I couldn’t imagine any other voices from XBC1 other their British English VOs but it’s kinda worse here in XBC2. Like the voices in cutscenes and their actions are mismatched especially Rex’s.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
I personally just used Japanese voices.
The thing holding me back in most games from doing so from the onset are battle voiceovers which aren’t subtitled. I don’t really wanna miss understanding voiced lines that aren’t in chat boxes or subtitled.

I do switch to JP VA on NG+ or on replays.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The thing holding me back in most games from doing so from the onset are battle voiceovers which aren’t subtitled. I don’t really wanna miss understanding voiced lines that aren’t in chat boxes or subtitled.

I do switch to JP VA on NG+ or on replays.
For me the battle voices are not important enough for me to care it has subtitles or not, its better than suffering through english voices.

Moonjt9

They grew on me over the course of the game. I couldn’t stand the Japanese voices during fighting because they were constant and no subtitles. Welsh cat girl is the GOAT too.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I assume these games have British actors just because NoE picked the first one up when NoA refused to localize it? If so, this is hilarious.

Somebody said something about a Welsh Catgirl so I had to look up this game and Yes those voices are very different from what I expected. Lip sync and all.
I just finished The Forgotten City about a Roman City that is populated with the English.

Last edited:
That’s that thing though. I couldn’t imagine any other voices from XBC1 other their British English VOs but it’s kinda worse here in XBC2. Like the voices in cutscenes and their actions are mismatched especially Rex’s.
I would agree that the general quality of voice acting in the first game is slightly better, but I also think it has to do with the tone of the game. XBC2 is a bit more over the top and anime inspired and they embrace that with the voice acting.

SpokkX

Xenoblade 2 was such an awful experience

Looking back at it there was really nothing I liked about it. The voices and acting was surely bad, but the actual gameplay systems were as bad

Chukhopops

Things that are actually worse about XC2:
- the gatcha
- skill checks requiring specific gatcha luck;
- resolution in portable mode giving (or was that fixed, I don’t know);
- combat being a step down from previous games.

Accents were cool actually, gave more personality to characters. I’m playing Tales if Arise now and while the game is insanely good the voices sound so generic I’m considering switching back to Japanese voices.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The dub in XC2 isn’t as good as in XC1 for the main cast (Shulk and Dunban were goddamn perfect), but I enjoyed it anyway. American does not equal good, especially for anime-style games where American VA is predictably forced and sounds awkward (Xenosaga was one notable exception). Japanese isn’t necessarily better to my ears in Xenoblade’s case - listening to XC1’s battle banter in Japanese in some videos didn’t make me regret playing in English one bit.

And yes, Welsh cat girl is the GOAT and I won’t hear bad things about her.

Nia_Peace.gif

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

fuck this game
fuck the graphics
fuck the VA
and fuck everyone that accepts this shit

Last edited:

Soodanim

I've not played XC2, but pulling up cutscene footage is enough to say I don't like Rex's VA. I assume it's Rex. That region of accents is hardly the most pleasing to the ears anyway, and I'm English. I can see why it would take you out of the experience, it belongs in Witcher 2 as one of the commoners.

Fbh

THINK YOU CAN GET ME? DON'T FORGET ME!

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Next time can you add the full name in the thread title?
Like that I won't have to click

keanu-reeves-thank-you.gif

Zannegan

For me it was the costume/character design. The world is cool, the enemies are fine, but every voiced character in the story looks like a complete moron. Weirdly specific, I know.

I didn't mind the accents, though I preferred the original's voice work (most likely due to nothing more than nostalgia).

Top Bottom