• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Gucci trailer is out... and WTF is wrong with them?

INC

This has an OJ vibe (that last series they did)

Like its trying to be a meme of hallmark film, but serious

Odd tone

GymWolf

This is somehow worse than when she had that meat costume...

26f95925250528c0364900f29121bbfc.jpg

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I dunno, come to Italy and have a conversation with Italians who can speak English but can’t be bothered to make an effort and attempt an actual English accent. It’s not that far off. Leto is the only one who really sounds like a parody in this trailer.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Gaga speaking her lines with that fake accent is awful.

Is Ridley Scott trying to prove something by casting her for that role?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Netflix and other streaming services have spoiled me - I much prefer movies where everyone speaks the appropriate language to their situation and background.
I rewatched Taken the other night, and the scene where Liam Neeson is pretending to be a French cop while speaking English is funnier than Maggie Grace's 'running'.

Javthusiast

Banned
I gave up expecting hollywood to nail these accents. Russian accents have been butchered for eternity.

Yeah sounds terrible.
But then again I've always disliked the whole accent thing. Either get actors that can speak the actual language, or just shoot it in english but have the actors speak normally.

Which is why I have so much respect for Chernobyl. The showrunner basically said, instead of them trying to do shitty russian accents they will speak british english etc. and we will just let the viewers assume they speak russian.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I dunno, come to Italy and have a conversation with Italians who can speak English but can’t be bothered to make an effort and attempt an actual English accent. It’s not that far off. Leto is the only one who really sounds like a parody in this trailer.
I’ll take your word for it. But when I spent a weekend in Milan no one sounded Russian. She definitely sounds like a Hollywood Russian to me.

The “Firecracker” line was far and away the worst. They might as well have given Ron Jeremy that Mario costume and stuck him in the movie.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Isn't she of Italian descent?
Yes, and all the people of Russian descent playing bad guys in American movies also have terrible Russian accent.
If they were Americanised during their childhood they have no connection to the country of their parents.

Last edited:

Jasper_Rose_808

Neo Member
As an Italian I can explain this by saying that in Italy the situation with general English knowledge is a disaster: if the majority of young Italians can't speak a word of English (maybe outside of simple sentences like "May I go to the toilet please?"), you can imagine what is the situation with the rest of the population.
In a situation like this someone that can speak English, even with a terrible accent, is C1 by the standard of the country; and I know, it's embarrassing.

KielCasto

Impressive talent behind this movie. Accent sounded Russian to me but maybe because I’m used to hearing Hollywood russian.

Mato

I think the last time I saw Gaga in something and liked it was in The Fame Monster. So yeah, it's been a while. I'm still not convinced she can act.

Relativ9

Hollywood actors doing Continental European accents are almost always terrible, it's easy to notice when it's such a famous and well defined accent like the Italian one, but for example Hollywood has been doing Norwegian (lots of Marvel) accents more and more recently and holy fuck are they terrible, you all just don't realize it cause there are so few of us and you never hear us speak.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
As an Italian I can explain this by saying that in Italy the situation with general English knowledge is a disaster: if the majority of young Italians can't speak a word of English (maybe outside of simple sentences like "May I go to the toilet please?"), you can imagine what is the situation with the rest of the population.
In a situation like this someone that can speak English, even with a terrible accent, is C1 by the standard of the country; and I know, it's embarrassing.
This is not true anymore - smartphones and the pervasiveness of English in science and social studies mean that many Italians born since the mid 90s-early 2Ks can understand and use English a lot better than previous generations. It’s true, though, than many of them can’t be bothered to attempt to sound English, and many can’t conjugate verbs correctly if their lives depended on it. Still, the average level is way beyond what it was 20 years ago, mainly when it comes to understanding written English.

Still waiting for us italians to start crying "racism" about those things.
We’re still too racist ourselves to notice :messenger_grinning_sweat:
But seriously, we’re so used to being stereotyped that nobody’s going to understand why that may be considered a problem in another country.

Top Bottom