• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Housemarque says it wants to create more ‘bigger experiences’ like Returnal

kyoji

A senior director at Housemarque has indicated that the studio would like to create more large scale games similar to Returnal in the future.
Returnal released for PlayStation 5 last month and is the Finnish studio’s largest and most ambitious project, following several decades focused on 2D arcade-style shooters such as Super Stardust HD and Resogun.
To create Returnal, the developer grew to around 75 people and called in the help of various support studios including Sony’s XDdev.
Asked by GameReactor what the company will do next, Housemarque’s marketing director Mikael Haveri indicated that it would like to take on another project similar in scale to Returnal, but didn’t entirely rule out creating more of the smaller arcade shooters it’s known for either.
“We’ve been working on two projects previously, and now with Returnal we have of course only one project,” he said. “It’s hard to say if we will continue with one or two projects in the future, but the idea of us now being able to establish ourselves with Returnal will be defining the future type of titles we want to make.
Housemarque says it wants to create more ‘bigger experiences’ like Returnal.
He added: “The idea is that we now want to show we’re not just a ‘Resogun-studio.’ We can do all kinds of things, and from our studio’s perspective that means that we want to go for these bigger types of experiences.
“Now, we still love arcade. We still love smaller games as well. Who knows? Maybe 26 years in the future we’ll do more of that as well. But that really depends on how successful we are able to build ourselves with the types of experiences that Returnal now is representing.”
Housemarque said last week that it hasn’t yet decided how best to resolve Returnal’s criticised lack of save options, with the issue complicated by different players having different expectations.
In VGC’s Returnal review, critic Chris Scullion said the game’s “constant action and clever semi-procedural structure make it an engaging adventure, not to mention a visually stunning one.
“The lack of any difficulty levels may unfortunately exclude less experienced gamers, but anyone who doesn’t mind dying a bunch of times will thoroughly enjoy themselves.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good news for the fans, they did a killer job at there first crack at triple A, a true dark horse which will no doubt be in the GOTY convo later this year.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You could see they lack experience making bigger budget or rogue games since they had save corruption issues. They've released about 5 patches already in a month, including a patch to over-patch an old patch.

But the studio has a history of solid games in that 75-85 range.

I think their next game is that BR Overwatch kind of game which is probably similar budget to Returnal, so will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Last edited:

kyoji

i cant say for sure but im pretty sure no saving file was a design choice, the game is challenging but its fair and after you know what youre doing its really not difficult at all. anytime i died and i wasnt on an active play through i just closed the game, theres short cuts to get back to any biome already cleared. I think whats most interesting is that they were working on not one but 2 projects...

Fredrik

As a fan of their old shmups who hasn’t got to play Returnal yet I’m getting nervous about that maybe 26 years in the future line.

Stuart360

What ever happened to that BR they were making, Storm Raiders or something?

EDIT. Stormdivers, this one -

I know they put it on hold to do Returnal, but cant see anything about them going back to it. It still has a Steam page up.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Returnal is one of those rare gems where all elements come together so perfectly.

I was absolutely dubious about the £70 price tag. Gaf sold it to me, and I’m grateful you did, mainly Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem . It’s an absolutely incredible game.

I’m so glad they get to make something else.

Wow, glad I helped you get it! I actually thought my review would've driven some to not buy it expecting it to be as quick as I did it. I was 100% honest though with how I felt about the game, although it felt a bit short to me and that's part of the 8.5/10 instead of a higher score along with the no saves.

I would love this game to me open world with more explorations and nothing to do with roguelike, because I'm still not a fan of roguelikes.

Multiplayer version of this game could go well if done right

Im Sure Tonight Show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I get that Sony prefers these kind of third party deals, but I think Housemarque and BluePoint have proven themselves time and time again that they can deliver great games. Sony should seriously consider acquiring them.

Some studios don't want to be acquired, so it's either asking too high pricetag or impossible price to take be a good investment.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I would love this game to me open world with more explorations and nothing to do with roguelike, because I'm still not a fan of roguelikes.
I thought Returnal was like a Metroid game. What makes it a roguelike? Is the maps and enemy spawns randomized? I’m not too familiar with the genre to be honest.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

I know they put it on hold to do Returnal, but cant see anything about them going back to it. It still has a Steam page up.

That was battle royale BS.

I thought Returnal was like a Metroid game. What makes it a roguelike? Is the maps and enemy spawns randomized? I’m not too familiar with the genre to be honest.

You die, you start from the beginning with zero progression except for very few permanent stuff.

Last edited:

Fredrik

You die, you start from the beginning with zero progression except for very few permanent stuff.
Ah I have some experience with that as an old timer, was standard practise back then lol

Standard playthrough:
Awesome game wow - Dead - Okay... Again! - Dead - Okay okay I got it now - Dead - Nah I’m done - Wait... Maybe one final attempt - Dead - Gaaaah! I hate this game!!! - Dead - Aaaargh! Final time now!!! - Dead - #%#%^*%# - Dead - *crying* - Dead - *apathy* - Dead - Dead - Dead - Finished! The end! Best game everrr!!

Can’t wait to play this! 😁👌

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member

If I recall correctly, they weren't confident in it before they put it on hold. I remember an interview where they pretty much said they expected it to fail. I can't remember if they felt battle royale was on the decline at the time or if they felt like it was already saturated with big names that wouldn't make much room for them.

GuinGuin

Banned
It flopped in Japan. We don't know how it did elsewhere because we have no concrete numbers.

I hope Sony keeps giving them money despite sales not being too hot. They're a great dev.

There is no proof it flopped there either. Physical sales numbers are useless when digital is preferred by most people, there is a pandemic, and half of all PS5s don't even take discs.

There is no proof it flopped there either. Physical sales numbers are useless when digital is preferred by most people, there is a pandemic, and half of all PS5s don't even take discs.
Digital isn't big in Japan. We know that Returnal had 40-60% sell-through of available physical copies, same as RE 8, which had a 20% digital ratio.

Btw, only 16% of PS5s in Japan don't take discs.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
Digital isn't big in Japan. We know that Returnal had 40-60% sell-through of available physical copies, same as RE 8, which had a 20% digital ratio.

Btw, only 16% of PS5s in Japan don't take discs.

You got some bad info. It's been trending digital HARD for years. They are still in covid lock down too.

GuinGuin

Banned
Thanks for posting several year old random data that's behind a paywall. My point still stands.

And the trend will continue. It's not behind a pay wall in my end. You don't have a point because you're just posting an opinion without facts to back it up. Do you have any data backing your opinion?

Kokoloko85

Ill be buying there next game for sure. Loved Returnal, Resogun etc

And people asking for a save file. Actually play the game....

The games saves your progress after your beat a boss. So you can skip the levels. And when you finish level 3. You Perma start at level 4.... then you beat level 5/6 you start teleport right there after a few rooms. Save files would make it too easy

Its actually easier than Souls games by far

Last edited:
And the trend will continue. It's not behind a pay wall in my end. You don't have a point because you're just posting an opinion without facts to back it up. Do you have any data backing your opinion?
I literally used the data we have from recent Japan sales. I feel like you're trolling. If you keep pushing I'll find out whose alt account you are :messenger_tongue:

Top Bottom