• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How about an easy mode for Elden Ring?

Bartski

Gold Member
Here we go again.

Even before any official information about the gameplay was made public, gaming outlets are already starting to ask for an "easy mode" to be implemented in the game.
Dead horse flogging reasoning as usual, at least this time without pretending it's about protecting physically impaired gamers, but those are 100% sure to arrive as we get closer to reveal and release.

When they do, I'll be collecting them in this thread! :messenger_poop:

Firstly, having a number of sliders and options for combat could make the game’s many encounters far more manageable. With Elden Ring’s assist mode on, it could enable a multitude of creative modifiers, from weapon reach, parry times, and stamina usage, to enemy damage, regenerative health, or the removal of status ailments. While Souls purists may see this as a dumbing down, others will see this crucial customisation as nothing but empowering, allowing them to beat Elden Ring in a way that works for them.

An assist mode in Elden Ring might also guide players who might struggle with the series’ hands-off approach to exploration and progress. It’s always been easy to get lost in Dark Souls, as the sprawling, interweaving worlds can be quite intimidating with little in the way of signposts – a simple waypoint system could nudge players towards the next area without necessarily holding their hand. It would be way less immersion-breaking than stopping to pull up a wiki or video guide, that’s for sure.

mike myers no GIF

Worry not, looks like FROM didn't lose touch with reality and no casual difficulty settings will be there in the game, as confirmed by the vetted Era leaker.

EDIT 12.06: as promised, I'll be updating this OP with more articles and youtube videos of the same sort for your viewing and debating pleasure, guaranteed to appear as we come closer to the release.

Here is gamingbible, explaining how From must not leave inept gamers behind:
Some of those players will be willing and able (able being the operative word here) to really master what this new adventure requires of them and push on. Others will not be so lucky. Do we really leave those people behind? Do we really tell players who are stuck on a ludicrously demanding boss battle that they don't get to explore anymore of this brand-new open-world game? One of the most-anticipated releases of 2022, at that? I'm not sure about that. I'm not sure about that at all.
Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro should all have given us the ability to tone certain elements down. There's a reason there are popular PC mods for these games that do this, because people want to play FromSoftware games without getting their asses kicked every single night. That's not relaxing for everyone. For the last decade, FromSoftware has put out hit after hit, but it keeps making the same mistake.
Elden Ring is a chance for the studio to cast its net as wide as possible, to bring in an entirely new generation of gamers and win over everyone who ever said the Dark Souls franchise was too much work for them. Elden Ring can be the hardest and most brutal FromSoftware game yet for those who want it to be, and it can also be a far less intense open-world adventure RPG for those who just want to explore and enjoy what promises to be a particularly twisted and unusual fantasy tale.

Nerdshot, arguing for difficulty modifiers = accessibility

I see people argue that difficulty and accessibility are often confused, but they're becoming the same damn thing

Phoenix Stockdale is a Dark Souls master but he thinks Elden Ring SHOULD have an easy mode, because:

- other gamers than himself are disabled
- creating an easy mode is easy to do
- what if you don't want a hard game but still want to play a souls game
- had a stressful day at work and home and just wanna relax and blow off some steam

EDIT: After some interviews given by Hidetaka Miyazaki about the game, turns out the game may, in fact, be easier than FROM Software last two titles, being Sekiro and Bloodborne, due to the amount of options given to the player for a creative, strategic approach to combat.

Needless to say, it came across as a giant W to some outlets known for totally missing the point and promoting the idea of creating challenge-less modes in games that are all about the challenge.

The article itself doesn't do much beyond delivering the "good news" once again making this about accessibility
I don’t expect Elden Ring to end the difficulty arguments, but it’s nice to hear what From Software is doing to make its wonderful, epic adventures more accessible.
It's obviously #notgoodenough for most commenting readers, stating clearly what kind of accessibility is really on-demand here:
Difficulty options do nothing except expand the potential number of people who will play the game. I don’t give a fuck if I’m cHeAtInG mYsElF out of some arbitrary experience. I just want to get through the game without wasting a lot of my precious time. And it’s the developer’s right to not include difficulty options if they feel like it. Nothing wrong with that. I’m just sad I probably won’t play this, just like I was sad I skipped Sekiro, as cool as that game looks. I got other things - and other games - to fill my time with than bashing my head against the wall trying to git gud, because I fully admit I’m not good at FS-style games :/

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Would be perfect but it won't happen because... you know... "artistic vision", "game not for you", "magic is easy mode", "git gud", "hardcore fan betrayal", "option is bad", bla bla bla, well as usual.

Have a good day... and good luck.

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

No, souls games isn’t even that hard. They usually have like 2-3 tough boss fights MAX. The levels can be tricky but that’s the beauty of the series.

Josemayuste

I would love to see game journalist’s reaction to Magnamalo fight in MHRise demo.
Ejq5_NhXkAMiNID.jpg:large

This guy is waaaay harder than any Soul/Sekiro bosses.

I can't recall a harder monster in all of the Monster Hunter saga, maybe in rusty, but I find his movement routines the hardest to predict, yeah.

Shrap

The dead horse is meat paste at this point. A significant contributing factor to From Software's success in recent times is due to their reputation for making challenging games without an easy mode. Why would they change what is working for them?

If you can't handle it then don't cover it. Same as a film critic who can't stomach a Lars Von Trier film. There isn't any one game made for anyone, nor does there need to be. That's a great indicator of free creativity and healthy diversity.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
More proof that modern Game Journalists just ain't it mang.

I for one understand where they're coming from but the implementation of it in a game like Elden Ring would nullify and therefore ruin the whole pure core essence of the experience the artists finely want to convey.

You can want an easy mode, but if it detracts so much it destroys the pure initial fundamental experience... I mean.. its actually pretty fucking assholish to even post an article like that where it reads like their take is a fucking given and oh so normal..

I doubt the writer doesnt know what he wrote is wack but inclusion signaling = views = mahneyy I guess??

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I for one understand where they're coming from but the implementation of it in a game like Elden Ring would nullify and therefore ruin the whole pure core essence of the experience the artists finely want to convey.

You can want an easy mode, but if it detracts so much it destroys the pure initial fundamental experience... I mean..
Exactly.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I can't recall a harder monster in all of the Monster Hunter saga, maybe in rusty, but I find his movement routines the hardest to predict, yeah.
This guy can reach you across the map and he hits like a fucking truck, also you only have 15 minutes to beat him.

Last edited:

Philfrag

Banned
Having options and modifiers in a game is great, but if included should be an unlock-able once you finish the game. Especially with a FromSoftware game. I know these articles are clickbait but if you don't want to play a From game then don't play one. Its so strange to me that some people want the devs to make a game that goes against their own design philosophies and market share for people who don't like these games anyway.

Yet here i am....baited into giving this discourse value by committing time to write this shit. See you guys in a few months when we get another one of these articles.

Knightime_X

Souls community would rather go to hell 40x over than allow their game to be accessible to those interested in playing but lack the skill.
Just bypass every "no" ever by playing on PC with a trainer.
It's going to be your one and only best option.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I was really campaigning for an easy mode in Demons Souls Remake before it came out but then I played it as a magic built and it was a perfect experience. Not too hard and very addictive and fun. One of the best games I have ever played.

If they do something similar in Elden Ring it will be fine but no parry please. I hate that shit in Sekiro and I gave up on it.

Raven117

Gold Member
Nah. And From doesn't look like they are in any way considering it either.

Im sure there will be some builds in the game that are easier than others. (Like Royal in Demon's), there is your easy mode.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It's to bad we'll be getting alot of kneejerk reactions saying NO and gitgud etc, you can already see it on the page..While agreeing on one level with this sentiment I feel like difficulty sliders for a myriad of facets in a game could work very well and even increase the playerbase because of this. Take racing games for example; in the end you are able to adjust your experience regarding difficulty/challenge in a very nuanced way in a variety of ways. Racing line, braking markers, assists, etc. A purist could argue, and I would agree, that the core intended experience would be very watered down if not void with these sliders up to 11, for me it helped me get into the experience gradually so therefore it has it use and place. But gaming is complex when it comes to these issues and while i see a purpose for this sentiment it's all about when, where, how, or if all to implement it, I guess.

Stuart360

It's to bad we'll be getting alot of kneejerk reactions saying NO and gitgud etc, you can already see it on the page..While agreeing on one level with this sentiment I feel like difficulty sliders for a myriad of facets in a game could work very well and even increase the playerbase because of this. Take racing games for example; in the end you are able to adjust your experience regarding difficulty/challenge in a very nuanced way in a variety of ways. Racing line, braking markers, assists, etc. A purist could argue, and I would agree, that the core intended experience would be very watered down if not void with these sliders up to 11, for me it helped me get into the experience gradually so therefore it has it use and place. But gaming is complex when it comes to these issues and while i see a purpose for this sentiment it's all about when, where, how, or if all to implement it, I guess.
There are hundreds of games released every year, there are games for everyone, and games that are not for certain people. If you cant, or are not willing to put the time and effort into a hard game, then that game isnt for you.
We always moan about censorship in games, agenda's in games etc, but is putting easy difficulties into hard games to please certains ections really any different?

Last edited:

Get good, kid

Pejo

The difficulty is absolutely core to the experience in FROM's souls-formula games. There are a great many fans of this core experience. There are a metric shitload of other games with all sorts of difficulty options/cheats/etc. As a big fan of the souls games, I absolutely have a valid criticism that they should not appease "expanded userbase" maybes at the expense of the fans of the series.

The problem with this comparison is that Soulsbourne isn't like Forza, it's not an arcadesim...it's more like iRacing, which doesn't have assists and practically requires a wheel setup. An easy mode would defeat the entire purpose of the series. The whole point is to be brutally difficult and kill you over and over and over and over until you either give up...or overcome the challenge.

V4skunk

Banned
I think Fromsoft should have an easy mode but only if it punishes those that select it!
Easy mode should have no coop, no invasions and every enemy and boss dies in 1 hit. To cap it off no achievements / trophy's for easy mode.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
There are hundreds of games released every year, there are games for everyone, and games that are not for certain people. If you cant, or are not willing to put the time and effort into a hard game, then that game isnt for you.
We always moan about censorship in games, agenda's in games etc, but is putting easy difficulties into hard games to please certains ections really any different?

I know and agree with your stance. I was thinking past that and philosophizing about the general implementation of difficulty sliders in whichever way in whichever game which is difficult and not always something that has to be there in the first place. Read my first and second post in this thread. My nuance and not making this especially about ER was lost on you it seems. I blame my poor English

Stuart360

I know and agree with your stance. I was thinking past that and philosophizing about the general implementation of difficulty sliders in whichever way in whichever game which is difficult and not always something that has to be there in the first place. Read my first and second post in this thread. My nuance and not making this especially about ER was lost on you it seems. I blame my poor English
No your post is fine. When i was saying 'you' i didnt mean you in paticular. I should of said 'they' really

Sakura

I don't really understand the desire for an easy mode in souls games.
The entire point of the game is skill based gameplay etc. You don't beat a boss so you can watch some story heavy cutscene and move the plot forward, you do it for the gratification and satisfaction of managing to overcome that challenge.

Top Bottom