• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Alien Isolation Survived its Difficult Development | Noclip

Arachnid

For the love of god, please give me a sequel. Best survival horror game this gen.

On a semi-related note, Alien Isolations AI for the Xeno is the best AI I've seen in a game. I'm glad the devs put so many resources into it alone. I saw a video a while back explaining how they made the AI to make the xeno an independent entity. It's always searching the map. It doesn't just despawn. It's just in another room or another section of the map. If you hear it in the ducts above the map in a random room, it's actually there. It uses sight and sound to actively search for humans. It also learns from the player and adapts if they tend to do the same chit. It searches in ducts and under tables if that's your go to, it learns to work around flamethrowers if you overuse that to fight it off, (etc...). On top of all that, it's quicker than you so you cant outrun it and it is always a one hit kill if it gets its hands on you. Insane AI and it's legit what I expected from next gen back when the XO and PS4 were launching. Devs just don't put that kind of effort in. No matter how many playthroughs I've had, that thing has never gotten predictable. I've never gotten comfortable with it.

Meanwhile, a AAA dev like Capcom makes Mr. X, who comes off straight up retarded when compared to the Xeno.

Esca

One of my fav games this gen. I hope we see a sequel. He'll I'll take aremake with RT .
My only complaint about the game was one you got the flamethrower the alien was no longer a threat basically

ManaByte

One of my fav games this gen. I hope we see a sequel. He'll I'll take aremake with RT .
My only complaint about the game was one you got the flamethrower the alien was no longer a threat basically

They kind of did a sequel/spin off on mobile.

DustQueen

Banned
Game had it's problems, like Alien going full retard from time to time and it's A.I. getting help by binding creature to u, writing as far as characters go was not that great(the story(if u look into station workers computer files) it self wasn't actually bad at all) but it is clearly such a labor of love.
Playing it on hard and up makes human encounters very realistic that adds to "actually stuck for 30 hours on the space station with fucking Alien feel", GFX is fucking amazing and when it has it's moments - IT HAS IT'S fucking moments. Switch version is just a jawdroppin port.
People should support games like this. It is maybe junky in some parts, but so far removed from being a cynical, corporate generic crap our industry shits out these days.

Last edited:

Denton

It may not have been flawless but together with AvP2 it is still the best Alien game ever made and really just kinda masterpiece. Really wish we would get a proper sequel someday.

DustQueen

Banned
Played it for like 1.5 hours and so far have not seen a hint of an alien and it has been boring as fuck, does it get better soon?

Alien appears about 2,5 hours into the game.
But it needs to be repeated that u shouldn't play it on lower then hard difficulty n Read shit on computers. This all ll make those hours pretty great n then Alien appears n u r fucked...unless it ll have aneurism moment, when those happen it's pure comedy gold)

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Alien: Isolation is my favorite horror game of all time (right next to Resident Evil remake) and it's one of my favorite games of all time.

No matter how many times I replay it, it never fails to scare the crap out of me.

It had the misfortune of following James Cameron's tripe and suffered for it.

Top Bottom