• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are the robotech DVDs from ADV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggy Loop

I've never watched robotech actually, always been meaning to but i've only stumbled on the first 3 episodes, which seemed good. I always hear about how its a classic, now i want to see the whole thing.

ADV has the remastered extended version, how are they quality wise? Also for the macross collection, the remastered DVDs has 3 volumes for it, while ADV's previous robotech macross DVDs had 6 vol, more episodes per DVD or there's a catch? Its not like ADV to reduce the number of DVDs, i find it suspicious ;)

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
DO NOT BUY THE REMASTERED EXTENDED VERSIONS OF ROBOTECH!!

I don't know what ADV Films was thinking, but the only hype these remastered versions going for it are just a couple of seconds of footage here and there per episode. The additional footage was extracted from the original Macross series and inserted accordingly. Even in theory this sucks, since the footage doesn't EVEN ADD ANYTHING TO THE STORY. Just a couple of extended shots here and there that quite frankly serves no purpose.

Also, the overall picture quality is off, with washed out colors with no recomposition whatsoever for the additional seconds of footage. What a waste and joke.

To make matters worse, ADV Films thought it would be cool to add and mix new sound effects where they saw fit. THIS MOVE DOESN'T WORK AS YOU'LL HEAR CRAPPY "WHOOSHING" AND "PINGING" SOUNDS THAT CHEAPENS THE EXPERIENCE. Stupid, stupid!

The ONLY good thing to say about these remastered editions is the audio is presented in Dolby Digitial 5.1 audio. But since the sound effects are shit, what's the freakin' point!!??

If you want to experience the Robotech saga in its original glory, seek out the original Macross DVD sets.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

bjork

Kumiko> by "a few seconds of added footage" do you mean like in the first episode where it shows Minmei and the little boy with the coke machine, and then later when it shows her go upstairs before Rick crashes through her window and whatnot?

I noticed that stuff missing, but I also remember seeing it in the old Harmony Gold videotapes, so I dunno...

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
bjork said:
Kumiko> by "a few seconds of added footage" do you mean like in the first episode where it shows Minmei and the little boy with the coke machine, and then later when it shows her go upstairs before Rick crashes through her window and whatnot?

I noticed that stuff missing, but I also remember seeing it in the old Harmony Gold videotapes, so I dunno...

Yeah, it's stuff like that. ADV Films went in and edited things here and there, removing things, and adding an extra second or two of say...an exterior shot, a different camera angle, extended pans, etc. And since the "new" footage is so trivial, its just a bunch of hooey. The only thing I thought was ok were the new "overlays" of the episode number during the intros and stuff, but since all the negatives outweigh any of the so-called redeeming additions, the entire experience becomes moot.

Drensch

I have the macross Remasters. I think they're pretty good. The video quality isn't perfect, but I hear all the other versions are really bad. And for 15$ per set it isn't bad for 12 eps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom