• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How BioWare's Anthem Went Wrong [article by J. Schreier, Kotaku]

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don't really have an opinion on Jason Schrier as a journalist. Maybe I don't follow him close enough on Twitter or read most of his articles. As this is one of the only articles I've read...taken at face value I think the article is very informative. I've always wondered just how EA figures out how to screw it's developers. I've also wondered how much of this falls on the developer itself. This article at the very least lends some perspective to both questions. Even if Jason Schrier has a narrative to push, as long as what he's saying in this article is true and the information isn't omitting large details that could potentially change ones opinions, then you should look at the work as solid journalism.

The point is, we all know Anthem is not what we hoped it would be. We speculated all through its development that it was in trouble due to the departures of seasoned veterans. We rejoiced when Casey Hudson came back into the fold. Now we have more information about this development cycle than one could ever expect and people are dismissing it because it's Jason Schrier? Seriously? Is it because he's from Kotaku, which seems to have an Xbox-leaning bias?

It just doesn't seem to make sense why he's met with so much vitriol on what seems to me like an unprecedented look into the development hell of one of the most anticipated games of this year.

Seriously, shame on you if you can't put your personal bias aside for this.

That is the problem with Jason Schreier - this is not the typical work he publishes. The majority of what he writes is clickbait or written to push a very specific narrative (the Rockstar scandal). When he wants to, he can put out damn good, non-biased pieces, so when you typically see him go for the idiotic click bait and "GAMERS ARE DEAD" shit, it gets infuriating.

I remember someone putting it in a tweet succinctly:
"You know he can do good work, so seeing him routinely go the opposite direction is just frustrating."

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The issue is that I’m extremely fucking depressed lately and in chronic pain that nobody can help with (which obviously nobody would care about anyways). I’ve been so close to the edge lately. I don’t think I’m worth shit. I’m working my ass off but I don’t know why. Things are not good.

That’s nobody’s problem but my own obviously but the viciousness of people’s reactions to something that they totally misread doesn’t sit well with me and since I’m in bad shape, I’m overreacting like an asshole.

So now that I’ve demonstrated how messed up I am in this state I’m sure I’ll get dog piled for it.

I think very poorly of myself, am hideously ugly, constantly dealing with shitty messages, feel like shit everyday, etc. So I’m not acting rationally currently. That’s basically it.

I apologize for acting like a jerk then. That’s not right. I don’t want to be that way.
I sincerely hope you find better times. Please don't let any forum bullshit affect you in real life. If my thoughts posted within this thread seemed callous or made you feel belittled than I am sorry. At the end of the day, we are all just assholes spouting off in here, in what I hope is in good fun.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I think very poorly of myself, am hideously ugly, constantly dealing with shitty messages, feel like shit everyday, etc. So I’m not acting rationally currently. That’s basically it.

dude, you may be developing body dysmorphic disorder too. some people are "internalizers" who self hate and wallow in it because it "feels right" when the reality of the situation is much more complicated. you should seek out a therapist who can help you with cognitive behavioral therapy. it will give you tools to see maladaptive coping, to help you process and question automatic negative thoughts and figure out what's wrong in your life and slowly make changes to it

D dark10x just wanted to say I appreciate the hard work you do as well as participating here.

I’m sure many here feel the same way.

What do you think Soto?
PeskyBronzeDogwoodtwigborer-max-1mb.gif

Soto agreed!

nowhat

Honestly, though, the reaction to that misunderstanding makes it pretty fucking clear that I am not welcome here any longer. So fuck all of you. I'm gone.
While this forum may be something of a "wild wild west", you shouldn't feel that way over a couple of random wankers. There will always be the edgelords of the Internet, but you should just tune out. They are not worth your time.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
That is the problem with Jason Schreier - this is not the typical work he publishes. The majority of what he writes is clickbait or written to push a very specific narrative (the Rockstar scandal). When he wants to, he can put out damn good, non-biased pieces, so when you typically see him go for the idiotic click bait and "GAMERS ARE DEAD" shit, it gets infuriating.

I remember someone putting it in a tweet succinctly:
"You know he can do good work, so seeing him routinely go the opposite direction is just frustrating."

Ok, noted and mind you, this article probably won't make me follow Jason Schrier closer than I am now. However, you do make clear why there is such backlash. So he plays for the clicks though he should be standing on the merit of his work. You can't argue with his popularity. I mean you have gaming journalists...then you have Jason Schrier, it's like he's notorious in the industry. If this has been his practice and it's got him here, be it because of it or despite it, one would have to argue that whatever he's doing....just works.

nowhat

If my thoughts posted within this thread seemed callous or made you feel belittled than I am sorry. At the end of the day, we are all just assholes spouting off in here, in what I hope is in good fun.
It would though be interesting to know what you do for a living - a hard construction worker, or what? Since you seem to be all so resilient to mental, or physical, difficulties in your choice of profession.

OldGamer

I'm more curious--how many people have faith in Dragon Age 4 after all this? Seems to be the last hurrah for the studio as I have little faith this game will be fixed through patches

I can see breakdowns happening after continual critical bombs for a studio that was otherwise viewed as incredibly innovative and important to the gaming industry for decades. Especially so in context of EA and their history of closing studios. People devoting years of their life to a product that ends up badly, along with hoards of trolls now hating you as a studio as if you killed their child, has got to be incredibly demotivating to move forward from.

I really don't think the breakdowns are caused by critics or the consumers so much, really. Maybe one of many factors that cause the upper management to put pressure on the teams but not overall.

In the case of Andromeda and Anthem, I think it has more to do with bad management. And this is not just on EA's front. Poor company management has a serious effect on morale and also usually creates situations like the mad rushes seen in the development of these games. It becomes less of a company you have faith in and more of one you just soldier through until a better opportunity becomes available or simply because there are good insurance benefits.

Particularly in the case of Anthem, it seems they spent way too much time rolling the ball around in locking the story end premise and what kind of game it was going to be. The pre-production was overcooked and there really were no internal deadlines keeping production at a steady pace. So when EA goes out and makes its own deadline after some years, they are ill-prepared to meet it. And this is on top of Andromeda which fell into a similar problem. So compounding those two game crunches back to back, that's a recipe for burn-out.

iconmaster

Banned
So now that I’ve demonstrated how messed up I am in this state I’m sure I’ll get dog piled for it.

Not at all. Probably if you posted about some of this in Off Topic you'd get some supportive and even helpful posts.

It's natural to do so, but try not to let a few people color your view of the whole forum. Most of us are glad for anyone from Digital Foundry to chime in here.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Ok, noted and mind you, this article probably won't make me follow Jason Schrier closer than I am now. However, you do make clear why there is such backlash. So he plays for the clicks though he should be standing on the merit of his work. You can't argue with his popularity. I mean you have gaming journalists...then you have Jason Schrier, it's like he's notorious in the industry. If this has been his practice and it's got him here, be it because of it or despite it, one would have to argue that whatever he's doing....just works.

He wasn't always this awful. Prior to the whole 2014 incident, there was far less of a push with the social justice ideology and more of the typical gaming journalism most fondly remember - this is where a lot of his connections were built. He thinks he is infallible, given these connections and his interviews (such as with YongYea). He is losing fans at a pretty good pace and I don't see him having a sustainable career in the coming years.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Jason always has that "angle" so of course he only publish examples that fit the narrative he wants to push.

U N I O N I Z E

as if that was his place. Let actual developers organize you know?

What's interesting to me about this controversy is that we had a EA dev here who kept going on about how he was boycotting RDR2 and Rockstar games because of the crunch and glassdoor reviews. Then he moved to the other place and he was always very active in RDR2 threads saying how he was boycotting it. Raging Spaniard was it?

I wonder how he must feel now that EA is in the news for same/worst behaviour lol.

ultrazilla

D dark10x You are not alone. I always look forward to your videos and like your commentary on the analysis videos! I know I'm just some random dude on a gaming
forum but I suffer from a lot of similiar issues as well. I'm also older at 47 and while I don't have all of life's answers, I've been through a lot.

If you ever need someone to talk to I'll never turn away a private message or the chance to try to help others. Stay strong.

eot

Banned
Frostbite sounds like exactly the reason why you'd pay for a professional, well documented and supported solution.

Yeah, dark, video game journalist is right behind astronaut, Navy SEAL, quantum physicist, and neurosurgeon IMO.
I like that you posted a high school physics video along with all the other stuff :p

Last edited:

Xenon

D dark10x Sorry things are so fucked up for you. Hope you get better. It's nice to see a familiar tag from the past.

Reading through this article it's hard to get past that Jason is just propping up the drama for what essentially boils down to mismanagement, bad habits catching up with BioWare and Frostbite(it has teeth ya know). It's still interesting I just roll my eyes a lot. Also it seems like one huge problem is the team seems focused on having something cool to show rather than something fun to play.

Last edited:

anothertech

I know, I’ve been doing weeks of 14 hour days. Never going out. Barely doing anything. Hardly spending time with my family. Always in pain. Shit is bad.

Having a tough time finding the help I need since my German sucks too.

I know there’s plenty of good folks out there but, man, do I feel messed up.

I see your studying chemistry, btw, which is cool. My wife has a PhD in chemical engineering and has a boat load of patents now which always blows my mind. She’s at least achieved something and is the reason I hang on (well, and the little one).
Don’t leave mate. You are one of the few good ones in these parts :)

Hang in there

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The issue is that I’m extremely fucking depressed lately and in chronic pain that nobody can help with (which obviously nobody would care about anyways). I’ve been so close to the edge lately. I don’t think I’m worth shit. I’m working my ass off but I don’t know why. Things are not good.

That’s nobody’s problem but my own obviously but the viciousness of people’s reactions to something that they totally misread doesn’t sit well with me and since I’m in bad shape, I’m overreacting like an asshole.

I apologize for acting like a jerk then. That’s not right. I don’t want to be that way.

Not true at all dealing with chronic pain takes a huge toll on someone and people actually do care especially those of us also dealing with chronic pain.

I was in a terrible auto accident in Nov of 2000 and it cut short a very nice career I had made for myself.

My body was totally crushed because an 80 year old man blew a stop sign and T Boned our car.

It took 6 months before I could bathe myself.

It took 3 years before I could without the use of any walking aids.

It took about 7 years before I could walk through the store with my wife without needing to sit down for breaks.

I have been dealing with terrible chronic pain for over 19 years now, people do understand.

zwiggelbig

The problems with Anthem remind me of the problems with Mass Effect: Andromeda. No one had a clear vision of what the game was supposed to be, and the team leads kept leaving. Both games seemed to originate around abstract ideas as opposed to gameplay loops.

I don't understand why game developers and publishers can't stick to what they know and are good at doing. Why tackle something you have no experience in, no real fanbase for, and lack the technical ability to complete? Both Bioware and Bethesda went well out of their wheelhouse with their respective latest games, and they both failed miserably. Their fans wanted more of what made those studios successful, and instead got incomplete, buggy disappointments. Bioware could have made a solo/coop experience in a new universe that would have probably been easier on development, easier to sell to fans, and done better financially. Ugh.

If they do it wel. It can lead to great succes. See horizon zero dawn

Harlock

Thankfully, that’s doing extremely well and I do enjoy it mostly despite working too many hours. The problems are mainly internal. I honestly can’t deal with the physical pain and that’s amplifying everything to the extreme.

Hope you get well. Your work is great. In my top 5 things on the entire Youtube.

Hendrick's

It would though be interesting to know what you do for a living - a hard construction worker, or what? Since you seem to be all so resilient to mental, or physical, difficulties in your choice of profession.
I am an engineer now, but I have come a long way to get here later in life than typical. I have worked in factories doing mindless repetitive tasks, operated machinery, construction, landscaping, heat treatment plant, and hazardous material removal among other shitty jobs. I hated every one of those jobs and a few of my first engineering jobs as well. Because of that misery though, I found the will and quite honestly the necessity to better my circumstances. It sure as shit wasn't easy or fun, but I never blamed my employers or anyone for where I was at. I just knew I needed to work harder or in some cases, play the game of life a little better.

And still I am not at a place in life where everything is perfect, far from it. But then again, being too comfortable only leads to complacency.

Anyway, that's the last I will comment on this, because this is a gaming forum and I come here mostly to forget about the challenges of real life.

Last edited:

Yoda

Can BioWare survive this? I think of all the times people post the meme of them getting added to all the dead EA studios, but normally it's just tongue in cheek... Two massive misses, and the only other game in the pipeline (DA) doesn't really fit EA's GaaS model.

nowhat

Because of that misery though, I found the will and quite honestly the necessity to better my circumstances. It sure as shit wasn't easy or fun, but I never blamed my employers or anyone for where I was at. I just knew I needed to work harder or in some cases, play the game of life a little better.
You said that's the last you'll comment on this, but I'll just try - were you ever asked, and did you, do twice the hours you were required to by contract, for the same salary, for the expectation of some kind of bonus (that may never materialize)? Or just for the love of the craft?

That's the thing about crunch. Personally, I'm a web dev and luckily also a partner in the company I work for - if I want to say "screw you guys, I'm going home" for a couple of days, I do so. The people I know who work for Intel/NVidia are highly valued professionals, they don't do overtime unless paid really well for it. The ones that work for mobile studios - well, they're kind of dead inside. But they don't do overtime either.

But the ones working for the "real" game studios, they can do pretty shitty hours, for the compensation. I don't think that's right. I wouldn't do it, even if I enjoy the fruit of their labour.

DanielsM

Banned
Not even close.

That's where the fun is. It's not EA's fault, for the most part.

Counting the beans before one line of code is written is my guess. To me they are soul less.

Companies like From Software I respect, do they make mistakes, sure. Do they have buggy games, sure. Do they need to make money, absolutely to continue to create. Do I love all their games, no. But their games show passion and their willingness to create something from nothing, its not just a job or a share price. There is an accounting side to any business, but when it comes to media/entertainment you better have some passion for your craft or eventually its not going to work. If you're solely looking at the beans before one line of code is written - chances are its going to backfire eventually. (that doesn't mean everyone at EA is crap either)

Anthem was a lie from the beginning, it just wasn't a very original lie, imo.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I think EA needs to take Frostbite out on a "walk" soon. That engine sounds like a pile of dogshit. Not even DICE can make it work right if jackfrags and westie are to be believed.

Just use UE4 or build a new engine from scratch that is more modular.

I mean I have never heard someone bad mouth ue4 like frostbite gets shit on by ex devs after every release. The engine problems are to be expected for everything EA puts out which should be a red flag.

Hendrick's

You said that's the last you'll comment on this, but I'll just try - were you ever asked, and did you, do twice the hours you were required to by contract, for the same salary, for the expectation of some kind of bonus (that may never materialize)? Or just for the love of the craft?

That's the thing about crunch. Personally, I'm a web dev and luckily also a partner in the company I work for - if I want to say "screw you guys, I'm going home" for a couple of days, I do so. The people I know who work for Intel/NVidia are highly valued professionals, they don't do overtime unless paid really well for it. The ones that work for mobile studios - well, they're kind of dead inside. But they don't do overtime either.

But the ones working for the "real" game studios, they can do pretty shitty hours, for the compensation. I don't think that's right. I wouldn't do it, even if I enjoy the fruit of their labour.
Honestly that's the way it goes with salary jobs. I have absolutely worked 70+ hour weeks for months at a time in order to get critical projects done. Ultimately, if that was something I couldn't handle or if I was being used up, I found new work. That said, sometimes I have worked excessive hours because I have been passionate and in some ways consumed with what I was working on. Not saying that is sustainable, but it can be sort of exhilerating and satisfying at times. At the end of the day, I think we all want to get to a place where we can relax a bit and make our own hours, but I think that comes with a whole lot of hard work and sacrifice.

I think EA needs to take Frostbite out on a "walk" soon. That engine sounds like a pile of dogshit. Not even DICE can make it work right if jackfrags and westie are to be believed.

Just use UE4 or build a new engine from scratch that is more modular.

I mean I have never heard someone bad mouth ue4 like frostbite gets shit on by ex devs after every release. The engine problems are to be expected for everything EA puts out which should be a red flag.

If EA was smart about it they should have put a Frostbite team into place who builds tools for Frostbite and troubleshoots issues with the various dev teams under the EA umbrella that are trying to use the engine to build a game. If they wanted to put out a company wide everyone use Frostbite policy they should at least have a support and dev team that only deals with Frostbite.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
I worked salary for 25+ years. Never worked more than ~50 hours in a single week.

It isn't a salary thing, it is an "industry plagued by mismanagement" thing.

Can BioWare survive this? I think of all the times people post the meme of them getting added to all the dead EA studios, but normally it's just tongue in cheek... Two massive misses, and the only other game in the pipeline (DA) doesn't really fit EA's GaaS model.

The studio that made Andromeda no longer exists. They were absorbed. So in reality, that Bioware didn't survive Andromeda. Whether or not this Bioware survives Anthem will probably depend entirely on how close they get to EA internal projections for sales and after-the-initial-sale revenue.

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
Thankfully, that’s doing extremely well and I do enjoy it mostly despite working too many hours. The problems are mainly internal. I honestly can’t deal with the physical pain and that’s amplifying everything to the extreme.

I'm off to my chronic pain clinic referral next week, after 5 years of tests, invasive physical procedures, specialists and fighting to be listened to. I know exactly how you feel, hang in there.

bilderberg

I wish we could get more info about that e3 2017 demo other than "it's mostly fake." Like how is it fake? Is their still a build of that demo somewhere at bioware that just crashes if the player wonders five feet outside the assigned path? Was their not actually an open world back then? Was Fort Tarsis just literally that alley corridor that if the player turns around would just be texturless empty space?

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
If EA was smart about it they should have put a Frostbite team into place who builds tools for Frostbite and troubleshoots issues with the various dev teams under the EA umbrella that are trying to use the engine to build a game. If they wanted to put out a company wide everyone use Frostbite policy they should at least have a support and dev team that only deals with Frostbite.
According to the article, the “Frostbite Team” was busy assisting with FIFA, which received much higher priority than Anthem.

iconmaster

Banned
According to the article, the “Frostbite Team” was busy assisting with FIFA, which received much higher priority than Anthem.

That was one of the most frustrating parts. FIFA makes more money, so they get competent help with Frostbite. BioWare is expected to figure it out.

joe_zazen

I hope you have irl supports, both professional and personal. If not, you must get them. Chronic pain X mental illness is not something to face alone.

That original incarnation of Anthem, exploring a hostile alien world littered with alien shipwrecks, sounds really interesting, wish that was the game we got.

Last edited:

Perhaps make a bigger Frostbite team or perhaps they divirted enough time and rescources into helping Bioware. I don't really know but I do appreciate you pointing that out in the article I will re-read it to make sure I did not miss anything else.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I skimmed it, as it's literally about 30-40 pages long.

But got to say this is a good read. This is what "video game journalism" should be. Not clickbait trash most web editors put up.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It is pretty spectacular how badly EA has fumbled AAA this gen.

Mass Effect - dead
Dragon Age - on ice
Battlefield - wounded
Dead Space - dead
Mirror's Edge - dead
Star Wars - generating like 1/4th of the profit that an IP like this should

Titanfall is seemingly the only healthy non-sports one, and that "only" took one of the most talented FPS dev teams and pivoting into the BR genre to pull off.

And at this point, its probably not even just EA's fault. This article illustrates how Bioware itself dropped the ball. When it rains it pours.
But if they can pull off that holy grail mission....... get every game dev to make games using Frostbite so they can collect license and royalty money, it's worth it.

Still hasn't happened yet EA. Probably because it seems FB is crap unless it's geared to Battlefield with a million people working on it and fixing bugs.

Last edited:

ancelotti

Honestly, it is a good article, although nothing particularly surprising other than how badly they misjudged the launch reception after the mock review. And it's a shame because they finally did arrive at a decent gameplay loop. Yes, they wasted several years, but at the end of the day if they gave a shit about quality and their reputation they had the resources to make good on their promises. It reminds of the Miyamoto adage, a delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad. It almost defies belief how many times EA has killed the goose that laid the golden eggs. I get that they want to monetize games as a service, but surely they must realize the most profitable way to get there is to launch something with a solid base. If your audience abandons you before you can sell them loot boxes then it's all for naught. It doesn't even sound like they learned the right lessons out of this. I'm assuming the leadership of Respawn is strong enough to not to fall for the Frostbite razor blade trap, although I'll be curious to see how some of the other pending EA projects shape up.

Last edited:

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not true at all dealing with chronic pain takes a huge toll on someone and people actually do care especially those of us also dealing with chronic pain.

I was in a terrible auto accident in Nov of 2000 and it cut short a very nice career I had made for myself.

My body was totally crushed because an 80 year old man blew a stop sign and T Boned our car.

It took 6 months before I could bathe myself.

It took 3 years before I could without the use of any walking aids.

It took about 7 years before I could walk through the store with my wife without needing to sit down for breaks.

I have been dealing with terrible chronic pain for over 19 years now, people do understand.
Damn man, that’s intense. :-( I feel like an ass for overreacting. I do appreciate the support, though.

Helios

I'm not sure if this was posted but BioWare responded to the article
http://blog.bioware.com/2019/04/02/anthem-game-development/
We’d like to take a moment to address an article published this morning about BioWare, and Anthem’s development. First and foremost, we wholeheartedly stand behind every current and former member of our team that worked on the game, including leadership. It takes a massive amount of effort, energy and dedication to make any game, and making Anthem would not have been possible without every single one of their efforts. We chose not to comment or participate in this story because we felt there was an unfair focus on specific team members and leaders, who did their absolute best to bring this totally new idea to fans. We didn’t want to be part of something that was attempting to bring them down as individuals. We respect them all, and we built this game as a team.

We put a great emphasis on our workplace culture in our studios. The health and well-being of our team members is something we take very seriously. We have built a new leadership team over the last couple of years, starting with Casey Hudson as our GM in 2017, which has helped us make big steps to improve studio culture and our creative focus. We hear the criticisms that were raised by the people in the piece today, and we’re looking at that alongside feedback that we receive in our internal team surveys. We put a lot of focus on better planning to avoid “crunch time,” and it was not a major topic of feedback in our internal postmortems. Making games, especially new IP, will always be one of the hardest entertainment challenges. We do everything we can to try and make it healthy and stress-free, but we also know there is always room to improve.

As a studio and a team, we accept all criticisms that will come our way for the games we make, especially from our players. The creative process is often difficult. The struggles and challenges of making video games are very real. But the reward of putting something we created into the hands of our players is amazing. People in this industry put so much passion and energy into making something fun. We don’t see the value in tearing down one another, or one another’s work. We don’t believe articles that do that are making our industry and craft better.

Our full focus is on our players and continuing to make Anthem everything it can be for our community. Thank you to our fans for your support – we do what we do for you.

And Schreier's follow-up

Last edited:
What I don't understand is why after what almost 10 years of Bioware working with the DICE engine they are still straggling? They have already released 2 full games using it yet every time it's used as an excuse.

Jason Schreier, the investigative journalist who only publishes inside sources that pushes the narrative he wants to push. Objectivity be damned. I can't believe every single BioWare employee feels the same.

D dark10x Sorry to hear about what you are going through. All I can say is stay close to your family and take one day at a time. You produce great work ;)

ruvikx

Banned
I've read the article. Some of it reads like a barely concealed agenda-driven attempt to deflect the blame away from the development team & literally onto the "stress" caused by the new bogeyman used by all developers when they produce a turd: crunch hours.

Many at the company now grumble that the success of 2014’s Dragon Age: Inquisition was one of the worst things that could have happened to them. The third Dragon Age, which won Game of the Year at the 2014 Game Awards, was the result of a brutal production process plagued by indecision and technical challenges. It was mostly built over the course of its final year, which led to lengthy crunch hours and lots of exhaustion. “Some of the people in Edmonton were so burnt out,” said one former BioWare developer. “They were like, ‘We needed [Dragon Age: Inquisition] to fail in order for people to realize that this isn’t the right way to make games.’”

Right, so Dragon Age Inquisition's success was "bad" because it took some hard work to achieve? They act like the entire team was in a slave labour camp. Back in the real world, maybe (just maybe) they did a bad job on Anthem & Andromeda, for xyz reasons. But it's easier to blame the publisher & work hours, right? Keep in mind many of these developers could be looking for a new employer in the near future, ergo via speaking "anonymously" to Kotaku & building a narrative in which they weren't responsible for Anthem's shitty condition they hope to salvage some goodwill.

KonradLaw

I've read the article. Some of it reads like a barely concealed agenda-driven attempt to deflect the blame away from the development team & literally onto the "stress" caused by the new bogeyman used by all developers when they produce a turd: crunch hours.

Right, so Dragon Age Inquisition's success was "bad" because it took some hard work to achieve? They act like the entire team was in a slave labour camp. Back in the real world, maybe (just maybe) they did a bad job on Anthem & Andromeda, for xyz reasons. But it's easier to blame the publisher & work hours, right? Keep in mind many of these developers could be looking for a new employer in the near future, ergo via speaking "anonymously" to Kotaku & building a narrative in which they weren't responsible for Anthem's shitty condition they hope to salvage some goodwill.
Umm..no. The success of DA3 was a bad thing, because it was happy result of terrible development cycle. It was unfocused mess for most of the time of it's production and only came together at the very end. So it gave the bosses false idea that it would always turn out this way. But Anthem was far more complex and needed focused development vision. In the article it clearly states that only when they finally got producer that could bark strict orders at dev team the project started to move on after years of messing around.

And it's a huge project. Regular developers aren't to blame. All the blame solely rests of leads and studio bosses, because they were the ones who messed around. Regular devs were just doing the work they were given. Reading this article Leidlaw still deserves credit for managing to turn that mess into anything coherent in such short time, but the group who was at the helm before him clearly isn't suited for leadership roles.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I actually rarely disagree with the site he is hosted at. He is the main problem(especially considering his position of seniority). Not discrediting his sources. He has done fine things as long as he does not insert his opinion... which he likes and often does. "Attack the message and not the messenger" is a pretty awful statement period. The message here is a good one(attempting to expose the suffering of the development that not only had to go through this but get fired recently) but the messenger is the problem. I might change my mind if the guy stops doing opinion pieces and sticks to being objective(not likely). I am willing the give the man a chance, after he has earned it(refer to previous sentence).

I'm in 2 minds about him. In one way he's a tabloid journalist looking for the latest 'scoop' and it comes off in his clickbait articles often.

On the other hand he's probably one of the only few I hear giving the term "journalist" a meaning in gaming journalism. You know actually trying to investigate whats happening and getting sources and info.

At the moment it seems you can't have it all. There is a gap in the market for an unbiased gaming media journalist though.

There's also the fact of cuorse that he comes off like a complete asshole on Resetera when he was there with his "If you like Octopath traveller you're wrong" kind of attitude.

20cent

Banned
Breaking news: bad games are the result of poor management and bad decisions leading to frustrated and angry employees, woah, I always thought it was done on purpose?

Dunki

This does happen when you go woke. Bioware always advocated their cultural diverse team sicne Andromeda and since Andromeda it really went to shit. It is time for this legacy to end.

Handy Fake

1/ A stressful working environment is a stressful working environment. Having to deal with that day in, day out or lose your job will get to anyone. Be it nurses or developers.
2/ Other more "stressful" jobs tend to have things in place to mitigate damage to their incumbents, be it Unions or mental health support.
3/ Posters should be ashamed of themselves for essentially telling those undergoing real mental health issues to "man up".
3/ People are shooting the messenger regarding the article, rather than being agog at the article itself. Angry Joe has a good video up about it.

Last edited:
What I don't understand is why after what almost 10 years of Bioware working with the DICE engine they are still straggling? They have already released 2 full games using it yet every time it's used as an excuse.

Jason Schreier, the investigative journalist who only publishes inside sources that pushes the narrative he wants to push. Objectivity be damned. I can't believe every single BioWare employee feels the same.

D dark10x Sorry to hear about what you are going through. All I can say is stay close to your family and take one day at a time. You produce great work ;)

I imagine the Dice Engine doesn't come with a whole lot of stuff that Anthem needed. So you their engine might be good, but if you need to build new rigs and rendering engines and these workflow tools from the ground up to suit the needs of your game, then suddenly everything gets a whole lot more complicated.

They are making a Triple AAA games so it has to have all the bells of whistles. Publishers demands it has everything, because if it ticks all the boxes, consumers are more likely to buy. "It has multiplayer and COOP! WOW!". Publishers are less concerned about quality, because obviously trying to do all these things water down your game and suddenly you are developing at a snails pace.
Look at DMC5. Game is verrryyy simple. But that game probably works because they stayed in their niche. They stayed at what they were good at. They didnt turn it into a GaaS Shooter subscription shooter with RTS elements and space battles. When you focus all your efforts on fewer things you tend to get higher quality.

Anthem bites off more than it can chew, and I imagine that the team structuring of a company like Bioware had reached a point where project planners are coming in, and a lot of the real development talent gets pushed out. Bioware grows and grows and grows. Budgets is bigger because scope is bigger. So you need more people on the team, and that means more beucracy and more non-gaming people who come in to help smooth out a much larger company. You need a lot more people for HR, Legal and all these other functions that are more about managing big teams than anything else. That changes company culture, and it wouldnt be surprising to me if this is how talented developers got pushed away.

You look at financial companies how people become managers- and you look at how many people don't know how to manage at all. It happens in almost every company. Company culture today assumes that if you are a good worker you will be promoted (eventually), but the problem is that many good workers wont make good managers or good leaders. When you have bad managers and leaders, everything turns to shit. Bioware can be masters of the dice engine, but a couple of teams mismanaged is enough to slow all other teams down. If the animation department is 3 weeks behind schedule it fucks up many other teams who need shit to be done. And if this company culture is compromised across the company, then its only taking off from there.

We don't know the inner details of why many Bioware employees have left, but before Andromeda was even announced we started seeing high profile talent leave. Sometimes people leave companies because of no work culture problems, but just because of life, moving or needing a career change. However there was something about Andromeda, and the people who left that raised eyebrows. One would have thought that EA would have done an investigation within their own company culture and start to examine what is it that they are doing that are destroying their owned studios to have commercial and critical failures? Bioware is only the latest example of this.

Of course it is not like things EA touch instantly become bad. Many great Bioware games were published by EA. But something has got to give...

ruvikx

Banned
Umm..no. The success of DA3 was a bad thing, because it was happy result of terrible development cycle. It was unfocused mess for most of the time of it's production and only came together at the very end. So it gave the bosses false idea that it would always turn out this way.

Says who? Kotaku? Its 'anonymous' sources? I'd need more evidence than that before making a judgement on this issue. Apparently during production of Mass Effect Andromeda, Bioware screwed-around with a "No Man's Sky" procedural universe idea for a couple of years (costing development time & money). It never made the final game. Was that EA's fault? In these cases it's really not unusual to see a blame-game whereby all parties involved in the disaster toss responsibility for the problems around like a hot potato.

1/ A stressful working environment is a stressful working environment. Having to deal with that day in, day out or lose your job will get to anyone. Be it nurses or developers.
2/ Other more "stressful" jobs tend to have things in place to mitigate damage to their incumbents, be it Unions or mental health support.
3/ Posters should be ashamed of themselves for essentially telling those undergoing real mental health issues to "man up".
3/ People are shooting the messenger regarding the article, rather than being agog at the article itself. Angy Joe has a good video up about it.

Again, I've yet to see actualy proof of serious mental breakdowns resulting in real medical care. The whole article reads like a schoolyard-esque whinge about their lot in life after sh*t hit the fan. I won't ever feel "ashamed" about anything I think just because Jason Schreier (of all people) painted a sob story picture in Kotaku about poor little Bioware.

An article in the gaming press isn't gospel. There's another side to this story (EA's, other devs) which we'll probably never hear.

Top Bottom