• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can sony set more realistic expectations before a state of play?

Umbasaborne

Banned
They are usually pretty good about specifying what will be there. I.e specifying wheather its reveals or updates about games we already know about. But maybe going forward they should specify the scope of reveals.

They can say something like “this state of play will focus on new game announcements from our independant partners and small to mid size publishers”.

Then comparitively for an sop that focuses on first party games or major releases, they could say “this state of play will focus on new game reveals and updates from our first party studios and large publishers” or something.

Look i know this sounds dumb. But if they did a better job of specifying the scope of games that will be present at these events, then people would be less dissapointed.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
tbh, i think Sony knows that state of play is underwhelming but they still do it anyway. I mean if its going to help to market some third party games on the platform they might as well do it.

I mean there is no loss to them, people still whine, playstation still sells, and nothing changes.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I wouldn't worry about whats happening inside the mind of adults without adult faculties OP. If you don't have good critical thinking skills and can't deal with disappointment then its hard to fix that at this late of a stage in life.

I'd prefer to keep it as is so I can be surprised, I don't want everthing to be laid out in a boring spreadsheet because morons exist.

Elios83

They already do.
Some people just can't cope with the fact that State of Plays are not digital conferences to make big announcements even when Sony clearly states what's going to be there most of the time (see the episode with Deathloop deepdive).
The format for big events is called "Playstation Showcase".
Just skip the event and watch the trailers later if you expect big announcements, State of Plays most of the times won't be the event for you.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Most have been good. I think the problem is 'third party' to most people means the likes of Capcom, SQEnix, Ubisoft etc.

The last one would have been at home if it was done in the same manner as the previous indie showcase: https://blog.playstation.com/2021/08/05/new-indie-reveals-and-updates-take-the-spotlight/

Trying to use technicalities after the event like indies are third parties miss the point. If you're going to do a mix (some big third party and some indie) then that will also be a SoP in my mind.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I don't think they can because people will tell themselves there is going to be some major announcements. And there are clicks on videos based upon pre-show hype. The only thing you can do is control your own emotions.

Doom85

Tell their fans to realize that expecting every State of Play to have games that cater to their individual specific tastes will inevitably result in some fans being disappointed because that’s just reality. Fans need to set expectations accordingly or better yet wait for the individual trailers to be put on the PlayStation YouTube channel, check message boards to see what was announced, etc. to save time.

Don’t be like Nintendo fans who I swear walk away from 90% of Directs disappointed because it wasn’t “the greatest Direct ever” in their subjective eyes.

Last edited:

skit_data

I think they’ve done a pretty good job so far.

I rated my hype level 2/10 before the last State of Play based on the description of the event. It ended up pretty much 2/10.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Fast And Furious GIF by The Fast Saga

Umbasaborne

Banned
They could say "expect absolutely nothing" and there would be people hyping it as them secretly announcing something. It's a battle that has been lost before it was even fought.
It does seem as if they have moved away from big press conference “year of dreams” type of events. But you have to wonder if their history of mega tons and three press conferences a year, failed to prepare us for the paired back, more conservative playstation we know today.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Why bother? Forum neckbeards will always work themselves up into a frenzy about how this next SoP/Direct/whatever is going to be the one where they reveal that person's absolutely pipedream of a game.

The blog for the last SoP advertised 20 minutes of third party games - I don't know how you could set the bar any lower - and people were still let down.

yurinka

I think they should announce the State of Play a few hours before publishing it, not days before.

And/or when announcing it, it would also help to mention the name of the games and/or development studios that are going to be there. Games that appear in Sony's events shouldn't have appeared in more than 2 previous streamed events hosted by Sony or someone else. Games featured in these events should be planned to be released maximum in a year and a half.

I also think they should be more clear and strict with the format, separate them better by topic and even to rename them to:
-State of Play: PlayStation Studios showcase (zero 3rd party and indie games here, only 1st and 2nd party games here)
-State of Play: Third Party games showcase (only big publishers, zero indies and zero Sony stuff here)
-State of Play: PlayStation Indies showcase (zero big publishers, zero Sony content here)
-State of Play: Game Showcases (for the ones specific for a single game with a dev commenting gameplay and explaining the game)
-PlayStation Showcase (hardware, services and game announcements or first gameplay reveals only. 1st/2nd party, top AAA 3rd publishers and top indie teams only)

They would be organized in this way:
-There would be two PlayStation Showcases every year: summer (June, around E3) and winter (December, PlayStation Experience).
-The other ten months of the year would get State of Plays.
-Two PS Studios showcases (Spring and Autunm)
-Two 3rd party games showcase (Spring and Autunm)
-Three PS Indies showcases
-Three Game Showcases (the 2 top Sony games for that year, the top 3rd party exclusive for that year)

In June or December they should have PlayStation Experience, a two or three days long event with a PlayStation Showcase, a few State of Play: Game showcase, and a few panels with interviews or round tables with devs. Demos/betas would be released for these PlayStation Experiences, and also some discounts and nice games included to PS Plus and/or PS Now ideally the day after the PlayStation Showcase started the PlayStation Experience.

State of Plays should be under 1 hour long and PlayStation Showcases should be over 1 or 2 hours long.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Why bother? Forum neckbeards will always work themselves up into a frenzy about how this next SoP/Direct/whatever is going to be the one where they reveal that person's absolutely pipedream of a game.

The blog for the last SoP advertised 20 minutes of third party games - I don't know how you could set the bar any lower - and people were still let down.
I think when people hear third party, they assume square enix, capcom, ea, ubisoft, activision.

i think they should say independent developers when most of the games shown are indies

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I think when people hear third party, they assume square enix, capcom, ea, ubisoft, activision.

i think they should say independent developers when most of the games shown are indies

Aside from the fact that we actually DID get the announcement of a new Square Enix game, it's a 20 minute presentation. Anyone who expected a string of meaty reveals from huge publishers in a 20 minute presentation only has themselves to blame, frankly. And it happens every single time.

SoP? We're getting Silent Hills and it's made by Kojima. Nintendo Direct? BotW2 gameplay and it's out tomorrow. It's hilarious.

Not really sure they need to change anything, they've always said when something big is going to appear. The last one was third party games and the game they drew attention before the show was Little Devil Inside, with that being their prominent title for the show it dives a pretty good induction of what people should be expecting.
That's not to dismiss Little Devil Inside in any way because it looks fantastic but it's a little different to when they said that God of War Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West were the feature games it does set very different expectations.

The moment you announce an “event”, which is attached to a big brand, one week in advance, you’re creating expectations. Problem is with Sony and not the fans. If they want to insist on promoting indies with “live” broadcast or events, maybe they could rename it to State of Play Indie Showcase.

BTW, the quality of the indies also matters (just like black trans lives).

Astral Dog

They could say "expect absolutely nothing" and there would be people hyping it as them secretly announcing something. It's a battle that has been lost before it was even fought.
example-Capcom E3 event fans want to be angry sometimes, nothing to do but move on

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member

They specifically said what would be at the last one. It’s fans who need to do a better job of setting realistic expectations for themselves.
Yup, the moment things are announced people expect bombs and surprises.

Fans gotta temper their expectations and relax a bit. It's a delicate balance between the presenter and the audience.

Only make State of Plays for major reveals. Otherwise simply upload stuff to youtube from time to time without announcements. Hardcore fans will find it immediately and spread it around the forums. Casuals don't give a shit about Stat of Plays anyways.

I think they are all successful.

What they need is more. One on the first day of the month. Whatever needs to be announced for the month, gets announced.

I think they should announce the State of Play a few hours before publishing it, not days before.

And/or when announcing it, it would also help to mention the name of the games and/or development studios that are going to be there. Games that appear in Sony's events shouldn't have appeared in more than 2 previous streamed events hosted by Sony or someone else. Games featured in these events should be planned to be released maximum in a year and a half.

I also think they should be more clear and strict with the format, separate them better by topic and even to rename them to:
-State of Play: PlayStation Studios showcase (zero 3rd party and indie games here, only 1st and 2nd party games here)
-State of Play: Third Party games showcase (only big publishers, zero indies and zero Sony stuff here)
-State of Play: PlayStation Indies showcase (zero big publishers, zero Sony content here)
-State of Play: Game Showcases (for the ones specific for a single game with a dev commenting gameplay and explaining the game)
-PlayStation Showcase (hardware, services and game announcements or first gameplay reveals only. 1st/2nd party, top AAA 3rd publishers and top indie teams only)

They would be organized in this way:
-There would be two PlayStation Showcases every year: summer (June, around E3) and winter (December, PlayStation Experience).
-The other ten months of the year would get State of Plays.
-Two PS Studios showcases (Spring and Autunm)
-Two 3rd party games showcase (Spring and Autunm)
-Three PS Indies showcases
-Three Game Showcases (the 2 top Sony games for that year, the top 3rd party exclusive for that year)

In June or December they should have PlayStation Experience, a two or three days long event with a PlayStation Showcase, a few State of Play: Game showcase, and a few panels with interviews or round tables with devs. Demos/betas would be released for these PlayStation Experiences, and also some discounts and nice games included to PS Plus and/or PS Now ideally the day after the PlayStation Showcase started the PlayStation Experience.

State of Plays should be under 1 hour long and PlayStation Showcases should be over 1 or 2 hours long.
Imo they should make state of play "indies edition"

Easy enough to understand what it is
They sayd thirdparty developers and indiegames, and thats what they showed. Like others sayd, people wanted games they want to see, look at the forums before every SoP. Sony is clear with theyr info, but its the fault of people who expecting to much, thats the problem.

FranXico

They do set expectations appropriately.

Anybody who paid attention for the last few years knew that this state of play would be about indie games (they even explicitly mentioned Little Devil Inside beforehand).
Not on Sony if people fool themselves without a reason.

Flutta

Banned
Some peeps will find a way to hype it up either way.

Imo i think Sony should just scrap SOP all together and only focus on quality shows. But i get that they need to promote smaller games etc. But somehow i feel like the quality and excitment takes nose dive for every bad SOP we get.

Quality > Quantity.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Comes down to expectations of these shows. Some people want them to be closer to mini-E3s. Some people dont care whats in them.

When Keithley's awards show happens and he shows some new games witha big world premiere of exclusive tag, it's not going to be Untitled Goose Game even though technically it can be because he never said the video game show or world premieres have to be all big budget games.

But there's an expectation that he doesnt waste people's time with too much indie shit in a 90 minute show.

As for quarterly Xbox, PS and Nintendo shows that are less than 1 hour each (not E3 streams or stage shows), it comes down to what you expect from them.

I don't understand why it's presented as an 'event'. It's just a selection of upcoming stuff. Dropping a game trailer on youtube and making an announcement of 'hey check out this new thing' in HD youtube would be better than a live, I'm at the office distracted by phonecalls watching on a blurry small phone screen.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Other than saying it will be out on X day, at X time, which they already do....i don't think they need to say anything else really.

lol we do the unrealistic expectations ourselves and then get po'd when nothing comes close.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think they usually do tell us pretty much exactly what to expect. But people will still expect more and be disappointed. I think the only way they could avoid that is to simply not have SoPs for random 3rd party and indie stuff.

Kokoloko85

Yeah Ive learnt my lesson from the last year of awful shows. I didnt even bother watching the last one.
Since the annoucement show of PS5 the shows have been terrible. They have changed from being king of E3 to utter crap. And I dont expect anything from there shows anymore. Especially a 3rd party show lol.

Yeah the last big show was decent with Star Wars KOTOR, Wolverine and Spiderman 2 but after a year of no new announcements it was still not enough. Basically only 2 new exclusive announcements.

Bring back E3 & Tokyo games show only events. Fuck these stupid little shows and scattering game news all year

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just list the games they they intend to show. If there are unannounced games then just say there will be some unannounced third party games. To be honest though people should never expect too much anyway, I don't understand why people thought the last one would be anything other than what it was.

MastaKiiLA

Pretty sure they don't set high expectations for SoPs. Any wild expectations are usually set by the gamers, who often don't understand what an SoP is supposed to be.

mortal

Gold Member
Honestly, some people really need to start taking more responsibility for their own disappointment in these things.
Sony typically sets disclaimers for pretty much all of them about what and what not to expect.

Take that into consideration along with the length of the showcase, or any corroborated rumors/leaks atm.
Reasonably set your expectations.

Last edited:

yurinka

They sayd thirdparty developers and indiegames, and thats what they showed. Like others sayd, people wanted games they want to see, look at the forums before every SoP. Sony is clear with theyr info, but its the fault of people who expecting to much, thats the problem.
Yes, I think maybe they only can address it by listing all the games and publishers/developers to be featured when they announce the event. And /or to don't announce it beforehand and directly put everything in the PS Blog and Youtube channel.

And well, if they consider they don't have enough content to make a great State of Play they could avoid making it and to wait until they have enough great stuff. We're in an intergenerational period were there aren't a ton of great games, and on top of that many of the ones originally planned for 2021 and 2022 have been delayed due to covid.

But yes, it's impossible to make everyone happy, each person has different tastes and opinions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom