• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can you enjoy 120FPS without buying a new television?

FMX

I am currently rocking this

Sony - 55 X900F Series -4K Ultra HD TV with HDR

• Display TypeLED
  • ResolutionInfo4K (2160p)
  • Screen SizeInfo54.6 inches
  • High Dynamic Range (HDR)InfoYes
  • **High Dynamic Range FormatInfo----**Dolby Vision, HDR 10, Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG)
  • **Backlight TypeInfo---**Direct, Full array
  • **Refresh RateInfo--**120Hz
  • Specific Manufacturer TechnologiesInfoXDR PRO Contrast 6X, Full-array Local Dimming, 4K HDR X1 Extreme, TRILUMINOS Display, X-Motion Clarity, 4K X-Reality Pro
  • Smart PlatformInfoAndroid TV
  • Number of HDMI Inputs4
  • Works WithInfoAmazon Alexa, Google Assistant
  • Voice Assistant Built-inInfoGoogle Assistant

SO there is no way I will be able to get 120FPS without buying a new television?

xion4360

wait...your tv isnt 120hz? im confused

according to rtings your tv supports 120hz at 1080p and 1440p...you just got to hope sony will support 1440p at least like MS does.

*edit* oh I get it...apparently it doesnt work with an auto-detect, only if you force it which doesnt really work on consoles....still maybe it will detect it? you can hope at least.

Last edited:

Compsiox

Banned
120hz is what you need to take advantage of 120fps. In your tv info you posted it says 120hz (refresh rate). That's the speed at which the pixels refresh which would match what you'd want for 120fps.

Edit: I guess there might be more to this situation than I realized. TVs are poo poo.

Last edited:
Most TVs do support 120fps already, but only at max 1080p.
It’s just 4K@120fps what most TVs can’t do. But what games will be 4K@120fps? I think we will only get 1080p@120fps, so most TVs will be fine anyway!

Most TVs definitely DO NOT support 120fps. Some higher end models do. I had a 2015 Sony that did support it, but like someone here said, it might have only worked with a PC. I dunno. I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
Not possible. People here are saying not everyone's a 4k TV? Well there are less people owning a TV that supports 120fps.
Its just something for those who game on monitors and only PC gamers do that.

cormack12

Gold Member
120fps is going to be a really rare exception once we drop cross gen games (except maybe indies), I wouldn't worry about it.

We spoke with Christopher Mullins, Sony’s Digital & Home Cinema product manager, ahead of the announcement of Sony’s new high-end projector range, which includes a 10,000 lumens beamer called the VPL-GZ380.

And when it came to discussion of the PS5, Mullins was adamant that a projector didn’t need HDMI 2.1 to be a good choice for gaming.

“The next-gen consoles are incredibly exciting,” Mullins says, “and are all about offering that best-in-class 4K performance.

“4K at 120Hz is… interesting, but actually with the next-gen consoles the baseline performance is to hit a really good native 4K/60Hz performance, and have that performance across many games.”

vkbest

You can't, but that doesn't mean you won't benefit. Running the framerate beyond the refresh rate will still improve your input responsiveness.

No way, developers will unlock framerate when the TV is locked to 60hz. Also could bring frame pacing problems.

Last edited:

Amaranty

You should be able to get 1080p/120Hz or 1440p/120Hz if your system allows it - either PC or Xbox One X. Probably next gen Xbox will be able to do it also.

4K/120Hz is not possible since you need HDMI 2.1 on the TV.

EDIT: Just read Rtings.com review and it seems that 120Hz is also not possible on Xbox One X, so PC is the only option.

Last edited:

Jokerevo

Banned
I think we'll see 120fps options for performance modes at 1080p and 4k for indie games that have "light" art styles.

Skifi28

I don't think there's much point for the 5-10 games that will support it. We'll be lucky if most games have a 60fps option. I wouldn't spend money on a new TV just for that.

DinoD

• Display TypeLED
  • **High Dynamic Range FormatInfo----**Dolby Vision, HDR 10, Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG)
  • Specific Manufacturer TechnologiesInfoXDR PRO Contrast 6X, Full-array Local Dimming, 4K HDR X1 Extreme, TRILUMINOS Display, X-Motion Clarity, 4K X-Reality Pro
  • Number of HDMI Inputs4

SO there is no way I will be able to get 120FPS without buying a new television?

Yeah, I have the same model. As few fellow posters said. Probably not worth getting new TV , if you only want to game on next gen consoles. Only few cross-gen games will support this and then I predict will be dropped to increase the visual luster of true next gen games.

Regards

Calverz

• Display TypeLED
  • Number of HDMI Inputs4

You may feel the difference but wont see it.

Most TVs do support 120fps already, but only at max 1080p.
It’s just 4K@120fps what most TVs can’t do. But what games will be 4K@120fps? I think we will only get 1080p@120fps, so most TVs will be fine anyway!

COD CW will run at 4K@120fps on next gen.

TLZ

Banned
Man you guys talking about 120fps like it's going to be the norm. Let's have 60fps be the norm first then we talk.

INC

Gold Member
didn't one of the newer cods cause issues because it was outputting a high frame rate, making it stutter on 60hz tv, swear I remember reading that....

Rikkori

I'm not sure how it works with consoles, only had PS4 Pro which doesn't support 120hz, but on PC your TV will work with 120 fps just fine (1080p & 1440p). Only thing is that you need to enable HDR at 120 hz only in-game and NOT mess with any settings, or the TV goes into a bootloop. Presumably you can do more fine-grained resolution/refresh rate combos with CRU but I just use AMD's built-in solution.
Though, to be honest, it's hard to say you're missing much - depends on the games you play. I only really use 120hz for Hades & The Division 2.

Source: me, I have an XF90

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
You're kidding me. I have the same model and was pumped to play DMC at 120fps, because of the 120hz thing. So we are sure this means we won't be able to see 120 fps? Anyone care to explain why it only applies to PC for this tv?

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Thread title seems to imply the answer.

If you're running a 60Hz refresh, and go into 120fps mode, are you opening yourself up to screen tearing?

drotahorror

The monitor and display refresh rate is less important than the ingame refresh rate.

Maybe something is lost in translation.

Monitor refresh rate and game FPS should be the same unless you want tearing or uneven framepacing.

Running 200fps on a 60hz monitor is basically pointless and doesn't offer many benefits if any at all.

Very few games will run at 120 fps and no game will ever require an 120hz TV. Most if not all singleplayer games on PS5 will be filled with ray tracing and whatnot and they'll push graphics to the max up til 60fps.. U will be fine for many many years. COD will surely have a cinematic mode with 60 fps and performance mode will be 120.

Last edited:

RookX22

The question is if the game will let you choose a 120 fps mode on a 60 hz TV if so you will benefit from it with lower input time and it will look smoother also. I game past my monitors 144hz all the time and did on my 60hz monitor before that.

Last edited:

RookX22

Monitor refresh rate and game FPS should be the same unless you want tearing or uneven framepacing.

Running 200fps on a 60hz monitor is basically pointless and doesn't offer many benefits if any at all.
I beg to differ on this. Here is a video were they show higher fps on a 60hz screen still has benefit.

duyxbox

Neo Member
Crash it, fake it like an accident. Ask your sponsor (wife/ husband/ parents ) to get you a new one with right timing (your birthday for example)
Technical speaking, you will get a new tv without buying, because someone gift it to you.
Did it work? Yes, on me, last year, i had lenovo x1 extreme , wanna go back to Mac world but not much money by that time, so i planned to sell it but told my wife i got it stolen, ask her to lend me few bucks to buy 16’ maxbook, payback in 2 months. It was 1 week before my birthday, and guess what, she gave me money to buy a new one on next day as birthday gift because i gift her an iPhone on her birthday.
now i want ps5, but my ps4 cant get stolen because it was at my home, in a security apartment, and she told me that over her dead body if i want a ps5 T_T

drotahorror

I beg to differ on this. Here is a video were they show higher fps on a 60hz screen still has benefit.

Don't really have the time to watch a 35min video.

I believe it may offer a benefit or two, like lower input latency (usually if you're locked to 60fps, they may also be using vsync, which can cause input delay). Frametimes can benefit as well.

From a visual point, 500fps won't look smoother than 60fps when your monitor's refresh rate is 60hz. You are limited to as high as a refresh rate as your display can provide.

For most people that play games (99%, give or take), rendering a frame 8ms faster than you would at 60fps is not going to matter at all.

Last edited:

No it does
Play fast pace Fps (CS, Overwatch or Quake) at 60 fps on a 60hz monitor. That is unplayable.

Play them at 200fps on a 60hz monitor and you can still hit someone else

Top Bottom