• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Character Progression Works In Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Helios

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/01/08/how-character-progression-works-in-sekiro-shadows-die-twice
A major departure hardcore From fans may scoff at is the lack of corpse runs. Though you gain experience from defeating foes in Shadows Die Twice, that experience is now divorced from currency; gold now drops from enemies as well, and you won’t lose either when you die. If you’re afraid that change might upset the balance of tension and accomplishment that have come define From games, there’s hope: Director Hidetaka Miyazaki says death will have a detrimental effect, but wasn’t willing to tell us what that might be.
Once you’ve unlocked a skill tree, you can invest skill points at Sculptor’s Idols (Shadows Die Twice’s take on bonfires). From showed us a few skill trees for The Wolf; one based on shinobi arts, one around samurai arts, and another based on building up the prosthetic arm. Along with passive buffs and improvements to your basic moveset, you can also unlock special moves called combat arts, activated by pressing both front shoulder buttons and which must be equipped separately. These moves are meant to be periodic rewards that let you invest in a particular playstyle “just to give you something to make you feel like you’re roleplaying in a certain way,” says Yasuhiro Kitao, manager of marketing and communications at From Software.
Each of these trees is catered to a different playstyle. The samurai skill tree, for example, resembles the common warrior archetype, which relies on overt, grounded aggression. The shinobi tree is more evasive and lets you control crowds, with skills like a spinning slice attack that deals damage in an area and the ability to step over enemy spears. Finally, the prosthetic tree offers multiple more ways to approach different encounters, with the option to upgrade your shuriken throw with a follow-up attack that closes the distance between you and your opponent, or to let you throw multiple shuriken.
While the skill tree lets you build out The Wolf in various ways, upgrading his other stats will require more attentive eyes. As you venture through Shadows Die Twice, slay enemies and bosses, and find hidden rooms, be on the lookout for prayer beads, four of which will increase your overall health and posture (The Legend of Zelda’s heart pieces come to mind). You might also find tools to upgrade your prosthetic arm with new abilities, such as a shuriken launcher, an axe, or a flame vent, granting you access to new abilities to take with you on the battlefield. There might even be ways to build on the resurrection mechanic, From tells us.
“This is actually using Miyazaki-san’s own words – You could think of the previous Souls games as more expanding laterally, and adding breadth to these various options and builds,” Kitao says. “While you are a fixed shinobi protagonist, you do feel like there’s a sense of progression, there’s a sense of building your own character and finding your own playstyle, and experimenting with this throughout the game.”

Last edited:
The lack of corpse runs doesn't mean much. Good players can still pro it out. Scrub players won't be prevented from reaching later areas of the game, that's all.

The skill tree sounds like a good innovation for the series. Takes the burden off the specific weapons found at specific locations, which were necessary for certain builds in the older games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think lot of people will be disappointed if they expecting another Soul game. That honestly what excites me about this game and the fact there is no online feature.

roflcaust

Neo Member
I think lot of people will be disappointed if they expecting another Soul game. That honestly what excites me about this game and the fact there is no online feature.

Here's what I'm scared of: from all the videos we're seeing, presentation-wise, everything indicates that it's a Soulsgames but with a medieval Japanese overlay. But mechanics-wise, seems to be a weird BB/ other ARPG hybrid. That is a bit frustrating.

I'm sure I'll still like the game but it looks like it's going into more of a traditional RPG that seems way more forgiveable when it comes to dodging/ TTK (like Bloodborne) instead of a more traditional Souls 1-3 formula.

Last edited:
I wonder if there's a fear on From Software's part that consumers aren't buying what they're selling? Since the game's reveal, the developer has stressed how Sekiro is more of an action title; yet besides the added verticality in movement, I'm not seeing the expected combat speed and variety of attack, with the game coming across more like a pared-down Bloodborne. Sekiro's visuals continue to be its biggest appeal, while (as much as I did enjoy Bloodborne) I remain unconvinced on the overall concept. Assuming the game is a more linear experience, and considering the fast approaching release date, I don't think it's helped so far that we keep mostly being shown the same encounters and snippets of the world.

Last edited:

guggnichso

Banned
I am really really excited for this. Just hoping they don’t fuck it up and it will be as great as the Soulsborne games.

Raven117

Im ready for From's new take. We are constantly asking for different takes on things. From has given us Souls, the different Bloodborne, now a Different game with Shadows.

I honestly think From is at its best when it is just making a new IP (inspired, but not constricted) by its previous games.

Day fucking 1. This looks phenomenal.

Hell yeah

giphy.gif

Top Bottom