• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Dead Space taps into PS5 haptics and adaptive triggers for immersive horror

Facism

They can balance the weapon by limit the ammo pickups, so unless you're getting perfect shots, eventually you'll run out. They can also reduce the damage done to bigger enemies/creatures and require you to use something like the line gun or ripper blades.
Afaik in the original, ammo drops were determined by what weapons you had equipped. If you never bought anything any only used the plasma cutter, majority of the drops would be for it. I think there was even an achievement for only using the plasma cutter

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Is this glorified force feedback or something genuinely awesome?

I’d like to know the real scoop on DualSense. Maybe I’ll pick one up.

Topher

Gold Member

You know haptic feedback on your phone? Imagine that in a controller. It is pretty awesome to me. Not sure how it is on anything besides PS5 though.

Gamerguy84

The triggers have caught me off guard before. Those things are stiff at full lock. Great for gas, brake, pulling a bow string, etc.

Awesome tech inside the DS.

Last edited:

Crayon

The triggers are true force feedback. They are surprisingly strong. I turn the strength down in the system settings. The haptics are like the ones in a joycon or steam controller, but they feel way bigger and are damped nicely. When the speaker is used as well, it's really great. Astrobot is considered the real demo but that game is going to lengths to show it off. A practical example is WRC where they use it all but in a straight forward way and it's amazing. Then you have games like demons souls where they are not doing much with the triggers and speaker but still use the haptics very well and the controller still stands out.

You know haptic feedback on your phone? Imagine that in a controller. It is pretty awesome to me. Not sure how it is on anything besides PS5 though.

The Switch controller uses them.

icecubes.gif

They call it HD Rumble though.

switchhaptics.jpg

Although the Dualseses Haptic Motors are huge compared to the Switchs.

haptic-combo-two.jpg

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Ghost of Tsushima has an impressive implementation, especially when you ride the horse over the bridges. So does Witcher 3.
Witcher 3 haptics really were a total game changer for me. Made looting feel x1000 more addicting, and it was already addicting in the first place.
This along with Performance Mode looking incredible with zero LOD pop-in, and game still being as astonishingly well written and unparalleled in scope and ambition (and honest and "normal" in its themes) made for an absolutely glorious and magical experience.

I truly hate adaptive triggers. I test it in all games and I always end disabling them. It makes any interaction worse than with traditional triggers.

Haptic vibration, on the other hand, is very nice. Traditional vibration, like the one from the Xbox controller (controller I love BTW) feels dated and even annoying.
I have turned Adaptive Triggers off more than once in TPS (Forbidden West was unplayable at Ultra Hard + no reticle with them on, and suddenly sublime after turning them off), however for some games like racers they really add an awful lot.

Last edited:

Aenima

The Switch controller uses them.

icecubes.gif

They call it HD Rumble though.

switchhaptics.jpg

Although the Dualseses Haptic Motors are huge compared to the Switchs.

haptic-combo-two.jpg
The tech is identical, but not the same. Dualsense use voice coils, and the reason we see alot of games using haptics on PS5 is because the sound team can just set up the controller to vibrate by the sound frequency of something in the game, being a gun shot, a footstep, etc. For example in GTA Online, inside a nightclub the haptics vibrate perfectly at the sound of the music playing, but if you place the controller against your ear, you can actually hear the music playing inside the controller.

Mephisto40

The tech is identical, but not the same. Dualsense use voice coils, and the reason we see alot of games using haptics on PS5 is because the sound team can just set up the controller to vibrate by the sound frequency of something in the game, being a gun shot, a footstep, etc. For example in GTA Online, inside a nightclub the haptics vibrate perfectly at the sound of the music playing, but if you place the controller against your ear, you can actually hear the music playing inside the controller.
You can actually test this by plugging a dualsense into your pc and setting it as the audio output device, you can hear the haptics moving to music when you play it

Knightime_X

I like the idea of gamers having options so its excellent to see the Dual Sense get support like this, but does anyone else turn off rumble and haptics for all their controllers as well?
I turn off haptics immediately.
I feel like I'm going to break the triggers.
It's the physical annoyance on par with chromatic aberration for me.

Last edited:

Rob_27

Wtf I have to wait another 5 odd hours to play this digitally on ps5. (UK) didn't sony used to be a 12am unlock?

Lunarorbit

Haven't played calisto, but is dead space about to bukake all over it? Seems like it's got positive buzz on the interweb

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Only gaf can glorify and hyperbole the shit out of a feature. I have it disabled. Useless feature that distracts me more than anything. If I want to get aroused I'll just put the controller in my ass, I dont need to get annoyed by vibrations in my hand while Im immersed/chilling with a game.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Lol that’s quite the dramatic title. lol

I love the pressure triggers. GT7 is my favorite use so far. I’ve played the hell out of that game and they still hold up. 👍

TrebleShot

Only gaf can glorify and hyperbole the shit out of a feature. I have it disabled. Useless feature that distracts me more than anything. If I want to get aroused I'll just put the controller in my ass, I dont need to get annoyed by vibrations in my hand while Im immersed/chilling with a game.
Only GAF? lol
Quite a highly regarded feature universally acclaimed by most users.

Carry on lad.

Markio128

I flippin’ love the dualsense features, so I’m really happy to see the same features apply to PSVR 2.

This game sounds great, but it’ll be one to get later on down the line for me. I’m struggling to get hyped for anything that isn’t PSVR 2 related atm.

Top Bottom