• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did you find your purpose in life?

Artoris

Gold Member

How did you find your purpose in life?​

By understanding its meaning, life exists to increase entropy in the universe, so you exist to increase the entropy in the universe

when you produce offspring, you increase entropy in the universe even more

so practically we exist to increase the amount of chaos in the universe

Cattlyst

Probably just repeating what a lot of people have already said here, but there is no real answer. It’s down to the individual and your own idea of what happiness and contentment is. For me, it has taken 42 years to realise the only person I’m in competition with is myself and other people’s opinions on my job, wealth and possessions don’t matter. Find things that make you happy, disregard everyone else’s opinions and stay off social media. That shit is crabs in a bucket.

Jrecard

I'm kind of cool with not really having one. I exist by pure chance and am just trying to enjoy this little spec of time I get before i go back to being nothing. Any purpose I can find personally doesn't actually matter, I'll be gone in the blink of an eye and the universe will not even notice.

I am still driven to self improvement though, it keeps me going.

Mr Hyde

I find solace and purpose in my writing. Released my first novel about a year ago and working on my second. I've always dreamed of being an author so that's what I'm pursuing. It's time consuming and very difficult, not to mention uncertainty whether you will be published or even make money on it, but it is my passion and the reason why I was put here in this world. If I don't write, I have no reason to live.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
There is no purpose in life except for that which many people feel the need to construct. I'm perfectly fine with no purpose in life that's not say I don't have problems but they have nothing to do with my lack of "purpose in life"

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Maybe you don't? A lot of people are just trying to survive. Maybe that's a purpose.

You do not find purpose in this life; you create it. That is why you are alive, and that is why you have free will. Those of us lucky/fortunate enough will find or be found by something that gives us drive or fills our heart with purpose/longing, but this isn't the case for everyone.

Life is a series of events, at any given time. There are no hard set rules. What has worked for some people will only work for them. There are averages, and then there are outliers/exceptions.

The fact that you do not have hobbies only means you haven't found something you properly enjoy, yet. It didn't mean there's nothing out there for you. Having opportunity helps though. Some people will never get certain opportunities, to even discover themselves. Many die without doing so, from abject poverty or immense mental/physical abuse. Be thankful you're not in one of those situations, that you might find something in this life that propels your desire to achieve more, or become better at doing (whatever it may be).

Make no mistake; this life is about choices. Those fortunate enough are able to choose from many options, without being constricted by the will of others. Those unfortunate enough have lesser choices due to having lesser options or are constricted by the impositions of another's wills.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Maybe I'm weird but I don't need a purpose in life and I also don't seek the meaning of life, in fact I don't even put out that question or thoughts and furthermore I find it kinda cringey and infantil if an adult is searching for those things.
Not a fan of science then I take it?

I have no idea what my purpose is exactly. All I do is get drunk and waste everything.

I am trying to do more travelling right now. I love it but I'm too scared to do it on my own. I've been outside the country before and explored my own country (alone) but I want to go other places. For years all I've wanted to do is travel and I have to some extent. I've never known what I wanted to be when I got older and I've never known what the fuck to do with myself but there's always been that desire to travel but I am full of too much anxiety and fear. So that's what I'm trying to do....get over it and maybe I'll get bored of it but something is telling me I need to go travel and who knows I might fight a reason for living. Most people I know have kids, are married, and have a solid career now but that's never been something I'm interested in and while I do have a good job it's not something you can really make a career out of. Definitely do not want kids but I think i'd be willing to find someone to settle down with. For years I swore I wanted to be alone but the last few years I start to feel like I miss having someone to be with.

I'm getting older and I'm fucking pissed at myself for not trying this hard sooner. The last year or so my mindset has changed a lot for some reason and I think after all this time of being scared to do something I'm starting to feel scared about NOT doing something lol. I feel embarrassed and pathetic because I know a lot of people have travelled during their 20's and done this and that.....and I haven't. The last decade or so all I've done really is work and get drunk which is fucking sad. I guess I gotta just go for it and try make up for the fucking time I wasted.

so yeah tl;dr i'm still trying to find my purpose or reason for living.

Last edited:

Artoris

Gold Member
I have no idea what my purpose is exactly. All I do is get drunk and waste everything.

I am trying to do more travelling right now. I love it but I'm too scared to do it on my own. I've been outside the country before and explored my own country (alone) but I want to go other places. For years all I've wanted to do is travel and I have to some extent. I've never known what I wanted to be when I got older and I've never known what the fuck to do with myself but there's always been that desire to travel but I am full of too much anxiety and fear. So that's what I'm trying to do....get over it and maybe I'll get bored of it but something is telling me I need to go travel and who knows I might fight a reason for living. Most people I know have kids, are married, and have a solid career now but that's never been something I'm interested in and while I do have a good job it's not something you can really make a career out of. Definitely do not want kids but I think i'd be willing to find someone to settle down with. For years I swore I wanted to be alone but the last few years I start to feel like I miss having someone to be with.

I'm getting older and I'm fucking pissed at myself for not trying this hard sooner. The last year or so my mindset has changed a lot for some reason and I think after all this time of being scared to do something I'm starting to feel scared about NOT doing something lol. I feel embarrassed and pathetic because I know a lot of people have travelled during their 20's and done this and that.....and I haven't. The last decade or so all I've done really is work and get drunk which is fucking sad. I guess I gotta just go for it and try make up for the fucking time I wasted.

so yeah tl;dr i'm still trying to find my purpose or reason for living.
It is very hard to do anything when you drink too much

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Maybe I'm weird but I don't need a purpose in life and I also don't seek the meaning of life, in fact I don't even put out that question or thoughts and furthermore I find it kinda cringey and infantil if an adult is searching for those things.
Agreed the purpose of life is simply to be.

John Bilbo

I don't subscribe to the idea that there is no purpose. I believe that there is nothing but purpose. We make choices that determine what we see as fun and turn hobbies into what we'd like to do in life. It comes from within.
This is the other side of the no purpose coin.

I think the idea is more like how much responsibility are you willing or capable of taking for your actions in life. No purpose no responsibility. All purpose all responsibility.

Nico_D

I'm 47 and the trick for me was to stop wanting. Especially wanting things which depend on luck or circumstance like in art world is the case.

Instead I do what I get to do and appreciate that. I've had couple of plays in professional theater and when it first happened, I was surprised how little effect it had on me. It was more like "that's it?"

I think I've reached the coveted point of caroe diem. I don't care about any achievements or what I will do or what I will be in 5 years. I concentrate on what is.

Dreamin

Pain, loss, alienation and confinement pushed me a bit far by my early 20s. 1 day I remember thinking "no one's home" in regards to mind/the world. The next decade has been a weird journey about no one were meaning floods my world regularly, often threatening, kindly, to drown the whole thing completely.

FunkMiller

I don't subscribe to the idea that there is no purpose. I believe that there is nothing but purpose. We make choices that determine what we see as fun and turn hobbies into what we'd like to do in life. It comes from within.

Spot on.

The only purpose in life is that which we define for ourselves. Don't go looking for anything outside yourself, as you're doomed to fail to find anything.

If you think life has no purpose, you'll never have purpose. If you create goals for yourself and strive to complete them, you'll have plenty of purpose.

Far too many people abdicate responsibility for their own direction in life, out of delusion, fear or laziness.

Build purpose from within, not from without.

Last edited:
Top Bottom