• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do I leave my job?

Umbasaborne

Banned
Im in the same boat. I hate my job so much that its actively affected my mental health and at one point suicidal (im seeing a therapist now). Ive been applying like crazy to other places, but its hard to feel motivated when your current job makes you feel mentally and emotionally drained

An update, i was on the verge of being fired, but i quit today instead. I have no clue what im gonna do, but im happy to be rid of that place forever

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Well OP first it's important to have something else lined up. A common saying is that it's much easier to find a job if you already have a job. If you're planning on going to school, that's pretty much the same but it's important to have something, anything else lined up.
  1. Set up a meeting or a call with your manager and then let him or her know that you are tendering your resignation and thank them for the opportunity to work for them and wish them the best of success in the future. If your manager asks you why, don't complain or anything bad about the company, just say you have a good opportunity that was impossible to turn down.
  2. Put exactly what you said to your manager in writing and give your formal written notice either to your manager or HR if there is one. Explicitly state that you are providing your two week notice and provide the date of your last day.
  3. If they try to counter offer, turn it down. You've already indicated that you're leaving and if you stay, I guarantee you will be the first one that comes to mind if they are contemplating layoffs.
  4. Always try to leave on good terms even if you hate the place. You can potentially use them as a reference in the future. If they don't handle your resignation well, who cares? Take the high ground. I suspect there's at least one person there who likes you and you can use them as a reference.
Good luck!

Last edited:

spinfive

Banned
I have been working 3 and a half years below minimum wage with no contract and need to get a new job but the issue I am facing is my current employers need 2 months to find a replacement and employers want me to start quickly.

I am getting all my applications refused

Irobot82

I have been working 3 and a half years below minimum wage with no contract and need to get a new job but the issue I am facing is my current employers need 2 months to find a replacement and employers want me to start quickly.

I am getting all my applications refused
Do what?

Just walk away. You don't owe your current employers a damn things. Accept a new job, go to current job, say I quit and be done.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Look sternly at all the inside walls. There should be a lit up EXIT sign in at least two places. Go right underneath that sign. There should be a window with handles on it. That is a door. Either push or pull the handles. Propel yourself through the new opening.

There. You left. I will take my payment in gold bars.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Coworker called the boss a little bitch at work then quit, we all still talk about it. I'd do something like that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom