• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Do You Decide Which Film You Want To Watch?

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
I was chatting with a friend at work today about how we decide what film you want to watch. He was telling me that before he watches a film, he'll read up on it, check out the trailer, reads reviews if they're available, or listens to audio reviews via podcasts, or if the film is out a week or so, he'll ask around to see what word of mouth is.

While my process is: I ask myself, have I seen this film before? If the answer is no, then I watch the film. I always believe every film deserves to be watched at least once.

So how do you decide? Do you check out the trailers/marketing beforehand? Or do you wait for reviews and see what score it has on RT? Do you check reviews first?

kunonabi

Generally I'll just watch the trailer. 99% of the time my response to the trailer matches up with how I feel about the film when I see it. Sometimes I'll read reviews if I get the feeling the movie is going to do something stupid.

Now if the premise, cast, or director are super appealing to my tastes than a lot of the time I'll just see it whether I watch the trailer or not.

mortal

Gold Member
I tend to go by actors, directors, & cinematographers that I like who worked on the film. Although every once in a while I'll watch a new Hollywood blockbuster if there's a lot of hype.
Besides that, I'll refer to reviewers with whom I share similar tastes in films and shows.

Don't really use RT since a lot of the stuff that I end up enjoying doesn't always review favorably and vice versa.

Fbh

Assuming it's a movie I'm not familiar with, by a director/writer I'm not familiar with and that it isn't known enough to have any sort of word of mouth going around, I usually watch a trailer and I also might check out IMDB.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Genre, Director, Cast, IP then word of mouth.
This as well as trailers, but Nope caught me out.

serious breaking bad GIF

I was chatting with a friend at work today about how we decide what film you want to watch. He was telling me that before he watches a film, he'll read up on it, check out the trailer, reads reviews if they're available, or listens to audio reviews via podcasts, or if the film is out a week or so, he'll ask around to see what word of mouth is.
I'm the friend that you work with, I'll do most of those things except listen to audio reviews or podcasts. I'll check the cinema website for interesting movies, then I'll hit Metacritic to see the scores, then read the movie listing information and watch the trailer.

Esca

I read the description and if I like that I'll watch the trailer and fits what I'm in the mood wise then I may look at user ratings but I'll usually watch it if I like what I read and see. Bonus points for nudity

I have a suspicion that I might even be slightly interested in a film, I’ll skip the trailer. It isn’t the end of the world if the movie ends up sucking. I can usually tell within the first 10-15 mins whether it’s worth watching.

If the genre is in my wheelhouse, I'll check the half the trailer and usually I'll know if it's something I wanna watch. You can analyze a lot about the movie from what they choose to show you: the cinematography, acting, action if there is any, dialogue, and plot. If available, I might check letterboxed on what people whose views align with mine say so I'll know what to expect. The score doesn't really matter so much, it's whether there's a chance for something satisfying for me personally in there somewhere.

Top Bottom