• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you feel about not getting a playstation games showcase every year?

Umbasaborne

Banned
We all thought it was a given that, even despite the lack of traditional e3, sony would have their annual big games show case. A showcase that is larger than the average state of play, and shows fresh gameplay of large first party projects in development, and announces brand new ones.

After all, despite the off season, both nintendo and microsoft had at least one “large” presentation this year. However, we are in November, and a playstation show case is no where to be seen.

Large ps centric third party announcements, like the silent hill 2 remake, resident evil 4, and final fantasy 16, were all shown in their own presentations, or in a smaller state of plays. It very much seems as if sony is going by their own playbook recently.

If they have nothing ready to show, then why have a showcase? The logic makes sense, and it makes more sense when you consider that microsoft and nintendo’s show cases this year largely consisted of indie games and smaller third party titles because many of their own projects were not ready to be shown. While i do miss getting my annual dose of playstation hype, i understand sony’s rationale for forgoing a showcase if things simply are not ready.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I might be alone on this but I'm type of person that dont care where the announcement happen as long as it happens.

For example I'm dying for Muramasa port for modern systems, I dont care where the announcements happens, in twitter, showcase or just drop trailer out of no where, as long as it happens.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
They don't?

full

Mahavastu

tbh, i am pretty disappointed by it. We do not know much about future 1st party games except maybe Spiderman2. I would really like to see something, anything... Sony, throw us some bones...

And even large stuff like the new PS+ and the new PSVR2 do not even get a State of Play, so Sony missed to tell the public WHY to get those, beside maybe some hidden blog post no one even notices...
Sony said that the PS+ upgrades sales disappointed because of bad marketing and the same could happen to PSVR2. And maybe to smaller exclusives and 1st party games beside the big bangers.

Just saw the 2016 E3 conference again a few days ago... We need something on that level...

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Yeah it's totally bonkers if you ask me. I miss the hype increase as the year goes by nearing E3, and then gafs hype train ride in the final month/weeks before it. Those were the days!

Current Sony marketing team sucks blue balls big time. They're all fucking genius i tell'ya.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
It is what it is. I'm fine with it, so long as Sony continues to preview their 1st party titles with the occasional trailers and SoP and actually release them within reasonable timeframes.

If they don't have enough titles that are ready to show off all at once, then why rush it?
Save them for a proper showcase in 2023. Otherwise they just run the risk of letting people down with a disappointing, lackluster show.

I think some people are just more addicted to hype and buzz (understandably so), but have grown accustomed to expect some sort of annual showcase just because, even when there's nothing to really show off just yet.

Umbasaborne

Banned
tbh, i am pretty disappointed by it. We do not know much about future 1st party games except maybe Spiderman2. I would really like to see something, anything... Sony, throw us some bones...

And even large stuff like the new PS+ and the new PSVR2 do not even get a State of Play, so Sony missed to tell the public WHY to get those, beside maybe some hidden blog post no one even notices...
Sony said that the PS+ upgrades sales disappointed because of bad marketing and the same could happen to PSVR2. And maybe to smaller exclusives and 1st party games beside the big bangers.

Just saw the 2016 E3 conference again a few days ago... We need something on that level...
Sadly, i think the days of epic press conferences with multiple triple a announcements are over for sony. While those shows were great, and I miss them terribly, they basically announced the entire ps4 line up within the first 3 years of the systems life cycle. Games simply take too long to make now. Hell, think of all the games microsoft announced, most of those likeky wont come out until the tail end of this console cycle. Triple a game development is more fucked then ever sadly.

Camreezie

As long as they relesse good games and you have something to look forward to I dont care. We already know a rough schedule for next year

Jan - Forspoken
Feb - Dead Space
March - Resident Evil 4

Thats not to mention Spiderman 2 and Silent Hill 2 confirmed for 2023.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I wouldn’t make this thread if I were you. Various people has indicate that a showcase is happening before the end of this year to reveal more PSVR2 games and unannounced PS5 games. Apparently It didn’t happened so far because Sony was preparing the launch of Ragnarok

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Didn't they have something a not so long time ago? Anyway, they're doing fine

Also, I'm more into "when the next gen will really start?"

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I don't care about showcases or big conferences and I only watch the first trailers for newly announced games (announcement trailer + gameplay trailer in most cases) so they won't spoil too much. If I like what I'm seeing it's going on my wishlist and I'm definitely not worried I won't have anything to play.

Last edited:

Elios83

It's just a psychological thing among certain core fans because most people don't give a fuck about these big shows.
Sony has been getting progressively away from them since 2018 because they don't want to feel forced to announce stuff and force their development teams to comply with a schedule dictated by event organizers.
This approach makes sense for them and it's what most publishers in the industry want.
Save money, announce things when they're ready and when they can get everyone's attention.

Consumers wise it's also better to have news potentially every week instead of waiting for a big event and if that ends up being a disappointment it's wait for next year.
Having announcements spread out let people focus on individual announcements and keep them in the news loop continously.
From September until now Sony had tons of announcements, way more than all their competitors.
I don't see any practical difference if things like Dualsense Edge, SH2 Remake, new FFXVI trailer, new RE4 trailer, new Hogwarts Legacy footage, Rise of Ronin, Stellar Blade, Tekken 8, PSVR2 launch details and whatever get announced in a single show or with individual announcements.
And there's still TGA for an other couple of surprises.

A showcase can still happen though if they feel there are many PlayStation Studios ready to announce stuff at the same time.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Look on the bright side: no more Deathloop trailers 🙏🏼
Yeah, deathloop is a prime example of how multiple delays and over exposure can really harm a game. If it managed to hit in the ps5 launch window like it initially was scheduled to, i bet it would have sold better as people were looking for more ps5 games by that point

Umbasaborne

Banned
Didn't they have something a not so long time ago? Anyway, they're doing fine

Also, I'm more into "when the next gen will really start?"
Same. It seemed like publishers, sony included, were very scared of losing that ps4 market share, but starting this year it seemed as if publishers got more comfortable with the idea of releasing games for new platforms only. Plague tale, gotham knights, and need for speed being 3 examples this year. I imagine that next year we will only get more current gen exclusive titles

Last edited:

Three

Gold Member
We get smaller state of play showcases throughout the year so I'm absolutely fine with that. We don't really need to have them in one show. We got Death Stranding 2 and Silent Hill Remake recently. What bothers me more is the constant rumours of a showcase more than anything else.

Labadal

If there isn't much to show: fine.

Announcing games a few years away is a bit boring.

Their smaller video showcases works for me.

Esca

I do miss them but it's whatever really. Long as they keep showing games that are coming out relatively soon with actual gameplay running on tthe ps5 in fine with it. But I do feel they really should of done a what's coming next year type of show to hype up holiday sales and owners.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
State of Plays are good now *knocks on wood*

And we've been getting really good games

Yes a big showcase would still be better but it's not a deal breaker for me

Top Bottom